The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
prunch
Seasoned Veteran
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 356

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Tony Carter is the most difficult CB to compete a pass against in the entire NFL

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/undraft...7580--nfl.html

"Combined, Chris Harris and Tony Carter have allowed just 23 completions in 59 attempts, and Carter is the toughest cornerback in the NFL to complete a pass against, according to STATS LLC.
Moving into the starting lineup opposite Champ Bailey, Harris has allowed only 16 completions in 34 passes thrown his way, and he's broken up a half-dozen throws.
Carter, who is playing in both the nickel and dime packages, is allowing a league-low completion percentage of just 28 (7 receptions in 25 attempts) among the league's 103 cornerbacks and who have been targeted at least 15 times.
Just as impressively, Carter has broken up as many passes as catches he's allowed."
prunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

That is friggin awesome!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer
 
Bigdawg26's Avatar
 
Just let it happen!!

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,915

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!
Default

I dunno, but he kinda reminds me of Foxworth when he was here. A thin cornerback that makes plays.
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
Action
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Yeah, I had already assumed this since I've been watching him play. I don't have the resources to find statistics, but I'm pretty sure Tony Carter has been locking down everyone he's been covering the past few starts.

Locking down, Champ Bailey elite status.

I'm not sure how they bench Tony Carter at this point TBH... he's literally playing like the best cover DB in the league.

Last edited by Action; 11-06-2012 at 04:34 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer
 
BroncoMan4ever's Avatar
 
That's just like your opinion, man

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 12,931

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
I dunno, but he kinda reminds me of Foxworth when he was here. A thin cornerback that makes plays.
He's better than Foxworth was.
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
HooptyHoops
We need a DE
 
HooptyHoops's Avatar
 
C'mon D

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: West Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,686

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal
Default

This is awesome! I was so worried about our corners at the beginning of the year, and now it seems to be a Strength!
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,228

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Teams are going to start attacking Bailey.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
OrangeSe7en
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

It's definitely been an unexpected bonus. Harris was showing promise last year but Carter has really had a break through this year.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
yerner
Ring of Famer
 
yerner's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Charlottesville VA
Posts: 3,861
Default

by far my favorite to watch right now. don't know anything about him though.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Yeah, I had already assumed this since I've been watching him play. I don't have the resources to find statistics, but I'm pretty sure Tony Carter has been locking down everyone he's been covering the past few starts.

Locking down, Champ Bailey elite status.

I'm not sure how they bench Tony Carter at this point TBH... he's literally playing like the best cover DB in the league.
It's good that our 3rd Cb is better than most team's 3rd WR......
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #11
SportinOne
Ring of Famer
 
SportinOne's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,733
Default

And I suppose I will take this opportunity to say that Rahim More has looked very solid lately. It's a shame Quinton Carter got hurt or that secondary would be even more beastly. What do we do with Porter when he's ready to play again? As far as nickel corners go, he'd have to be the best in the NFL wouldn't he?
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #12
Steve Prefontaine
Ring of Famer
 
Steve Prefontaine's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,402

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
I dunno, but he kinda reminds me of Foxworth when he was here. A thin cornerback that makes plays.
I really don't remember Foxworth making many plays. He played such soft coverage compared to Carter and Harris.
Steve Prefontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
by far my favorite to watch right now. don't know anything about him though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Carter_(cornerback)
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #14
lonestar
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: West Texas
Posts: 6,210

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker
Default

If Carter and Harris keep learning then we may have a replacement for Champ when he hangs them up..

Although having Champ on the other side I think skews some of the numbers..
his presence means that one Side of the field is taken away from the QB and thus gives the DL time to put more pressure on..

Time will tell..

FWIW Foxworth never impressed me..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #15
Inkana7
Ring of Famer
 
Inkana7's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,357

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe
Default

Carter has really, really impressed me. He and Carter both play with fantastic technique and are really good press man corners, and these skills combined with our pass rush are deadly. We really haven't seen how Carter is at tackling yet, but it's hard to be worse than Porter at that.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Gene helping John figure out FA

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 34,676

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
I dunno, but he kinda reminds me of Foxworth when he was here. A thin cornerback that makes plays.
He is more short than thin and he is much better than Fox was.

Carter got owned by Jeffery a couple times when I saw him play vs duh bears in PS but that was because he gave up about a foot. When I saw the mismatch I told my daughter to watch him and sure enough he gave up a couple catches.

Carter didn't play much early but has gotten much better after getting pressed into action due to Harris's injury.

Carter can elevate but he shouldn't be on tall guys like Jeffery or Johnson. That said he can elevate and has a lot of explosiveness.

Plus he has excellent man skills.

It is nice when guys like him make the roster and then make an impact!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #17
KipCorrington25
Free Safety
 
KipCorrington25's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Centennial
Posts: 3,476
Default

Foxworth sucked, that year he got cut he was beaten by scrubs all pre season...
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #18
Action
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
If Carter and Harris keep learning then we may have a replacement for Champ when he hangs them up..

Although having Champ on the other side I think skews some of the numbers..
his presence means that one Side of the field is taken away from the QB and thus gives the DL time to put more pressure on..

Time will tell..

FWIW Foxworth never impressed me..
This post made absolutely no sense.

How does having Champ on one side skew the numbers for the other cornerbacks in an advantageous way?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #19
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Gene helping John figure out FA

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 34,676

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
This post made absolutely no sense.

How does having Champ on one side skew the numbers for the other cornerbacks in an advantageous way?
I don't think Lonestar watched the Cincy game. Champ gave up a TD and a long pass to Green, they went at Champ quite a bit, he gave as good as he got though coming up with a game sealing INT.

Lonestar is wrong yet again.

FWIW I don't thing the back to back SB wins impressed him either.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #20
swaiy
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
It's good that our 3rd Cb is better than most team's 3rd WR......
Wouldnt he be better than most teams' number 2 since Tony Carter plays outside in nickel situations or do I have it backwards?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #21
cabronco
Broncos & LA Kings fan
 
PFM / Kopitar

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: So.Cal.
Posts: 5,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Superbowl Bound
Default

Tony Carter has been very impressive so far. I'm not sure how we aquired him, will need to research some. I also thought on a play in last Sundays game when Gresham was running down the sidelines, and I thought Moore was going to tackle Gresham. Carter was chasing him down too, but looked like he was getting held on his shoulder pad. Thought that was for sure going to be a flag. Oh well, I like the guys hustle and always seems be in good position.
cabronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #22
Binkythefrog
Seasoned Veteran
 

Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabronco View Post
Tony Carter has been very impressive so far. I'm not sure how we aquired him, will need to research some. I also thought on a play in last Sundays game when Gresham was running down the sidelines, and I thought Moore was going to tackle Gresham. Carter was chasing him down too, but looked like he was getting held on his shoulder pad. Thought that was for sure going to be a flag. Oh well, I like the guys hustle and always seems be in good position.
Denver took him as an un-drafted free agent, and then he went to New England, and then Minnesota and then came back to Denver in the middle of last season.

I remember hearing something weird on a NFL Network highlight of the Chargers game when Deion Sanders (I think) said he trained with Carter in the offseason (not sure if this is even true) but Neon Deon was one of the best pure cover players ever. Obviously this is light rail quality stuff.. but maybe it helped.
Binkythefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #23
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkythefrog View Post
Denver took him as an un-drafted free agent, and then he went to New England, and then Minnesota and then came back to Denver in the middle of last season.

I remember hearing something weird on a NFL Network highlight of the Chargers game when Deion Sanders (I think) said he trained with Carter in the offseason (not sure if this is even true) but Neon Deon was one of the best pure cover players ever. Obviously this is light rail quality stuff.. but maybe it helped.
Sanders probably did help him some as they both graduated from FSU....
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #24
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaiy View Post
Wouldnt he be better than most teams' number 2 since Tony Carter plays outside in nickel situations or do I have it backwards?
Perhaps...not sure....but let's just say we have the ability to put 3 quality CB's on the field more often than opponents can put 3 quality WR's
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #25
swaiy
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Perhaps...not sure....but let's just say we have the ability to put 3 quality CB's on the field more often than opponents can put 3 quality WR's
4 if you count Porter (when he gets his seizures squared away).
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:48 PM.


Denver Broncos