The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,818

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Question on Stats

I have a question on statistics rules.

Miller recorded only one sack today, in the first quarter. They dont call that car crash in the second half when he just plowed into Cam a sack? And when you force a fumble on the QB, I thought that was a sack-fumble?

Can I get the resident rules guru's to clarify?
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 36,397

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
I have a question on statistics rules.

Miller recorded only one sack today, in the first quarter. They dont call that car crash in the second half when he just plowed into Cam a sack? And when you force a fumble on the QB, I thought that was a sack-fumble?

Can I get the resident rules guru's to clarify?
The FF, is a sack... When it's on a QB and not Jonathan Stewart...
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
Tim
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Cam was a runner on the second one so it was just a tfl.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Cam was a runner on the second one so it was just a tfl.
So it's not a sack ?
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 10,775

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

The NFL will review plays like this and adjust stats tomorrow, they evaluate especially if tackles on a QB is a tackle for loss because it was a designed run play or if it is a sack on an emergency scramble.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
Tim
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson View Post
So it's not a sack ?
For now, no. But the league reviews games so I wouldn't be surprised to see a different outcome since he met him as soon as he got the ball
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Smilin Assassin
Tradition
 
Smilin Assassin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
For now, no. But the league reviews games so I wouldn't be surprised to see a different outcome since he met him as soon as he got the ball

Naw, it was clear Cam was running towards the line of scrimmage on that play when Von trucked him.

The first one still stands as a sack, though, leaving him .5 behind Watt for the NFL lead (10.5).

Of course, Watt may get 7 tonight vs that line. We shall see.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Gene helping John figure out FA

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 34,661

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums
Default

Miller had 3 Plays on Mewton at or behind the LOS, and forced at least 2 bad throws one of which that caused an INT.

He was a complete stud in all phases today.

Vickerson had some nice plays today as well, he had a sack and had a run stop on Stewart that had he not been able to escape his block and bring Stewart down, it would have gone for a long gain.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
Tim
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Yep game ball to miller despite what the stat sheet reads imo
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!
 
GreatBronco16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bama Baby
Posts: 6,255

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense
Default

I allways thought that if the QB was tackled behind the LOS, then is goes down as a sack, regardless if it is a designed run or not.
GreatBronco16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer
 
Hercules Rockefeller's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 16,159

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
I allways thought that if the QB was tackled behind the LOS, then is goes down as a sack, regardless if it is a designed run or not.
Nope. If it's clear he's a runner and it's not a pass play, only a TFL.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,818

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
The FF, is a sack... When it's on a QB and not Jonathan Stewart...
Yeah I got the Dumervil forced fumble mixed up with Von's on Stewart.

Still, not sure about the when he plowed into Cam. Cam may have been running but I think that was a direct result of Von being right in his face almost as soon as he got the ball.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 10,775

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Yeah I got the Dumervil forced fumble mixed up with Von's on Stewart.

Still, not sure about the when he plowed into Cam. Cam may have been running but I think that was a direct result of Von being right in his face almost as soon as he got the ball.
If the QB runs to escape pressure they tend to count it as a sack, this one could be changed tomorrow morning.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #14
SportinOne
Ring of Famer
 
SportinOne's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,733
Default

as NFL fans, we get really hung up on certain stats. Sacks is a huge one but very deceiving at times in terms of overall performance. If you watched this game today, you would know that Von was playing at an extremely high level. He's tough, too. Got demolished on that block and got right back up, got his ankle smashed on by Vickerson of all people and was only out a few plays.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #15
Smilin Assassin
Tradition
 
Smilin Assassin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportinOne View Post
as NFL fans, we get really hung up on certain stats. Sacks is a huge one but very deceiving at times in terms of overall performance. If you watched this game today, you would know that Von was playing at an extremely high level. He's tough, too. Got demolished on that block and got right back up, got his ankle smashed on by Vickerson of all people and was only out a few plays.

I think we (Broncos fans) can see him ballin out there. But, sacks have always been one of those "Big stats". Not just for the fans, but media as well.

Would be nice to see Von get that crown at yrs end. (along with a Super Bowl ring)
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #16
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,818

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportinOne View Post
as NFL fans, we get really hung up on certain stats. Sacks is a huge one but very deceiving at times in terms of overall performance. If you watched this game today, you would know that Von was playing at an extremely high level. He's tough, too. Got demolished on that block and got right back up, got his ankle smashed on by Vickerson of all people and was only out a few plays.
1 sack ro 2, Von Miller is likely to get defensive plaer of the week. 4 TFLs, 1 QB hit, like 8 QB pressures one of which led to a pick six and good lord he was just unblockable.

I was just wondering how the stat thing worked in certain situations.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #17
Harvitz81
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NM
Posts: 2,019

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Robert Ayers
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
1 sack ro 2, Von Miller is likely to get defensive plaer of the week. 4 TFLs, 1 QB hit, like 8 QB pressures one of which led to a pick six and good lord he was just unblockable.

I was just wondering how the stat thing worked in certain situations.
Forced fumble in there as well
Harvitz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #18
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 18,426

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

The second "sack" def looked like a designed run. I dont think cam adjusted on the fly. I dont recall him even dropping back. Regardless, sweet play by Von
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #19
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Go Avs!

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 44,474

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke
Default

This explains my confusion as well. I was hoping it was two or three sacks. When I saw he got just one I had a sad.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #20
DHallblows
Ring of Famer
 
DHallblows's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 2,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Nope. If it's clear he's a runner and it's not a pass play, only a TFL.
Sounds arbitrary
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #21
Bronc62
Solid Starter
 
Bronc62's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 220

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

I thought Von might have an outside shot of picking up an extra sack on the play where he nailed Newton barely after he received the shotgun snap, but only D. Ware of Cowboys had a sack revision today by Elias Sports.

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com...wednesday.html
Bronc62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:22 AM.


Denver Broncos