The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 06:28 AM   #1
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Default 10 games in London?

Came across this little nugget this morning on Fox Soccer show.

QPR (Queen Park Rangers) are attempt to move into the new Olympics Stadium in London, but they have hit a major problem. The NFL has made a pitch to rent the stadium for 10 games starting next season. This is because of the 80,000 folks that went to the NE/St. Louis game this year. Right now the Staduim ownership is leaning to NFL proposal because it leave the park open for other events during the year

What do you think? Is the first step of moving a team to London? Or international expansion?
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

This Commish and these owners just can't keep themselves from ****ing up a good thing.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:33 AM   #3
OrangeSe7en

10 games a season or ten games over several seasons? It seems like the latter because of their reference to having the stadium open the rest of the time.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I think if they successfully fill it for 10 games in 2013 that the Jaguars will be there starting 2014
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:36 AM   #5
OrangeSe7en

A team in London would have a big advantage. There is a HUGE difference between the jetlag going to Europe vs going from Europe to the States. But on the other hand, it would be kind of good fro the east coast teams suffer from this disadvantage when going there, since teams in the west have had to deal with this disadvantage when going to the east coast for years.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
10 games a season or ten games over several seasons? It seems like the latter because of their reference to having the stadium open the rest of the time.
10 games a season, not several seasons. An EPL team play up to 3 games a week, when you include the international games, and their season is about 8 months. With NFL games you only have 10 weekends to worry about during 4 month window.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
A team in London would have a big advantage. There is a HUGE difference between the jetlag going to Europe vs going from Europe to the States. But on the other hand, it would be kind of good fro the east coast teams suffer from this disadvantage when going there, since teams in the west have had to deal with this disadvantage when going to the east coast for years.
But the London team would have to travel across the ocean a whole lot more often. They'd have to accommodate somehow with the scheduling... the only thing I can think of that would make sense would be scheduling four game blocks for the team... two four game stateside road trips and two four game home stands.

A Super Bowl in London might be cool. The game would have to start a lot earlier stateside though.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

I really hate the London idea. If we have to see games outside the USA I would much rather see Canada and Mexico.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #9
Mile High 81
Solid Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
I really hate the London idea. If we have to see games outside the USA I would much rather see Canada and Mexico.
im from Europe and I hate the idea too.

1 or 2 Game is cool, but sending a franchse over here would suck.
Mile High 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #10
broncoblue
english not british!!

stuff a london team ...my team IS, WAS AND ALWAYS WILL be Broncos til the day I day.
broncoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #11
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

here's a couple articles, one specific to OP

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/oth...=feeds-newsxml

and one is about the issues with having games over here..
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/a...110537167.html

I am ambivalent about it to be honest. I think 2 games a year is reasonable, not not sure about the 10 games. But if they are serious about permanently having a team, well they have to start somewhere I suppose and London is a huge city. It feasibly could support a team more than some places in the US. Best bet would be the Jags I guess since they have **** attendance now. If they did it, they might have to take a look about how the conferences and teams are set up now and put them in an eastern conference or something.
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #12
lolcopter

lolengland
lollondon
lolrogergoodellllllll
Old 11-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #13
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss I. View Post
I am ambivalent about it to be honest. I think 2 games a year is reasonable, not not sure about the 10 games. But if they are serious about permanently having a team, well they have to start somewhere I suppose and London is a huge city. It feasibly could support a team more than some places in the US. Best bet would be the Jags I guess since they have **** attendance now. If they did it, they might have to take a look about how the conferences and teams are set up now and put them in an eastern conference or something.
I agree with you I think. I've never had a problem with the 1 London game at all. In fact, the NFL should always be trying to grow the sport. With that said, 10 games in one year could be tough, trying to work out all the byes, etc. And if they legitimately want a team out there, I agree, they have to put them in the AFC East from a logistics standpoint, and I think that would require re-alignment. Maybe the easy answer is move Jacksonville to the AFC East, move them to London, and then move Miami to the AFC South? I think for division games you have to try and limit the travel as much as possible, and facing NYJ, BUF, and NE would solve that, although still clearly not ideal.

I'm definitely more skeptical about having a team over there. It comes up in the NBA too. I just don't know if the travel involved on a week to week basis can really work.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #14
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
10 games a season, not several seasons. An EPL team play up to 3 games a week, when you include the international games, and their season is about 8 months. With NFL games you only have 10 weekends to worry about during 4 month window.
We should play the London games on Tuesday night. That would allow the teams to travel on Sunday have a day to acclimate and as a bonus have a Tuesday night game.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #15
spiralism

Couldn't see QPR putting more than 40k in that ground tbh and they play in Hammersmith, the opposite end of London. The City council is just trying to keep a team from moving in imo, they already turned down Spurs and West Ham and both make far more sense than QPR. I'm sure Goodell proposed it but is it really legit or an enquiry?
Old 11-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #16
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
We should play the London games on Tuesday night. That would allow the teams to travel on Sunday have a day to acclimate and as a bonus have a Tuesday night game.
Tuesday night games? That doesn't quite make sense considering the time differential for American viewers to be able to watch it. They'd be kicking off at 10pm in London for a 4pm slot in the US on Central time.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

NOOOOOOOOO!!!
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #18
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Why aren't we pushing more for Canada and Mexico? What is it about the UK that is so attractive?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #19
Agamemnon

**** this ****. That is all.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #20
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Why aren't we pushing more for Canada and Mexico? What is it about the UK that is so attractive?
Gateway to Europe and a world football league
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #21
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss I. View Post
here's a couple articles, one specific to OP

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/oth...=feeds-newsxml

and one is about the issues with having games over here..
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/a...110537167.html

It's not reasonable. The reason it's not reasonable is because American based teams are losing home games. Too much is spent on stadiums with public funds under the justification that it benefits a lot of people.

Having a team there would remove that issue.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #22
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post
But the London team would have to travel across the ocean a whole lot more often. They'd have to accommodate somehow with the scheduling... the only thing I can think of that would make sense would be scheduling four game blocks for the team... two four game stateside road trips and two four game home stands.

A Super Bowl in London might be cool. The game would have to start a lot earlier stateside though.
Once again, the jetlag going west isn't nearly as bad as it is going east. So, it wouldnt be as much of an issue for a London team going west as it would be for other teams going east.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #23
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Gateway to Europe and a world football league
By that logic we should start a league in China.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #24
broncoblue
english not british!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

ME !!!!!!
broncoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #25
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncoblue View Post

ME !!!!!!
OK, I get the get up but what's with the Teddy Bear?