The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis
Default Wesley Woodyard article on SI.com

Good to see Woodyard getting some national recognition after his huge game against the Saints:

"Denver Broncos linebacker Wesley Woodyard has two rituals he follows before every game.

He prays three times: once before going out for warm-ups, again with his teammates and, finally, right before he takes the field for the game. He also texts five family members: his mom, Edna Rutledge; his dad, Wesley Woodyard Sr.; his older brother, Jazmon Griggs; his cousin, Derrick Kelley; and his fiancée, Veronica Whitehead.

The texts often vary, but his message to his mom usually is the same. He lets her know that he's going to make her proud.

After what Woodyard did in last Sunday night's 34-14 victory over Drew Brees and the Saints -- he had 13 tackles (9 solos), a sack, an interception, a forced fumble, two passes defended and a tackle for loss -- his family, friends, former coaches and every linebacker in the Pro Football Hall of Fame should have swelled with pride.

It was an extraordinary performance for any defensive player, much less for one who came into the NFL a little over four years ago as an undrafted rookie. This is how Woodyard explained it.

"It was one of those things where, throughout the week, you watch film and coaches put in plays and some of the things they've drawn up end up playing out the way you've been working on the whole week, and it just happens," he said. "Once you get going, you don't want to look back. You want to fly around and find that football and make something happen for your teammates."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz2BAegC6v4
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Hell of a game statistically.

Maybe we should look at DJ's suspension as a blessing. Had it not happened all that talent may be sitting on the bench undiscovered.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Love WW.

Great story!
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

WW>DJ
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Woodyard is one of those guys who just makes plays, there are so many flaws you can point out but he just makes plays.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
Bacchus

Nobody was singing Woodyard's praises against Pittsburgh, N.E. and Houston. That is because those teams ran the ball which Woodyard struggles against. I think the NFL is moving so much to the pass that LBers like WW will be the norm but they will struggle against the run. I am glad that he has played well agains the Saints and if Denver's offense gets on track in the first half the other teams will be forced to pass which will play into WW's strengths. If Denver sees Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Houston in the playoffs WW will not be the dominant player he shows against passing teams.

Maybe he'll play better against running teams but I haven't seen that yet.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
Greatspirits
Perennial Pro-bowler

"Little Von!"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trev

The guys been ballin! Still would like to see how he holds up against a power running team though.
Greatspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatspirits View Post
The guys been ballin! Still would like to see how he holds up against a power running team though.
To be honest it's not just him, but the whole team who struggles against power running teams. Don't quote me buti think the schedule going forward is favorable as there are no powerhouse run teams left. So that helps, but teams will try to exploit that.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
kappys
Ring of Famer

“It will be of little avail to the

Kind of strange how many undrafted FA's we have on this team. I'm not sure what the typical average for most teams is but we feature

Mike Adams
Lance Ball
Aaron Brewer
Tony Carter
Chris Clark
Britton Colquit
CJ Davis
Caleb Hanie
Chris Harris
Duke Ihenacho
Steven Johnson
Jim Leonhard
Matt Prater
Sealver Siliga
Mitch Unrein
Matt Willis
Wesley Woodyard
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Nobody was singing Woodyard's praises against Pittsburgh, N.E. and Houston. That is because those teams ran the ball which Woodyard struggles against. I think the NFL is moving so much to the pass that LBers like WW will be the norm but they will struggle against the run. I am glad that he has played well agains the Saints and if Denver's offense gets on track in the first half the other teams will be forced to pass which will play into WW's strengths. If Denver sees Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Houston in the playoffs WW will not be the dominant player he shows against passing teams.

Pittsburgh? They ran for 75 yards with. 2.9 ypc.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
kappys
Ring of Famer

“It will be of little avail to the

Quote:

I disagree entirely - I think he played well in those games. The difference with the Saints was that he turned in a defensive player of the week performance as opposed to just a good performance like he did against the other teams
kappys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappys View Post
I disagree entirely - I think he played well in those games. The difference with the Saints was that he turned in a defensive player of the week performance as opposed to just a good performance like he did against the other teams
Right! I just don't get what some people here see and say.
It just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Bottom line is that WW is making plays all over the field; run or pass.

That NE game was just a defensive debacle period. And since replacing KB with JM, we haven't seen any performance against the run as such.
Broncos4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Good thing McCheat didn't figure out this guy had talent he would have been traded for a couple used jocks or something.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #14
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Hell of a game statistically.

Maybe we should look at DJ's suspension as a blessing. Had it not happened all that talent may be sitting on the bench undiscovered.
Word. Thanks for being a turd, DJ. Seriously
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #15
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Kind of strange how many undrafted FA's we have on this team. I'm not sure what the typical average for most teams is but we feature

Mike Adams
Lance Ball
Aaron Brewer
Tony Carter
Chris Clark
Britton Colquit
CJ Davis
Caleb Hanie
Chris Harris
Duke Ihenacho
Steven Johnson
Jim Leonhard
Matt Prater
Sealver Siliga
Mitch Unrein
Matt Willis
Wesley Woodyard

Some would consider this being cheap.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #16
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Some are also considered retarded
Old 11-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #17
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

We need to be "cheap" and lock up some of these young guns before their contracts run out. Pay them now so you don't pay full price later, where possible. Philly used to be one of the best teams at the league at doing that--identify the talent early and pay them appropriately.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
Bacchus

Quote:
Go back and read those gameday threads. Many people were calling for his head.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #19
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:

I think your wrong here..

While I have not studied the tapes like I used to, IIRC most of those running yards were up the gut, not at WW or on his side.. except the HOU game he has not had less that 6 tackles a game.. in the HOU game he had a pass defensed as well as a Pick which he returned for 7 yards....

just maybe you have been watching him closer than most of us or have an agenda for DJ.. not sure which it is..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #20
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Go back and read those gameday threads. Many people were calling for his head.
Woodyard played poorly against NE, just like the rest of the defense. Against PIT, he had a sack, 2 hurries and 11 tackles. He only played 15 snaps against HOU and still had an interception. Seems like he's had one bad game out of 7 so far.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #21
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=107126

Haters
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #22
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Or some would consider it being really good talent evaluators for guys that slipped through teh cracks?

Adams, Carter, Harris, Prater, Leonhard, Willis, Unrein, Woodyard and Colquitt all see significant playing time.

And lest we forget, an all time Bronco great went undrafted.

Good players can be found, hitting on that many (sans Leonhard, someone else found him) is really really good talent evaluation IMO.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #23
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Woodyard played poorly against NE, just like the rest of the defense. Against PIT, he had a sack, 2 hurries and 11 tackles. He only played 15 snaps against HOU and still had an interception. Seems like he's had one bad game out of 7 so far.
You know what the common denominator was with New England and Houston? Joe Mays was starting.

Listening to local radio the past few weeks and particularly when he was benched, the coaches were reportedly irate with him for his communication and screw ups with alignments.

Mays clearly wasn't the entire issue, as this defense still has deficiencies, but he expounded them with his poor play. Woodyard is not great against the run, he doesn't always look pretty, but he also makes a lot more positive plays than some other LB's on the team.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #24
Cosmo
Perennial Pro-bowler

Not to blow my own horn here, but....

I called for Mays Benching, and more WW and DTrev since week 2. Only surprise is the fact that old man Brooking has held up.

I still think the biggest weakness currently on our team isn't defensive tackle, but Mike Adams.

When DJ comes back, he should play 1st and 2nd at MLB, and let DTrev play on 3rd down.
Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #25
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:

Mike Adams
Lance Ball
Aaron Brewer
Tony Carter
Chris Clark
Britton Colquit
CJ Davis
Caleb Hanie
Chris Harris
Duke Ihenacho
Steven Johnson
Jim Leonhard
Matt Prater
Sealver Siliga
Mitch Unrein
Matt Willis
Wesley Woodyard
I think that stat is nothing short of amazing. They other piece is how many of them a contributing
baja is offline   Reply With Quote