The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Brandon Stokley cringes a bit at miracle catch

Brandon Stokley cringes a bit at miracle catch

By ARNIE STAPLETON (AP Pro Football Writer) | The Associated Press 1 hour 27 minutes ago

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis isn't the only one haunted by the ''Immaculate Deflection.''

So is Brandon Stokley, the wide receiver who caught the batted ball and raced 87 yards for the score with 11 seconds left, giving Denver an improbable 12-7 win at Cincinnati in the 2009 opener.

Lewis, whose Bengals (3-4) host the Broncos (4-3) Sunday, said, ''Brandon runs through my mind all the time.'' Stokley said he, too, has bad dreams about that play in which he cradled cornerback Leon Hall's deflection at midfield and outraced linebacker Dhani Jones into the end zone.

It was the longest winning play from scrimmage in the final minute of a game in NFL history.

When Jones started to pull up, Stokley had the presence of mind to tick an extra four seconds off the clock by veering right and running parallel to the goal line for several strides before stepping into the end zone.

Although Stokley was lauded as a heady veteran for the savvy move, he admitted this week that he'd do things differently today.

''I just kind of saw that nobody was behind me chasing me. I saw a guy kind of give up on it. I knew there wasn't a lot of time left, so I thought why not try to run some time off?'' Stokley said. ''And then the next day, I kind of started having nightmares about it: What if I'd have gotten caught? What if I had fumbled? What if somebody would have hit me? I think next time I'll probably just get in the end zone.''

The ''Immaculate Deflection,'' as it was immediately dubbed, sparked the Broncos to a 6-0 start that season.

''Well, we got lucky, plain and simple,'' Champ Bailey said of that outlandish touchdown, which came after the Bengals had gone up 7-6 on Cedric Benson's 1-yard TD run with 38 seconds left. ''Stokley, he's a crafty vet. He just made a play. He was in the right place at the right time.''

If his eyes had deceived him, however, or he flubbed the football somehow before scoring, Stokley would have been more like Leon Lett and not like Don Beebe, the protagonists in the famous Super Bowl play in which the Buffalo Bills wide receiver knocked away the ball from the Dallas Cowboys lineman as he prematurely celebrated a touchdown return two decades ago.

''I just thought it was kind of smart to waste some time,'' Stokley said. ''But crazy things happen.''

Stokley saved the ball and gloves, which he has in his home office in Castle Rock, Colo., along with a couple of photos of him and his teammates celebrating the implausible touchdown.

All winter, that might as well have been a shrine to Stokley's career, which he figured was over after a thigh injury led to his release from the New York Giants after two games and just one catch last season.

For The Rest...http://sports.yahoo.com/news/brandon...9058--nfl.html

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Great play.

Odd...you had Orton, Marshall, Scheffler, and Stokes. Odd seeing that mix of guys today. Great play!!!
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

professional football player. that's even bigger than his on field contribution.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I have nightmares about that game too. Can you believe Orton was ever our quarterback! Or Josh McDaniels our coach!
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

wow what a game, i left the house and my parents recorded it.

They said, you should watch the end of it and I said NO!!! lol, I did about an hour later and was amazed
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #6
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

That was one of the few bright moments from the McDaniels era.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #7
enjolras
Ring of Famer

That play was so much fun. I was sitting on my couch watching and just kind of pouting. My wife had given up and was in the bedroom reading....

I kind of lost my mind in the end
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:56 AM   #8
DENVERDUI55

It really wouldn't of been a big deal if he was tackled at the one. We could of kicked FG and won still.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
It really wouldn't of been a big deal if he was tackled at the one. We could of kicked FG and won still.
It's more exciting when you score the TD.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
cousinal11
East Coast Bronco

When he caught the tip I jumped up and hit my head on the ceiling fan. It hasn't worked since.
cousinal11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #11
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Can you believe Orton was ever our quarterback! Or Josh McDaniels our coach!

No.
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote