The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
prunch
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Elway Love

Just got to chime in again with some love for the duke.

Man, I remember waaay back when he was selected as our head of football operations reading in PFT that an unnamed AFC personnel man was delighted we hired Elway (you still delighted now buddy?).

The Tebow to Manning transition was spectacular from an exec point of view but also ....

I was basking in our victory and reading various posts and reading about Virgil Green, Ronnie Hillman, Rahim Moore, Chris Harris, Tony Carter, Orlando Franklin, Danny Trevethan, Von Miller, Brandon Stokley, Dan Koppen and Derek Wolfe. My god, almost in no time Elway has brought in a bunch of players and you will notice that most of that list is young, real young, but contributed heavily to the success we are having. Add 3-4 more players to that list that i'm missing. There are a lot of day 2 and day 3 of the draft players playing well.

Wow what an overhaul in two years from the dark, dark last days of the McDaniels era.

Exec of the year (if not decade) already. One last comeback from the Duke!
prunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Drunken.Broncoholic

All fueled by Elways jealousy of Tebow?
Old 10-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Not sure if anyone else saw it but on NBC sports this morning Costas sat down with Elway had about 30 minutes of the hour talking to him.. pretty good interview.

In case anyone had/has a doubt John said he was the GM of the team although his title is different. All player moves, personnel moves are done by him the buck stops at his desk..

He talked about his playing days as well as his retirement and everything after. But did not get into personal life.. he did not say what candy he will be giving out on Halloween..

Worth watching if you can see a repeat of it..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Way back Way back for me is in high school at Granada Hills HS. kids.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
All fueled by wanting an NFL caliber team, not a project
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #6
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
All fueled by wanting an NFL caliber team, not a project
He did mention in the interview that HAD Manning not been available that Tebow would have been competing for the QB spot this year, he would not have been the automatic starter.. that was as committal as he would be..
Old 10-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #7
CEH
Ring of Famer

My guess is Elway would have drafted Weeden

Remember whom Elway wanted as his first HC? A guy named Jim Harbaugh who has his team dismembering other teams this year

As far as Tebow either Sprano is the most incompentent OC ever or Rex and Co didn't want Tebow. Sorry by even the clueless McCoy would find ways to use Tebow/Dirty together to score TDs

They were so serect during the preseason with how they would use Tebow and now almost half way through they have him punt protecting

The owner wanted Tebow and the circus and Rex has shut it down

I do give Rex credit for not allowing the Tebow circus to come to town
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:10 AM   #8
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by prunch View Post
Exec of the year (if not decade) already. One last comeback from the Duke!
Great point ... Manning mentioned John's love/respect for the game at the top of his list of reasons he chose Denver. So even though signing him was a no-brainer, John gets the credit he came. Plus if we hold on to win the West, we'll be AFC West Champs both his years in charge.

Where's Agamemnon?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:42 AM   #9
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

The FO is a joke. Fire them all.

- go_broncos
bowtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #10
CEH
Ring of Famer

Trevathan will provide more benefit to Denver than Tebow will in NYJ and that is who we selected with the Tebow pick

Another quality pick from Elway and Co
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
prunch
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
I don't think we need to get into a Tebow debate on this. Simply looking at the team "before and after" as a whole, it is very impressive. Remember that Pioli has had 4 years to transform Kansas city and viola!, look at that top tier exec do his thing when Elway might have been considered a rank amateur.

It really is very impressive if you can get away from any fixation on one player or the other. When you consider we were the 2nd worse team in football when he took over.
prunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
My guess is Elway would have drafted Weeden
Exactly what I was thinking. I still think Weeden is going to turn out to be a good pro.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
I don't think we need to get into a Tebow debate on this. Simply looking at the team "before and after" as a whole, it is very impressive. Remember that Pioli has had 4 years to transform Kansas city and viola!, look at that top tier exec do his thing when Elway might have been considered a rank amateur.

It really is very impressive if you can get away from any fixation on one player or the other. When you consider we were the 2nd worse team in football when he took over.
Pioli style rebuild: trade all stars on the team for draft pics. Draft scrubs with those picks. Get Matt Cassel.

on second thought - does that plan sound familiar to anyone else?
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #14
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

I think the biggest difference with John Elway is that he genuinely loves this organisation and wants to do what's best for them.

A lot of FO guys are more interested in doing what's best for them first.

THAT'S why he was okay with cutting Drayton Florence in favor of Tony Carter. It didn't make the FO look good when his $3million signing bonus was wasted but ultimately the move was a better one for the team.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Great point ... Manning mentioned John's love/respect for the game at the top of his list of reasons he chose Denver. So even though signing him was a no-brainer, John gets the credit he came. Plus if we hold on to win the West, we'll be AFC West Champs both his years in charge.

Where's Agamemnon?
Sure will be nice to win consecutive AFC West titles, been too long since that occurred.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #16
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

4-12 and joke of the league with spygate 2.0 and and coaches getting fired during the season to defending division champs and possibly one of the best teams in the conference

Yeah he has done ok

What I like to is how much respect others have for him
We have been able to bring in some knowledge respected minds like Manning and Del Rio

I think he has helped in that area so much
People now want to actually come play and coach here
Elway has made us a premier organization again after McDaniels plunged it into the gutter

With Peyton playing as well as he is, if Elway can continue to build the talent on this team like he has been we could be be an elite team before too long
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #17
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Sure will be nice to win consecutive AFC West titles, been too long since that occurred.
I don't think the Broncos have ever done it... I think the strike year was the only time, and that shouldn't count.

* edit: Ok I was wrong.

We repeated in 1977 and 1978 and 1986 and 1987 (the strike year). Point being, Elway never really did this as a player.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #18
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk idiot kicker View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. I still think Weeden is going to turn out to be a good pro.
for six years maybe.. then what.. they would have never drafted him with Manning here.. then they might have gotten 4 years out of him at best..
Old 10-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #19
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:

Actually there were 3 teams with the same record..

BUF, DEN and CIN 4-12 and only because of tie breakers did we get the second pick.. and right behind them were AZ and CLE..

SO while you are technically correct there were a lot of teams that sucked that year..
Old 10-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #20
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
I don't think the Broncos have ever done it... I think the strike year was the only time, and that shouldn't count.

* edit: Ok I was wrong.

We repeated in 1977 and 1978 and 1986 and 1987 (the strike year). Point being, Elway never really did this as a player.
with john being drafted in 83 he was part of that strike year repeat.. IIRC started 12 games that year..

Last edited by lonestar; 10-30-2012 at 12:44 PM..
Old 10-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #21
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
4-12 and joke of the league with spygate 2.0 and and coaches getting fired during the season to defending division champs and possibly one of the best teams in the conference

Yeah he has done ok

What I like to is how much respect others have for him
We have been able to bring in some knowledge respected minds like Manning and Del Rio

I think he has helped in that area so much
People now want to actually come play and coach here
Elway has made us a premier organization again after McDaniels plunged it into the gutter

With Peyton playing as well as he is, if Elway can continue to build the talent on this team like he has been we could be be an elite team before too long
Elway certainly has the D rising, and maybe the most competent coaching staff overall since 1998.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote