The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Default Another bust for the Raiders "Less Rolando McClain is better for Raiders as LB loses play time"

Quote:

ALAMEDA -- Raiders coach Dennis Allen talked about making a few "tweaks" during the bye week. One of those changes manifested itself in rookie linebacker Miles Burris supplanting Rolando McClain in the nickel defense.

In the first four games, Burris was the linebacker coming off the field whenever the Raiders went with an extra defensive back in their so-called nickel package. McClain became that guy Sunday against the Atlanta Falcons.

McClain's snaps dropped from 73 snaps against Denver on Sept. 30 to 17 against the Falcons on Sunday.

By comparison, Burris played 27 of the 77 snaps against the Broncos and all 55 against the Falcons.

Allen said he doesn't foresee getting away from this alignment, given how well Burris played against the Falcons.

"Every week, we're going to evaluate and see where we're at, but he did enough to earn the right to be back out there in nickel situations," Allen said.

McClain, a first-round draft pick in 2010, has started 34 of 37 games and arrived as the projected linchpin of the Raiders defense.

In Burris, Allen sees a young player who gets better each game.

"He's not a repeat mistake offender," Allen said. "He makes the corrections, understands football and concepts and makes adjustments."

In the postgame locker room, McClain was relatively pleased with how the defense performed.

"We played pretty good this week," McClain said. "We were locked in, had a very good week ofpractice, coming off the bye week. But they're a good team, and they made the plays they needed at the times they needed them."

With the way Reggie McKenzie has cleaned house it wouldn’t at all be surprising to see the Raiders part ways with Rolando McClain. With a possible jail sentence looming there is already reason to believe the Raiders will be Rolando-less at some point be it either jail time or a league mandated suspension. But beyond that there is now some evidence of Dennis Allen slowly phasing McClain out of Oakland.

During the bye week Allen and his staff took a good look at the current roster to sort things out in order to improve on the awful showing during the first month of the season. Though they didn’t win there was plenty of improvement across the board during Oakland’s heartbreaking loss in Atlanta.

One such area in which the Raiders improved mightily was getting the Falcons off the field on third down. A big part of that was due to the presence of Miles Burris in Oakland’s nickel package. That would be the same rookie that worked his way into the starting lineup once Aaron Curry was out of action and now threatens to take even more reps from McClain.

Coming out of Alabama the book on McClain was always that he was much better against the run than he was defending the pass. Not much has changed in that department after nearly two and a half years into his pro career. Even more concerning is that McClain hasn’t at all been as advertised in regards to his prowess defending the run. In fact he seems to be playing the worst ball of his career under the new Raiders regime.

With Curry set to rejoin the team in practice this week and Burris poised to pilfer even more reps we could be looking at the end of McClain’s days in the East Bay. Raider Nation wasn’t too impressed with McClain’s jogging act during the lopsided loss in Denver. Now it would appear the coaching staff is prepared to play McClain less and less in hopes of getting more production out of a disappointing yet hopefully improving defense.

While Burris is only getting McClain’s snaps in nickel packages it feels like it’s only a matter of time until Burris or even Curry get a shot at starting in the middle thus removing McClain from the field on all downs.
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
Action

McClain is actually a really good player when he's playing at full potential. I'd chalk his under performance due to his mind not being fully there, not that he's not a good football player... he's shown it.

He'd be an upgrade to anything we have right now... but at the same time he'd be best in a 2-gapping 3-4 defense.

Last edited by Action; 10-17-2012 at 06:03 PM..
Old 10-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
McClain is actually a really good player when he's playing at full potential. I'd chalk his under performance due to his mind not being fully there, not that he's not a good football player... he's shown it.

He'd be an upgrade to anything we have right now.
I don't know Raiders fans hate him I got this from a sports forum on another site. They actually said they would rather have Joe Mays. I watched him in the game against us he was dogging on plays and was in the wrong places a lot.

We know hes not very smart already (see picture).

Last edited by KevinJames; 10-17-2012 at 06:06 PM..
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJames View Post
I don't know Raiders fans hate him I got this from a sports forum on another site. They actually said they would rather have Joe Mays.

We know hes not very smart already (see picture).
It's odd, because he had such a high football IQ coming out of college. I saw him play and he had elite football instinct... always getting his teammates in the right position.

He has been playing poorly this season but from what I remember he was good the past 2 years.

I'm almost positive his poor play is due to lack of effort and his mind just not being there. I mean when you wear that black and silver, you'd probably think about ordering some zoloft or prozac.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if we traded Joe Mays for him.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
It's odd, because he had such a high football IQ coming out of college. I saw him play and he had elite football instinct... always getting his teammates in the right position.

He has been playing poorly this season but from what I remember he was good the past 2 years.

I'm almost positive his poor play is due to lack of effort and his mind just not being there. I mean when you wear that black and silver, you'd probably think about ordering some zoloft or prozac.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if we traded Joe Mays for him.
Raiders can keep their thug trash
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I think the variation in snaps is more reflective of how much more 11 personnel we play over Atlanta...
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I really liked him coming out of Alabama, but there must be too much mercury in the water down there in Oakland, because so many talented people go there and start playing like crap.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Was a big fan of his in college. Truly dominating player who seemed to be the complete package. I still think if you got him out of that Oakland cesspool he could perform at a high level.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

The bad news is it looks like Burris may be a good draft pick for the faiders.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:38 AM   #10
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

I heard they might be shopping McFadden as well.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #11
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I heard they might be shopping McFadden as well.
Bowe wants out of KC. Add McFadden and we could become the Voltron of the AFC west.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:39 AM   #12
kdissette
Pro Bowler

IN VON WE TRUST!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
Bowe wants out of KC. Add McFadden and we could become the Voltron of the AFC west.
i highly doubt they would trade such high value players inside the division....but getting those people shipped to the nfc would be nice....that way we can smoke all our division games for the nxt few years at least.
kdissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:51 AM   #13
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Wasn't McClain thought of as only a 2 down LB coming out? Maybe it was some other highly touted LB, but I could've sworn it was McClain and people thought it would lower his draft stock.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #14
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
Wasn't McClain thought of as only a 2 down LB coming out? Maybe it was some other highly touted LB, but I could've sworn it was McClain and people thought it would lower his draft stock.
I don't remember that being a knock on him, he was very athletic and had good instincts. I remember there was a lot of debate about him vs. Spikes, but that faded away when Spikes turned out to be slow and fat.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #15
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Having a potential jail sentence looming over one's head would be a distraction to anyone, I would imagine.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #16
manchambo
Ring of Famer

At what point do we stop saying the raiders and chiefs are drafting busts and start saying they're ruining players. How many can't miss players have to turn into **** before its the teams not the players?
manchambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #17
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

"He's not a repeat mistake offender," Allen said.

Too bad you can't say that about any of their fans.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote