The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: grade demaryius
A: Numbers speak for themselves 18 13.85%
B: Good so far, too many damn fumbles 73 56.15%
C: Hold on to the damn ball, D. Less drops too. 36 27.69%
D: Misleading numbers, he's the #1 WR by default 3 2.31%
F: **** DONNIE, You had one job! 0 0%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
Ronnie Tsunami

Default Grade Demaryius Thru 5 weeks

30 catches, 513 yards, 2 TD
Projected: 96 catches, 1,642 yards, 6 TD

misleading? accurate portrayal of his talents? where does he stand among all WR's?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

GOAT
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I went back and forth between B and C. Those fumbles as a result of bone head lack of ball control give him a C. He'll if he just is more disciplined he is an easy A right now.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
BroncoBeavis

Love the kid's upside. But one fumble lost for every 10 catches? 2 directly cost us TD's?

We can't afford those kind of mistakes on the field forever.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
teknic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Love the kid's upside. But one fumble lost for every 10 catches? 2 directly cost us TD's?

We can't afford those kind of mistakes on the field forever.
Fumbles are a pretty random occurrence in a football game. It sucks that Thomas has put a couple on the ground, but I'm more concerned with the drops that hit him right in the hands. He has had way too many drops on easy, wide open passes.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Are we really counting the "Fumble" during the desperation Lateral drill at the end of the Houston game? Seriously people, that's like giving a QB **** for an INT on a hail mary.

The only bad fumble IMO was the Oakland one. The NE one is hard to put on him, there was no way to secure the ball as the defender had his hands in there. Hell the reason we remember those fumbles is because the guy is just making DB's look like fools out there and he is either schooling people with YAC or burning guys deep.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #7
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Those fumbles lowered him to a B. If it were just the 1 against Oakland, i'd still give him an A. 2 of the 3 were game changing fumbles. Without the fumbles without a doubt he'd get an A.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #8
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

He has Megatron level talent, just tighten up stupid mistakes and he is right there. C.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #9
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
Those fumbles lowered him to a B. If it were just the 1 against Oakland, i'd still give him an A. 2 of the 3 were game changing fumbles. Without the fumbles without a doubt he'd get an A.
Which 2? All the Oakland one did was keep the game within a 40 point margin.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknic View Post
Fumbles are a pretty random occurrence in a football game. It sucks that Thomas has put a couple on the ground, but I'm more concerned with the drops that hit him right in the hands. He has had way too many drops on easy, wide open passes.
He is over looking the fact that one fumble was on the end of the game pitch. Really it should only be 2.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #11
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

The Mane seriously is the most critical place on Earth. Two fumbles aside, he's been UNREAL
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #12
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
The Mane seriously is the most critical place on Earth. Two fumbles aside, he's been UNREAL
Right?!? I don't see how anyone could even consider giving him a C. That's just silly. A B? Okay, understandable. But a C means average and he's way above average. Come on, people. I give anyone who gives him a C or lower an F. You've failed at logic and reasoning.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #13
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

A for amazing
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #14
Endy
Jersey Mistake

Thanks McDaniels for my season tix

B - because of the fumbles, poor route running at times and drops. But the kid makes some amazing catches. That one hander against the Pats was flat out amazing. He just stuck his hand out there and snatched that bullet from the sky. Loved it. If he gets the ball control and route issues under control, which should be easy to do given that you can practice those things, then he's an "A" in the making.
Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #15
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

I gave him a B but he's the absolute least of our worries on this team. He's played well.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #16
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

C because of the fumbles. An A if those fumbles were touchdowns instead. At this point he's inconsistent in his handling of the ball, and it's costing us games. If he holds onto the ball and scores a touchdown on that first drive against New England, it establishes an entirely different tone for the game, and puts pressure on them instead of vice versa. The good news is, even Rod Smith was inconsistent in his second season with the team, but as he developed, he became more and more valuable. D. Thomas has a bright future in this league.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #17
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Thomas is improving each game by leaps and bounds. His route running especially. Manning and he are getting better chemistry. He makes plays.

That being said, he is way too inconsistent to be given an A or B right now. Games can turn on a few plays here and there and when he fails to make plays when they are there or fumbles away a big play he just made, those count against him. It's not a big play if you turn the ball over to the other team! It was until you lost it, but he did lose them and he did fail to make more than a handful of first down catches as well.

He is a very good Number one WR, who needs to step up his consistency to be a dominant player in this league. Like so many WR's, no one questions his talent and ability. We question his ability to execute with the game on the line. That is a completely different talent. One he needs to work on a lot harder....

Last edited by Mediator12; 10-09-2012 at 09:38 AM..
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #18
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Grade him a B. Excellent overall production, however several critical mistakes (fumbles) and minimal production in terms of red-zone touchdowns. Also with his size and physicality, he should be a better blocker than he is.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #19
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Fumbles directly contributed to our loss, in New England. Thomas got the ball rolling (pun intended). Crucial mistakes, which take away sure touchdowns, cannot happen. It's the same reason that MacGahee only gets an average grade, from me...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #20
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Right?!? I don't see how anyone could even consider giving him a C. That's just silly. A B? Okay, understandable. But a C means average and he's way above average. Come on, people. I give anyone who gives him a C or lower an F. You've failed at logic and reasoning.
Dude, WR's don't touch the ball every other play. It takes most elite WR years to accumulate 2 or 3 lost fumbles. You'd have to count every game since 2009 to find as many Megatron fumbles as DT just put up in 5 games. Same with Welker. Big Larry hasn't lost a regular season fumble since 2007.

I'm sure he'll improve, but as everyone's said for weeks, turnovers are huge. You can't give a pass to any of the guys handing them out. Especially when it's not a guy who's seeing the ball every play.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #21
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
So, wanting him to hold onto the ball and have less drops is silly?

Where does C say, he is average?
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #22
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
I rarely disagree with you, but here is one I definitely do. He has not played at anything but an Average level overall. He has failed to make too many plays when given plenty of chances and has not made any game changing FAVORABLE plays, while making more than few negative ones.

That, by definition, is playing and executing at an average NFL level to this point. He does have nice numbers to this point, but those numbers have not translated to Wins and conversely he has contributed to the losses way too much.

The good here does not outweigh the bad performance wise. In fact, they cancel each other out IMHO.

In order to explain this better, look at his DYAR and DVOA levels to date. He is ranked 24th in the league in DYAR and 35th in the league in DVOA after 4 games. His 24th ranking in DYAR means he is the 24th most valuable WR in the league who qualifies and the 35th most valuable WR per play. Both are below average for a #1 WR. By contrast Decker is 9th in DYAR and 23rd in DVOA. Stokely is 15th in DYAR and 3rd, yes 3rd, in DVOA.

That makes Thomas the third best WR on the team in performance to date. Not the third best WR, but the third in performance to date.

That is what I am talking about, and hopefully he has nowhere to go but up that list as he gets more ball security and makes more catches when given opportunities.

Last edited by Mediator12; 10-09-2012 at 10:26 AM..
Old 10-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #23
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
So, wanting him to hold onto the ball and have less drops is silly?

Where does C say, he is average?
Wanting him to is fine....he is getting judged pretty harshly though. Officially he has 4 drops this seasons...the same as or fewer than:
Victor Cruz
Jimmy Graham
Jason Witten
Marques Colston
Julio Jones
Jordy Nelson

and only 1 more than:
Calvin Johnson
Wes Welker

Oh yeah, and the league leader over the past few years has been Marshall
Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #24
teknic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Wanting him to is fine....he is getting judged pretty harshly though. Officially he has 4 drops this seasons...the same as or fewer than:
Victor Cruz
Jimmy Graham
Jason Witten
Marques Colston
Julio Jones
Jordy Nelson

and only 1 more than:
Calvin Johnson
Wes Welker

That still doesn't make his drops acceptable.

He has been running free, without a defender close, and the pass from Manning bounces off his hands. Some of those plays have been third downs that he should have converted, which makes it significantly worse. Simply unacceptable to drop wide open passes. If it hits you in the hands, you catch it.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #25
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
Victor Cruz
Jimmy Graham
Jason Witten
Marques Colston
Julio Jones
Jordy Nelson

and only 1 more than:
Calvin Johnson
Wes Welker

Its not just drops, its catch % and routes. He has been sloppy a couple of times and out of sync with Manning. However, that is getting drastically better at both. So, that should improve.

Kid is getting better, but he can play a lot better as well.