The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Default Jack Del Rio

He got absolutely clowned today. There is a formula that works against the Patriots. Soft cover-2 with lots of slowly developing blitzes up front is not it. You have to play their receivers physically at the point of attack. You have to rely on your front four to get some pressure.

For some reason he thought the opposite of that was going to be an effective approach. Tom Brady killed him.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
NorCalBronco7

Games not even over...

suck a fat one
Old 10-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBronco7 View Post
Games not even over...

suck a fat one
Do you know where to find one??
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Nah.. this is over.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
Dean
Solid Starter

It looked to me like their running game killed us.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
He got absolutely clowned today. There is a formula that works against the Patriots. Soft cover-2 with lots of slowly developing blitzes up front is not it. You have to play their receivers physically at the point of attack. You have to rely on your front four to get some pressure.
For some reason he thought the opposite of that was going to be an effective approach. Tom Brady killed him.
I think I spotted the flaw in your thesis
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:31 AM   #7
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:

Totally disagree. Rewatching this, and it's their run game that is killing us. Our guys can't seem to stop it, whatever they do. Sure, Tom Brady took his shots, but all in all, he had only 1 touchdown. We couldn't stop their running game. Ridley, Bolden, and Woodhead took whatever yards they wanted when they wanted.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #8
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Totally disagree. Rewatching this, and it's their run game that is killing us. Our guys can't seem to stop it, whatever they do. Sure, Tom Brady took his shots, but all in all, he had only 1 touchdown. We couldn't stop their running game. Ridley, Bolden, and Woodhead took whatever yards they wanted when they wanted.
A part of that is because they weren't ready for the style that the patriots played, the fast paced no huddle. It was a surprise. They played better the second half after some adjustments, but that Manning fumble killed us. I don't think we're a bad run stopping defense, it's just this was sort of a surprise or more of a shock the way the Patriots were running the offense.
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:53 AM   #9
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson View Post
A part of that is because they weren't ready for the style that the patriots played, the fast paced no huddle. It was a surprise. They played better the second half after some adjustments, but that Manning fumble killed us. I don't think we're a bad run stopping defense, it's just this was sort of a surprise or more of a shock the way the Patriots were running the offense.
This is going to be a key topic of the podcast this week.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:58 AM   #10
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
This is going to be a key topic of the podcast this week.
Is there a link to listen after ?
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:02 AM   #11
Bronco Yoda

3rd & 17 and we give up 25 with a run? Are you ****ing kidding me? THIS is the kind of **** that killed us.

But i do agree that you MUST jam the WR at the line of scrimmage playing the pats. Brady lives off those quick timing patterns.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:07 AM   #12
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson View Post
Is there a link to listen after ?
Not yet. It'll be recorded and posted tomorrow night.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:32 AM   #13
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Looking forward to hearing it.

My own personal feeling is that there simply isn't enough talent on the defense to go toe to toe with a good, balanced offense like the Pats have. We saw it against elite offenses last year and it seems to be the case this time around again.

There's only so much a DC can do schematically when there just isn't enough talent there.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:20 AM   #14
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
He got absolutely clowned today. There is a formula that works against the Patriots. Soft cover-2 with lots of slowly developing blitzes up front is not it. You have to play their receivers physically at the point of attack.
, did you watch Joe Mays try to jam anyone at the line? He's constantly failed.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:29 AM   #15
Bacchus

Quote:

I thought Denver should have just rushed three players. Doom, Vickerson and Miller everyplay then drop everyone else into coverage. Welker was owning those 1 on 1 crossing routes. Denver would have dropped LBers in the zones they would have been able to pop him good. Plus by doing this you would make Brady hold on ot the ball longer.

All this being said the Pats are a great offensive team who scored 52 points the previous week on the road. Sure it would have been nice to win this game but this game will not define Denver's season.

Next week could though.

Last edited by Bacchus; 10-09-2012 at 06:41 AM..
Old 10-09-2012, 05:42 AM   #16
kent156
King of the Ants

i though the broncos tried that but new england just ran the ball which i almost smashed my tv giving up that much rushing yards is unacceptable
kent156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:49 AM   #17
kent156
King of the Ants

another thing phil simms made a comment everytime the back lined up behind brady they ran and the broncos still couldn't stop them maybe the broncos should hire phil simms as assisant defense coordinator
kent156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #18
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

They converted a 3rd and 14 and a 3rd and 17 ON THE ****ING GROUND!

That's all I need to know.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:32 AM   #19
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post

That was horrible. I threw down my mouse when that happened.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #20
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:

Much fail in this post (not trying to get too personal, mind you).

Tom Brady kills everyone, especially at Foxboro. As said before, the no huddle runs (giving up 200 yards rushing) is what really killed us. Stop the run on all those quick snaps, and we would have been able to run your scheme.

We need a stub MLB in the worst way.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #21
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post

Yeah, the 3rd and 17 was basically a low risk give up play by their offense, and they still converted it easily!

Just awful.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:23 AM   #22
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The 3rd and 14 was Joe Mays at his best.

Just watched it again. When you detach yourself from it emotionally and just watch it from an analytical point of view it's actually quite hilarious.

Mays has man coverage on Woodhead. Woodhead stays in to pass protect at first, then moves out into the flat for a checkdown. For reasons I can't quite figure out, Mays runs directly at Woodhead and seems to attempt to block him.

I say block because it's not really a tackle... it looks a bit like he tries to play press coverage on Woodhead, despite the fact that the play has already been going on for about three seconds and Woodhead is running towards him already.

Anyway, Woodhead manages to overcome the shock of being confronted by such a ridiculous move and saunters by a stunned Mays and into enough space to complete an easy pass with a ton of open space in front of him.

All the guy has to do is keep Woodhead in front of him and he'll be fine. If Brady hits him with a checkdown then tackle him for the 6 yard gain and send the punting unit out there.

Instead of getting the ball back with three minutes on the clock and down by 7 (likely with decent field position too) it's 1st and 10 for the Pats close to midfield.

Idiot cannonball indeed, I genuinely hate watching him play on our defense.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #23
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post

Just watched it again. When you detach yourself from it emotionally and just watch it from an analytical point of view it's actually quite hilarious.

Mays has man coverage on Woodhead. Woodhead stays in to pass protect at first, then moves out into the flat for a checkdown. For reasons I can't quite figure out, Mays runs directly at Woodhead and seems to attempt to block him.

I say block because it's not really a tackle... it looks a bit like he tries to play press coverage on Woodhead, despite the fact that the play has already been going on for about three seconds and Woodhead is running towards him already.

Anyway, Woodhead manages to overcome the shock of being confronted by such a ridiculous move and saunters by a stunned Mays and into enough space to complete an easy pass with a ton of open space in front of him.

All the guy has to do is keep Woodhead in front of him and he'll be fine. If Brady hits him with a checkdown then tackle him for the 6 yard gain and send the punting unit out there.

Instead of getting the ball back with three minutes on the clock and down by 7 (likely with decent field position too) it's 1st and 10 for the Pats close to midfield.

That was one of the 3 plays I said on game day was a difference. Stop them there and Denver most likely gets 3 with great field position
a 6 point turnaround for sure. Not sure why Mays was even in on that play
How about a timeout to get the right players on the field for 3rd and 14
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #24
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post

Say what you will about DJ but he can tackle running backs in the flat with minimal gain. He is poor in coverage down field but when a running back catches the ball on a swing or short pass they are usually tackled immediately
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #25
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

It takes 3 years to reboot an organization minimum. Chill out.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote