The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 08:09 AM   #26
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
It takes 3 years to reboot an organization minimum. Chill out.
That's if our organization wants to rebuild... We got a QB in the 2nd round when obviously this defense needs more pieces.
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #27
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
“They’d have two plays called, so they knew what they were gonna do on the next rep,” cornerback Tracy Porter said. “And we’d only have one play called, so we’d wait to get the other play from the sideline, and they’re already lined up. We adjusted, and we started going dual calls in the huddle, let us keep up with the pace of the game. But in the beginning, it did catch us off-guard.”
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ing-in-control
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #28
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
that's pretty bad considering they did the exact same thing to the Bills last week.
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:23 AM   #29
orangenblue
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Totally disagree. Rewatching this, and it's their run game that is killing us. Our guys can't seem to stop it, whatever they do. Sure, Tom Brady took his shots, but all in all, he had only 1 touchdown. We couldn't stop their running game. Ridley, Bolden, and Woodhead took whatever yards they wanted when they wanted.
And Welker didn't kill us?
orangenblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #30
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

These stats indicate we didn't hold up vs. The run

On 3rd down the patriots average 9.6 yards per carry

That is a sad stat

http://milehighsports.com/2012/10/08...third-downers/
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #31
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangenblue View Post
And Welker didn't kill us?
13 catches and he's still open.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #32
broncoblue
english not british!!

I think a lot of the problem with the D is it isnt fired up and at the races so to speak at game time. Someone ,whether it be coaches or players needs to get them UP for the game at kick off and not 18-19 mins into game. We need fire in our belly.
broncoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #33
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Dude, Mays is a special teams player at best...and he's starting for us. I want to know what exactly the coaching staff sees in this guy. He is opposing teams whipping boy week in and week out! It was annoying last year...
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #34
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
Dude, Mays is a special teams player at best...and he's starting for us. I want to know what exactly the coaching staff sees in this guy. He is opposing teams whipping boy week in and week out! It was annoying last year...
I agree he sucks. It takes time to purge these guys. Fact is the organization took a risk at lb and failed miserably. But don't expect that all the holes are filled and problems addressed overnight. It takes time.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #35
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

I was watching at a sports bar, so i didn't get to hear any commentary and my observations are likely off... but here's what I saw:

Pats were gashing us because our DL wasn't in a 3 point stance at the snap, and therefore were easily pushed away. I've got two reasons why DL wasn't down - either or both could be true:

1) we were thinking pass and going with the "amoeba" pr "psycho" front, standing all front 7 up to confuse the OL as to where the rush is coming from. IIRC, we saw some of this vs oakland, makes sense that JDR added it after the Atlanta game.

2) we weren't ready for pat's quick pace - Brady was deliberately snapping the ball before our guys were set.

I know 2) happened, as evidence by the 14 men on the field penalty. What I'm not sure of is if we got burned getting cute with the psycho fronts. anyone else notice this?
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #36
Toshiro Takashi

Patriots have been running a variation of the Oregon Duck's offense

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...DfK/story.html
Old 10-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #37
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
I was watching at a sports bar, so i didn't get to hear any commentary and my observations are likely off... but here's what I saw:

Pats were gashing us because our DL wasn't in a 3 point stance at the snap, and therefore were easily pushed away. I've got two reasons why DL wasn't down - either or both could be true:

1) we were thinking pass and going with the "amoeba" pr "psycho" front, standing all front 7 up to confuse the OL as to where the rush is coming from. IIRC, we saw some of this vs oakland, makes sense that JDR added it after the Atlanta game.

2) we weren't ready for pat's quick pace - Brady was deliberately snapping the ball before our guys were set.

I know 2) happened, as evidence by the 14 men on the field penalty. What I'm not sure of is if we got burned getting cute with the psycho fronts. anyone else notice this?

I've said this before in a couple other threads, but this point itself could have really deserved its own thread discussion. Say what you want about McD raping our organization, but the guy is changing the way the NFL works again. I have never, ever seen a no huddle sustained with that kind of speed and accuracy in the NFL - ever. It allowed the Pats to keep us constantly off guard and unprepared. I still don't even understand how they called the plays so quickly unless they have already predetermined those plays based on down, distance, and progress. It was truly beautiful to watch.

The only thing that will overcome the Pats new scheme is winning the one on one battles, even when you are tired and unprepared. We just lack a few key pieces to do this against the Patriots. Also, Brady had a "near perfect" day on those quick passes. A little less accuracy, and we also win.

When they slowed things down to a traditional pace, we actually did ok, and Vickerson ate them up inside. However, the pace kept us totally unprepared, wonded, and out of position. It was masterful.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #38
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
[/B]

I've said this before in a couple other threads, but this point itself could have really deserved its own thread discussion. Say what you want about McD raping our organization, but the guy is changing the way the NFL works again. I have never, ever seen a no huddle sustained with that kind of speed and accuracy in the NFL - ever. It allowed the Pats to keep us constantly off guard and unprepared. I still don't even understand how they called the plays so quickly unless they have already predetermined those plays based on down, distance, and progress. It was truly beautiful to watch.

The only thing that will overcome the Pats new scheme is winning the one on one battles, even when you are tired and unprepared. We just lack a few key pieces to do this against the Patriots. Also, Brady had a "near perfect" day on those quick passes. A little less accuracy, and we also win.

When they slowed things down to a traditional pace, we actually did ok, and Vickerson ate them up inside. However, the pace kept us totally unprepared, wonded, and out of position. It was masterful.
here's how: link
link courtesy of IAOFM.

ETA: I'd rather give credit to Belichick for being innovative and doing some of the college stuff rather than his snot-nosed underling punk.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #39
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
[/B]

Excellant post. That's what I saw too.

We need a smart MLB to adapt to that scheme and make the right calls.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #40
Toshiro Takashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post

ETA: I'd rather give credit to Belichick for being innovative and doing some of the college stuff rather than his snot-nosed underling punk.
More like Bill O'Brien. According to the article he is good friends with Chip Kelly.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #41
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
He got absolutely clowned today. There is a formula that works against the Patriots. Soft cover-2 with lots of slowly developing blitzes up front is not it. You have to play their receivers physically at the point of attack. You have to rely on your front four to get some pressure.

For some reason he thought the opposite of that was going to be an effective approach. Tom Brady killed him.
That works if you have enough good cover guys and a front 4 that can get consistent pressure. We lack the DT skill to get pressure up the middle which leaves Von and Doom facing double teams. If those guys cant get to the QB even the best corners will lose containment on the receiver they are covering.

It isn't Del Rio it is the fact that this team is in need of improved talent at all 3 levels of the defense. DT, MLB, WILL, and S
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #42
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
I agree he sucks. It takes time to purge these guys. Fact is the organization took a risk at lb and failed miserably. But don't expect that all the holes are filled and problems addressed overnight. It takes time.
I understand that change doesn't happen over night. However, Mays was terrible last year. It was our biggest weakness last year and again this year. I hope like hell they have some sort of fix going into next year, maybe even this year after DJ comes back. I would not at all be against putting DJ in the Middle and leaving Woodyard at the Will. Or have Mays in the middle on obvious running downs. 2nd/3rd and long, Mays should be watching from the sidelines.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #43
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
No it doesn't. Houston was one of the worst in 2010, one of the best in 2011. Credit goes to Phillips for putting in the right schemes and players. He even lost his best DL and not a blink.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #44
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
No it doesn't. Houston was one of the worst in 2010, one of the best in 2011. Credit goes to Phillips for putting in the right schemes and players. He even lost his best DL and not a blink.
right guys need to be there too. That is my point. Coaching only masks so much
Old 10-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #45
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
right guys need to be there too. That is my point. Coaching only masks so much
Mike Nolan did a decent job at it. It does come from the top when the HC is not hand picking the personnel.

Looking at the numbers right now they are better than last years. Even with giving up 250 on the ground this weekend.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #46
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Beat the Chefs! Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

JDR had some nice adjustments to slow down the passing game in the 2nd half.

The thing is we don't have a run stuffing front 7 especially with DJ out and Moore is not very good at Safety.

The one thing I was wondering was why after continuing to get run on they didn't put Ayers in at least on run downs. He is our best run stuffer on the DL and I don't remember seeing him out there. Was he inactive or did he just suck also when he played?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #47
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
JDR had some nice adjustments to slow down the passing game in the 2nd half.

The thing is we don't have a run stuffing front 7 especially with DJ out and Moore is not very good at Safety.

The one thing I was wondering was why after continuing to get run on they didn't put Ayers in at least on run downs. He is our best run stuffer on the DL and I don't remember seeing him out there. Was he inactive or did he just suck also when he played?

I was asking myself the same thing. Must be in JDRs doghouse.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #48
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
The one thing I was wondering was why after continuing to get run on they didn't put Ayers in at least on run downs.
I don't know that we were able to sub the way we wanted to with that no-huddle they were running.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #49
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Jack Del Rio sucks as a football coach. this DEfense is unprepared week after week. It's because Del Rio is old and lazy. I thought it would be a good hire. Instead we got a bum that just collects a paycheck.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #50
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
I understand that change doesn't happen over night. However, Mays was terrible last year. It was our biggest weakness last year and again this year. I hope like hell they have some sort of fix going into next year, maybe even this year after DJ comes back. I would not at all be against putting DJ in the Middle and leaving Woodyard at the Will. Or have Mays in the middle on obvious running downs. 2nd/3rd and long, Mays should be watching from the sidelines.
I coulda swore QB was our biggest weekness