The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #1
Bacchus

Default Pats Preview: What's in store.

Just some tidbits I have found.

The Broncos’ defense has forced their opponents into 15 three-and-outs, the most in the league. That’s a whopping 34% of opponent possessions, on pace to be the second highest percentage since they began tracking the stat in 1995, trailing only the 1999 Ravens (35.5%).

the Patriots have gone three-and-out only three times this season, the fewest in the league.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
Bacchus

* – By far this season, when you’ve heard the name Peyton Manning, the words most often heard along with it were “arm strength”. Well, I guess “tapenade” would be up there as well, but I digress. It’s a small sample size of only four games, but let’s take a look at Manning’s passing by length of throw so far this season and in 2010, his last season before his injury. When I use “rating”, I’m referring to a rating that takes average net yards per pass play (so sacks are factored in) plus 30 times the touchdown percentage, minus 50 times the interception percentage (so interceptions hurt more than touchdowns help), and compare that figure to the league average net yards per pass play. Whew. So here we go:

Passes thrown behind the line:
2012: 23-for-30, +5.02 rating (2nd);
2010: 88-for-105, +0.82 rating (5th);
Passes thrown 1 to 10 yards downfield:
2012: 54-for-77 (70% completions; 9th), 3 TD, 0 INT, +1.62 rating (4th);
2010: 266-for-357 (75% completions; 1st), 17 TD, 3 INT, +1.10 rating (9th);
Passes thrown 11 to 20 yards downfield:
2012: 18-for-35 (51% completions; 21st), 1 TD, 0 INT, -1.05 rating (20th);
2010: 76-for-140 (54% completions; 13th), 7 TD, 7 INT, -1.44 rating (13th);
Passes thrown 21 to 30 yards downfield:
2012: 2-for-7 (29% completions; 20th), 1 TD, 3 INT, -20.39 rating (32nd; Last);
2010: 13-for-52 (25% completions; 24th), 4 TD, 6 INT, -4.63 rating (25th);
Passes thrown 31+ yards downfield:
2012: 2-for-5 (40% completions; 8th), 1 TD, 0 INT, +7.50 rating (12th);
2010: 7-for-25 (28% completions; 24th), 2 TD, 1 INT, -0.15 rating (16th);
In 2010, before he got hurt, 11% of Manning’s passes were thrown 20 or more yards downfield and his rating was -3.45, which ranked 21st. So far this season, only 8% of his throws have been long passes of 20+ yards, and his rating is -8.61, ranked 29th. Just to complete the puzzle, Manning’s rating on long passes was -1.07 in 2009 (17th) and -1.76 in 2008, also ranked 17th.

So judging by the numbers only, it’s difficult to tell if Peyton’s arm strength is worse post surgery, because he was not a terribly effective long passer before his injury.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
Bacchus

* – The Broncos pass rush has been tough on opposing quarterbacks so far this season, recording a QB knock down on a league high 22.7% of opposing pass plays:
22.7% – Broncos
22.4% – Cardinals
20.3% – Bengals

That’s quite a step up for the Broncos as last year they managed a knock down or forced a hurry on just 17.6% of opposing pass plays, ranked 27th.

Note this: That stout pass rush has it’s drawbacks, however, as the Broncos have been flagged for roughing the passer three times this season, tied with the Titans for the most in the league (and matching their total for all of last season). Their seven personal foul penalties overall ranks second in the league (Baltimore, 10).
Note this too: New England’s pass rush has been non-existent so far, getting a QB knock down or forcing a hurry on 14.8% of opponent pass plays. Only the Titans (11.8%) and the Bills (12.0%) have been worse. New England has not taken a roughing the passer penalty yet in 2012.

* – The Patriots have 18 rushes of 11 or more yards this season (4.5 per game), tied with the Eagles for third most in the league this season. Only the 49ers (20) and Redskins (19) have more. Last season, the Pats averaged just 2.1 such rushes per game and only four teams had fewer.

* – New England’s 576 rushing yards are their third-most through their first four games in the last twenty seasons. Only in 2007 (628 yards; Laurence Maroney, Sammy Morris, Kevin Faulk) and 2006 (616 yards; Corey Dillon, Maroney) did they gain more on the ground at the quarter pole since 1983. Their club record through four games is 865 yards in 1976 (Sam Cunningham, Don Calhoun).
Old 10-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
Bacchus

* – New England now leads the league in points per game (33.5) and the Patriots and Broncos rank one-two in average points in the second half:
20.0 – Patriots
19.8 – Broncos
18.0 – Giants

The Patriots were the league’s top second half scoring team last season as well, averaging nearly 18 points per game after halftime.

* – The Patriots have started 11 drives (22.4%) on their opponent’s side of the 50-yard-line already this season, both figures are NFL highs. So far, however, they’ve only cashed those opportunities in for a total of 44 points (five touchdowns, three field goals, and two squanders). Their 4.0 average points per opportunity ranks just 15th. That was a bit of a problem last year, too, as the Patriots averaged just 2.9 points on their 26 such drives, mustering seven touchdowns and eight field goals.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
Bacchus

* – The Jets lead the league at tackling receivers with no yards after the catch this season (they’ve stopped them in their tracks on 20-of-67 receptions outside the end zone… 29.9%). They’re followed by the Dolphins and the Falcons (each at 22.8%). The Patriots secondary boasts a league worst 12.1%, as they’ve allowed “YAC” on 80-of-91 receptions outside the end zone so far.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #6
Bacchus

1. Manning the front – Though some have questioned his arm strength and wobbly passes through a month of football, I think Manning's first four games in Denver are borderline amazing. For a guy who missed an entire season with a major neck injury to change teams in the offseason and hit the ground running the way Manning has despite a tough opening-month schedule is pretty impressive in my eyes. Despite all that and having a really bad quarter in Atlanta, Manning had the 10th best passer rating after four weeks. He seems to be getting more comfortable with the guys around him, and that's a key part of the process as he tries to elevate Denver to the NFL's elite. The one major difference – and thing that makes him more susceptible right now – is that Manning is being pressured and hit a bit more than he ever was with the Colts. He's been sacked eight times and hit and pressured much more than that. He's going to have a new center in this one as Dan Koppen slides into the lineup. There should be chances for the Patriots developing pass rush to get after Manning a bit. Ryan Clady is a very good left tackle, so Rookie of the Month Chandler Jones has his work cut out for him. But I liked what I saw in terms of Bill Belichick and Matt Patricia moving the pass rushers around a bit in Buffalo. I also like the interior matchup with either Vince Wilfork or Kyle Love going against Koppen. Manning is already making plays for the Broncos and certainly has lifted the once Tim Tebow-led passing attack out of the dark ages in Denver. But if the Patriots can pressure him, that will go a long way toward keeping his scoring down leading an offense that ranks No. 7 in the league in points per game.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:01 AM   #7
Bacchus

Talkin' ‘bout Willis, As much as Manning is the story in Denver and clearly the leader of the offense, Willis McGahee is off to a very good start for the team's rushing attack. The veteran ranks seventh in the AFC with 325 yards and an impressive 4.7 yards a carry. The only game he really struggled was against the Texans top-ranked defense. The Patriots run defense has been inconsistent this season, but is clearly the strength of the front. Brandon Spikes and company have been making opposing ball carriers pay. That needs to continue as the Broncos will try to stay somewhat balanced. It was obviously a completely different offense, but Denver did run all over the Patriots in the early going during last year's regular season meeting. McGahee has had his days against the Patriots over the years
Old 10-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #8
Bacchus

Rain is predicted for the late-afternoon start and could be a factor for a pair of quarterbacks looking to sling it around the field. There is also always the chance that wind could add to the rain issues. Neither team has what would be considered an elite rushing attack, and both sides sport very much competitive run defenses. So if the game does bog down a bit due to weather, it could make it even more of a dogfight and a lower scoring, competitive battle
Old 10-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #9
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Very interesting stuff Bacchus. Did I miss the source, or did you compile the info.?

I think the last point about starting field position might be one of the most important points of this game. We need some Special Teams help to put us in good situations. It sure would be nice to see someone other than Leonard back there returning punts, but I guess "he doesn't fumble."
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:06 AM   #10
Bacchus

2. Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos must protect the football to avoid another Belichickian embarrassment.
Since the start of the 2009 season, the New England Patriots are 23-2 (.920) at home in the regular season. Their only losses came two weeks ago against the Arizona Cardinals and in Week nine of last season to the New York Giants.

Peyton Manning is just 2-6 in the regular season and 2-8 overall in Foxboro in his career, albeit with another breed of horse. More troubling is the minus 20 turnover differential Manning's teams have had in those ten games, averaging 3.2 turnovers per contest while forcing just 1.2.

Since taking over as the Patriots head coach in 2000, Bill Belichick's teams are a staggering 34-1 including the playoffs when forcing 3+ turnovers, so Peyton and the Broncos must win the turnover battle in order to turn the tide in this rivalry.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:07 AM   #11
Bacchus

All eyes will be on the quarterbacks Sunday in Foxboro, but the winner will run their way to victory.

The team that rushed for more yards has won seven of the last 10 games in the Patriots - Broncos rivalry. The Denver Broncos were primarily a run-first team under former coach Mike Shannahan and were a run-only team last season, when the Broncos lost to the Patriots twice by a combined score of 86-33.

The Broncos have outgained their opponents on the ground 259 Yds to 131 Yds in their two victories but have been outgained 208 Yds to 177 Yds in their two losses. Denver's Offensive Hogs are tied for third-best in the NFL overall yet they're only 17th with 3.86 Rushing Yds/Attempt.

Likewise, the New England Patriots have won the rushing battle in their two victories by a margin of 409 Yds to 118 Yds but were outgained on the ground by a margin of 233 Yds to 167 in their two losses. The Patriots have the 2nd Ranked Offensive Hogs while averaging 4.2 RY/A (12th)
Old 10-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #12
Bacchus

The story: Another year, another Manning-Brady showdown. Appreciate it while you can, folks. These are two of the best in the game, and watching them reminds me of, oh, say, when John Elway and Dan Marino took on each other. Your job is to simply sit back and enjoy what you're watching.

Peyton Manning is one of the best quarterbacks ever. So is Tom Brady. Manning has been to two Super Bowls. Brady has been to five. Manning won four MVP trophies. Brady has two. Manning is fourth in career regular-season wins. Brady is fifth. Manning is a first-ballot Hall of Famer. So is Brady.

Every year, it seems, the two meet either during the season or the playoffs, with Brady holding an 8-4 edge. But look what happens when he faces Denver: He's 3-6, including the playoffs, with last year's playoff win his first defeat of the Broncos at Gillette Stadium.

Moreover, Denver is the only NFL team with a winning record vs. Brady, and no more than four points separated Brady and Manning in any of their past four meetings. So what happens now that Manning quarterbacks the Broncos?
Old 10-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #13
Bacchus

What to Watch For: Willis McGahee got his groove back last week, and we all know John Fox loves to run the rock. And, for that matter, Denver's entire defensive mojo was back a week ago, with the caveat being it was against the Raiders. But given New England's iffy offensive line, you have to wonder if Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil get off some in this late start. ... The Patriots, of all teams, had two running backs go over 100 yards a week ago. ... Champ Bailey might get to see an awful lot of his former teammate, Brandon Lloyd. ... Manning has four TDs in each of his past two games against the Pats
Old 10-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #14
Bacchus

Trend you expect to continue

Kevin Corke: Peyton Manning keeps getting better. Neither his stats nor the Broncos record will show it, but beware potential AFC playoff foes. The man is ring shopping and this ain't Tiffany.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #15
Punisher
ŪThe Ghost of Orton still

Hunts Dove Valley and he's drunkŪ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

Damn dude this is a lot of info. Either your bored or a hell of a broncos fan.
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #16
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I think the Broncos will be well served by those two, tough games against the Falcons and the Texans. They're toughened up for the Pats who didn't do too well against the Cardinals and Ravens. As always, the key is to rush the middle and smack Brady, hard and often while dominating TOP and keeping Brady off the field. Fun match-up of the day: Koppen vs Wilfolk.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #17
orange skier
Who is Josh McDaniels ?

Protect "The Neck"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Alex Gibbs

Thank you Baccus for all of this. Great way to start my Saturday morning. As opposed to reading the Denver Post and Kizla. Why don't you send this stuff in to them and see if they will hire you and can Kisla...?
orange skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #18
menonite

I read somewhere that this will be the first time that two quarterbacks with over 300 TD's will face off.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #19
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
Very interesting stuff Bacchus. Did I miss the source, or did you compile the info.?

I think the last point about starting field position might be one of the most important points of this game. We need some Special Teams help to put us in good situations. It sure would be nice to see someone other than Leonard back there returning punts, but I guess "he doesn't fumble."
They were various sites and message boards. I got lazy on the links.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #20
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange skier View Post
Thank you Baccus for all of this. Great way to start my Saturday morning. As opposed to reading the Denver Post and Kizla. Why don't you send this stuff in to them and see if they will hire you and can Kisla...?
Oh, I just copied and pasted. I'm not near talented enough to write this stuff myself.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #21
Bacchus

What is everyone's thought on a rain game? I don't think it will effect Manning's short passing game but it scares me none the less
Old 10-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #22
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I think the Broncos will be well served by those two, tough games against the Falcons and the Texans. They're toughened up for the Pats who didn't do too well against the Cardinals and Ravens. As always, the key is to rush the middle and smack Brady, hard and often while dominating TOP and keeping Brady off the field. Fun match-up of the day: Koppen vs Wilfolk.
I wish we would use Von how the Packers use Matthews and rush him from all over the line not just off the edge
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #23
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

there's no way Manning's noodle arm will overcome the awesome Brady and bad weather. Manning's just lucky to be there.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #24
Harvitz81
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Would love to see a lot of screens in this game. DT has shown that he is near unstoppable on that WR screen and with the patriots giving up tons of YAC I hope they exploit that. Throw in a couple screens to Hillman to get him in the open field.

I really think this game comes down to the lines though. If Doom and Miller can get some consistent pressure so Brady has to make quick decisions than we can win that battle. If it is raining, we need our Oline to step up and create some holes for Willis. Getting Kuper back would be great! Would love to see some Beadles pulling action to the right and Willis running behind him, Kuper and Franklin.

I just hope that it is a good game and we obviously come out on top, but I already marked it a L when looking at the schedule. However, if SD loses a loss to NE won't hurt that bad as long as we can beat them next week and take over the division lead.
Harvitz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #25
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Hey Baccus great stuff. In some of those posts can you please link the source? Not because of copyright but because I would like to go and read more and add it it to my bookmarks.

Great stuff!
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote