The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #76
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Total Defensive Plays: 57
Wolfe Total Plays: 44
Percent of Total Plays, Wolfe: 75%
Times Double-Teamed: 17
Times Triple-Teamed: 3

Plays from...
LDE: 6
LDT: 8
RDT: 23
RDE: 7

What I took from the game:
1. Wolfe is playing a lot more UT than I thought (half his plays)
2. When Wolfe played LDE he had great push against the RT (although it was the Raiders' RT's 1st start)...shutting down the running game to the right side of the formation.
3. Wolfe is double-teamed nearly half the time, resulting in some easy plays for Miller and Dumervil
4. I freaking like this Defense
5. JDR (when asked about Wolfe, inside pressure, and sacks) - "They'll come. Just like I told you they would come with Dumervil."
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #77
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Total Defensive Plays: 57
Wolfe Total Plays: 44
Percent of Total Plays, Wolfe: 75%
Times Double-Teamed: 17
Times Triple-Teamed: 3

Plays from...
LDE: 6
LDT: 8
RDT: 23
RDE: 7

What I took from the game:
1. Wolfe is playing a lot more UT than I thought (half his plays)
2. When Wolfe played LDE he had great push against the RT (although it was the Raiders' RT's 1st start)...shutting down the running game to the right side of the formation.
3. Wolfe is double-teamed nearly half the time, resulting in some easy plays for Miller and Dumervil
4. I freaking like this Defense
5. JDR (when asked about Wolfe, inside pressure, and sacks) - "They'll come. Just like I told you they would come with Dumervil."

I guess the sky is not falling after all..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #78
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Wolfe is not dominating yet, but to say that he was a "non-factor" in the Raiders game is ridiculous.

We all want him to have more "WOW" plays, and I think they will come. He has the strength, speed, and grit. JDR is using Wolfe all over the place, he definitely has the opportunity. He has a lot on his plate. JDR is creating an ATTACK Defense, like none we have seen since Wade Phillips was the DC...the Broncos are 10th in points allowed.

I think we have a chance to beat the Patriots.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #79
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Wolfe is not dominating yet, but to say that he was a "non-factor" in the Raiders game is ridiculous.

We all want him to have more "WOW" plays, and I think they will come. He has the strength, speed, and grit. JDR is using Wolfe all over the place, he definitely has the opportunity. He has a lot on his plate. JDR is creating an ATTACK Defense, like none we have seen since Wade Phillips was the DC...the Broncos are 10th in points allowed.

actually tied for 11th with colts, eagles and crows..

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...qualified=true
Old 10-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #80
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Psycho front was 11 of 57 plays (20%). If I was a betting man, I would wager that you're going to see more of that against Brady...he hasn't seen it yet.

I would also wager that when Brady sees the Psycho front, he's going to go no-huddle, and mix in the run. If the Broncos aren't playing fundamentally sound football...they will get ran.

It appeared that Leonhard substituted in for the NT in Psycho, giving the Defense 6 DB's (Bailey, Porter, Harris, Adams, Moore, Leonhard), 3 LB's (Miller, Brooking, Woodyard), and 2 DL (Dumervil, and X). X was sometimes Wolfe, Ayers, or Unrein.

Pressure could, and would come from anywhere. Hope it's ready for primetime. They aren't at Atlanta's level yet (Mike Nolan), but maybe we can get there.

Last edited by pricejj; 10-04-2012 at 11:55 PM..
Old 10-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #81
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Psycho front was 11 of 57 plays (20%). If I was a betting man, I would wager that you're going to see more of that against Brady...he hasn't seen it yet.

I would also wager that when Brady sees the Psycho front, he's going to go no-huddle, and mix in the run. If the Broncos aren't playing fundamentally sound football...they will get ran.

It appeared that Leonhard substituted in for the NT in Psycho, giving the Defense 6 DB's (Bailey, Porter, Harris, Adams, Moore, Leonhard), 3 LB's (Miller, Brooking, Woodyard), and 2 DL (Dumervil, and X). X was sometimes Wolfe, Ayers, or Unrein.

Pressure could, and would come from anywhere. Hope it's ready for primetime.
or we are going to get lit up..
Old 10-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #82
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
or we are going to get lit up..
Yep. The good part is, we have the athletes to do it. The bad part is, we are going to be learning it on the job...against the best Offense in football.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:07 AM   #83
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Yep. The good part is, we have the athletes to do it. The bad part is, we are going to be learning it on the job...against the best Offense in football.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:59 AM   #84
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:

So from your own stats (played 44 snaps - and logged what 2 pressures on Palmer) he wasn't a factor in the pass rush.

Thanks for doing your breakdown, I appreciate it, but it sort of matches up with mine. No real pressure on the QB, but decent against the run and was jused all over the DL.

I'm just going one step further by saying that one of the reasons why is because he wasn't explosive/quick off the snap in his initial movement. There are a ton of different things that go into putting pressure on the QB but it always starts with having a true, explosive first step that sets up everything else.

In this game, I didn't see that from Wolfe.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:20 AM   #85
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

This is an example of what I've stated.

LDE: Lined up opposite of a backup RT on 2nd and 10 in the 1st Quarter:
Von has to cover the TE. As you can see guys like Unrein/Bannan are already one their 2nd step but Wolfe hasn't anticipated the snap or exploded out of his stance yet.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2012, 04:24 AM   #86
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Continue from the previous play.

The backup RT already has a first step advantage on Wolfe's slower start. This results in Wolfe getting stood up and outleveraged because Wolfe didn't beat him off the snap. Now Wolfe gets easily leverage aside to open a big running lane that McFadden uses.

Yes he's a rookie, yes he's learning, but unless he explodes off the snap then he's continiously going to be at a disadvantage.

Notice the other DL. Unrein is being blocked by two guys but is still containing his lane, Bannan has used his arms to disengage his blocker and isn't blocked out to clear a lane.

Only Wolfe has been steered away easily because he was slowest off the snap.
Attached Images

Last edited by fontaine; 10-05-2012 at 04:29 AM..
Old 10-05-2012, 04:44 AM   #87
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Finally take another look much later in the 2nd half. Denver is up 31-6 late in the 3rd and the route is well and truely on. 1st and 10 and the DL knows they can attack the QB because Oakland is down three scores.

1st and 10 at 20. RDE: Wolfe again is consistently slowest off the snap (still in a three point stance). Bannan is lined up one yard deeper to contain the run to take the C/G while Vickerson/Dumervil/Wolfe get single blocking.

See how Vickerson is already way ahead? Both Vickerson and Dumervil end up pushing their blocker directly into Palmer's lap even though he take a deep drop. Vickerson because he's exploded off the snap and bull rushes since he gets his hands placed right. And Dumervil as well.

Wolfe does do a good job here eventually because he stays low and doesn't get out leveraged and converges on the QB with Vickerson (Dumervil is there first of course), and you can see his determination here to keep fighting, but he could be so, so much better if he just was quicker off the snap.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2012, 04:55 AM   #88
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

What stood out for me on the DL in this game is the amount of quality snaps from Vickerson. He played less snaps but consistently provided an interior pass rush and pushed the pocket from the inside. He's exploding off the snap and using great body lean, leg drive to bull rush his guy(s). And I saw a number of times when he jogged back to the sidelines, he was acknowledged by JDR (what a great he's doing by the way).

I don't expect Wolfe to be a finisher in racking up sacks/hurries but I do expect him to do the basics in leverage/technique and first step.

Against the Patriots Dumervil is going to bring the heat but Brady and other quality QBs can consistently move/sidestep pressure from one guy. They can't if it's coming from multiple directions like the screenshot above.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #89
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

football is this what the forum is for ? I thought it was for people to get there smart ass on .
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #90
~Crash~
My new dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kuper

Vickerson is a seasoned Vet. He should be in his prim .

Wolf is not going to domnate from the get go . but if you read that time stamp that pricejj put up (that is bad assed) You will get the idea that he is making life damn hard on the OL in front of him . all players get off slow at times. He is a rookie I would tell you most DT's don't play this fast this many snaps .
~Crash~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #91
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Wolfe being slow off the snap is nothing new, but thanks Fontaine for showing that breakdown.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #92
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Nice work fontaine.

Hopefully it's something he can train more explosiveness off of as he gets comfortable with the pro game.

Anyone watch Janoris and P2 last night? Good lawd what a night for some amazing corner play!
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #93
Bmore Manning

I think there will be a large amount of Nickel packages, which favors our D with Hernandez out. NE can't come out in 2TE sets as we would normally respond with base D. I would go straight up pass rush Nickel D, with Doom, Wolfe, Vick, Miller, Woodyard and Brooking.

Fontaine I'm with you about Big Vick, he has been a pleasant surprise at DT. He carrys the extra weight well and has looked really athletic. He hustles and chases plays down, he wasn't very far from Foster on the TD catch in the flat and against ATL I remember he chased down a play at the goal line.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #94
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
I think there will be a large amount of Nickel packages, which favors our D with Hernandez out. NE can't come out in 2TE sets as we would normally respond with base D. I would go straight up pass rush Nickel D, with Doom, Wolfe, Vick, Miller, Woodyard and Brooking.

Fontaine I'm with you about Big Vick, he has been a pleasant surprise at DT. He carrys the extra weight well and has looked really athletic. He hustles and chases plays down, he wasn't very far from Foster on the TD catch in the flat and against ATL I remember he chased down a play at the goal line.
Lately they've been REALLY successful running out of spread formations and eating Nickel defenses like the one you just proposed alive.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #95
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

"Much like Elvis (Dumervil) a couple weeks back, people were asking about him and where are his sacks. Well, I said they'd come and they've started to come and there will be more. I feel the same way about Derek and his ability to help us. He's a good football player and he's doing a nice job of the things we're asking him to do."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...s-derek-wolfes
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #96
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
What stood out for me on the DL in this game is the amount of quality snaps from Vickerson. He played less snaps but consistently provided an interior pass rush and pushed the pocket from the inside. He's exploding off the snap and using great body lean, leg drive to bull rush his guy(s). And I saw a number of times when he jogged back to the sidelines, he was acknowledged by JDR (what a great he's doing by the way).

I don't expect Wolfe to be a finisher in racking up sacks/hurries but I do expect him to do the basics in leverage/technique and first step.

Against the Patriots Dumervil is going to bring the heat but Brady and other quality QBs can consistently move/sidestep pressure from one guy. They can't if it's coming from multiple directions like the screenshot above.
While I appreciate your analysis, and Wolfe's explosion needs to improve, you stated he had no impact on the game.

1. The 1st play you showed is one of only 2 running plays (during the entire game) that came to his hole, where he didn't blow the play up due to backfield penetration.

2. The 2nd play you showed, Wolfe beat the LG, and was closing in on Palmer, forcing him to throw early.

3. Also consider, that Wolfe is on the field twice as much as any other DT on the Broncos (Bannan, Vickerson, Unrein)...and was double or triple-teamed for half his snaps. So while you consider his presence a "non-factor", you would need to realize that Wolfe being double-teamed (or triple-teamed), allows both Miller and Dumervil to face a single blocker. Dumervil had a hell of a game. Almost every single time Wolfe was at DT (not DE), he was double-teamed. I surely wouldn't expect Wolfe to have the same burst off the ball as Miller or Dumervil. Not even a well rested Kevin Vickerson, who played less than half the snaps that Wolfe played.

4. Is there room for improvement? Yes, a lot...but it's Wolfe's 4th NFL game. I was hoping he would have a higher statistical impact thus far, but McFaddon was shut-down in Mile High (after posting several successive 100 yard games). I am more concerned about the lack of pressure by Bannan, Vickerson, and Unrein (although Unrein had a nice QB hurry when Wolfe was triple-teamed on one play late in the game).

5. As you saw in the preseason, Wolfe had great pressure up the gut, when he subbed in at DT in on 3rd down...registering two sacks in one half. That is how I hoped the Broncos would use Wolfe. So while you may be impressed with Vickerson's play in that exact role, he has ZERO sacks...and I haven't seen any hurries either. Can you imagine if Vickerson was asked to play 75% of all snaps, and play LDE or RDE 25% of the time? He would probably die from exhaustion. Hopefully the game begins to slow down for Wolfe, and he can have a bigger statistical impact on the passing game, however, his impact against the run can't be denied. Maybe having a true NT to command a double-team, would allow the Rookie to get more pressure?

I envisioned Wolfe making a big difference against the Patriots...that's why I wanted the Broncos to draft him. We shall see.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #97
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Nice work fontaine.

Hopefully it's something he can train more explosiveness off of as he gets comfortable with the pro game.

Anyone watch Janoris and P2 last night? Good lawd what a night for some amazing corner play!
I think the biggest improvement from Wolfe will have to come from him anticipating the snap count. Currently he's not doing that, but hopefully that comes with experience.

I don't believe for a second that Wolfe is less naturally explosive off the snap than someone like Unrein/Bannan or Vickerson at 320lb. He just didn't show it in this game.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #98
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
While I appreciate your analysis, and Wolfe's explosion needs to improve, you stated he had no impact on the game.

1. The 1st play you showed is one of only 2 running plays (during the entire game) that came to his hole, where he didn't blow the play up due to backfield penetration.

2. The 2nd play you showed, Wolfe beat the LG, and was closing in on Palmer, forcing him to throw early.

3. Also consider, that Wolfe is on the field twice as much as any other DT on the Broncos (Bannan, Vickerson, Unrein)...and was double or triple-teamed for half his snaps. So while you consider his presence a "non-factor", you would need to realize that Wolfe being double-teamed (or triple-teamed), allows both Miller and Dumervil to face a single blocker. Dumervil had a hell of a game. Almost every single time Wolfe was at DT (not DE), he was double-teamed. I surely wouldn't expect Wolfe to have the same burst off the ball as Miller or Dumervil. Not even a well rested Kevin Vickerson, who played less than half the snaps that Wolfe played.

4. Is there room for improvement? Yes, a lot...but it's Wolfe's 4th NFL game. I was hoping he would have a higher statistical impact thus far, but McFaddon was shut-down in Mile High (after posting several successive 100 yard games). I am more concerned about the lack of pressure by Bannan, Vickerson, and Unrein (although Unrein had a nice QB hurry when Wolfe was triple-teamed on one play late in the game).

5. As you saw in the preseason, Wolfe had great pressure up the gut, when he subbed in at DT in on 3rd down...registering two sacks in one half. That is how I hoped the Broncos would use Wolfe. So while you may be impressed with Vickerson's play in that exact role, he has ZERO sacks...and I haven't seen any hurries either. Can you imagine if Vickerson was asked to play 75% of all snaps, and play LDE or RDE 25% of the time? He would probably die from exhaustion. Hopefully the game begins to slow down for Wolfe, and he can have a bigger statistical impact on the passing game, however, his impact against the run can't be denied. Maybe having a true NT to command a double-team, would allow the Rookie to get more pressure?

I envisioned Wolfe making a big difference against the Patriots...that's why I wanted the Broncos to draft him. We shall see.
Sure, all that is applicable. But I still stand by my call that he was a non factor because I don't judge him by his run game, but on what he was drafted for which is to provide a level of pass rush.

I mean who cares that Porter isn't a sure tackler, he was brought for his coverage skills. Same reasoning applies for Wolfe. To his credit he has stayed on the field longer because he's shown he can handle the power game against the run tho.

In this game 44 snaps, maybe two hurries when Oakland are playing catchup for most of the second half? Nah, he can do better than that.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #99
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I think he just needs to do some get off the ball drills and get used to the speed of the NFL.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #100
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I think he just needs to do some get off the ball drills and get used to the speed of the NFL.
Agree... I think it'll come. When push comes to shove, I'd probably rather have him hesitant off the snap as opposed to incurring a lot of offsides free-plays for the opposing QBs we've faced and especially WILL face this coming Sunday.