The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Default Derek Wolfe was a non factor against Oakland

Just my observations from rewatching every defensive snap Wolfe played against the Raiders Week 4.

I hadn't really paid much attention to him before so I wanted to see what kind of game he put in.

Alignment: Wolfe played all over the DL. RDE/LDE, both DT slots. The only time he didn't stay on the field was when he was obviously gassed or we went to Psycho Fronts with the Front 7 standing up.

1st step off the snap: This is where Wolfe disapointed the most. Regardless of where he lined up, who he lined up against, he was consistently the slowest DL in his first step. I won't compare him to Dumervil because that's just unfair but Vickerson/Unrein and even Bannan had a quicker first step than Wolfe.

Like I said I haven't tracked his individual play from weeks 1-3 so I can't compare historically but in this game he was just, well, hesitant.

Positives: Was very stout against the run, didn't give up his ground even when up against two blockers. Contained his gap very well when he couldn't penetrate. But we didn't really get this guy to stop the run I guess.

Negatives: Just really his first step. It was all just a mash after that. Because he was slower with no snap/explosiveness he didn't get the right body lean, leverage, and positioning to do much to get past his blocker(s).

I'M NOT calling him a bust. Just stating what I saw, anyone else is welcome to rewatch the game or provide their thoughts on what they saw from week 1-3.

EDIT: Even when we were up two scores and the DL had free license to rush the QB he still was our slowest DLman out there.

Last edited by fontaine; 10-03-2012 at 04:55 PM..
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Now the DT that REALLY stood out from our group was Vickerson.

Very quick first step for a 320 lb guy, gets good leverage, and hand placement and just bull rushes like a freight train. He was active in the back field almost every single snap he logged. Easily our best DT.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

He's a rookie.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crush17 View Post
He's a rookie.
You could be right. Maybe he was just not anticipating the snap (Dumervil's consistently great at doing that).

Maybe he was carrying an injury.

Or maybe he just played slow, like Ayers did in his rookie season.

The only time I would expect a rookie DE/DT to play hesitant or slow is if he's having to read and react (ie read the play on whether to drop back into coverage) but he wasn't asked to do that at all.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
bap454
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Not to disprove your theory but... He was the tackler on the near saftey at the goal line.
bap454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

The NFL's drug testing policies are tougher than previously thought. Still working on a way around it.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
brother love
Pro Bowler

Stout against the run. Yeah how disappointing we haven't needed that in years.
brother love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap454 View Post
Not to disprove your theory but... He was the tackler on the near saftey at the goal line.
You're not. It was Vickerson that pushed his guy right into the backfield and clogged the interior which forced the runner outside right into Wolfe who did a job of tackling.

The trigger man on the play was Vickerson.

I'm not really looking at Wolfe as a run stopper first (we can already do that with Ayers at DE), but as a pass rusher.

Last edited by fontaine; 10-03-2012 at 05:46 PM..
Old 10-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
HorseHead
Ring of Famer

Stay thirsty my friends..

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bay Bay

Wolfe is someone who actually could have a big game Sunday..this is not your older brother's Patriots O Line..

very much in transition..Light retired, Waters is a head case, and is chillin' on the couch, I think we know where Koppen will be on Sunday, and Mankins is nicked up..
HorseHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

actually sometimes on DL isn't supposed to try and get a big first step. Especially vs a zone blocking team like the Raiders. I think Wolfe has looked pretty good for a rookie, but he could hit some walls as the season progresses
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
actually sometimes on DL isn't supposed to try and get a big first step. Especially vs a zone blocking team like the Raiders. I think Wolfe has looked pretty good for a rookie, but he could hit some walls as the season progresses
That was Bannan's role. He was lined up one yard off the line of scrimmage consistently for that.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #12
dictionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
That was Bannan's role. He was lined up one yard off the line of scrimmage consistently for that.
Holy Hell. You are JDR, aren't you?!
Old 10-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I don't agree, he was dictating quite a few plays towards the edge...letting Doom and Von do work.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #14
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

always someone trying to piss on someone parade..

how about we wait to see how the rest of the year goes..

there is always someone running around yelling the sky is falling..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #15
Marshall Dumervil
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post

Who's saying the sky is falling? The title says he was anon-factor at Oakland. I wouldn't say he was complete non-factor in the raider game but he's a rook, and I'm happy with his game right now.
Marshall Dumervil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #16
houghtam
Ring of Famer

How dare you.

How.

Dare.

You.

AWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOlickitOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #17
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Had two good weeks, one average week and a bad week. We will give it time.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #18
Jay3

Needs more meth.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #19
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Dumervil View Post
Who's saying the sky is falling? The title says he was anon-factor at Oakland. I wouldn't say he was complete non-factor in the raider game but he's a rook, and I'm happy with his game right now.
well in actuallity he did not say teh sky was falling..

he said
Quote:
Negatives: Just really his first step. It was all just a mash after that. Because he was slower with no snap/explosiveness he didn't get the right body lean, leverage, and positioning to do much to get past his blocker(s).

EDIT: Even when we were up two scores and the DL had free license to rush the QB he still was our slowest DLman out there
IMO that sounds like chicken little..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #20
TonyR
Franchise Poster

According to this he played poorly against Atlanta as well:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...y-team-week-2/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #21
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
Yeah I was just throwing it out there. Honestly I didn't watch just him enough to say. He didn't stick out in the game for either having offensive players run by him, or for making a lot of plays. Broncos bring a lot of outside pressure. There is a chance they have the end not fire off as fast so he has better chance at containing the play. Not saying that is what was happening I have no idea really lol.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #22
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post

Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #23
Bmore Manning

Fontaine, thank you for the observations and the write up. It's ashame you can't share your thoughts and have a constructive talk on here, without being told this is a sky is falling thread.

I posted a thread a few weeks ago called problems and solutions and offered a very similar analysis. Wolfe is not explosive off his first step, he doesn't have great technique yet.. But he is relentless! I understand the importance of having a run stopping DE on the strong side. This allows Miller to come off the edge in our 4-3 Under Look. He has the Red Bryant DE role from Seattle in their similar scheme. Understanding our scheme and player roles, I would rather see Malik play that DE role. He is stout against the run and more explosive as a pass rusher as evidence from pre season, Jackson seemed to be everywhere!

I could understand Ayers in a rotation with Jackson to get him accommodated to the speed of the game and transition him to an NFL player. Wolfe would be better suited to play UT with an impressive Vickerson playing the NT. Wolfe's relentlessness would allow him to use his natural abilities from the interior, and his weaknesses would not be exposed as they are on the edge.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #24
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Dumervil View Post
I agree, making some good observations. I imagine Wolfe will be a non-factor alot of this season.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #25
Bacchus

I like this DL. I like Wolfe, Vickerson, Banan, Doonm and Ayers. There are a lot of lunch box guys here and they have done a great job stopping the run and getting pressures on the QB.