The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default Only team with 2 WRs over 320 yards

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...ootball-week-5

Quote:
The Broncos are the only team with a pair of receivers with more than 320 yards this season. Until this year, they'd never had two pass-catchers hit that mark through four games in the same year—but Manning had. In fact, this is the fourth time Manning has had two receivers this prolific through four games: 2006 (Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison), 2009 (Wayne and Dallas Clark) and 2010 (Wayne and Austin Collie).
We've been playing from behind in 3 games (even more passing than usual), there have been drop issues for both...but, on the whole, they're getting open and picking up YAC with the best of them right now.

The front office's faith to go into the season with young #1 and #2 receivers may not be fully rewarded yet, but clearly they've disproven the media who painted us as a talent bereft offense with nothing for Peyton to work with.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

If Decker and Thomas continue on their current pace, they're both looking at 1,200 yard finishes, and trips to Hawaii.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
Endy
Jersey Mistake

Thanks McDaniels for my season tix

Just think how good Thomas could be if he didn't run lazy routes, at least TRIED to tap his toes inbounds, caught all the passes he's supposed to catch, and didn't drop the ball when trying to shift to the outside hand even though it should have been in there the whole time.
Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
If Decker and Thomas continue on their current pace, they're both looking at 1,200 yard finishes, and trips to Hawaii.
nah.. we'll be in the superbowl, they cant go to Hawaii then
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...ootball-week-5

We've been playing from behind in 3 games (even more passing than usual), there have been drop issues for both...but, on the whole, they're getting open and picking up YAC with the best of them right now.

The front office's faith to go into the season with young #1 and #2 receivers may not be fully rewarded yet, but clearly they've disproven the media who painted us as a talent bereft offense with nothing for Peyton to work with.
They'll only get better too.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endy View Post
Just think how good Thomas could be if he didn't run lazy routes, at least TRIED to tap his toes inbounds, caught all the passes he's supposed to catch, and didn't drop the ball when trying to shift to the outside hand even though it should have been in there the whole time.
Running "lazy" routes as you point out has NOTHING to do with being lazy. He has never been told or schooled how to run great routes until now. He is a work in progress but he and LAZY have nothing in common.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Running "lazy" routes as you point out has NOTHING to do with being lazy. He has never been told or schooled how to run great routes until now. He is a work in progress but he and LAZY have nothing in common.
He need to watch how Ladanian Tomlinson used he straight arm. DT sticks it out too early and it allows defender to grab his arm. LT would wait until last second then violently send out the straight arm in like an uppercut. Very brutal and effective. He probably got an extra 300 yrds a yr with that straight arm.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
You could see how pissed he was after that play. Kid is driven. He'll continue to get better.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Crazy to think about with how well Ryan, White, and Jones have been playing. Bess is three yards away from 300 too, with Hartline.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
spiralism

Quote:
Thomas is far from lazy... he's dumb as **** though so he has to work hard and learn by experience on the mental aspects of the game
Old 10-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Given what he has had to overcome, it's pretty incredible he's gotten this far, and I have no doubt he is smart, tough, and dedicated enough to become a great WR.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
Endy
Jersey Mistake

Thanks McDaniels for my season tix

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralism View Post
Thomas is far from lazy... he's dumb as **** though so he has to work hard and learn by experience on the mental aspects of the game
I'm sorry, but it doesn't take a mental heavyweight to know that two feet must be inbounds for a reception (especially one that would have resulted in Manning having a full minute longer to beat the Texans).

It also doesn't take a genius to know that when you run a route, you must run it decisively and sharply. The "almost" interception in the first quarter on Sunday happened right in front of me and it was obvious the entire time that DT did not cut sharply and let the defender get in front of him easily.

I don't blame him for the mental aspects of not understanding Manning's system fully yet and I understand that he only ran go routes at GTech, but there are many things that he can do better and he should already be doing better.
Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #13
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Hemanuel Sandrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralism View Post
Interestingly, I don't see him hook sliding and leaving TONS of YAC on the field.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #14
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
I'm sorry, but it doesn't take a mental heavyweight to know that two feet must be inbounds for a reception (especially one that would have resulted in Manning having a full minute longer to beat the Texans).

It also doesn't take a genius to know that when you run a route, you must run it decisively and sharply. The "almost" interception in the first quarter on Sunday happened right in front of me and it was obvious the entire time that DT did not cut sharply and let the defender get in front of him easily.

I don't blame him for the mental aspects of not understanding Manning's system fully yet and I understand that he only ran go routes at GTech, but there are many things that he can do better and he should already be doing better.
nit picky, sometimes you manage to get both feet in...sometimes you don't. He didn't have too much trouble on the TD in Atlanta. His routes have steadily improved, and he is getting great at adjusting his route based on the rush. He has some drops, but so do all wide outs. Roddy White lead the league last year, I believe Calvin Johnson might be this year.

Watch Dez Bryant to see a guy who isn't getting it when he should be
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #15
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

I like how this became a thread about him bad our two WRs are!
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #16
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:

Dude knows what to do in those situations. Look at the effort he put in to get two feet down for the TD vs the Falcons couple weeks ago. Sometimes great receivers just can't get the second foot down on those passes.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #17
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Imagine how many more touchdowns John Elway would have if wasn't always trying to run so much.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #18
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Both guys have great potential, and they also have a lot to learn. That's not unusual for 3rd year players, especially at the WR position.

Hopefully they continue to improve and become as potent as Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne were.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #19
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
Dude knows what to do in those situations. Look at the effort he put in to get two feet down for the TD vs the Falcons couple weeks ago. Sometimes great receivers just can't get the second foot down on those passes.
They're different types of catches. The one DT missed is a lack of awareness, and should improve with time.

He has to understand where he is on the missed TD against Houston, and kill his stride so he can drag his feet. Decker missed a TD the exact same way last year. It's more difficult to be aware of where you are on the field when you're running full stride as opposed to running an out route. Thomas is tracking that ball over his shoulder for 30 yards.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #20
dbfan4life
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Didn't he make a phenomenal catch the week before...by getting two feet down in the back of the endzone for a TD? A little short-term memory lapse there? But yeah, the fumble on the hand switch was dumb and needs to cut out the drops but I think he's improved his route running. He'll be fine.
dbfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #21
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

how does one come to the conlusion that Thomas is dumb?
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #22
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

It should have been obvious to you that the actual problem on that play was that DT and Dreeson ran into each other.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #23
fdf
Ring of Famer

Quote:

I saw training camp one day this year. The difference between Thomas' routes and Stokley's is night and day. Stokley's cuts are sharp angles. Thomas rounds off the corner. If Thomas could learn to run routes half as well as Stokley, he would be a monster. That's why Stokley is still playing pro-football at a high level at his age. He has the technical stuff down pat and it makes up for the fact he's not as fast as he was 12 years ago.
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #24
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdf View Post
I saw training camp one day this year. The difference between Thomas' routes and Stokley's is night and day. Stokley's cuts are sharp angles. Thomas rounds off the corner. If Thomas could learn to run routes half as well as Stokley, he would be a monster. That's why Stokley is still playing pro-football at a high level at his age. He has the technical stuff down pat and it makes up for the fact he's not as fast as he was 12 years ago.
This is like comparing a scat back to Bettis, it makes no sense. DT is never going to run routes like a 5'11 185 lber.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #25
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
how does one come to the conlusion that Thomas is dumb?
Because this one time he failed to get both feet down while running and leaping at full speed with an NFL CB on him.

And, also, after playing on an option offense in college and playing in an option offense again mostly of last year, he has room for improvement on route running now that we throw it 40 times a game.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote