The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default Ed Hoculi responds to an email.

http://m.deadspin.com/5946306/heres-...-he-missed-him

Some of the comments are funny.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
We've all yelled at refs in the past. But that is a span of years and years. There's more screw ups in 3 weeks than a decade of real ref blunders
Old 09-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
We've all yelled at refs in the past. But that is a span of years and years. There's more screw ups in 3 weeks than a decade of real ref blunders
That is the part that posters like gort don't get.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Screw Hoculi and the other refs. I am for one don't think this is the NFL fault. The refs are demanding too much considering they only work 5hrs per week for 25 weeks and making well over six digits. Now they want a pension plan? Please.. whatever. I say let the scabs continue to ref the games.
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
Screw Hoculi and the other refs. I am for one don't think this is the NFL fault. The refs are demanding too much considering they only work 5hrs per week for 25 weeks and making well over six digits. Now they want a pension plan? Please.. whatever. I say let the scabs continue to ref the games.
Cool story, bro.

Get used to watching watered down games and hour long first quarters. Oh and constant b****ing in the media.

Because if you love football, the thing you want to watch most on Tuesday isn't a recap of the weekend's games, it's how badly the refs screwed up.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
I guarantee that this place would be melting down, if the Broncos were the ones playing the Seahawks last night...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Ha ha the NFL wants these guys to quit their fulltime jobs to just work for the NFL so they will make less money per year! Who Doesn't want less money per year! Another poster that doesn't know what is really going on!
Old 09-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
I guarantee that this place would be melting down, if the Broncos were the ones playing the Seahawks last night...
I understand what you're saying, but I'm not going to sit here and point my finger at the NFL while the locked out refs are sitting at home laughing it up. If you were the owners, would you give into the refs? i wouldn't.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Cool story, bro.

Get used to watching watered down games and hour long first quarters. Oh and constant b****ing in the media.

Because if you love football, the thing you want to watch most on Tuesday isn't a recap of the weekend's games, it's how badly the refs screwed up.
its a business and should ran like a business. the fans are b****ing, yet watch every single second of the game. until the fans boycott, it wont change.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
Agamemnon

Quote:
The integrity of a multi-billion dollar league is clearly worth what they are asking for. To think otherwise, especially after the last three weeks is beyond laughable.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #11
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Ha ha the NFL wants these guys to quit their fulltime jobs to just work for the NFL so they will make less money per year! Who Doesn't want less money per year! Another poster that doesn't know what is really going on!
please inform me than enlighten one. this is what i hear on the radio and read on the news. is this lock out because the refs don't want to quit their fulltime job or is it because they want a pension plan?
Old 09-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
The integrity of a multi-billion dollar league is clearly worth what they are asking for. To think otherwise, especially after the last three weeks is beyond laughable.
i think this is just the first step. giving into the refs can cause a ripple effect. i think of this as a business and as bad as things have been going, the money is still rolling in, sponsors are still lining up and the fans are still watching.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
please inform me than enlighten one. this is what i hear on the radio and read on the news. is this lock out because the refs don't want to quit their fulltime job or is it because they want a pension plan?
Full-time officials

The NFL wants seven full-time officials -- one at each officiating position -- to improve the overall quality of the group. Potentially, the number of full-timers could grow.

The NFLRA knows that to be full-time, officials would have to leave their other (full-time) jobs and lose income. The NFL is not going to pay them an amount equal to their present sum of two incomes, nor will it pay what MLB or NBA full-time referees make.
Again, the NFL is trying to make a change in the culture.

Proposed solution: The NFL caps the number of full-time officials and provides year-round physical training and rules seminars throughout the offseason to improve the quality and fitness of its officials group.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=8421697
Old 09-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #14
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

To think this is just about a pension is wrong.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
i think this is just the first step. giving into the refs can cause a ripple effect. i think of this as a business and as bad as things have been going, the money is still rolling in, sponsors are still lining up and the fans are still watching.
for now
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #16
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Full-time officials

The NFL wants seven full-time officials -- one at each officiating position -- to improve the overall quality of the group. Potentially, the number of full-timers could grow.

The NFLRA knows that to be full-time, officials would have to leave their other (full-time) jobs and lose income. The NFL is not going to pay them an amount equal to their present sum of two incomes, nor will it pay what MLB or NBA full-time referees make.
Again, the NFL is trying to make a change in the culture.

Proposed solution: The NFL caps the number of full-time officials and provides year-round physical training and rules seminars throughout the offseason to improve the quality and fitness of its officials group.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=8421697
ok, im wrong for stating this is only about the pension, stupid mike and mike in the morning.

c'mon, you can't even compare NFL refs to NBA or MLB. NBA plays 80 games while MLB plays a gazillion games a year. to pay them on the same scale would be crazy.

do the college refs have some pension plan or paid as full time employees?
Old 09-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #17
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
whatever, they have a pension plan and the cash flush nfl wants to terminate it.........maybe you will get treated this way someday......?

regardless there is a significant difference between the replacements and the real ones..............plain as day.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #18
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
for now
im not going to stop watching even if the product on the field is bad.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #19
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
ok, im wrong for stating this is only about the pension, stupid mike and mike in the morning.

c'mon, you can't even compare NFL refs to NBA or MLB. NBA plays 80 games while MLB plays a gazillion games a year. to pay them on the same scale would be crazy.

do the college refs have some pension plan or paid as full time employees?
blah, blah, blah..........

strike a deal in the middle, give them something positive and move.

nfl is being greedy
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #20
Broncos4tw
Ring of Famer

Quote:
The refs don't work "5 hours a week." How ridiculous. They typically work 25 to 30 hours a week, more if you are the head ref. They have to review game tape, make reports to the NFL, they work offseason as well, to get on the same page. They have full time jobs as well, which the NFL wants them to basically quit. Many are business owners, lawyers, judges, even doctors.

Would YOU work without any sort of a pension plan? And that's not even scratching the surface of the real issues behind this.

It's pretty clear from the first few weeks, how much more they do ref, than the people we have reffing right now. They may screw up on occasion, but they control the games. They never seem out of control of a game. They see at the speed of an NFL game - the current refs are slow as hell, they miss so much that is going on. It's why players are getting away with so much.

If they can afford to pay players and coaches the amount they do, they can afford to pony up to get real full time refs, and give them the pension they deserve.
Broncos4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #21
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
im not going to stop watching even if the product on the field is bad.
But you're hardcore. The majority of NFL fans are casual and they can and will eventually be turned off by a poor product.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #22
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

NFL ref already have have a pension,the big problem is the NFL wants to freeze & switch it to a less attractive 401.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1879049.html
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #23
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
But you're hardcore. The majority of NFL fans are casual and they can and will eventually be turned off by a poor product.
XFL anyone?
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #24
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos4tw View Post
They typically work 25 to 30 hours a week, more if you are the head ref.
Hmm...sounds a little short to me. Does that include travel time? Because, you know, any job I've ever worked has also included my travel time.

Quote:
Exactly. And I have four hardcore friends (Packers fans, god bless em) who threw up their hands last night and swore off the rest of the season until the refs come back. How do I know that? They withdrew from our fantasy league.

Casual fans don't tune in to watch 4 hour games marred with penalties. They are the ones constantly complaining that the games last long enough as it is. They also don't like watered down product. TV ratings dropped 20% in 1987 for the time the players were on strike, and that was only 3 weeks long.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #25
Pontius Pirate
Ring of Famer

I believe the referee situation for the NFL would be better if there was not a labor union involved. Free market talent etc. etc.

I.e. instead of having to negotiate with a union to represent all ~150 refs on pay, benefits, hours, working conditions, safety, etc. - just pay wages based on skill (not tenure) and keep the best & fire the rest. Having a labor union in the middle of all that complicates things as they treat the entire labor pool as one entity and individual skill becomes much less important.

I'd argue that labor unions for professional athletes is silly as well BUT I can see how vital their impact is relative to player safety i.e. working conditions.
Pontius Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote