The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
Bmore Manning

Default Problems and Solutions

I'll tell you what's wrong with this team as objective and straight forward as possible..

Offense:
1. Problem on OLine- Manny Rameriz is a huge weak link and liability! Every time Peyton steps up into the pocket, his player is able to collapse the pocket and or make the sack.

Solution- Kuper, when he is back and healthy this should reduce this problem ten fold. I am pleasantly surprised with the play of Beadles and Walton thus far. Franklin has played well, I think the OLine will be better with Kuper in the lineup.

2. Problem at WR- I truly thought that Peyton did not need play makers on the outside, that he elevates the game of everyone around him. While he does, there is nobody on the outside who can take the top off the Defense and make a play on the outside. Thomas and Decker both have a case of the drops. Thomas is good after the catch, Decker would be better suited to play the slot. Both are very raw, both need improvement in route running, and in awareness.

Solution- There defencies (route running/awareness) will improve in time and in working with Peyton. I don't see any impact play maker sitting at home that will come in and make a difference. I don't think a rookie WR in next years draft will be the answer, I think the big FA acquisition after this season should be an impact WR.. Wallace would be my first choice, as he is young, can flat out fly, and has developed his route tree to make him more than one dimensional. Jennings would be a great consolation prize. This puts Decker in the slot where he would be more productive, and Thomas as the intermediate route runner and after the catch guy to utilize his strengths. This is the most important area to address on offense.

3. Problem at RB- Mcgahee is getting long in the tooth, Hillman can't pass protect, and there's nothing to look forward to towards the future of the position if Hillman can't pass protect.

Solution- I would draft a RB in the draft who has McGahee qualities, tough between the tackles, great pass protector, someone who has game breaking abilities. Get creative and use Hillman in a Sproles type role, use his explosive ability in different wrinkles.

Defense:

1. Problem on DLine- Where is the pressure? I love Wolfe, I understand his role at DE on the strong side in our scheme, but Wolfe does not have the reputuare of moves nor the speed to beat his man off the edge on any type of consistent basis.

Solution- I would utilize Wolfe at UT, move Big Vick no NT. I would use a combination of Jackson and Ayers at Strong Side DE, both can offer the same run support as Wolfe and in my opinion offer more in terms of pass rush from the edge. I think Jackson could fill the Strong Side DE role beautifully, using Ayers in combination will let Jackson get his feet wet. I think this suttle switch will give more speed on the edge and give more interior push with moving Wolfe inside.

2. Problem at LB- Where to begin here.. There is not a natural leader at LB.. Mays is not the long term solution though I love his physicality. Woodyard is not the long term answer at WLB. Miller needs to improve in run support and drastically in coverage!

Solution- I would trade up in the draft for Manti Te'o. If you don't know who he is, watch some Notre Dame tape! He is the answer at MLB this team needs. Tough, physical, and a natural leader! I think Miller can and will improve over time. At WLB, I hope Trevathan can be the guy I think he can be. I can't believe I'm saying this but getting DJ back might help short term.

3. Problem at DB- I think it's funny to read comments about how much better Moore is. He and the entire secondary miss assignment after assignment and cannot get off the field on third down! Twice now when the game was on the line! I don't see the play makers at safety and there is no physicality from our secondary!

Solution- I think there needs to be a thumper in the secondary to make opposing players pay the price for running in the second level or trying to catch a pass on his watch! **** an entire secondary of big physical press corners would be just what is needed, look at Seattles Secondary, all big physical thumpers, that Denver should try to replicate. Bolden may have potential here, same with QC, I think there needs to be more upgrading going forward!

Summary Going Forward-
1. Get an impact WR in FA this offseason.
2. Get a young impact RB in the draft.
3. Add depth to the OLine.
4. Move Wolfe to UT and Jackson to DE.
5. Move up for Te'o in the draft to solidify MLB.
6. Get big press, physicsl corners.
7. Add physicality to the safety position.
8. Add all around playmakers to this team!
9. Find an identity on offense.
10. Physicality and Finesse on Offense and Defense.

Stop blamming Peyton, there are much bigger issues to address and worry about. You same pundits who predicted 10-6, and 9-7 are panicking! Who did you think we would lose too if you had Denver losing 6-7 games? Those were two tough teams, in close games at the end. If Peyton gets the ball back in Atlanta, and before the 2min mark this week, we could be talking about a 3-0 team, despite "weak arm" and his "finished" ass.

Patriots are 1-2, GreenBay may be 1-2, Saints are 0-3, Detroit 1-2, Pittsburgh 1-2.. Relax!! Plenty of season left! We are in good company!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Que
Gettin' some

Just the tip

Interesting read but one nit to pick? What's with the conclusion that Hillman cant pass protect? I saw a couple of plays where he was pretty effective back there. One in particular where we came across and laid the wood on the pass rusher. Am I missing something?
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Draft Rex Burkhead
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que View Post
Interesting read but one nit to pick? What's with the conclusion that Hillman cant pass protect? I saw a couple of plays where he was pretty effective back there. One in particular where we came across and laid the wood on the pass rusher. Am I missing something?
I haven't seen enough of him to really know so i cant comment..just wish they would give him more oppurtunities. I agree with pretty much every thing OP said including moving Decker to the slot. None of which will happen im guessing.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
Bmore Manning

Quote:
I really thought the opposite from the limited amount we have seen of him. I saw Hillman over powered in pass protection and I think that could be a reoccuring theme. I'm not advocating not using him, quiet the opposite. I am merely suggesting he's not the every down RB of the future, though I think he can be special in packages and different wrinkles! I think there was a write up on how Fox was disappointed with his inability thus far to pass protect, which is limiting his playing time.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
Turd_Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
I'll tell you what's wrong with this team as objective and straight forward as possible..

Offense:
1. Problem on OLine- Manny Rameriz is a huge weak link and liability! Every time Peyton steps up into the pocket, his player is able to collapse the pocket and or make the sack.

Solution- Kuper, when he is back and healthy this should reduce this problem ten fold. I am pleasantly surprised with the play of Beadles and Walton thus far. Franklin has played well, I think the OLine will be better with Kuper in the lineup.
This is a great point, the rest of the post is pretty lame and basically reiterates every other post on this site. GOOD GOD RAMIREZ SUCKS ASS!
Old 09-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
I saw the same thing.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
Drunken.Broncoholic

Pretty much what most of us see here. It's time for Kuper to slap some cement on that arm and get in there. If they watch the Pitt raider game they might wait another week, since Big Ben had all day to throw. Get him in there against that lack of pressure to get some reps
Old 09-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #9
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
This is a great point, the rest of the post is pretty lame and basically reiterates every other post on this site. GOOD GOD RAMIREZ SUCKS ASS!
I wouldn't call my solutions lame what so ever. What is lame, is a turd like you calling someone's time, work, and effort lame. Yet you offered nothing for discussion.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #10
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

Quote:
I wouldn't call my solutions lame what so ever. What is lame, is a turd like you calling someone's time, work, and effort lame. Yet you offered nothing for discussion.
Gotta love these Manning fans. Almost as bad as the Tebow fans.
Yeah, Manning has been perfect so far. All of our problems are everyone elses fault.
ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #11
Bronco Yoda

It may just be time for Kuper to rub some dirt on his booboo and get in the ****ing game already.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Start faster and not hope for/rely on a 4th quarter rally.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:05 AM   #13
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1999e View Post
Yeah, Manning has been perfect so far. All of our problems are everyone elses fault.
You blame Manning for the two loses?

Your football IQ is zero, I will disregard everything you say for now on.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #14
Natedogg
1st Amendment Protection

You givin' me a ride home Russell??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Travis Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Start faster and not hope for/rely on a 4th quarter rally.

Don't be silly. Why do that when we can just imagine the free agents we can sign and top prospects we can draft in the offseason??!!
Natedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #15
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1999e View Post
You really can't help showing your ass, can you?
Old 09-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #16
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
You blame Manning for the two loses?

Your football IQ is zero, I will disregard everything you say for now on.

So 3 int's in a 15 minute quarter are on who? Manning is going to the HoF, but that does not place him above criticism.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #17
pricejj
jungle

Quote:

Offense:

Agree. Franklin, Walton, and Beadles have all shown great progression over the offseason. This is an OL we can work with. Although the jury is still out on run blocking (to a degree), pass protection has been excellent. We should be able to roll with this unit until Manning retires.

Quote:
2. Problem at WR- I truly thought that Peyton did not need play makers on the outside, that he elevates the game of everyone around him. While he does, there is nobody on the outside who can take the top off the Defense and make a play on the outside. Thomas and Decker both have a case of the drops. Thomas is good after the catch, Decker would be better suited to play the slot. Both are very raw, both need improvement in route running, and in awareness.

Solution- There defencies (route running/awareness) will improve in time and in working with Peyton. I don't see any impact play maker sitting at home that will come in and make a difference. I don't think a rookie WR in next years draft will be the answer, I think the big FA acquisition after this season should be an impact WR.. Wallace would be my first choice, as he is young, can flat out fly, and has developed his route tree to make him more than one dimensional. Jennings would be a great consolation prize. This puts Decker in the slot where he would be more productive, and Thomas as the intermediate route runner and after the catch guy to utilize his strengths. This is the most important area to address on offense.
Agree. These WR's are who we thought they were. Decker would be better in the slot, though he wouldn't start over Stokley at this point. The FO will need to look for an FA upgrade in the offseason for a true #1 WR...in the meantime, DT and Decker have all season to prove themselves.

Quote:
3. Problem at RB- Mcgahee is getting long in the tooth, Hillman can't pass protect, and there's nothing to look forward to towards the future of the position if Hillman can't pass protect.

Solution- I would draft a RB in the draft who has McGahee qualities, tough between the tackles, great pass protector, someone who has game breaking abilities. Get creative and use Hillman in a Sproles type role, use his explosive ability in different wrinkles.
We don't know anything about Hillman yet. I am reserving all judgement over the RB position until Hillman gets more touches. Upgrading the RB position in the offseason remains an option.

Quote:
Defense:

1. Problem on DLine- Where is the pressure? I love Wolfe, I understand his role at DE on the strong side in our scheme, but Wolfe does not have the reputuare of moves nor the speed to beat his man off the edge on any type of consistent basis.

Solution- I would utilize Wolfe at UT, move Big Vick no NT. I would use a combination of Jackson and Ayers at Strong Side DE, both can offer the same run support as Wolfe and in my opinion offer more in terms of pass rush from the edge. I think Jackson could fill the Strong Side DE role beautifully, using Ayers in combination will let Jackson get his feet wet. I think this suttle switch will give more speed on the edge and give more interior push with moving Wolfe inside.
Agreed. I have echoed this point many times. If the DT's cannot generate any pass rush, this position will need to be addressed again in the offseason.

Quote:
2. Problem at LB- Where to begin here.. There is not a natural leader at LB.. Mays is not the long term solution though I love his physicality. Woodyard is not the long term answer at WLB. Miller needs to improve in run support and drastically in coverage!

Solution- I would trade up in the draft for Manti Te'o. If you don't know who he is, watch some Notre Dame tape! He is the answer at MLB this team needs. Tough, physical, and a natural leader! I think Miller can and will improve over time. At WLB, I hope Trevathan can be the guy I think he can be. I can't believe I'm saying this but getting DJ back might help short term.
Agreed. Teo's name has came up consistently over the past year. Was hoping he would declare for the 2012 draft. Mays is a dead man walking. He is on the field for over 90% of the Defensive plays, and still cannot generate any tackles. I would think Teo is a top 20 selection. MLB needs to be addressed, and Teo seems like the all-or-nothing option.

Quote:
3. Problem at DB- I think it's funny to read comments about how much better Moore is. He and the entire secondary miss assignment after assignment and cannot get off the field on third down! Twice now when the game was on the line! I don't see the play makers at safety and there is no physicality from our secondary!

Solution- I think there needs to be a thumper in the secondary to make opposing players pay the price for running in the second level or trying to catch a pass on his watch! **** an entire secondary of big physical press corners would be just what is needed, look at Seattles Secondary, all big physical thumpers, that Denver should try to replicate. Bolden may have potential here, same with QC, I think there needs to be more upgrading going forward!
Rahim Moore is better than Mike Adams already. Ray Ray Armstrong seems like the logical solution to replace Adams, but I doubt he would be there for our 2nd round pick. The Broncos chose the cheapest option at Safety, and are now paying the price. There are no Safeties who can fill the role of a "thumper" on the Broncos roster. Unfortunately, I don't think the Broncos will get rid of Mike Adams after only one year. I also think the Broncos are set at CB until Manning retires.

Unfortunately...there is not going to be much space under the salary cap.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #18
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I swear if we had an MLB worth a ****, we would be 2-1 right now...dead serious.

I would also like to see Caldwell get a shot, why not at this point.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #19
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

This is an excellent take Bmore.

My only addition would be that I think we need more out of the TE position. Maybe Virgil Green will do something now that is back from suspension and perhaps the enigma known as Julius Thomas goes somewhere but I am not holding my breathe.

Watching PFM over the years, he seems like he likes/relies on attacking the middle of the field, usually via the TE but also with the slot. Stokely has been a pleasant surprise but he isnt enough.
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #20
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
So 3 int's in a 15 minute quarter are on who? Manning is going to the HoF, but that does not place him above criticism.

They are 100% Peyton's fault. He forced the ball downfield into coverage. Very un characteristic of him. But everyone has bad games, he had a bad quarter, he almost led the team back, if the defense makes a stop on third down in that game and frankly in the Houston game, we could be talking about a 3-0 team. Don't you think the deficits they have been in would typically be too much for most all NFL QBs, yet Manning never faltered and led the team back! Sure he needs to shake off more rust, the guy was out of Football 18 months, had 1 bad quarter, and has been damn good in every other quarter!
Old 09-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #21
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
I swear if we had an MLB worth a ****, we would be 2-1 right now...dead serious.

I would also like to see Caldwell get a shot, why not at this point.
Well this is put up or shut up time for Irving right? This should be his chance to show his stuff with Mays suspended.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #22
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Well this is put up or shut up time for Irving right? This should be his chance to show his stuff with Mays suspended.
He was knocked out so I doubt he plays
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #23
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll15Hyde View Post
This is an excellent take Bmore.

My only addition would be that I think we need more out of the TE position. Maybe Virgil Green will do something now that is back from suspension and perhaps the enigma known as Julius Thomas goes somewhere but I am not holding my breathe.

Watching PFM over the years, he seems like he likes/relies on attacking the middle of the field, usually via the TE but also with the slot. Stokely has been a pleasant surprise but he isnt enough.
Thank you! Tamme never presented much after the catch, Clark was faster so it helped. Hopefully one of these young TEs can develop and be the answer. This team needs play makers. A big thing people miss, is Peyton was all about timing and the rapport with his receivers. He is still working on that here, it's been a few months.. Peyton had over a decade in Indy..
Old 09-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #24
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
They are 100% Peyton's fault. He forced the ball downfield into coverage. Very un characteristic of him. But everyone has bad games, he had a bad quarter, he almost led the team back, if the defense makes a stop on third down in that game and frankly in the Houston game, we could be talking about a 3-0 team. Don't you think the deficits they have been in would typically be too much for most all NFL QBs, yet Manning never faltered and led the team back! Sure he needs to shake off more rust, the guy was out of Football 18 months, had 1 bad quarter, and has been damn good in every other quarter!

In three games, you can cull 4 quarters of good play. They need to start faster, which will happen as they all get comfortable with one another.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #25
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
He was knocked out so I doubt he plays
Yeah I saw, I didn't know he was going to miss this week.. I'd much rather see Johnson over Brooking, any word on how they handle it?