The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
Vine

Default NFL Goal Posts

If you watched the end of the NE/BAL game you'll know what I am talking about. Why don't the uprights of NFL goal posts go up at least another 30 or 50 feet so there is absolutely no disputing if a field goal is good or not. A goal post should be high enough so that field goals cannot possibly be kicked over the top of the uprights.

If they don't want to make the goal posts higher, they should suspend a camera hanging from a cable thats stretched across the top of the stadium in such a way so that you can get an overhead shot looking straight down at the top of the upright. That would give a conclusive view if field goals are good or not.

Why should we have to trust these refs?

Having said that, I am glad to see the Patriots lose. I don't like them.

Last edited by Vine; 09-23-2012 at 10:06 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Lasers. Shooting straight up from on the top of the poles. Extending up into forever. And then, after touchdowns, they could start spinning and shooting out all over in 20 different colors as Pink Floyd plays over the PA. Make it happen, Goodell.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

I am assuming the physics of building them higher would require beefed up bases and additional structure. Given that disputes like tonight do not happen often enough it probably is overkill.

That said, the league needs to focus on getting rid of these abysmal replacement refs rather than fixing the upright issue. Refs are pathetic.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
I am assuming the physics of building them higher would require beefed up bases and additional structure. Given that disputes like tonight do not happen often enough it probably is overkill.

That said, the league needs to focus on getting rid of these abysmal replacement refs rather than fixing the upright issue. Refs are pathetic.
I wondered about the physics, but I disagree about how often you see FG's kicked over the top of uprights. It seems like I have seen several such FG's attempted every year.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Yeah.

I'm really amazed at how much talk (not just on this site) is about "X or Y rule should be changed." The current NFL refs can barely get the current rules straight, let's not put the horse before the cart.

FIRST get refs who know their ass from a hole in the ground. THEN evaluate the legitimacy of current NFL rules.

Hell, maybe if they made the refs full time positions they'd have an opinion on what can be done with the current rules instead of just letting the competition committee try and deal with them.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
Lasers. Shooting straight up from on the top of the poles. Extending up into forever. And then, after touchdowns, they could start spinning and shooting out all over in 20 different colors as Pink Floyd plays over the PA. Make it happen, Goodell.
This could be a solution. Activate the lasers on FG attempts. Deactivate them during all other parts of games so not to be unnecessary distractions.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Well that isn't a bad idea, the laser part. Screw pink floyd though, it should be the Doors!

The problem with lasers is you need an end reference to help tell a system that a ball broke the plane. Think garage door sensors that stop a door from closing if something breaks the beam on the bottom. You could do it in closed roof stadiums but ones like Mile High there is no roof to place an end sensor.

I am sure there is technology out there that could be used though. Maybe a GPS based system. The ones in our phones or car navigation aren't accurate enough as they can have an error of several feet. But they could use a GPS like land surveyors use where it ties to a base unit that sets a ground reference and triangulates the location and gives a much more accurate location, within centimeters. Or maybe use WAAS or LAAS technology.

Okay, I have thought about this way too much now!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
The problem with lasers is you need an end reference to help tell a system that a ball broke the plane.
Here's your end reference

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #9
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Dude, genius. Just send Superman up with receiver and have him use his laser eye power to calibrate.

Great use of "out of the box thinking"!

Old 09-24-2012, 01:02 AM   #10
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

It goes back to the old idea of wiring up the ball/stadium. Kind of takes the fun out of it (imho) if it gets too precise.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:14 AM   #11
menonite

Quote:

Good luck with that. Goodell would probably hire "Fink Ployd," a high school cover band. Sure they don't know all of the songs or even how to play all of their instruments - but Roger Waters hit a wrong note just last year. So they're exactly as good.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:38 AM   #12
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

It's completely stupid they can't make them longer. With the materials of today, they could easily be longer and not add any additional weight and still be just as strong.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:41 AM   #13
menonite

Call me crazy but can't cameras pretty much pinpoint whether it's good or not? It isn't like they're analyzing the Zapruder film or a Bigfoot video or something.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:23 AM   #14
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

I'm for whatever makes Belichick loose his shiat. Lower them if necessary.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:15 AM   #15
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

Don't think the FAA would be happy about the laser idea.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:29 AM   #16
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
lol...Nice!
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #17
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Aren't all scoring plays supposed to be reviewed anyway?
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #18
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Laser Floyd and football, faces would melt.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #19
BABronco
RP2012

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Clady

Quote:
Love this idea. But as previous poster pointed out it does have flaws. I think that could be easily fixed with a cable extended way above the crossbar with laser attached.

I'd also like to have smart fields. Lasers rigged all up and down the field with a chip in the ball. If there is any question whatsoever as to where the ball is down the system already knows. No more reason to measure for a first down because the system would already know. Do you want to know if the ball crossed into the endzone? Consult the system. Just take that much more ref influence out of the game.
BABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #20
canadianbroncosfan

In tennis, by use of cameras, they can determine to the millimeter where the ball landed on challenges, the same technology isn't available to the NFL?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #21
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
This.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #22
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

A friggin' "laser"...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #23
Rother8
Seasoned Veteran

Mhmugggggeeeee

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABronco View Post
Love this idea. But as previous poster pointed out it does have flaws. I think that could be easily fixed with a cable extended way above the crossbar with laser attached.

I'd also like to have smart fields. Lasers rigged all up and down the field with a chip in the ball. If there is any question whatsoever as to where the ball is down the system already knows. No more reason to measure for a first down because the system would already know. Do you want to know if the ball crossed into the endzone? Consult the system. Just take that much more ref influence out of the game.
Put something in the whistles so that when the play is dead the ball knows it. Otherwise players doing spikes and shi* with the ball after the play would get annoying.
Rother8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #24
DaFace
Resident Chiefs Lurker

Yep.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It's only a controversial call for those who don't matter (everyone but the refs). It's pretty clear whether the ball's in or not when you're standing directly under the goal post.
DaFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #25
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vine View Post
If you watched the end of the NE/BAL game you'll know what I am talking about. Why don't the uprights of NFL goal posts go up at least another 30 or 50 feet so there is absolutely no disputing if a field goal is good or not. A goal post should be high enough so that field goals cannot possibly be kicked over the top of the uprights.

If they don't want to make the goal posts higher, they should suspend a camera hanging from a cable thats stretched across the top of the stadium in such a way so that you can get an overhead shot looking straight down at the top of the upright. That would give a conclusive view if field goals are good or not.

Why should we have to trust these refs?

Having said that, I am glad to see the Patriots lose. I don't like them.
Actually, theres an easy solution. Put a sensor like a laser on the goal posts. This laser points directly up toward the sky, one laser on each post. You only turn the laser on when there's a kick. If the Ball goes above one of the tops of the posts the laser is triggered. If more than 50% of the ball is on the inside of the laser the kick is good. If more than 50% of the ball is on the outside of the laser, the kick is not good.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote