The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #2376
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top
 
DivineLegion's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Peak of Good Living
Posts: 4,784

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Didn't Luongo win a Stanley Cup with the TB Lightning?
Luongo played for the Florida Panthers.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #2377
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,013

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

What do you all think about the Vancouver/NJ trade? From what I've read, it suprised a lot of people and of course makes the Devils look like they stole a potential star goalie.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #2378
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
What do you all think about the Vancouver/NJ trade? From what I've read, it suprised a lot of people and of course makes the Devils look like they stole a potential star goalie.
they basically ensured they will have minimal drop off when Martin retires, which should be within the next 2 years.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #2379
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 10,995

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
What do you all think about the Vancouver/NJ trade? From what I've read, it suprised a lot of people and of course makes the Devils look like they stole a potential star goalie.
Vancouver was not going to be able to move Luongo without either eating part of his salary cap hit or giving up something valuable to get rid of him. Getting rid of Schneider got them something good in return and solves the cluster**** they had going on.

NJ gets what appears to be an heir-apparent to Brodeur which they needed, but if Marty has ambitions of playing another 2 or 3 seasons they created a cluster**** in net. This puts a lot of pressure on Brodeur and the Devils to handle the situation with care.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #2380
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer
 
Tombstone RJ's Avatar
 
Old School

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Tetons!
Posts: 22,013

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams
Default

wow, Martin Brodeur is old, like 40ish right? He needs to be thinking about coaching lol!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #2381
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 10,995

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
wow, Martin Brodeur is old, like 40ish right? He needs to be thinking about coaching lol!
He is so old he was on stage yesterday to announce the drafting of his own son.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #2382
OrangeSe7en
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
pretty happy with the Avs draft so far. i wanted a D man, forward and goalie and dammit we got em!
I was debating whether they would have been better off taking Fucale at 32...or even Hagg. But overall, I agree with you. They did go heavy on defensemen.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #2383
OrangeSe7en
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
he basically already did when he told TSN he thought the divorce was over and he was likely gone.
he couldn't even talk after the trade was announced.
It's not really a revelation that Luongo is weak stock.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #2384
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
It's not really a revelation that Luongo is weak stock.
well damn, i was trying to be nice about it but you just came out and said it

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
I was debating whether they would have been better off taking Fucale at 32...or even Hagg. But overall, I agree with you. They did go heavy on defensemen.
i love Fucale but we needed a D man and Birgas is the top skating D man in the draft and the only skater better overall than him was MacKinnon.
plus we got Spencer Martin in the 3rd and he is a pefect Allaire goalie.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #2385
OrangeSe7en
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
well damn, i was trying to be nice about it but you just came out and said it
There's really no way to work around the edges on this. . It is, what it is.


Quote:
i love Fucale but we needed a D man and Birgas is the top skating D man in the draft and the only skater better overall than him was MacKinnon.
plus we got Spencer Martin in the 3rd and he is a pefect Allaire goalie.
Im not saying there's a definitive right or wrong answer here. Im not unhappy with Birgas, although, I question him being the top skating defenseman. I'd say that probably goes to Morrissey and a few other guys might be in the ballpark as well.

But, I guess, for me, it comes down to timelines. A goalie takes a few years. And so, it becomes a question of how long it will take Bigras to join the Avs and contribute in a significant way. If it takes Bigras 2 years and Fucale 3 years, but Fucale is an elite goalie while Bigras is a good/solid defenseman, I think Fucale would have been the better pick based on this alone. But another moving piece to this becomes Martin's progression.

I will say this though about Martin. He has almost the same save % as Fucale, yet his GAA is a full goal per game worse. This just says that the defense in front of him was signicantly worse than it was for Fucale. It also might say something about Halifax's high end forwards and their ability to control the puck. So, there's definitely some merit to the Martin pick. I kind of think he might have a 5 hole problem. Ive seen a few times where he didn't always get down. But this can change.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #2386
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
There's really no way to work around the edges on this. . It is, what it is.




Im not saying there's a definitive right or wrong answer here. Im not unhappy with Birgas, although, I question him being the top skating defenseman. I'd say that probably goes to Morrissey and a few other guys might be in the ballpark as well.

But, I guess, for me, it comes down to timelines. A goalie takes a few years. And so, it becomes a question of how long it will take Bigras to join the Avs and contribute in a significant way. If it takes Bigras 2 years and Fucale 3 years, but Fucale is an elite goalie while Bigras is a good/solid defenseman, I think Fucale would have been the better pick based on this alone. But another moving piece to this becomes Martin's progression.

I will say this though about Martin. He has almost the same save % as Fucale, yet his GAA is a full goal per game worse. This just says that the defense in front of him was signicantly worse than it was for Fucale. It also might say something about Halifax's high end forwards and their ability to control the puck. So, there's definitely some merit to the Martin pick. I kind of think he might have a 5 hole problem. Ive seen a few times where he didn't always get down. But this can change.
oh Fucale if he reaches his potential will be a franchise goalie with Vezina potential. i wanted Comrie if we didn't get him but Bigras(i keep calling him Birgas for some reason) will have a bigger impact earlier than Fucale would.
Varly will do serious work under Allaire and Roy. so goalie is covered. but Siemins won't be up til next year most likely, then Bigras probably 2 seasons after that and our D is hurting so we needed to draft high and well on that.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #2387
OrangeSe7en
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
oh Fucale if he reaches his potential will be a franchise goalie with Vezina potential. i wanted Comrie if we didn't get him but Bigras(i keep calling him Birgas for some reason) will have a bigger impact earlier than Fucale would.
Varly will do serious work under Allaire and Roy. so goalie is covered. but Siemins won't be up til next year most likely, then Bigras probably 2 seasons after that and our D is hurting so we needed to draft high and well on that.

Well, I keep hearing how O'Reilly will likely be moved at some point, presumably, for a defenseman. Who knows, there could be another asset moved as well for a defenseman.

If the Avs goals against is awful again, they'll get a high pick. It's kind of like a major league baseball team who drafts bats. They'll continue to get good picks until they draft quality pitching that can contribute fairly soon--no matter how many runs they score. Oddly, that's why it's justifiable to draft offense until you have a great offense. I actually, wouldnt be shocked if the Avs signed Ference or another solid defenseman. It kind of depends on the timeline the Avs mgt is willing to live with. If they didn't make a big splash in FA, it wouldnt bother me. The Avs are so, very young. I think it would make sense for them to sign a quality, experienced defenseman, however.

But having said that, I don't think you need elite defensemen. I'd rather have an elite goalie, good defensemen, and elite forwards than a good goalie, elite defensemen, and good forwards.

Last edited by OrangeSe7en; 07-01-2013 at 06:53 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #2388
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller
 
Lestat's Avatar
 
Say what again! I dare you!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 9,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
Well, I keep hearing how O'Reilly will likely be moved at some point, presumably, for a defenseman. Who knows, there could be another asset moved as well for a defenseman.

If the Avs goals against is awful again, they'll get a high pick. It's kind of like a major league baseball team who drafts bats. They'll continue to get good picks until they draft quality pitching that can contribute fairly soon--no matter how many runs they score. Oddly, that's why it's justifiable to draft offense until you have a great offense. I actually, wouldnt be shocked if the Avs signed Ference or another solid defenseman. It kind of depends on the timeline the Avs mgt is willing to live with. If they didn't make a big splash in FA, it wouldnt bother me. The Avs are so, very young. I think it would make sense for them to sign a quality, experienced defenseman, however.

But having said that, I don't think you need elite defensemen. I'd rather have an elite goalie, good defensemen, and elite forwards than a good goalie, elite defensemen, and good forwards.
my guess is we'll sign Hainsey or Scuderi. ROR can't be dealt until a year after he signed his offer sheet. that's many months away.
plus he's being moved to wing so i doubt it's him who gets moved.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #2389
canadianbroncosfan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
What do you all think about the Vancouver/NJ trade? From what I've read, it suprised a lot of people and of course makes the Devils look like they stole a potential star goalie.
I think it surprised everyone not names John Tortorella. It was always rumored that Schenider was A.V.'s guy, this pretty much solidifies that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #2390
24champ
Livin' the dream!
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 19,680

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbroncosfan View Post
I think it surprised everyone not names John Tortorella. It was always rumored that Schenider was A.V.'s guy, this pretty much solidifies that.
Came away impressed with the Blackhawks dealings yesterday. Allowed them to keep their core and resign Bickel who got 4 mill/aav. Probably could have gotten 5.5 on the open market.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #2391
canadianbroncosfan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Came away impressed with the Blackhawks dealings yesterday. Allowed them to keep their core and resign Bickel who got 4 mill/aav. Probably could have gotten 5.5 on the open market.
Mixed emotions about it. I loved Dave Bolland but understand the reality of the salary cap era NHL. So glad though that the made the move and got Bicks resigned. He adds so much to the top two lines.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #2392
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 35,532

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

DiPietro being bought out.

That surprises me cause Wang is historically a cheap ass.
__________________


Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #2393
canadianbroncosfan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
DiPietro being bought out.

That surprises me cause Wang is historically a cheap ass.
Guy will make $1.5M a year for the next 16 years. Just sit back and let the money come in.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #2394
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza
 
Baba Booey's Avatar
 
HURRY HURRY!

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North of the Wall
Posts: 2,041

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

As a Devils fan I'm thrilled with the trade. He's probably better than Marty at the moment, and this'll give them a chance to rest Marty for half the season instead of riding him into the ground.

There were some big-name players available at #9 (I really wanted Nichushkin) but we're talking about a #1 goalie vs. a pick that isn't guaranteed to pan out.

I think if you put Schneider on last season's Devils team they make the playoffs. That ~12 game stretch when Marty went down really screwed them.

In other Devils news, Zubrus being resigned is huge (missed him big time for a good chunk of this year), an Elias contract looks all but done, and Clarkson looks poised to hit the open market.

Re: Clarkson, I'm not surprised. He overachieved big time in 11-12 and he's going to get paid because of it. He's the perfect third liner on a balanced team, but someone is probably going to give him $5 mill+. No thanks.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #2395
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top
 
DivineLegion's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Peak of Good Living
Posts: 4,784

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbroncosfan View Post
Guy will make $1.5M a year for the next 16 years. Just sit back and let the money come in.
Ah yes, if there is a sports agents hall of fame, DiPietros agent would have a Babe like shrine built in his honor.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #2396
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer
 
gyldenlove's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nęstved, DK
Posts: 10,995

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Came away impressed with the Blackhawks dealings yesterday. Allowed them to keep their core and resign Bickel who got 4 mill/aav. Probably could have gotten 5.5 on the open market.
It will be interesting to see how they address their roster with the cap space they created. Currently they have only 1 real center on the roster with Bolland gone, Handzus a free agents and Kruger an RFA. Will Maanta be the backup goalie or will they sign someone to replace Ray Emery?
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #2397
canadianbroncosfan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Its going to be hilarious when he says he still wants to be traded.
That would be awesome!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #2398
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza
 
Baba Booey's Avatar
 
HURRY HURRY!

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North of the Wall
Posts: 2,041

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Dreger thinks Clarkson could get as much as $6.5 mil per.

Well, bye.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #2399
24champ
Livin' the dream!
 
24champ's Avatar
 
Keep Calm and Chive on

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southern California
Posts: 19,680

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Booey View Post
Dreger thinks Clarkson could get as much as $6.5 mil per.

Well, bye.
In this market?
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #2400
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!
 
Ray Finkle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Booey View Post
Dreger thinks Clarkson could get as much as $6.5 mil per.

Well, bye.
Clarkson's not even worth half that.....I feel sorry for the team that signs him to that (hoping for the Pens to see Socal nut over him).
Ray Finkle is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:16 AM.


Denver Broncos