The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #2151
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Gylden I have been meaning to ask you...since you are a London resident....based on what you saw this season is Scott Harrington ready to play in the NHL next season as a third pairing guy? We are counting on either him or Dumoulin being the 6th guy next year. Scott is prolly our best stay at home defensive prospect. I know Hunter thinks he will be in the NHL next year but I dunno.

How far away do you think Maata is? Will he be ready one year from now? That is his estimated time of arrival....at least that is the fans expectations.
Harrington is not ready for prime-time, he is a stay at home type of guy with limited offensive upside and average mobility. His instincts are solid and technically he is decent, but he struggles with speed. I would guess he needs a year in Wilkes-Barre to get used to playing against speed and skill, the ass-whooping the Knights got in the memorial cup really demonstrated his problems with speedy forwards.

Maatta will be ready in a year, his fundamentals have gotten really solid and his two way game is very good. He is not quite as physical or strong as he could be, but he will grow a bit more. I think he is the best of the Knights D, including Harrington and Zadorov.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #2152
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Huh? Are you assuming the games are played in a vacuum and all other variables were the exact same?
Not sure about the vacuum but I'm pretty sure the Stanley Cup is supposed to be played on suitable ice.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #2153
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
Not sure about the vacuum but I'm pretty sure the Stanley Cup is supposed to be played on suitable ice.
but southern buildings routinely have crappy ice, as does msg when the circus is in town, and just about everywhere now with multi use facilities.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #2154
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
but southern buildings routinely have crappy ice, as does msg when the circus is in town, and just about everywhere now with multi use facilities.
It was just game 3. We've never had that problem in the past, but we had unusually warm and humid weather that they weren't ready for that day and it affected the building. They made adjustments and it was all good for game 4.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #2155
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
A lot of building suffer with the ice in June.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #2156
OrangeSe7en

Anyone have any thoughts on who the Avs should draft? Any thoughts on who they will draft?

I know Sakic said they're leaning towards the 3 forwards and not Seth Jones. I think this is a good move. I want them to draft MacKinnon. I also think they will draft MacKinnon.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #2157
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Anyone have any thoughts on who the Avs should draft? Any thoughts on who they will draft?

I know Sakic said they're leaning towards the 3 forwards and not Seth Jones. I think this is a good move. I want them to draft MacKinnon. I also think they will draft MacKinnon.
I would definitely go with Mckinnon, he is supremely skilled and a solid 2-way guy already. Looking at the Avalanche roster, next season is really going to be interesting since Stastny, O'reilly, Landeskog, Duchene and Varlamov will all be some form of free agents. Getting Mckinnon would allow the Avs to let either O'reilly or Stastny go (or even better, trade one of them for a defender this offseason) with Mckinnon taking a spot as 2nd line center behind Duchene - possibly flanked by Parentau and Jones.

Seth Jones is the alternative and he is a good alternative, the blue line for the Avs is a huge weak spot although there are some young guys coming up in the system who could probably contribute.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #2158
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I would definitely go with Mckinnon, he is supremely skilled and a solid 2-way guy already. Looking at the Avalanche roster, next season is really going to be interesting since Stastny, O'reilly, Landeskog, Duchene and Varlamov will all be some form of free agents. Getting Mckinnon would allow the Avs to let either O'reilly or Stastny go (or even better, trade one of them for a defender this offseason) with Mckinnon taking a spot as 2nd line center behind Duchene - possibly flanked by Parentau and Jones.

Seth Jones is the alternative and he is a good alternative, the blue line for the Avs is a huge weak spot although there are some young guys coming up in the system who could probably contribute.
I was looking at defenders. Bowers(?) wouldnt be bad in addition to MacKinnon. I'd take MacKinnon as my first choice but Drouins is also good. I kind of think Ds are over slotted in the top 5.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #2159
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
I was looking at defenders. Bowers(?) wouldnt be bad in addition to MacKinnon. I'd take MacKinnon as my first choice but Drouins is also good. I kind of think Ds are over slotted in the top 5.
I am not a huge fan of Drouin, his speed and stick handling are amazing but that just won't feed the bulldog in the NHL. Drouin is a late bloomer and exploded playing on the most dangerous forward line in the entire CHL this year with Frk and Mckinnon. I think Drouin will face a very difficult transition to the pros and I doubt he will be a significant contributor in the NHL in any of the next 3 seasons.

The Russian kid is a better all-round prospect than Drouin in my view.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #2160
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Hawks one away! Kane coming up big in big games, as usual.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:00 AM   #2161
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
I am not a huge fan of Drouin, his speed and stick handling are amazing but that just won't feed the bulldog in the NHL. Drouin is a late bloomer and exploded playing on the most dangerous forward line in the entire CHL this year with Frk and Mckinnon. I think Drouin will face a very difficult transition to the pros and I doubt he will be a significant contributor in the NHL in any of the next 3 seasons.

Well Drouin does well in traffic but the guys are bigger, faster, and more physical in the NHL, so you're right about his transition being a question mark. MacKinnon is so fast. In theory, there should be a lot more scoring chances with that kind of speed. Having speed in your teams makeup can be a huge positive. The Blackhawks are a good example.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #2162
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I want to see the Avs take Mckinnon, too. He's a center who's a fast skater with a quick shot. Hmmm - sounds like another Joe Sakic.

The Avs are not that far way. They have a good base of young talent. Just look at how they played the Blackhawks in back to back contests this year when their games still meant something (the Avs should have won in Chicago, and did end the Blackhawks long winning streak in game 2 at Pepsi Center)
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #2163
canadianbroncosfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post
the NHL may need it but my ticker's going to ****. I thought they might go ahead and just cruise to a win the other night but NOOOOO. Can't just make **** easy on me. Crawford went and put his glove hand up his arse for the evening.
No doubt. It reminds me of the Tebow season for the Broncos, way too up and down for my liking.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #2164
canadianbroncosfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
Hawks one away! Kane coming up big in big games, as usual.
At what cost? Man it's ****ty to see Toews be out, and it showed with how outplayed they were in the third. I know Beregeron was out for Boston as well, and to be honest I hate them both. This has been some really good hockey, and they are two key guys.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #2165
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Bernier traded to the Leafs.

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #2166
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
For Matt Frattin, Scrivens. and 2014/2015 second round pick.

Good trade for both sides, Leafs became my second favorite team.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #2167
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

MIN interested in the Flower. We will see where this goes.

Some word that ANA is interested in trading for Letang. Suggestion that PIT doesn't really want Ryan....rather more interested in top G prospect John Gibson and Sbisa. I know Gibson is highly thought of, but I would want a bit more than this...esp since we already have a decent G prospect in Hartzell.

From Anaheim I want Etem and Gibson....Etem can be reunited with his BFF Beau Bennett.

Go Canes!

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 06-23-2013 at 12:11 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #2168
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
For Matt Frattin, Scrivens. and 2014/2015 second round pick.

Good trade for both sides, Leafs became my second favorite team.
Interesting trade for the Leafs, they finally got some good goalie play last season and then they go and rock the boat by bringing in Bernier - watch either Bernier or Reimer get run out of Toronto within 12 months.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #2169
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:

rumors are the player we really want is Barkov, which i wouldn't mind but i can't see it as passable to the fans at #1. we'd have to trade down to take him and only Nashville really wants to trade up.

i doubt they deal one of the C's off the bat, ROR can't be dealt until a year after his offer sheet was signed and he'd bring the most back in a trade.
likely Staz or ROR moves to winger if we take MacKinnon or Barkov.

Quote:

Drouin will do fine, wouldn't shock me if he doesn't end up as the best player to come out of this draft. he outplayed MacKinnon for a good chunk of the year and when Mac missed time he got better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan View Post
I want to see the Avs take Mckinnon, too. He's a center who's a fast skater with a quick shot. Hmmm - sounds like another Joe Sakic.

The Avs are not that far way. They have a good base of young talent. Just look at how they played the Blackhawks in back to back contests this year when their games still meant something (the Avs should have won in Chicago, and did end the Blackhawks long winning streak in game 2 at Pepsi Center)
we have to address D like mad in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. a lot of talent on D should fall to #32 and Mueller,Heatherington,Hagg or Theodore would be great to add to the pipeline.

Quote:
about right for him. though why the Leafs traded for him when they already had Reimer is puzzling. they got him for a great price but still.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #2170
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
rumors are the player we really want is Barkov, which i wouldn't mind but i can't see it as passable to the fans at #1. we'd have to trade down to take him and only Nashville really wants to trade up.

i doubt they deal one of the C's off the bat, ROR can't be dealt until a year after his offer sheet was signed and he'd bring the most back in a trade.

Drouin will do fine, wouldn't shock me if he doesn't end up as the best player to come out of this draft. he outplayed MacKinnon for a good chunk of the year and when Mac missed time he got better.

The forward position this year in the top 5 is so good, Mckinnon, Barkov, Nikushin, Drouin are all top prospects who would be in the talk for number 1 in most recent drafts.

Drouin's skillset seem better suited to the junior game than the NHL, very much like Tebow that way.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #2171
OrangeSe7en

Quote:

we have to address D like mad in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. a lot of talent on D should fall to #32 and Mueller,Heatherington,Hagg or Theodore would be great to add to the pipeline.

about right for him. though why the Leafs traded for him when they already had Reimer is puzzling. they got him for a great price but still.
Where did you hear this?

I really think they need to lean towards speed upgrades. Just look at Chicago. This goes for the back end too. Drouin won't likely get significantly faster than he is now. MacKinnon's skill level could increase however. I agree with you though. People compare him to St Louis but all these comparisons are erroneous for a variety of reasons. He could be better than St. Louis. He's supposed to be 5'11 now but MacKinnon is around that ht and he seems significantly taller. IDK.

I think they should look to trade the guys whose deals expire within a couple of years. There's no guarantee they'll have it turned around by then. They should flip them for players in a quality draft.

Last edited by OrangeSe7en; 06-23-2013 at 01:08 PM..
Old 06-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #2172
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
The forward position this year in the top 5 is so good, Mckinnon, Barkov, Nikushin, Drouin are all top prospects who would be in the talk for number 1 in most recent drafts.

Drouin's skillset seem better suited to the junior game than the NHL, very much like Tebow that way.
naw, Drouin will be fine. too much is read into the moves he makes in Halifax.
he's going to be a beast and some actually rate him higher than MacKinnon.

Quote:
Where did you hear this?

I really think they need to lean towards speed upgrades. Just look at Chicago. This goes for the back end too. Drouin won't likely get significantly faster than he is now. MacKinnon's skill level could increase however. I agree with you though. People compare him to St Louis but all these comparisons are erroneous for a variety of reasons. He could be better than St. Louis. He's supposed to be 5'11 now but MacKinnon is around that ht and he seems significantly taller. IDK.

I think they should look to trade the guys whose deals expire within a couple of years. There's no guarantee they'll have it turned around by then. They should flip them for players in a quality draft.
some rumblings around the web and on HF boards one of the better connected posters has heard it's indeed true.
we've visited with Barkov a confirmed 3 times and took him to dinner.
that's some Landeskog type of interest for us.
Barkov would be a perfect fit considering he will be a two way C with some nice scoring and play making punch, plus unlike MacKinnon he has played Wing in the past fairly well.

i still want Jones but according to a lot of reporters something his interview with the Avs turned them off.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #2173
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
naw, Drouin will be fine. too much is read into the moves he makes in Halifax.
he's going to be a beast and some actually rate him higher than MacKinnon.

some rumblings around the web and on HF boards one of the better connected posters has heard it's indeed true.
we've visited with Barkov a confirmed 3 times and took him to dinner.
that's some Landeskog type of interest for us.
Barkov would be a perfect fit considering he will be a two way C with some nice scoring and play making punch, plus unlike MacKinnon he has played Wing in the past fairly well.

i still want Jones but according to a lot of reporters something his interview with the Avs turned them off.
Wow, that would be disappointing, if it's Barkov. "Perfect fit" is kind of a flawed concept given that this was a bad team. Foregoing higher end talent because someone "fits in better" with a crappy team is kind of hard to justify. It's like having a basketball team of midgets and picking another midget because he fits in best with the other midgets while you could have had a 6'7" guy who can score 30 pts per game. The example is a little extreme but it addresses why it's flawed.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #2174
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Interesting trade for the Leafs, they finally got some good goalie play last season and then they go and rock the boat by bringing in Bernier - watch either Bernier or Reimer get run out of Toronto within 12 months.
Nothing wrong with having two young goalies, I think Bernier gets the nod because he is the better pedigree. Reimer struggles with rebound control and he didn't play well in the game 7 fiasco vs the Bruins.

Maple Leafs also retain 500k of salary, that will give the Kings some cap relief and the possibility increases of retaining Scuderi. Also Wilie Mitchell is making some progress with his knee, so if he comes back and Scuderi signs....we'll be ****ing stacked.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #2175
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Nothing wrong with having two young goalies, I think Bernier gets the nod because he is the better pedigree. Reimer struggles with rebound control and he didn't play well in the game 7 fiasco vs the Bruins.

Maple Leafs also retain 500k of salary, that will give the Kings some cap relief and the possibility increases of retaining Scuderi. Also Wilie Mitchell is making some progress with his knee, so if he comes back and Scuderi signs....we'll be ****ing stacked.
The problem with 2 young goalies is that eventually you need to give them contracts and if you haven't worked out who is the good one, you will either lose both or give away the wrong one *cough*Montreal*cough*.

Reimer is an RFA next year and I believe Bernier is on his last RFA eligibility, the Leafs will have to make a choice unless it turns out one of them suck.