The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #951
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinBronco View Post
I wouldn't say "sucks." I guess for me I'm skeptical of Fleury and the D for different reasons.

Fleury, other than 2009, has had major issues in the playoffs. You could also say he got hot in 2009 in the ECF and SCF. He was ok but not great against Philly or the Caps.

The defense, IMO, does not have a Hal Gill and Rob Scuderi. Say what you will, but shutdown d-men are the single most critical aspect of a Cup winning team in my eyes. It used to be goalies but in today's NHL it's shutdown d-men and being strong at center (scoring and shutdown)

Look at the most recent winners

2009 Pens - Scuderi, Gill
2010 Hawks - Seabrook, Keith
2011 Bruins - Chara and **** you can say all of them except Kaberle lol
2012 Kings - Scuderi, Doughty and a unit very similar to the Bruins 2011 D-Unit

You need shutdown defensemen and I don't think the Pens have that. Orpik is not what he used to be; Murray also seems to not be what he was either.

Now, of course, I don't put it past Shero to acquire a D-man. I am sure he is still looking for his scuderi or gill. If you get someone in that mold, the rest of the league is ****ed and only the Hawks can hang IMO.

Let's face it, even with Iginla and Morrow, they aren't what they used to be. You are getting guys who are good players but not in their prime. However, if you get the defensive shutdown guy and Fleury doesn't **** the bed, it's all ****ing over for the rest of the league IMO.

Edit: Just to expand a little bit. You have d-men that are serviceable in the regular season, but guys like Depres and Martin will get exposed come playoff time. Someone like Engelland has to show he can puck handle under duress. It's a different game...
These are decent points...I'm not saying crown us or whatever...I'm well aware that the playoffs are a different animal but I disagree with some stuff you said. Murray is supposed to be the Gill.weve had alot of success taking guys who were awful elsewhere and targeting them for a very specific role in our system and they execute it. Gill himself is an example of this when we got him ...Niskanen is the ultimate example. Dude was a throw in in the Neal trade and he has bee a consistent performer since. Also Eaton is another example. This is his second tour here and he was awful with NYI in the interim. I know it's only one game and I want to see more but Murray was great tonight. Martin has been very good all year after being terrible last year. He got stronger in the offseason and also switched sides.

I agree the postseason may be too much for Despres....he has issues getting it out of the zone in the face of a good forecheck. Overall...I'm happy with the depth on D.

On offense....unless someone pulls a Halak and stands on their head the whole series I think we are going to to be extremely tough.....even against elite Ds.

We will see. Nothing is guaranteed....we will have to earn it. Our best team ever was 93 and we lost in the second round. If Philly gets in..we're going to have a problem on our hands....so I'm not taking anything for granted. But I am cautiously optimistic.......and very excited.

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 03-28-2013 at 11:33 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:47 AM   #952
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
I wouldn't say "sucks." I guess for me I'm skeptical of Fleury and the D for different reasons.

Fleury, other than 2009, has had major issues in the playoffs. You could also say he got hot in 2009 in the ECF and SCF. He was ok but not great against Philly or the Caps.

The defense, IMO, does not have a Hal Gill and Rob Scuderi. Say what you will, but shutdown d-men are the single most critical aspect of a Cup winning team in my eyes. It used to be goalies but in today's NHL it's shutdown d-men and being strong at center (scoring and shutdown)

Look at the most recent winners

2009 Pens - Scuderi, Gill
2010 Hawks - Seabrook, Keith
2011 Bruins - Chara and **** you can say all of them except Kaberle lol
2012 Kings - Scuderi, Doughty and a unit very similar to the Bruins 2011 D-Unit

You need shutdown defensemen and I don't think the Pens have that. Orpik is not what he used to be; Murray also seems to not be what he was either.

Now, of course, I don't put it past Shero to acquire a D-man. I am sure he is still looking for his scuderi or gill. If you get someone in that mold, the rest of the league is ****ed and only the Hawks can hang IMO.

Let's face it, even with Iginla and Morrow, they aren't what they used to be. You are getting guys who are good players but not in their prime. However, if you get the defensive shutdown guy and Fleury doesn't **** the bed, it's all ****ing over for the rest of the league IMO.

Edit: Just to expand a little bit. You have d-men that are serviceable in the regular season, but guys like Depres and Martin will get exposed come playoff time. Someone like Engelland has to show he can puck handle under duress. It's a different game...
Along with great play from the goalie position. Each goalie from each of those cup winning teams played outstanding especially Quick.
maher_tyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #953
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
Along with great play from the goalie position. Each goalie from each of those cup winning teams played outstanding especially Quick.
Niemi hardly played outstanding for Chicago, he was just less brutal then Iron Mike Leighton.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #954
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
Niemi hardly played outstanding for Chicago, he was just less brutal then Iron Mike Leighton.
exactly, goalie position isn't what it used to be and that's a byproduct of today's game. You cannot clutch, grab and wrestle guys down while they are shooting making it easier for Hasek, Roy, Brodeur, etc. to make a save.

It's not to say that guys like Lundqvist, Quick and Miller aren't better than most of the league's goaltenders, just that they don't affect a game as much as in the "old" NHL.

The bigger factor in Cup winning teams these days is stud d-men and strength down the middle.

You cannot argue with the past 4 winners - Pens, Hawks, Bruins, LA.

The strength of all those teams was elite D and elite center play (shutdown and scoring).

The pens had the "weakest" D of the bunch, but they had 2 great shutdown guys in Scuderi and Gill. The Bruins and Kings both had a stable of 6 tremendous guys. Well Kaberle no, but he didn't really have any impact, rarely played from what I remember.
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:02 AM   #955
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
exactly, goalie position isn't what it used to be and that's a byproduct of today's game. You cannot clutch, grab and wrestle guys down while they are shooting making it easier for Hasek, Roy, Brodeur, etc. to make a save.

It's not to say that guys like Lundqvist, Quick and Miller aren't better than most of the league's goaltenders, just that they don't affect a game as much as in the "old" NHL.

The bigger factor in Cup winning teams these days is stud d-men and strength down the middle.

The strength of all those teams was elite D and elite center play (shutdown and scoring).

The pens had the "weakest" D of the bunch, but they had 2 great shutdown guys in Scuderi and Gill. The Bruins and Kings both had a stable of 6 tremendous guys. Well Kaberle no, but he didn't really have any impact, rarely played from what I remember.
Teams that win have a good team all around with great goaltending. The last two Con Smythe winners...Thomas and Quick.
maher_tyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #956
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:

the last few stanley cup champs have have goalies damn near standing on their heads when they won the title. you either have a insanely hot goalie or a great one. they win you games in the playoffs.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #957
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Iginla playing today and Sid gets hurt..lovely.

Come on Sid get back out there. Get stitched up and get back out there.

Paul Martin out 6 weeks.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #958
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Sid the Kid took a ****ing puck to the mouth. ouch. Nanners nanners god damners. We ain't playing Philadelphia but that team sucks weiner.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #959
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Vokun is playing lights out today. Wow. Just a boss.

PENS SCORE. 1-0. BOOM BABY.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #960
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Iginla playing today and Sid gets hurt..lovely.

Come on Sid get back out there. Get stitched up and get back out there.

Paul Martin out 6 weeks.
I heard the refs gave the puck a penalty.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #961
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
I heard the refs gave the puck a penalty.
All I know is that I'm going to be furious if Stamkos steals the Art Ross due to stupid bull**** injuries. This isn't going to happen again. Hopefully Sid is ready by Tuesday even with the oral surgery.

This is ****ing bull****. Burn the damn blue jerseys already.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #962
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Old 03-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #963
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Stupid Caps, coming back and winning a game.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #964
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
I feel the same way, I was at great wolf today and found out that much to my surprise the flyers had beaten the bruins, its not helping our chances for seth jones.

If we arent going to win the lottery I hope they at least sneak into the playoffs to beat out pissburg.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #965
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
I feel the same way, I was at great wolf today and found out that much to my surprise the flyers had beaten the bruins, its not helping our chances for seth jones.

If we arent going to win the lottery I hope they at least sneak into the playoffs to beat out pissburg.
keep your damn hands off Jones! he belongs to the Avs!
Old 03-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #966
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Oliver Lauridsen got his NHL debut for the Flyers last night, that makes 7 Danes who have played in the NHL this year.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:27 AM   #967
BroncosSR
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Oliver Lauridsen got his NHL debut for the Flyers last night, that makes 7 Danes who have played in the NHL this year.
I thought he looked pretty good for his first game. He's a big, strong, tough player with a heavy shot. He seems decently quick as well. With experience, he could end up being a decent defenseman.
BroncosSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #968
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncosSR View Post
I thought he looked pretty good for his first game. He's a big, strong, tough player with a heavy shot. He seems decently quick as well. With experience, he could end up being a decent defenseman.
I hope he makes it, he has a good make up for being a 2nd or 3rd pairing guy who is primarily a stay at home type defender with size, strength and decent feet. Denmark hasn't really had any big stay at home guys on defence, it has mostly been smaller 2-way defensemen which is fine when you are a better team than the opponent, but when you play better teams you really need defensive guys first.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #969
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
lol

Do just enough to stay in that 8-11 range. I hate that they are hurting their top pick chances. It's a 48 game season, your team is poorly built with a lot of issues, just tank.

It would be typical caps to end up in 9th or they will get #8 and get up 3-1 on pittsburgh only to choke away games 5 and 6 and get blown out in game 7

edit: the one team that should be aiming for the 8 spot is the Flyers. They are the pens kryptonite. I just don't think they are good enough either to make the top 8

Last edited by RedskinBronco; 03-31-2013 at 11:24 AM..
Old 03-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #970
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
All I know is that I'm going to be furious if Stamkos steals the Art Ross due to stupid bull**** injuries. This isn't going to happen again. Hopefully Sid is ready by Tuesday even with the oral surgery.

This is ****ing bull****. Burn the damn blue jerseys already.
You should be used to this by now though. Crosby has always been injury prone.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #971
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
the last few stanley cup champs have have goalies damn near standing on their heads when they won the title. you either have a insanely hot goalie or a great one. they win you games in the playoffs.
No I mean I agree your goalie has to be playing at a great level, I just think recently you can win a Cup by having insanely good shutdown D and being deep at center.

I guess what I am trying to say is someone with an Anti Niemi would never have won a Cup back in the day. He didn't hurt the hawks, but he wasn't an elite guy; he just played well enough.

I just think without the clutching and grabbing, it's much tougher on the goalies to dominate and it's more about your shutdown D-men and shutdown center (for stopping the opposition)
Old 03-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #972
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
No I mean I agree your goalie has to be playing at a great level, I just think recently you can win a Cup by having insanely good shutdown D and being deep at center.

I guess what I am trying to say is someone with an Anti Niemi would never have won a Cup back in the day. He didn't hurt the hawks, but he wasn't an elite guy; he just played well enough.

I just think without the clutching and grabbing, it's much tougher on the goalies to dominate and it's more about your shutdown D-men and shutdown center (for stopping the opposition)
yes but my point was, even if they're not elite guys they play like it in stretches to help their team to the cup.

Niemi got overpaid like a mother after winning that cup because he played really well. or at least appeared to.

one thing i do love however... deep fried Wings
getting rolled by the Hawks.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #973
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
You should be used to this by now though. Crosby has always been injury prone.
Injury prone? What does that have to do with Orpik shooting a puck into his face? That's a freak injury.

I'm fuming right now.....he has a broken jaw which is like 4 weeks which means he will get robbed of the Art Ross again even though he deserved it and earned it. This is ****ing bull****. Im unwilling to accept it. Even if we win the Cup i wont be completely happy. This mars everything for me.

This is ****ing bull****. Stamkos doesnt deserve ****. This is ****ing garbage. **** this ****...**** it. He needs to be in the lineup on Tuesday....or Thursday at worst. Im going to explode if that ****ing thief steals from us again. I still remember when he got a bull**** EN against FLA the last game of the season to tie for the RR. Fucjing piece of ****.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #974
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Injury prone? What does that have to do with Orpik shooting a puck into his face? That's a freak injury.

I'm fuming right now.....he has a broken jaw which is like 4 weeks which means he will get robbed of the Art Ross again even though he deserved it and earned it. This is ****ing bull****. Im unwilling to accept it. Even if we win the Cup i wont be completely happy. This mars everything for me.

This is ****ing bull****. Stamkos doesnt deserve ****. This is ****ing garbage. **** this ****...**** it. He needs to be in the lineup on Tuesday....or Thursday at worst. Im going to explode if that ****ing thief steals from us again. I still remember when he got a bull**** EN against FLA the last game of the season to tie for the RR. Fucjing piece of ****.
It is a freak injury for sure. Not to blame crosby at all.

Just saying that for whatever reason, injury follows the guy. Hence, the injury prone label.

It is what it is. There have been MANY athletes over the years with the same issue.

I understand your frustration, but individual goals shouldn't matter. Isn't that what the media always told us when Ovechkin was outscoring Crosby. Remember back then it was, "oh well crosby is all about his team"

Much ado about nothing. Just have him ready for the playoffs really.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #975
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

WOW, socals mad now, I cant wait until he finds out that he also has a concussion.