The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #901
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
wait til Anderson wants to get paid again. that'll end quickly.
Ok maybe I am not seeing something others are seeing.

Coming off a really bad year the year before last, I would say yes that Anderson stole a lot of games and gave them confidence. I did feel as the year went on they became a pretty solid team and they should have beat the rangers last year.

I don't know I mean it could be that Anderson is the savior but I mean we are talking about a journeyman here. I also believe that in today's NHL, goalies are way more expendable. Look at Ryan Miller, Lundqvist, etc.

When your team isn't that good, it's hard to steal games when it's not the clutch and grab era anymore.

We will find out. I just don't think the sens were too much worse off with Bishop and the younger up and coming kid.

I mean don't get me wrong, they just try to accumulate points without Karlsson, Spezza and Michalek but with them they just didn't seem like a fluke team to me.

Again, maybe I am missing something lol
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #902
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinBronco View Post
I don't know how you can call that team a fluke when they are at full strength. Have you seen them play when they have a full squad?

Top 4 team in the EC. I have no dog in this fight, really. Not sure if you just hate that organization.
When a team is not in the top 10 in their own conference in goal scoring and their goal tenders all have career years that is a team that is badly overperforming. Last season the Rangers and Blues were in the same spot, couldn't score goals but were riding hot goalies and look at them now? The year before that Washington and Nashville, same story.

Teams who can't score and have goalies who have career years are never good bets to prove anything long term, they will return to average sooner rather than later.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #903
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
When a team is not in the top 10 in their own conference in goal scoring and their goal tenders all have career years that is a team that is badly overperforming. Last season the Rangers and Blues were in the same spot, couldn't score goals but were riding hot goalies and look at them now? The year before that Washington and Nashville, same story.

Teams who can't score and have goalies who have career years are never good bets to prove anything long term, they will return to average sooner rather than later.
I think there is a disconnect here.

I am talking about them at full strength. Before Karlsson and Spezza went down weren't they like top 5 in scoring? I thought early on this year they were scoring at a pretty good clip.

Also, the whole riding hot goalies, as I mentioned before, is not what it used to be. You can make the case for NYR (maybe).

The rangers were never as good as it seemed. They were a grind it out team with Lundqvist playing well. I never thought of them as elite, even last year.

Nashville has been the same team for years. Never thought of them as elite either.

The caps were an outlier case because they played Dale Hunter hockey. Look at them this year, back to #1 PP and obviously with Oates hockey, they score a lot more.

Again, you are from London so I don't know if you just hate the Sens (leafs fan?). It's fine if you do.

I just don't see them as a fluke team, that's all. To me, they are borderline 7-11 type team in the conference without all their injured guys. When they had those guys they were on pace as a top 4 team and that's what I see them with all their guys back. A 4/5 type team.

The class of east is Bruins and Pens of course.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #904
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Ok maybe I am not seeing something others are seeing.

Coming off a really bad year the year before last, I would say yes that Anderson stole a lot of games and gave them confidence. I did feel as the year went on they became a pretty solid team and they should have beat the rangers last year.

I don't know I mean it could be that Anderson is the savior but I mean we are talking about a journeyman here. I also believe that in today's NHL, goalies are way more expendable. Look at Ryan Miller, Lundqvist, etc.

When your team isn't that good, it's hard to steal games when it's not the clutch and grab era anymore.

We will find out. I just don't think the sens were too much worse off with Bishop and the younger up and coming kid.

I mean don't get me wrong, they just try to accumulate points without Karlsson, Spezza and Michalek but with them they just didn't seem like a fluke team to me.

Again, maybe I am missing something lol
that was more of a comment directed towards the future.
i'm still a little miffed at Anderson for acting like a cry baby little b**** and quitting on the Avs when he didn't get the contract he demanded.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:31 AM   #905
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
i'm still a little miffed at Anderson for acting like a cry baby little b**** and quitting on the Avs when he didn't get the contract he demanded.
After the way the Avs look and the way they handled ROR it's hard to blame Anderson.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:21 AM   #906
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftermath View Post
The only mistakes Homer has made:

Bryzgalov
Not having a capable backup goalie

You could say not having a plan B if Weber/Suter failed but we did get Schenn who has been good. You could also say trading JVR but JVR wouldn't have been successful here and needed a change of scenery. It's hard to trade a goal scoring winger for a defensive dman and not say we got fleeced but I think that trade was very fair. .
Im ok with the JVR trade, he was just a constant reminder of the year we were so bad we lost the draft lottery.

My problem has been with the contracts given out, what do we have, 8 or 9 NTC or NMC in contracts, it started with Richie and Carter. How much would we love to ship Briere out and get a pick or prospect, but we cant.

I think Schenn was supposed to get us a solid 3-4 pair, but after weber didnt happen he got bumped to 1-2, Timmo hit the wall and has been a step behind everything, last nights 2nd penalty just another example, so what do we do, we extend him, and not even at reduced rate, a full 6 mil.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:24 AM   #907
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
After the way the Avs look and the way they handled ROR it's hard to blame Anderson.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #908
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
no, ROR was a different scenario. the only reason he got paid like he did was Calgary trying to get him on the cheap and their GM got pissed off when they wouldn't deal him for scraps and tried to screw us.
much like Elway and Doom the franchise was in the right.
hell even PK Subban signed quicker than ROR and they have the same agency(whom the Avs don't like doing business with and actually intentionally ignored when LaCroix was GM)
the only player who had contract issues with the Avs this season was ROR.
everyone else signed quickly and for cheaper than expected.

Anderson wanted too much money, too many years and to be paid like a franchise goalie when he didn't earn that type of coin.
the Avs told him no on the number of years and he pouted.

Last edited by Lestat; 03-25-2013 at 09:18 AM..
Old 03-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #909
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
I think there is a disconnect here.

I am talking about them at full strength. Before Karlsson and Spezza went down weren't they like top 5 in scoring? I thought early on this year they were scoring at a pretty good clip.

Also, the whole riding hot goalies, as I mentioned before, is not what it used to be. You can make the case for NYR (maybe).

The rangers were never as good as it seemed. They were a grind it out team with Lundqvist playing well. I never thought of them as elite, even last year.

Nashville has been the same team for years. Never thought of them as elite either.

The caps were an outlier case because they played Dale Hunter hockey. Look at them this year, back to #1 PP and obviously with Oates hockey, they score a lot more.

Again, you are from London so I don't know if you just hate the Sens (leafs fan?). It's fine if you do.

I just don't see them as a fluke team, that's all. To me, they are borderline 7-11 type team in the conference without all their injured guys. When they had those guys they were on pace as a top 4 team and that's what I see them with all their guys back. A 4/5 type team.

The class of east is Bruins and Pens of course.
I am actually a Red Wing fan so I hate the Leafs, I am also a Danish expat and the Sens are one of 5 teams with Danes currently on the roster so I quite like the Sens.

I don't think there was a ever a significant period of this season when they scored a ton of goals, even at the beginning of the season they weren't running up scores.

Looking at the roster and the scoring this year, I don't see the staying power. Gonchar and Alfredson are at the top of the list and neither player can be relied on to keep scoring at that pace. Turris has found a nice home in Ottawa and he should be good for a while, obviously Karlsson is missed he scores a ton of points as does Spezza, but I just don't see them being elite.

My really big problem is that 94% save rate, that is through the roof and by some margin the best in the league. If we bump that down to league average (around 91) that is 30 more goals, that is almost 1 goal per game. They have won 8 games by 1 goal and they have 6 overtime losses, that as many as 14 games that they could lose 1 point in by giving up goals at the league average rather than the crazy low rate they are doing now and if you look at Andersons history, there is no reason to believe he can keep up his save percentage over a full season.

When he has started at least 20 games his save rates have been: 0.886, 0.924, 0.917, 0.897, 0.914 with an average of around 0.910. When he starts less than 20 he is 0.856 (rookie year), 0.905, 0.931, 0.935, 0.939, 0.952. You see the problem, he is much better as a backup starting less than 20 games than he is as a starter.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #910
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

whoa, the Pens aren't dicking around. traded two 2nd round picks(one conditional on Murray re-signing with the Pens) for Douglas Murray.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #911
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
whoa, the Pens aren't dicking around. traded two 2nd round picks(one conditional on Murray re-signing with the Pens) for Douglas Murray.
Even if they sign him, they've traded away 2 high picks and 1 prospect for depth without any real impact.....
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #912
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

More stupidity by the FO.

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #913
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Pens are all-in, making moves even while winning a bunch of games.

Very risky moves.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #914
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Re-sign or making the Conference Finals
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #915
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Haven't seen too much of Murray this year but grumblings out of SJ is that Murray has not been the guy of years past.

Now, I'm sure putting on that pens jersey will allow him to clutch and grab a little more; much like Hal Gill was allowed more leeway in 2009.

Gill was always called on obstruction penalties, until he got traded to the pens...then he was allowed to interfere as much as he wanted.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #916
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

They are trying to recreate Gill and Guerin from 09. Its unnecessary and they aren't system fits anyway. Dumb

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #917
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419105

HURRICANES INK F SEMIN TO FIVE-YEAR, $35M CONTRACT EXTENSION

Glad we just had a lockout to get contracts under control
Old 03-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #918
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419105

HURRICANES INK F SEMIN TO FIVE-YEAR, $35M CONTRACT EXTENSION

Glad we just had a lockout to get contracts under control
Seriously, it's ridiculous.

I am so sick of these owners. Cry poor and then go out and hand these insane contracts.

Stop ****ing have lockouts if you are going to hand out the same insane contracts, over and over and over...
Old 03-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #919
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Kings beat the Hawks in Chicago. 5-4.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #920
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
They are trying to recreate Gill and Guerin from 09. Its unnecessary and they aren't system fits anyway. Dumb
First place problems

Be glad you don't have the Avs pathetic owners and coaches!
Old 03-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #921
Aftermath
Creep

Broncos | Flyers | Tigers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
Im ok with the JVR trade, he was just a constant reminder of the year we were so bad we lost the draft lottery.

My problem has been with the contracts given out, what do we have, 8 or 9 NTC or NMC in contracts, it started with Richie and Carter. How much would we love to ship Briere out and get a pick or prospect, but we cant.

I think Schenn was supposed to get us a solid 3-4 pair, but after weber didnt happen he got bumped to 1-2, Timmo hit the wall and has been a step behind everything, last nights 2nd penalty just another example, so what do we do, we extend him, and not even at reduced rate, a full 6 mil.
I agree. Although it does seem like a bunch of teams have quite a few NTCs. But Briere might be a candidate for a buyout. If he won't waive then I really hope they buy him out. I have no idea what's going on with this concussion he got in practice supposedly. I do know that I want him gone.
Aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #922
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
First place problems

Be glad you don't have the Avs pathetic owners and coaches!
Sacco cannot have a job next year dammit! it's not possible!
Old 03-26-2013, 04:11 AM   #923
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftermath View Post
I agree. Although it does seem like a bunch of teams have quite a few NTCs. But Briere might be a candidate for a buyout. If he won't waive then I really hope they buy him out. I have no idea what's going on with this concussion he got in practice supposedly. I do know that I want him gone.
I forgot about the pronger fiasco, which hand cuffs us every off season becasue you can only excede the cap by 10% and he cant go on LTIR until the season starts.

Im softening on Briere, Id like him traded, but not sure i buy him out, Id like to get somethign for him, or keep him around for next year when we are back in things.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #924
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Transcripts from the contract extension talks have been released.

Kimmo: "Hey Homer, I think I have enough in the tank for one more year. I think I'd sign for two mill, so you can make improvements all over the ice."
Homer: "Kimmo, I know you've done a lot for this franchise, but the highest I can go is nine million for three years."
Kimmo: "I think I've only got a year left in the tank, and besides wouldn't that handcuff you with a longterm over 35 contract."
Homer: "Fine, 10 mill, one year."
Kimmo: "I don't need that much money, I just want to keep contributing. If you want to give me 3 or 4 mill, that's fine."
Homer: "Going for eight, I can't go any higher."
Kimmo: "Who are you negotiating with? Why won't you give me four mill and just call it a day?"
Homer: "Listen, we're getting this done today."
(Homer locks doors.)
Kimmo: "I'm just saying I think signing me for that much is an illogical decision."
Homer: "I can wait."
(days pass)
Kimmo: "Fine, I'll settle for six, splint the difference."
Homer: "DEAL! Another win for The Homer!"
Old 03-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #925
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Lmao

Go Canes!