The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #426
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Tim Thomas to the islanders.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #427
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Tim Thomas to the islanders.
I dont know why the flyers havent done this with pronger yet, this is strickly a move to get to the cap floor, its actually a pretty smart move becasue they get the 5 mil cap hit for free, and the second is only conditional on him playing. Its win win for everybody.

but the league which looks even more like a joke now
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #428
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
I dont know why the flyers havent done this with pronger yet, this is strickly a move to get to the cap floor, its actually a pretty smart move becasue they get the 5 mil cap hit for free, and the second is only conditional on him playing. Its win win for everybody.

but the league which looks even more like a joke now
Because with Pronger you are stuck with like 8 years of his contract, no team wants to be handcuffed for that long. With Tim Thomas you have the added bonus that he might come back next year and be a good player.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #429
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

JT Millers had 2 strong games, I wonder if they'll keep him up and burn a year on his contract.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #430
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Looks like we played well tonight gonna watch the tape when I get home. Good to have Sid and Geno bothclicking.

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #431
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Don't know why any team gives long-term deals to anyone 35+, it can just handcuff you if something goes wrong.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #432
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

The backups doing a good job tonight for the Red Wings against the Blues, Mrazek pitching a 1 hitter so far and 3 goals from the 3rd and 4th lines with goals from Cleary, Emmerton and Kindl.

So far this season my observations on the Red Wing blue line is that Quincey is the worst back on the roster, White is not nearly as good as he was when he played with Lidstrom (I feel like that has been the case with everyone Lidstrom has played with), Kronwall is really stepping up and leading the group. Johnny Ericson is playing a basic game but making very few mistakes. Brendan Smith and Jakub Kindl have both looked like they belong in the NHL.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #433
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Looks like we played well tonight gonna watch the tape when I get home. Good to have Sid and Geno bothclicking.
Look at the goals. Anyone on this board should have stopped 3 of them.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:26 AM   #434
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Don't know why any team gives long-term deals to anyone 35+, it can just handcuff you if something goes wrong.
Thomas was a good risk. It was only a 4 year deal, so really this year was the only "problem year" in terms of the cap and it really wasn't a big problem. It wouldn't have been a problem at all if he didn't decide to take the year off.

That and he really didn't have that much mileage on him for a 35 year old.

The guy's a headcase, but the B's simply don't win that Cup without him, so I'm not going to complain or badmouth him for anything now.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:28 AM   #435
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
Because with Pronger you are stuck with like 8 years of his contract, no team wants to be handcuffed for that long. With Tim Thomas you have the added bonus that he might come back next year and be a good player.
Thomas will be a FA in a few months. If he comes back next year, it won't be for the Isles.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:29 AM   #436
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
I dont know why the flyers havent done this with pronger yet, this is strickly a move to get to the cap floor, its actually a pretty smart move becasue they get the 5 mil cap hit for free, and the second is only conditional on him playing.
The B's get a 2nd regardless.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:50 AM   #437
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Nobody will talk seriously to Anaheim about goalies. Hiller is a vertigo attack away from missing an entire season, nobody looking for a hot goalie is going to take that chance - with a short season you can just sit back and wait for Fasth to become a UFA after the season. Deslauriers is utterly worthless, he can't even get on the ice in the AHL. Gibson is good but he is no Patterson or Binnington.
You just mad bro.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #438
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Thomas will be a FA in a few months. If he comes back next year, it won't be for the Isles.
Since he is suspended for not complying with his contract the Islanders have the option of not letting this season count towards him becoming a free agent, meaning he will be back for them next year at the same salary. Considering how they browbeat Nabokov, they wouldn't be shy about forcing Thomas into taking a year in Brooklyn.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #439
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Thomas was a good risk. It was only a 4 year deal, so really this year was the only "problem year" in terms of the cap and it really wasn't a big problem. It wouldn't have been a problem at all if he didn't decide to take the year off.

That and he really didn't have that much mileage on him for a 35 year old.

The guy's a headcase, but the B's simply don't win that Cup without him, so I'm not going to complain or badmouth him for anything now.
I think he was referring to the Pronger deal. The Thomas contract was an excellent piece of work by Chiarelli, the right length and a good cap number. If some team can get the fire going in Thomas again I see no reason why he couldn't play 3 more years at a very high level, as you say he has low mileage, he doesn't rely on reactions and athletic ability as much as some and he hasn't had any serious recurring injuries to groin or back which tend to be where goalies wear down.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #440
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Since he is suspended for not complying with his contract the Islanders have the option of not letting this season count towards him becoming a free agent, meaning he will be back for them next year at the same salary. Considering how they browbeat Nabokov, they wouldn't be shy about forcing Thomas into taking a year in Brooklyn.
I'm anticipating them NOT doing this. The only reason they even did this trade was for cap compliance this year once they start their annual firesale in a few weeks. I really don't think they anticipate him playing at all or even care if he does.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #441
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
I'm anticipating them NOT doing this. The only reason they even did this trade was for cap compliance this year once they start their annual firesale in a few weeks. I really don't think they anticipate him playing at all or even care if he does.
My guess is they move Streit, Boyes and possibly Reasoner at the deadline. Even with a move to Brooklyn they are not going to be able to attract talent and with Nabokov set to leave after the season Thomas could be their only hope at keeping the team anywhere near salary floor compliance next season.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #442
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
"The draft pick the Bruins acquired is conditional on Thomas reporting to the Islanders or to any other team in the event the Islanders should trade his rights elsewhere."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415479
Old 02-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #443
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

The LA Kings have acquired defenseman Keaton Ellerby (10th overall pick in 2007) from Florida in exchange for a fifth-round selection in the 2013 NHL Draft
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #444
Aftermath
Creep

Broncos | Flyers | Tigers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

Quote:
Actually they get nothing but cap room. The 2nd was conditional on him playing a game which he will not. Nice try though.
Aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #445
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftermath View Post
Actually they get nothing but cap room. The 2nd was conditional on him playing a game which he will not. Nice try though.
it was a good deal to get cap room, it would be flat out robbery if they got any sort of pick too out of the deal, infact im surprised the isles didnt want a 7th just to take the salary off the books. Nobody ever said snow was smart tho.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #446
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
it was a good deal to get cap room, it would be flat out robbery if they got any sort of pick too out of the deal, infact im surprised the isles didnt want a 7th just to take the salary off the books. Nobody ever said snow was smart tho.
Snow is below the cap floor, this way he gets to put about 4.5 million on his cap without paying a dime to anyone - that is pretty savvy.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:39 AM   #447
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Snow is below the cap floor, this way he gets to put about 4.5 million on his cap without paying a dime to anyone - that is pretty savvy.
my point was that i would think boston was having a tougher time unloading the cap hit than snow should have had spending the money, he should have gotten even future considerations out of the deal just to take the cap hit and free up cash for the Bruins.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:50 AM   #448
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
"The draft pick the Bruins acquired is conditional on Thomas reporting to the Islanders or to any other team in the event the Islanders should trade his rights elsewhere."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftermath View Post
Interesting. According to local reports when the trade broke, the pick wasn't the conditional part. It was the year.

2014 2nd if he plays.
2015 if he doesn't.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #449
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
my point was that i would think boston was having a tougher time unloading the cap hit than snow should have had spending the money, he should have gotten even future considerations out of the deal just to take the cap hit and free up cash for the Bruins.
That will be true next year. This year 5 teams are under the floor and will need to add some players to be compliant, Snow gets to do that without spending a dollar.

Next year when the cap drops by 6 million I would expect a similar trade would cost the Bruins a mid range prospect and a 5th round pick or something similar. We saw that when the last CBA was signed how bad contracts got moved by giving up marginal value.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #450
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Geno needs to control his emotions better. Too many penalties for the whole club today. Try to make up for it tomorrow. Good win for you Baba Booey

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote