The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #2526
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
All sides are going to lose in this one. Kovy is an idiot.

I read somewhere that the Devils will have to pay a 250k fine every year until 2025. As for Kovy, the IHF will really hammer the KHL if he plays there and he certainly won't be eligible to play in the Olympics.
IHF and the KHL won't do dick....He quit to go play home in Russia (at least that is the rumor).
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #2527
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
IHF and the KHL won't do dick....He quit to go play home in Russia (at least that is the rumor).
IHF will enforce the transfer agreement, if the Devils do not grant Kovy permission to play in the KHL. Devils still retain his rights. If he ignores the Devils and plays in the KHL, then he won't play in the Olympics and the KHL vs NHL cold war is reignited.

Like I said, Kovy is an idiot.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #2528
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
IHF will enforce the transfer agreement, if the Devils do not grant Kovy permission to play in the KHL. Devils still retain his rights. If he ignores the Devils and plays in the KHL, then he won't play in the Olympics and the KHL vs NHL cold war is reignited.

I find it humorous that some Devil's fans think that Bettman will remove the 1st ban because Lou is a class act.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #2529
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:

So? he will play in Russia and there is dick the IIHF can do about it. They can prevent him from playing in the world cup but that is about it. The olympics is not an IIHF tournament and he will be eligible to play in that anyway since the IOC and Russian hockey federation are very unlikely to ban him, especially for a tournament in Russia.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #2530
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
didn't even give them the chance to buy him out and avoid the long term cap hit.

My devil friends are losing their **** right now.....
That is what they get for doing such a long deal - with the new CBA all those long deals are at serious risk of screwing the teams.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #2531
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:

I read somewhere that the Devils will have to pay a 250k fine every year until 2025. As for Kovy, the IHF will really hammer the KHL if he plays there and he certainly won't be eligible to play in the Olympics.
It's called cap recapture and because of the way the contract was written the devils paid 6 mil per season but due to length of contract his cap hit was 5.75 so the saved 250,000 which they are now penalized over the length of the deal. Not sure they actually have to pay it. I think they just lose the cap space.

It is being applied to contracts that were written before the current cba which I think is crazy. It also applies to players that get traded not just those that retire.

Can't wait for his buddy malkin to join him in the khl.
chadta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #2532
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadta View Post
It's called cap recapture and because of the way the contract was written the devils paid 6 mil per season but due to length of contract his cap hit was 5.75 so the saved 250,000 which they are now penalized over the length of the deal. Not sure they actually have to pay it. I think they just lose the cap space.

It is being applied to contracts that were written before the current cba which I think is crazy. It also applies to players that get traded not just those that retire.

Can't wait for his buddy malkin to join him in the khl.
They had to do something to penalize those old cap circumventing contracts, they were giving an unlevel playing field to teams who had made them.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #2533
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

The funny thing is, I bet this wouldn't have happened had the NHL not locked out. If they didn't lock out the players Kovalchuk doesn't go play in the KHL and he won't begin thinking about retiring from the NHL to go play in Russia.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #2534
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
They had to do something to penalize those old cap circumventing contracts, they were giving an unlevel playing field to teams who had made them.
They were legal under the rules at the times they were signed, or maybe this one wasnt the devils were already penalized for cap circumvention tho, they lost a 1st round pick because of it, and they differed that until this year, how funny is it going to be when they pick first overall but dont get the pick
Old 07-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #2535
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
They were legal under the rules at the times they were signed, or maybe this one wasnt the devils were already penalized for cap circumvention tho, they lost a 1st round pick because of it, and they differed that until this year, how funny is it going to be when they pick first overall but dont get the pick
A great year to be 2nd best. It make a really fun draft lottery.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #2536
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Old 07-12-2013, 03:22 AM   #2537
chadta
Atomic Meatball Keeper

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Mc Rib

Quote:
Old 07-12-2013, 05:29 AM   #2538
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Well this sucks.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:32 AM   #2539
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
As he signs a contract with his KHL team that pays him $10+ mil a year.......some idiot.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:46 AM   #2540
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yes they just lost the cap space, it's not an amount they have to pay. It's really only an issue if they wanted to spend right up to the cap. They can spend up to 250k less than the cap til 2025 or whatever. It's unlikely to ever be that crippling.

The franchise isn't doing well financially, and I'm sure on some level it's a relief to be out from under that contract. But what really sucks for them is not having their first round pick next season. For a team that has been thrust into a rebuilding phase with this decision, that's a tough one.

I wonder if they regret trading their pick for Schneider now. They'll still have a decent defense and system so he won't be hung out to dry, they're going to have to have a GAA not much higher than 1 to have a chance to win most games.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:05 AM   #2541
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco X View Post
Yes they just lost the cap space, it's not an amount they have to pay. It's really only an issue if they wanted to spend right up to the cap. They can spend up to 250k less than the cap til 2025 or whatever. It's unlikely to ever be that crippling.

The franchise isn't doing well financially, and I'm sure on some level it's a relief to be out from under that contract. But what really sucks for them is not having their first round pick next season. For a team that has been thrust into a rebuilding phase with this decision, that's a tough one.

I wonder if they regret trading their pick for Schneider now. They'll still have a decent defense and system so he won't be hung out to dry, they're going to have to have a GAA not much higher than 1 to have a chance to win most games.
I don't think this is much of a problem for them outside of this year. Next year free agency look to be a wide open affair with a LOT of players hitting the market so they will be able retool pretty fast and with Schneider in net they can allow Brodeur to retire and use his cap space up front.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #2542
Baba Booey

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
As he signs a contract with his KHL team that pays him $10+ mil a year.......some idiot.
He was about to make $56 million over the next five years with the Devils
Old 07-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #2543
Baba Booey

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I don't think this is much of a problem for them outside of this year. Next year free agency look to be a wide open affair with a LOT of players hitting the market so they will be able retool pretty fast and with Schneider in net they can allow Brodeur to retire and use his cap space up front.
Yeah, I'm not worried long-term. This season will probably suck (and I hope Lou can get that pick back), but they'll have an opportunity to reload. Schneider in net and some very solid defensive prospects coming up will help. Definitely need skill on offense though.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #2544
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Booey View Post
He was about to make $56 million over the next five years with the Devils
Taxed at almost 50%.

He's reportedly going to make over twice as much per year in Russia, at a 13% tax rate.....AND he'll be with his family living where he's happier. It's not even close.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #2545
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Taxed at almost 50%.
Yeah so? He choose to live there in NJ and signed a long term contract there. It's not like he didn't know about the tax issues. Hell, the only teams he was really even considering then were teams in highly taxed states. NY, CA, and NJ.

Now he "retires" and goes to the KHL, and he won't be allowed back in the NHL unless all 30 teams sign off on it, which is unlikely at this point.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #2546
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
All that cash for going to a lesser league and in the process he is screwing his teammates over, the fans, the organization etc. Not to mention he screwed over future Russians drafts, now everyone is going to avoid the Russians like the black plague.

So yeah, he's an idiot.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #2547
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

I don't think everyone is going to avoid Russians just cause of one guy 24

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #2548
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I don't think everyone is going to avoid Russians just cause of one guy 24
Quite a few talented Russians fall in the draft the last several years and that's because of the uncertainty of the player signing in North America. Now with this whole Kovy thing, teams are going to be even more skeptical to draft a Russian.

This isn't a Bobby Hull moment, but there will be some affects as a result of this move.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #2549
Baba Booey

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Taxed at almost 50%.

He's reportedly going to make over twice as much per year in Russia, at a 13% tax rate.....AND he'll be with his family living where he's happier. It's not even close.
Oh I get why he did it. It's just enraging that the team made such a huge commitment to him and he walks away 1/5th of the way through it.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #2550
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Booey View Post
Yeah, I'm not worried long-term. This season will probably suck (and I hope Lou can get that pick back), but they'll have an opportunity to reload. Schneider in net and some very solid defensive prospects coming up will help. Definitely need skill on offense though.
There is no reason they should get the pick back. They broke the rules and tht was the penalty.