The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Default Freeney/Mathis or Doom/Miller on turf

So surely most of us can remember just how fast Freeney/Mathis
were on the carpet in INDY especially playing with a lead.

I think you will see something similar on Monday night especially with Miller.............already quick on grass.

Pitt has a great defense and no huddle was unstoppable and "near perfection" as Chris Collingworth said during the game as well as this one...." I don"t know about Peyton's neck but his brain is working perfectly...he is picking Pitt apart ".

I clearly enjoyed Peyton's mind games at the line of scrimmage, switching plays depending on defense........it was fun to watch.

We will score the points and I expect Doom/Miller to get to Ryan many times. These two should be FAST on the turf.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Nwp-Apap

I agree. Also, when you consider the game plan last week was probably to keep Ben in the pocket. Which is probably why Doom and Miller were bull rushing almost the entire game, in an effort to keep Ben in the pocket and try to minimize his escapability. There were several sacks left on the field too, due to Ben's size and mobility even.

Against Ryan, a far less mobile, and smaller QB, our pass rush should look fantastic. I believe Doom and Miller will be told to pin their ears back more often, as he is not the threat outside the pocket that Ben is. Especially once we put up a 14 point lead before halftime
Old 09-15-2012, 11:48 PM   #3
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer

I like this, but we still have a running game to stop, and they will certainly make us prove we can stop it.....
Broncos4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:55 PM   #4
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

People getting a little ahead of themselves. This is going to be a really tough game. I don't expect to see a turnstile to Matt Ryan.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos4Life View Post
I like this, but we still have a running game to stop, and they will certainly make us prove we can stop it.....
Michael Turner is breaking down, I don't think he's a substantially bigger threat than Dwyer was, and Dwyer was handled reasonably well.

The run D has looked to have turned a corner, our big concern is going to be Tony Gonzalez working us short to intermediate to keep the chains moving and Jacquiz Rodgers catching short passes and turning them into something huge. Our LBs are WEAK.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #6
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
People getting a little ahead of themselves. This is going to be a really tough game. I don't expect to see a turnstile to Matt Ryan.
I agree.

Also, the Freeney/Mathis combo practiced on that turf every day and knew exactly how it performed. Couple that with a loud home crowd factor which can slow down offensive decision making. I don't expect a lot of sacks, but hopefully we can force some pressure that leads to INT's
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think if we start asking doom and miller off the chain well see a lot of screens and tony g. and or delayed handoffs
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos4Life View Post
We played the run pretty well last week, and Atlanta didn't run the ball very well vs. Chiefs...our biggest problem was allowing Ben to elude our pass rush and make big conversions on 3rd down (our DB's are good, but not even Champ can cover for 7-8 seconds)...however we were close to sacking him several times in addition to the 5 sacks we netted.

Matt Ryan is a pretty good QB, but he's not known for making the kind of plays that Ben can when the protection breaks down...and I suspect that a few of those near misses on Ben become sacks of Ryan.

I think that if the Broncos can forge a double digit lead early, then the pass rush will be able to force Ryan into mistakes or sack him like they did to Ben on 3 consecutive plays to end the game....playing with a lead makes a lot of difference as your DE's can pin their ears back and go after the QB vs. thinking of playing the run.

Broncos win it 31-20
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

That defense is not that good.............we will have an early lead.

Their running game was pitiful last week and our run defense has improved.

5+ sacks easy..............
Old 09-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
enjolras
Ring of Famer

I've watched the KC game last week a couple of times (god bless condensed mode)... I really don't think Atlanta, on the whole, is that good. Maybe not even a playoff team. It's a tough get on the road, however. They are STELLAR at home.

Watching that game it was apparent that the Chiefs failed in two big ways:

1. They got absolutely no pressure on Ryan. It didn't matter what they tried they basically never got near him. They couldn't even move the pocket. The key to beating Ryan has always been to get in his face. I think the Broncos will absolutely do that. The Broncos have been consistently moving the pocket and generating middle pressure throughout the preseason and in week 1. I think that trend wil continue.

2. The Cassel turnover issues. We definitely have a concerning issue with ball security, but I can't imagine Manning being the one to give things up here. Otherwise the Atlanta secondary isn't very good, and they didn't exactly dominate up front against the Chiefs.

I fully expect us to win:

Broncos 31 - Atlanta 20
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

...Let's not overrate turf in terms of pass-rush.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #12
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
...Let's not overrate turf in terms of pass-rush.
lets put it this way..............how many times were we this close to getting Ben last week ? that little bit of difference in speed will make the difference............
Old 09-17-2012, 04:08 AM   #13
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
They are STELLAR at home.
This is exactly right. Matt Ryan is 26-4 at home in his career, and he looks to be having his best year yet (preseason was great and week 1 40 points on the road).

This will be one of our toughest games of the season.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:11 AM   #14
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
This is exactly right. Matt Ryan is 26-4 at home in his career, and he looks to be having his best year yet (preseason was great and week 1 40 points on the road).

This will be one of our toughest games of the season.
Until next week when the Broncos play the Texans.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:12 AM   #15
Bacchus

Clabo is probably a low average starting OT in the NFL and I saw he was listed on the injury report as Questionable. That could be big news.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:06 AM   #16
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

Not that excited about this game. Atlanta is overhyped.

Denver 37 Atlanta 20
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #17
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post

Denver 37 Atlanta 20
If in Denver, I'd agree with you. But IMO, you can't overstate the importance of homefield advantage in the NFL.

As I said, Ryan is 26-4 at home......and he finally looks to be progressing into the elite QB level.

This will not be easy. If Denver does win by 17 points, as you suggest.....then no doubt, we are a SERIOUS contender.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #18
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I definitely think we COULD lose. After seeing how horrid the Chiefs really are, and seeing the Steelers bring the Jets down to earth, I think we're going to be ok.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:42 AM   #19
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm in the crowd of we should win, however don't underestimate a home opener, in a dome, on monday night football, against a team we don't normally play. If the roles were reversed, we'd be thinking the game was in the bag just due to those reasons alone. Even if ATL were pushovers, it would be a challenging game just based on that.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #20
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

It's all about percentages.

I expect Atlanta's offense to rack up the yards but given Von/Dumervil and Wolfe in the interior with Porter/Bailey then you expect Atlanta to be a little more conservative and protect their QB more. Ryan can work the short/intermediate passing game effectively but I'm ok with that as long as we don't give up big plays.

It's going to be a close game because both Offenses are capable of scoring 30+ points but I think we've got playmakers on defense that Atlanta doesn't and that'll be the difference maker.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #21
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
I'm in the crowd of we should win, however don't underestimate a home opener, in a dome, on monday night football, against a team we don't normally play. If the roles were reversed, we'd be thinking the game was in the bag just due to those reasons alone. Even if ATL were pushovers, it would be a challenging game just based on that.
Memories of the 2004 Bengals MNF game come to mind.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:17 AM   #22
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Memories of the 2004 Bengals MNF game come to mind.
I was JUST talking about that game.

That was the LAST football game I ever "guaranteed" the Broncos would win.

Cinci had the worst run D and we had one of the best run O's (I think that was when Droughns was just KILLIN it), and Carson Palmer hadn't turned into Carson Palmer Prime yet (long since vanished).

I was devastated
Old 09-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #23
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post

Denver 37 Atlanta 20
This. Peyton's still in prove-something mode. I don't see us taking anything for granted until a few more weeks in.

As far as Ryan goes... one game vs the Chiefs with a hobbled JV-secondary doesn't prove much in my mind. He can prove something meaningful tonight. Just don't see it happening.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #24
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
This. Peyton's still in prove-something mode. I don't see us taking anything for granted until a few more weeks in.

As far as Ryan goes... one game vs the Chiefs with a hobbled JV-secondary doesn't prove much in my mind. He can prove something meaningful tonight. Just don't see it happening.
I TRULY hope we can hold their offense to 20.

I think we win, but I'd be pretty surprised if our defense had a performance that good.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #25
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I was JUST talking about that game.

That was the LAST football game I ever "guaranteed" the Broncos would win.

Cinci had the worst run D and we had one of the best run O's (I think that was when Droughns was just KILLIN it), and Carson Palmer hadn't turned into Carson Palmer Prime yet (long since vanished).

I was devastated
I was at BYU and wore my Orange Bailey Jersey on campus that day. I definitely got some smirks the next day. What's worse, I watched at a friend's house with a Charger fan, and in doing so also discovered my friend treated his wife like crap. We were friend's in high school and he got married while I was in Korea. He was in the other room screaming at his wife because it was raining and the whole time this Bolt fan is smirking at me. Not a great day.