The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default When Will Jay Cutler Be Cured of Having to Be Jay Cutler?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-four-quarters

Quote:
September 14, 2012 12:00 AM ET
When Will Jay Cutler Be Cured of Having to Be Jay Cutler?
By Bill Barnwell

The dominant narrative surrounding Jay Cutler to an extent unmatched by any player in the NFL is that he needs to be fixed. That Jay Cutler is a few small changes away from being the quarterback we want him to be. That there are flaws so patently obvious and easy to fix that one new offensive coordinator or receiver1 or city will do it. Imagine if there were a Jay Cutler who didn't throw four picks in one game! Or one who didn't yell at his teammates when they screwed up! Or one who didn't walk around with that smug look on his face all the time! We lash out at Jay Cutler after his bad games like we're fighting with our significant others. If Jay Cutler would just put the dishes in the dishwasher instead of leaving them in the sink, we'd all have gone to the Super Bowl a long time ago.

Let's turn this question on ourselves, though, because it's going to tell us a lot about how we judge football players irrationally. Why does Jay Cutler have to get fixed? Why can't he just be a pretty good quarterback who delivers one or two terrible games a year? Isn't that good enough?

The problem is that we've somehow convinced ourselves that quarterbacks mill around at one level until they have a notably impressive game or season and establish a permanent new level of play, like they were characters in an RPG. That's nonsense, but we've spent the majority of Jay Cutler's career trying to pinpoint the moment in time when he took that big leap forward. We were sure Cutler had emerged as a franchise quarterback when he won that epic 39-38 game over the division rival Chargers in 2008. We were positive Cutler had taken the leap when he pushed a team whose most notable receiver was Devin Hester to an 11-win season and the NFC Championship Game in 2010. And we were definitely 100 percent onboard with the new Jay Cutler who led his team to a five-game winning streak last year just as he suffered a season-ending thumb injury. We keep telling ourselves that we've found the real Cutler, a guy who has eliminated his old faults and won't go back up the pipe to World 1-1.

--read more at the link---

Last edited by Blueflame; 09-15-2012 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: full article was posted
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
One small rant on the NFL Network coverage last night; at one point, Mike Mayock was talking about the reuniting of Cutler, Brandon Marshall, and coach Jeremy Bates like the Bears had brought back Montana, Rice, and Walsh. At some point, we need to stop treating the 2007-08 Broncos like they were the greatest passing offense the league's ever seen
If that isn't the truth. They were bottom third I believe in PPG but near the top in yards.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
Dagmar
...there ain't no devil

..there's just God when he's drunk.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Dagmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
named my dog jay back in 07
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
BroncoFanDoug
Loooong Time Bronco Fan!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Louis Wright

I think you are missing why Jay gets so much scrutiny regarding his maturity and attitude.

From a skills perspective Cutler has it all. Rocket arm (better than Elway's I've heard), mobile, can make every throw. Physically he has the tools to be a top 3 qb. It seems the only thing lacking is maturity.

Now getting older does not always bring maturity, but it often does. So I think people are always watching JC to see if he is making progress, because if he did he would not just be a decent qb, he could be a great qb.

At this point it is starting to look doubtful. And it is sad (esp if you are a Bears fan) to see that much talent wasted on being a "pretty good quarterback who delivers one or two terrible games a year".

Just my take.
BroncoFanDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

at the whiteboard
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFanDoug View Post
I think you are missing why Jay gets so much scrutiny regarding his maturity and attitude.

From a skills perspective Cutler has it all. Rocket arm (better than Elway's I've heard), mobile, can make every throw. Physically he has the tools to be a top 3 qb. It seems the only thing lacking is maturity.

Now getting older does not always bring maturity, but it often does. So I think people are always watching JC to see if he is making progress, because if he did he would not just be a decent qb, he could be a great qb.

At this point it is starting to look doubtful. And it is sad (esp if you are a Bears fan) to see that much talent wasted on being a "pretty good quarterback who delivers one or two terrible games a year".

Just my take.
He's a classic example of: Body by Nautilus, Brain By Mattel.
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
He's a classic example of: Body by Nautilus, Brain By Mattel.
This.

It's incurable.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagmar View Post
I don't like this post at all......but I AM thrilled that you are back.

SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFanDoug View Post

From a skills perspective Cutler has it all. Rocket arm (better than Elway's I've heard)
You heard that from Cutler.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote