The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Default Troy P Jujitsu move on DT's arm

Obviously Steelers getting upset DT straight arms them. Troy P did some sort of martial arts/tackle move that was clearly designed to try and hurt DT.

Man those Steelers really hate us.

An offensive player takes a risk sticking arm out like that but what did you all think of that play? Is it a cheap shot? Is Troy P a dirty player?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Obviously Steelers getting upset DT straight arms them. Troy P did some sort of martial arts/tackle move that was clearly designed to try and hurt DT.

An offensive player takes a risk sticking arm out like that but what did you all think of that play? Is it a cheap shot? Is Troy P a dirty player?
YES
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
lolcopter

Thread is useless without pics
Old 09-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
DENVERDUI55

I saw that and it really could of hurt DT. Thankfully it didn't. That should of been a flag for sure although I'm not sure what you would call it. It was like ROMO on sharpe when he played for Oakland.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo

It was eerily reminiscent of the Romanowski/Sharpe tackle. I was waiting for Troy to suplex him next.
brncs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

He was clearly frustrated. A frustrated player will do things that they don't normally do. I was glad to see that Thomas was OK, after that takedown...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
Thread is useless without pics
I'm not that internet savvy.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
JLesSPE
Pro Bowler

Ultimately the job of the defender is to get the ball carrier to the ground. Thomas throws a wicked stiff arm and that's all T.P. had to work with. It was either use the arm bar and take him down or get posterized as Thomas runs for another long TD. That being said, I was definitely concerned as it happened.
JLesSPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
I saw that and it really could of hurt DT. Thankfully it didn't. That should of been a flag for sure although I'm not sure what you would call it. It was like ROMO on sharpe when he played for Oakland.
There was a safety in Minny named Joey Browner who back in the day would do stuff like that. But he was considered a dirty player IMO. With the league trying to protect players IMO what Troy P did should probably be a penalty. But I don't think it is unless a ref can just throw a flag for any play he things in unneccessary roughness?
Old 09-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

But.....IMO after the play, after the bruce lee move, he then flung the arm in frustration. That should have been a penalty for taunting right there. Props to DT for just laughing it off.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
Traveler
Traveling Man!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:

I saw it too and also noticed after the play DT got up visibly upset while holding his arm. I thought for sure he was injured and wouldn't return to the game.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football

GO..........BRONCOS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLesSPE View Post
Ultimately the job of the defender is to get the ball carrier to the ground. Thomas throws a wicked stiff arm and that's all T.P. had to work with. It was either use the arm bar and take him down or get posterized as Thomas runs for another long TD. That being said, I was definitely concerned as it happened.
THIS!

If shoe was on other foot we would want champ/porter/etc to get wallace down by any means legal. There is nothing illegal about it. cheap and dirty maybe, but nothing flag worthy I didnt think
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #13
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
He was clearly frustrated. A frustrated player will do things that they don't normally do. I was glad to see that Thomas was OK, after that takedown...
This exactly. That was exacerbation - both for having to play out of position because his teammate's blood cells look like lucky charms, and because whenever he walked to the line Manning would audible to something that would either mildly hurt them, like the passes to the tight ends, or utterly destroy them, like the screen to DT.

The hi-jinx were at their best on the goal line when Manning and him were playing red-light-green-light and Manning took a time out; The audience stood and applauded.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #14
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

good god...it's a war out there, ladies
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #15
JLesSPE
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoflcommish View Post
THIS!

If shoe was on other foot we would want champ/porter/etc to get wallace down by any means legal. There is nothing illegal about it. cheap and dirty maybe, but nothing flag worthy I didnt think
If any part of it warranted the flag it was the frustrated fling after he was down, at least that's how I viewed it.
JLesSPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #16
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
This exactly. That was exacerbation - both for having to play out of position because his teammate's blood cells look like lucky charms, and because whenever he walked to the line Manning would audible to something that would either mildly hurt them, like the passes to the tight ends, or utterly destroy them, like the screen to DT.

The hi-jinx were at their best on the goal line when Manning and him were playing red-light-green-light and Manning took a time out; The audience stood and applauded.
the maestro makes the music..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #17
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
THIS!

I disagree on one point. DT was down, the play over, but Troy P gave the arm an extra flick as he finsish up. That actually did start being a penalty they fine it under taunting.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
good god...it's a war out there, ladies
I don't mind dirty. Romo one of my all time favorite Broncos. I just want the media to come out and say Troy P as dirty as any player in the league. I think Harrison gets all the bad press, but Troy P is like John Lynch. He is so cool to everyone they assume he isn't trying to injure offensive players.

Newsflash! These defenders live for injuring the other team.

IMO Troy P goes after knees on a regular basis.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #19
lookin' glass
Pro Bowler

Quote:
THIS!

"If they send one of yours to the hospital you send one of theirs to the morgue....."
lookin' glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #20
Rocket 7
Formerly known as Dipso

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Smith 70

Rocket 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #21
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Also DT has some to learn yet. After you get defenders thinking about straight arm you trick them. Stick the arm out, as soon as you see them reach to fight the straight arm, you pull it back ala Rod Smith, put your helmet down, and deliver a blow right into their midsection.

The defender can't position his body low enough to also defense the straight arm. Once they are over committing to engaging you upright, trying to grab your straight arm, the offensive player should just try and run them over.

Remember when Sharpe was young. Just before he started to really dominate? He also had to learn stuff like that.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #22
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football

GO..........BRONCOS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLesSPE View Post
If any part of it warranted the flag it was the frustrated fling after he was down, at least that's how I viewed it.

Quote:
I disagree on one point. DT was down, the play over, but Troy P gave the arm an extra flick as he finsish up. That actually did start being a penalty they fine it under taunting.

I agree about the end, but cutt, your question was dirty/cheap move...and going by book the inital takedown was legal....like I said I agree about end though
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #23
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
I don't mind dirty. Romo one of my all time favorite Broncos. I just want the media to come out and say Troy P as dirty as any player in the league. I think Harrison gets all the bad press, but Troy P is like John Lynch. He is so cool to everyone they assume he isn't trying to injure offensive players.

Newsflash! These defenders live for injuring the other team.

IMO Troy P goes after knees on a regular basis.
I thought it was great move.

If you really care about player safety, then ban the stiff arm. It's a legal blow to the head to defenders.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #24
loborugger
lost in the ether

Did we finally get a FB???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Really?

It was an unorthodox tackle, no doubt. But DT stuck his arm out there and he got tackled by his arm.
loborugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #25
Rocket 7
Formerly known as Dipso

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Smith 70

Rocket 7 is offline   Reply With Quote