The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default Do We Have Defensive Issues, OR Is Big Ben Just A Good QB?

Defense was not good tonight. The third and long conversions by Pittsburgh sucked. Something to be concerned with long term, or just Big Ben being Big Ben?

YOU decide, OMane.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

maybe a little of both...big ben did the same thing to the broncos in 2nd half of last years playoff game
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
Bacchus

Ben is so hard to bring down it is very frustrating. A more conventional and a more difficult test will be next week
Old 09-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Ben is so hard to bring down it is very frustrating. A more conventioanl and a more difficult test will be next week
I'm hoping this is the case. I agree, Ben has a history of extending plays, being tough to bring down, etc. I REALLY hope this is the case here.

Because if we can't get off the field on 3rd and 10+, we're screwed.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Defense was excellent tonight. Always room for improvement, but Ben is that good. He's got 2 SB rings doing exactly what he did tonight.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
Paladin
Ring of Famer

A little of both. Broncos DBs making some errors, and someone has to cover Miller, dammit.

OTOH, Pitt has to be equaly concerned. On balance, it ws not a badly played game.....

Last edited by Paladin; 09-09-2012 at 10:14 PM..
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
BroncoFanDoug
Loooong Time Bronco Fan!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Louis Wright

I think the D was awesome. Bend not break. Get used to it because this is Del Rio D.

The D stopped the run. The D allowed zero big plays. This approach compliments Peyton so well.

This D is sooooo much better than last year.
BroncoFanDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #8
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Defense was excellent tonight. Always room for improvement, but Ben is that good. He's got 2 SB rings doing exactly what he did tonight.
The defense was not excellent by any stretch.

They get kudos for holding PITT to some FGs and making the big play at the end, but we have got to get off the field on 3rd and long. We have to.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #9
Agamemnon

Both. We have coverage issues at linebacker and safety and Del Rio refused to bring the heat on 3rd and long all game long for some reason, but the Rapist was pretty much on fire on third down tonight. I don't think it will be this bad all season, but I do have a feeling it will be a reoccurring theme, especially against great QB's.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #10
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Mays is a total liability in coverage. Ben made some good plays and Mays made some horrible--HORRIBLE--plays in coverage.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #11
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Denver's D faced a team with zero running threat and still struggled that's a concern. Miller and Doom were next to invisable most of the night facing backups that's a concern and needs to get better. If teams can take out Doom and Miller easily our D will really struggle. Denver had ball 36 secs in 3rd qtr. Denver's D has to get off field alot quicker.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 09-09-2012 at 10:23 PM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #12
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoFanDoug View Post
I think the D was awesome. Bend not break. Get used to it because this is Del Rio D.

The D stopped the run. The D allowed zero big plays. This approach compliments Peyton so well.

This D is sooooo much better than last year.
I consider converting 3rd and 10+ a big play; and that happened several times tonight.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #13
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
The defense was not excellent by any stretch.

They get kudos for holding PITT to some FGs and making the big play at the end, but we have got to get off the field on 3rd and long. We have to.
Perhaps you just need to watch it again.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #14
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

They couldnt run on us and yet we still let Ben throw at us. It is a concern when you let at least 3 3rd and over 12 yards to make first downs. Simply put, it will get us by the Chiefs but not going to take us to the Super Bowl. TG for Manning when he actually got a chance to eat up some time of possession. That is the part that frustrated me. I want to see Manning out there driving down the field, not sitting on the bench waiting and waiting.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #15
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Too early to tell. We where good in 1st and 2nd down.. but on 3rd we where just awful. It's only the first game... but it sure seems like if both the offensive and defensive scheme gel, this team could go places.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #16
Agamemnon

A little perspective:

If this defense maintains this level of performance all season, going off last season's rankings, they will rank 5th in points allowed and 2nd in yards allowed. So yeah, they were pretty good tonight. Far from perfect, but pretty damn good all the same.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #17
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

The Steelers offense went 11 for 19 on third down conversions. A lot of those were 3rd and long. Add in the fact that thier offense was down 2 starting lineman, thier starting RB did not play, and thier best WR just got in last week to a new system with no offseason. Our linebacker and safety play was horrible. It did get shored up some when Jim Leonhard came in late, but Mays hasn't improved one bit from last season. Rahim Moore still makes mental errors at big times, and Woodyard struggled so badly that they had to put in Keith Brooking at one point.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:34 PM   #18
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
A little perspective:

If this defense maintains this level of performance all season, going off last season's rankings, they will rank 5th in points allowed and 2nd in yards allowed. So yeah, they were pretty good tonight. Far from perfect, but pretty damn good all the same.
If we can get off the field faster and more often I'll be satisfied with progress on D this year. We still have miles to go on D but, at least we are way more fun to watch.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #19
Bronco Yoda

Good grief. Big Ben played very well tonight. He kept JUST getting away from our pass rush. We were just a half a step away from stopping him all night long. Frustrating for sure, but Rapeberger gets paid to make plays too. And to his credit he really did pull some rabbits out of his ass tonight at times. Not too many other Ben like players out there.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #20
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Here's my take on the defensive performance tonight.

Pretty solid against the run, especially since Warren was gone for a good chunk of it. I said before the game even started when everybody was saying we're going to sack him 5 or 6 times and knock him down all game long. He's one of the most crafty guys in the pocket and if you do get to him, he's hard as hell to get down. With those last few sacks in garbage time when the game was pretty much wrapped up, it looks better then it was at getting to Ben. That's got to improve. Did love the Miller shoulder dip on that one sack, that was a thing of beauty. Mays got faked out of his jock at the endzone, can't have that Mr. Mays, you need to improve alot or I promise when DJ comes back your field time will get limited. We got owned on 3rd and long tonight. It was ugly and that's all you can say about it. You expect to give those up sometimes but not all night long. That is a huge concern right now. I did like how our DB's though did not give up. We got that pick six at the end and we had our hands on a few more passes we should have came up with INT's on those.

Overall - even though the Steelers were without some good players (and for the record, we had some nice players out as well - DJ, Hunter, Kuper and Warren for much of it) they are still a very well coached team with alot of talent and they are physical. It was a good test for us.

Last comment - somebody needs to tell Moreno to either put some tape on those shoes or go with the high tops
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #21
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
I'm hoping this is the case. I agree, Ben has a history of extending plays, being tough to bring down, etc. I REALLY hope this is the case here.

Because if we can't get off the field on 3rd and 10+, we're screwed.
I think it's pretty tough to establish this as a concern until there is even a semblance of a pattern. I mean even Moneyball had some statistical justification before it was forced down the throats of the over-focused.
hambone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #22
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Good grief. Big Ben played very well tonight. He kept JUST getting away from our pass rush. We were just a half a step away from stopping him all night long. Frustrating for sure, but Rapeberger gets paid to make plays too. And to his credit he really did pull some rabbits out of his ass tonight at times. Not too many other Ben like players out there.
And we still held them to under 300 yards and 20 points. Yes we struggled against the pass on third down, but it's really silly to only focus on that when there were a lot of positives as well.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #23
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
A little perspective:

True the yardage stats look good, but are misleading. Similar to the Shanahan defense of we have the number 2 offense in the league because of yardage even though we don't score that much.

The D wss technically good but it was cringe worthy watching it
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #24
hambone13
Ring of Famer

Salty Lurking Vet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
They couldnt run on us and yet we still let Ben throw at us. It is a concern when you let at least 3 3rd and over 12 yards to make first downs. Simply put, it will get us by the Chiefs but not going to take us to the Super Bowl. TG for Manning when he actually got a chance to eat up some time of possession. That is the part that frustrated me. I want to see Manning out there driving down the field, not sitting on the bench waiting and waiting.
I can't say that I didn't have similar feelings but reading into it like it's the personality of this team is just premature. I had a blast because of the highs and lows....I expected them cause well.....we have a new QB, even if it is PM.
hambone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #25
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

We just beat a top 10 team by 12 points, 6 of which came from the D. First game of the season. You decide, drama mama.
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote