The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default Props to the D.

Yeah the third down thing sucked but for the first game of the year and being out there so long they could have just folded like the French army. They fought hard IMO.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Worst third and long team I've ever scene. The Steelers actually looked forward to it. Congrats stopping the run and holding them to 19 points, but Ben was 10-12 on third down and some were 15+ or more. That's bull crap.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Yeah, I mean Ben has a history of being hard to tackle, extending plays, etc, but that was horrific.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Worst third and long team I've ever scene. The Steelers actually looked forward to it. Congrats stopping the run and holding them to 19 points, but Ben was 10-12 on third down and some were 15+ or more. That's bull crap.
A lot of it seemed to be on Del Rio if you ask me. He simply refused to blitz on 3rd and long and sometimes only brought three. It was bizarre.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
A lot of it seemed to be on Del Rio if you ask me. He simply refused to blitz on 3rd and long and sometimes only brought three. It was bizarre.
He blitzed several times but Denver could never sack him so I think he just wanted to drop more into coverage and make him throw into tighter coverage. It worked ont he Porter INT.

We'll have a better feel for Denver's pass rush next week against ATL.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
I don't disagree with that part. To me they didn't seemed to be gassed after spending all that time on the field.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Our pass defense was pathetic
We started having a bit more success when Del Rio had them stop lining 10 yards off the LOS giving them quick hitters all day
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #8
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Massive props on the last 2 Steeler possessions. Other than that, ugh.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #9
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I mean, I get the philosophy; Contain the run, don't break in the red zone and force Ben into a mistake. It worked, obviously, but we need to be way more creative on third and long.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #10
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

After the refs had one blunder after another tonight, I thought they played great having to beat both squads. They scored 6 points too. Great night for the defense.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #11
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
After the refs had one blunder after another tonight, I thought they played great having to beat both squads. They scored 6 points too. Great night for the defense.
I agree abotu the refs the big thing they are doing wrong is that they are scared to therow flags and there is a lot of holding going on.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:44 PM   #12
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
We did try it and he threw toHeath Miller for a 1st down on a long 3rd down play.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #13
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I agree abotu the refs the big thing they are doing wrong is that they are scared to therow flags and there is a lot of holding going on.
Refs sucked. It seemed that every time the D stopped Pitt they had a penalty flag ready to drop on us. And when the flag should have gone the other way they were reluctant to do so. Luckily they didn't screw us out of a win thanks to PM, but it was not too even.

The Helmet to helmet hit was (technically) a hit and foul , but Moore was trying to pull up and the receiver dipped right into it. Sometimes Shyt happens. If Moore gets fined over that BS it would be a real injustice. The NFL needs to make some rule diferentiation about unintentional helmet hits like this.

We should have received a second PI against Decker on the 4th qtr drive that ended in a FG. would have been 1st and goal at the two since it was in the end zone. But they had just flagged Harris for PI 2 plays earlier so they didn't call it then.

The other stuff ,like the delay of game that should of been dropped on Ben, and 12 Pitt men on the field ( at the same time as another PI that should have been called on the same play) kept Pitt in drives and killed several of ours early.
Frankly this crew did a bad job, but it wasn't HORRIBLE. Still it was not up to NFL standards and they need to get a lot better or something bad will happen.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:30 AM   #14
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottXray View Post
Refs sucked. It seemed that every time the D stopped Pitt they had a penalty flag ready to drop on us. And when the flag should have gone the other way they were reluctant to do so. Luckily they didn't screw us out of a win thanks to PM, but it was not too even.

The Helmet to helmet hit was (technically) a hit and foul , but Moore was trying to pull up and the receiver dipped right into it. Sometimes Shyt happens. If Moore gets fined over that BS it would be a real injustice. The NFL needs to make some rule diferentiation about unintentional helmet hits like this.

We should have received a second PI against Decker on the 4th qtr drive that ended in a FG. would have been 1st and goal at the two since it was in the end zone. But they had just flagged Harris for PI 2 plays earlier so they didn't call it then.

The other stuff ,like the delay of game that should of been dropped on Ben, and 12 Pitt men on the field ( at the same time as another PI that should have been called on the same play) kept Pitt in drives and killed several of ours early.
Frankly this crew did a bad job, but it wasn't HORRIBLE. Still it was not up to NFL standards and they need to get a lot better or something bad will happen.
I hear they are also having a very hard time just spotting the ball properly. This might have been more in other games but they are a mess. The NFL is going to stand firm though. The regular refs are going to have to buckle or we'll be stuck with these refs all year.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:43 AM   #15
broncowill
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

When they blitzed they would blitz a corner or safety and leave mays and woodyard in coverage, which is a terrible idea. I would have blitzed either mays or woodyard if not both and leave the corners and safeties to cover since neither of them were having any luck.
broncowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:48 AM   #16
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:

I was so pissed at the helmet to helmet. The we initiated contact, flopped as if he got knocked out and then got up as if nothing happened. He should be fined if the NFL does the right thing.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:52 AM   #17
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:

Decker just flat out dropped that pass. That was a play he should have made. There was a little touching going on there but it wasn't a serious PI in my opinion. Catch the ball Decker, that was your TD right there and I've got Peyton on my fantasy team, you cost me a win tonight
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #18
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:

I guess i'm the only one that thought he could have totally avoided ever hitting Sanders on that play. Ball was damn near on the ground by the time Moore hit him.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #19
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Decker just flat out dropped that pass. That was a play he should have made. There was a little touching going on there but it wasn't a serious PI in my opinion. Catch the ball Decker, that was your TD right there and I've got Peyton on my fantasy team, you cost me a win tonight
At the very least it was defensive holding . Harris grabbed Deckers jersey prior to the pass arriving while it was in the air. He should have been flagged.

I don't do fantasy so I don't care who PM was throwing to. It was PI in my book. Harris got away with one there.

We won so it ended up not mattering in the long run , but it could have.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #20
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

The only thing that was not great about the D was the 3rd down conversions.

90% of that falls on the Linebackers, specifically Mays and Woodyard.

The other 10% was just damn good play by Rapistburger.

But at the end of the day, Denver held a prolific (albeit somewhat hampered) offense to 203 passing yards (counting sacks which subtract from passing yard totals) and 74 rushing yards. Top 10 defensively in both areas.

Also, held them to field goals twice, and stopped a 2 point conversion.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #21
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Not going to win many games if we hold them to 3rd and long with outstanding plays and then give it back to them.

I realize we have MAnning but we are playing some damned good teams this year.. Having him sit on the bench/locker room for over an hour in a game like he did last night is going to lose games for us..

Your correct third down has been our bane for years..

and third and LONG seems to be even worse.. those are the plays that break backs....
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #22
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
I hear they are also having a very hard time just spotting the ball properly. This might have been more in other games but they are a mess. The NFL is going to stand firm though. The regular refs are going to have to buckle or we'll be stuck with these refs all year.
At one point early in the game we had second (according to the graphic on the screen) and 6. we got a 5 yard penalty and then it was second and 5.

Did anyone else notice this one?
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #23
fdf
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Did you see the one where Mays was heading toward Ben, the DL was behind Mays and holding Mays in a chokehold around the neck from behind? Mays, amazingly, was still moving toward Ben but not fast enough. It was a sure sack and the two of them were all by themselves. I'm not sure how any ref missed it.
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #24
fdf
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
Having him sit on the bench/locker room for over an hour in a game like he did last night is going to lose games for us..
Look on the bright side. It will extend Manning's career if he is only on the field for 5 minutes each game
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #25
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
I guess i'm the only one that thought he could have totally avoided ever hitting Sanders on that play. Ball was damn near on the ground by the time Moore hit him.
Perhaps, but wasn't the call helmet to helmet? Moore lowered his head to a few feet off the ground, then the receiver lowered his head into Moore's. Late hit, maaaybe, helmet to helmet, no!
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote