The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Team-by-team cap space as of September 7, 2012

Editor's note: Once the regular season begins, the salary-cap calculation changes. Instead of factoring in the 51 highest-paid players, the in-season cap takes into account all 53 players, the practice squad, and players on reserve lists. Here's the league's official version of the list, as of Friday, September 7.]

Eagles: $21.4 million.

Jaguars: $20.7 million.

Chefs: $14.5 million.

Titans: $14.1 million.

Bills: $13.6 million.

Browns: $13.4 million.

Buccaneers: $13.2 million.

Seahawks: $13.2 million.

Broncos: $12.3 million.

Bengals: $10.4 million.

Patriots: $8.4 million.

Vikings: $8.2 million.

Dolphins: $7.1 million.

Packers: $6.9 million.

Cardinals: $6.6 million.

Redskins: $6.1 million.

Jets: $5.9 million.

Cowboys: $5.7 million.

Colts: $5.3 million.

Panthers: $5.3 million.

Bears: $4.5 million.

Saints: $4.1 million.

Rams: $4.0 million.

Chargers: $3.5 million.

raiders: $2.3 million.

Giants: $2.2 million.

Lions: $2.0 million.

Steelers; $1.6 million.

Ravens: $1.4 million.

Falcons: $1.3 million.

Texans: $882,000.

49ers: $880,000.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...f-september-7/
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
menonite

Unless there is a plan B and it involves throwing one hell of a party for Floyd Little I don't see much point in hanging on to that much cash.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by menonite View Post
Unless there is a plan B and it involves throwing one hell of a party for Floyd Little I don't see much point in hanging on to that much cash.
Then again, Pat may need a new addition to his two or three mansions, there are those pesky payments on his three jets and his entourage requires bi-annual raises.

Floyd was before his time anyway. In his way of thinking, the NFL has plenty of charities for Floyd if need be.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
TonyR
Franchise Poster

With all the talent they have how can the Eagles possibly have that much cap space?
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

You know noothin

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
With all the talent they have how can the Eagles possibly have that much cap space?
I was about to say...if you asked me who I thought would have the most cap space in the league the Eagles would have been one of the last teams I would have thought to guess.
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Because the Eagles generally recognize their young talent early and sign them to long term extensions with 2-3 years left on their rookie contracts. They get bargain rates by giving their young players upfront money early on.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post
Because the Eagles generally recognize their young talent early and sign them to long term extensions with 2-3 years left on their rookie contracts. They get bargain rates by giving their young players upfront money early on.
Like what Denver did NOT do for Clady.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0phr0syne View Post
Yes, they do a great job with contracts. But they have so many big $ players it's still hard to believe!
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

For THIS I Went To Grad School?!?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango View Post
Then again, Pat may need a new addition to his two or three mansions, there are those pesky payments on his three jets and his entourage requires bi-annual raises.

Floyd was before his time anyway. In his way of thinking, the NFL has plenty of charities for Floyd if need be.
You forgot to mention that Pat wants to install keggers in each of his 14 bathrooms.

That doesn't happen cheaply.
Captain 'Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango View Post

lest not even talk about the debt he incurred in buying the franchise nor his part of building the new stadium..

that must not count when talking about money..

some of you morons are so out of touch on what it costs to run a business..

Did anyone think we just might have some injuries and have to replace those players .. they are not going to work for free.. nor are the guys going on IR there salaries are not going away just because they are not playing..

OAK and SAN are going to be in a world of hurt if they lose someone..

They have zip in teh bank..

Also I may be wrong on this but I seem to remember hearing that some money could be carried to next year.. but then that just may have been during the uncapped year also.. but it seemed to me that it did not end last year..

anyway the FO is hedging their bets that we will have to buy some talent mid year..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
lest not even talk about the debt he incurred in buying the franchise nor his part of building the new stadium..

that must not count when talking about money..

some of you morons are so out of touch on what it costs to run a business..

Did anyone think we just might have some injuries and have to replace those players .. they are not going to work for free.. nor are the guys going on IR there salaries are not going away just because they are not playing..

OAK and SAN are going to be in a world of hurt if they lose someone..

They have zip in teh bank..

Also I may be wrong on this but I seem to remember hearing that some money could be carried to next year.. but then that just may have been during the uncapped year also.. but it seemed to me that it did not end last year..

anyway the FO is hedging their bets that we will have to buy some talent mid year..
1. If the debt associated with purchasing the team handcuffs him when running the team he should GTFO.

2. The tax payers picked up a bigger tab for him on that stadium than basically ALL of his peers have gotten from tax payers in recent history. So crying poor because of that is pretty damn weak when guys like Bob Kraft built their stadium basically tax payer assistance free.

3. The Broncos are consistently a top 10 earner in the NFL.

4. There is literally NO WAY IN HELL they'll spend $12M on in-season signings. Almost all in-season guys get minimum contracts, which range from $300-$500K depending on service time. So if you assume an average of $400K that implies the need to sign 30 FAs during the year.

5. This number also does not count the money that DJ Williams will not be getting paid due to his suspension, so it's already a couple million low from reality.

Face it man, Bowlen's a tight ass. He's gotten bailed out by having superior staff (Shanahan era), got exposed when he lacked that (McDaniels era) and we'll see just where on that scale Elway and Fox land this season.

I'm optimistic about this team, but it sure would look a lot nicer if we'd used that disposable cash on improving at the many weak spots we still have.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Looking at the most recent data, CNN is now able to project that........

Drek is a STUD!

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Once again. Name one free agent we didn't sign due to money.

You can't. It's all imagined blame to protect Shanahan's failed legacy as a bad GM.

Now I CAN name several free agents Shanahan threw gobs of money at that were just awful. Why didn't Bowlen step in then?

Because he doesn't. He never has. If there were even an inkling that Bowlen was putting the breaks on a player the front office wanted to go after, especially with Shanny, who had guys like Schefter literally on speed dial, it would have been all over, or at the very LEAST we would have heard rumors about it locally.

Nothing. All you did hear consistently is Shanahan had carte blanche with the Broncos and the first time Bowlen told him no was not even for a player, but for overhauling the team gym.

It's all bull****.

Last edited by Kaylore; 09-09-2012 at 04:19 PM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #14
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

You can't. It's all imagined blame to protect Shanahan's failed legacy as a bad GM.
Seriously?

Paul Soliai.

Broderick Bunkley.

Cullen Jenkins.

Brandon Mebane.

We brought the three FAs in, made them offers, and the left for better money elsewhere. With Mebane it has been publicly stated by that we offered significantly less than the Seahawks. Then with Bunkley the FO claimed he was a high priority to retain, only to watch him leave for much more money elsewhere.

Now I'm not advocating an overpay like what Bunkley got, but after a decade of ****ty DT play and a claim that we were going to address DT maybe, must maybe, it was worth paying a little more than what you saw as "good value" for a young, proven vet like Mebane or Soliai.

Now it looks like we might be ok at DT this year for the first time in a while, but that largely hinges on the healthy of two guys on the wrong side of 30 while all the other play makers in the front seven are in their early to mid 20's. Sure would be nice to have a good DT of similar age (read: Mebane or Soliai) to team with them.

Quote:
Now I CAN name several free agents Shanahan threw gobs of money at that were just awful. Why didn't Bowlen step in then?

Because he doesn't. He never has. If there were even an inkling that Bowlen was putting the breaks on a player the front office wanted to go after, especially with Shanny, who had guys like Schefter literally on speed dial, it would have been all over, or at the very LEAST we would have heard rumors about it locally.

Nothing. All you did hear consistently is Shanahan had carte blanche with the Broncos and the first time Bowlen told him no was not even for a player, but for overhauling the team gym.

It's all bull****.
1. I'm not pushing this as an apologist for Shanahan, I think his time here came to a natural end as he'd lost the same fire he had earlier and both the team and Shanahan needed a fresh start.

2. Look at the real numbers during the Shanahan years. The Broncos were consistently in the bottom 1/3rd of the league in real money spent. Shanahan signed primarily vets who were looking for one last deal despite already being in decline. He got them to sign "big" money deals with little guaranteed and a lot back ended, so when he dumped them there was some pro-rated cap damage but generally it was a lot of theoretical money that never got paid.

3. Again, we were consistently a bottom 3rd team in cash spent, despite being a top 3rd team in cash earned. There's no other way around that fact. Either Bowlen limits the organization's cash resources or he has failed to provide the team with a competent accountant who could keep the cap in order.

4. Last point: A team that is in "go for it now" mode expecting to land Peyton Manning doesn't suddenly go cheap on all their other FA signings while leaving $12M in available cap room and another $5M of easy to clear money (cutting DJ's ass) unless there is something else going on. It just doesn't make sense with the "Only Plan A" mantra this FO has claimed to embrace.

Last edited by Drek; 09-09-2012 at 04:32 PM..
Old 09-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #15
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
1. If the debt associated with purchasing the team handcuffs him when running the team he should GTFO.

2. The tax payers picked up a bigger tab for him on that stadium than basically ALL of his peers have gotten from tax payers in recent history. So crying poor because of that is pretty damn weak when guys like Bob Kraft built their stadium basically tax payer assistance free.

3. The Broncos are consistently a top 10 earner in the NFL.

4. There is literally NO WAY IN HELL they'll spend $12M on in-season signings. Almost all in-season guys get minimum contracts, which range from $300-$500K depending on service time. So if you assume an average of $400K that implies the need to sign 30 FAs during the year.

5. This number also does not count the money that DJ Williams will not be getting paid due to his suspension, so it's already a couple million low from reality.

Face it man, Bowlen's a tight ass. He's gotten bailed out by having superior staff (Shanahan era), got exposed when he lacked that (McDaniels era) and we'll see just where on that scale Elway and Fox land this season.

I'm optimistic about this team, but it sure would look a lot nicer if we'd used that disposable cash on improving at the many weak spots we still have.
Superior staff during the Tanahan era

Ahahahahahahahahaha

Just how many rounds 1-3 players did tanahan reign in his career in Denver. 13% 6-41. Yep that is superior. How many years did tanahan have us in cap hell because of all his piss poor UFA signings.

Crap man are you his brother in law or something or is he your bromance.

As far as Pat is concerned he should have fired his sorry ass a decade before he did. And save himself another hundred mill in wasted signing bonuses.

Regardless of how much a player costs when we sign them and the surely will be more than one I want the money in the cap to do so..

I would think any bronco fan would be happy that Pat is the owner. I remember the phelps brothers now they were broke.

Had it not been for Pat there would be no Denver Broncos and certainly not been and Super Bowls.

Have just a bit of gratitude opposed to whining about an owner and FO that is putting together a damned fine team. By not wasting money.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #16
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:

It's all bull****.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #17
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:

It's all bull****.
Again, I've addressed this argument at least two dozen times. We didn't spend money for a decade. That's a fact. Our average is like 20th. That's awful. It can't be explained solely by dead money because we never hit a tidal wave and two years of high level spending cannot create the need for 9 years of way, way below average spending.

And yes, it would have been stupid for any reporter to suggest the same during their time there, even Schefter, because they'd get frozen out out of the building. Next.

BRING BACK BUTCH
Old 09-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #18
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Seriously?

Paul Soliai.

Broderick Bunkley.

Cullen Jenkins.

Brandon Mebane.

We brought the three FAs in, made them offers, and the left for better money elsewhere. With Mebane it has been publicly stated by that we offered significantly less than the Seahawks. Then with Bunkley the FO claimed he was a high priority to retain, only to watch him leave for much more money elsewhere.

Now I'm not advocating an overpay like what Bunkley got, but after a decade of ****ty DT play and a claim that we were going to address DT maybe, must maybe, it was worth paying a little more than what you saw as "good value" for a young, proven vet like Mebane or Soliai.

Now it looks like we might be ok at DT this year for the first time in a while, but that largely hinges on the healthy of two guys on the wrong side of 30 while all the other play makers in the front seven are in their early to mid 20's. Sure would be nice to have a good DT of similar age (read: Mebane or Soliai) to team with them.
Did we even pursue Mebane?

All of that is really neither here nor there. Whether we should have gone after someone is an entirely different argument.

Where did it ever say in any of those instances that Bowlen told the front office office to not spend his money.

Sure it's possible all three regimes, Fox, McDaniels and Shanahan, all kept their mouths shut, and everyone on the staff that knew of the situation did likewise when Bowlen stopped them from pursuing guys they wanted to. But it is extremely improbably and would be the first time in sports. You'd hear it somewhere from one of those.

And I can point to Jamal Williams, Jarvis Green and Bannon all in one offseason when McDaniels was blowing his wad on guys that were average or worse and Bowlen did nothing. So you lose that one too.

The last guy we lost out on was the DE that went to Seattle and the money was the same but he chose Seattle because he felt they were a better team (according to him) and he was right.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #19
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Again, I've addressed this argument at least two dozen times. We didn't spend money for a decade. That's a fact. Our average is like 20th. That's awful. It can't be explained solely by dead money because we never hit a tidal wave and two years of high level spending cannot create the need for 9 years of way, way below average spending.

And yes, it would have been stupid for any reporter to suggest the same during their time there, even Schefter, because they'd get frozen out out of the building. Next.
1. Looking at spending averages proves nothing. I have already countered this argument because half the time Shanny's bad spending had him up against the cap and he couldn't sing anyone. And the other half the time he spent willy nilly on absolutely garbage. Bowlen never stopped him.

2. And rumors about the rifts in the locker room and criticism toward the coaches and other staff members have been leaked before and they were never frozen out. In fact name one member of the media that has ever been frozen out for reporting anything damaging to the Broncos, Bowlen or the coaching staff.

Again, like your conspiracy theory, there are no examples. It is a bull**** response to hard facts that destroy your theory. I do get you love Shanahan but I emplore you just come out and say "I hate Bowlen because he fired Shanahan and so I imagine everything he does is bad even when there is no evidence."
Old 09-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #20
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
Superior staff during the Tanahan era

Ahahahahahahahahaha

Just how many rounds 1-3 players did tanahan reign in his career in Denver. 13% 6-41. Yep that is superior. How many years did tanahan have us in cap hell because of all his piss poor UFA signings.
Again, not trying to apologize for Shanahan.

Fact is though, he made chicken **** into chicken salad more seasons than not. We had chicken **** partially because Bowlen limited the cash resources but also at least as much because of Shanahan's failures on early round picks.

Shanahan picked it up though by out-coaching everyone in the league and killing it in the late rounds and in hiring his assistants. Turner and Gibbs were Dick LeBeau levels of brilliant at their specialties, which dovetailed perfectly with Shanahan's own skill set. The coaching staff during the Shanahan era really WERE the smartest guys in the room when it came to scheme. The fact that he ****ed himself as a GM doesn't change that, or how many games he won us by simply out-coaching the opposition.

Quote:
As far as Pat is concerned he should have fired his sorry ass a decade before he did. And save himself another hundred mill in wasted signing bonuses.

Regardless of how much a player costs when we sign them and the surely will be more than one I want the money in the cap to do so..

I would think any bronco fan would be happy that Pat is the owner. I remember the phelps brothers now they were broke.

Had it not been for Pat there would be no Denver Broncos and certainly not been and Super Bowls.

Have just a bit of gratitude opposed to whining about an owner and FO that is putting together a damned fine team. By not wasting money.
1. The Broncos weren't in any threat of being moved when Pat Bowlen bought the team. We had JOHN ELWAY as our QB.

2. Pat's one defining move was hiring someone else and stepping away, that someone else was Mike Shanahan.

3. Facts are the facts. This team has the income of a prince but spends like a pauper. Do you want the Broncos competing with the Cardinals, Chiefs, Titans, Bucs, etc. level of franchise where a couple strong years per decade is considered "good" or do you want them competing with the Pats, Giants, Steelers, Ravens, etc. where it's expected to compete every season?

There is a reason why the top of that list lack playoff teams, but the bottom is pretty well adorned with them.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #21
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
1. Looking at spending averages proves nothing. I have already countered this argument because half the time Shanny's bad spending had him up against the cap and he couldn't sing anyone. And the other half the time he spent willy nilly on absolutely garbage. Bowlen never stopped him.

2. And rumors about the rifts in the locker room and criticism toward the coaches and other staff members have been leaked before and they were never frozen out. In fact name one member of the media that has ever been frozen out for reporting anything damaging to the Broncos, Bowlen or the coaching staff.

Again, like your conspiracy theory, there are no examples. It is a bull**** response to hard facts that destroy your theory. I do get you love Shanahan but I emplore you just come out and say "I hate Bowlen because he fired Shanahan and so I imagine everything he does is bad even when there is no evidence."
Ofcourse the averages prove it. Its over a 10 year period, so it will naturally reflect where they are at. You see 2-3 super high spending years and 8 really abysmal spending years. That eliminates your dead money argument. It doesnt take 8 years to make up for 2. It just doesnt. This isn't 1 or 2 years, its 10 years worth of data and you can see the high years and low years. I don't have to break into Shanny's home and get his super secret FA lists from each year to sufficiently prove the theory, that's a slightly unreasonable level of proof, yes? I hate Bowlen because he tied Shanny's hand and then scapegoated him afterwards. I hate Bowlen because he had a great young QB and chose Satan himself over him and let the franchise burn while he did nothing. I hate Bowlen because he's a sub-human dog**** owner. That he fired Shanny is merely one of many reasons to hate him.

BRING BACK BUTCH
Old 09-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #22
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Yeah because the Patriots, Eagles, Vikings and Packers never field competitive teams, Drek.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #23
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

The truth is most of those big contracts go to players who deserve them and the truly good players never see free agency. The Steelers are good because they draft well and then keep their own. That's something Shanny never had a chance to do because his drafts sucked and he was forced to throw money at what was left. It's not like those top five teams are always signing free agents to build their teams.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #24
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Did we even pursue Mebane?
John Clayton says we were after Mebane
Mike Klis said the Broncos were after Mebane

Want to see the real kick in the balls on that whole deal? Not only was Mebane our top FA target that year, not only did we actually talk dollars with him, but then Arnie Stapleton, AP football writer, posted THIS:
Quote:
#Broncos not in sweepstakes for #BrandonMebane, #Seahawks DT too pricey for them
So 5/$25M for a starting DT is too pricey (that's what Seattle signed him for).

Quote:
All of that is really neither here nor there. Whether we should have gone after someone is an entirely different argument.
The **** it is. You specifically said "what FA did we lose out on" because of a limited budget. Well I just pointed out our top FA target of last season we weren't even willing to pay market value for.

Quote:
Sure it's possible all three regimes, Fox, McDaniels and Shanahan, all kept their mouths shut, and everyone on the staff that knew of the situation did likewise when Bowlen stopped them from pursuing guys they wanted to. But it is extremely improbably and would be the first time in sports. You'd hear it somewhere from one of those.
No you wouldn't. Have you heard any previous staffer for the Cards, Bengals, etc. b****ing about their cheap ass owners? Not if they want to keep working in the NFL. No one in the NFL EVER throws an owner under the bus, and everyone realizes that some teams just spend money than others. Your logic is like saying "well, if the Rays really were a cheap baseball team I'm sure someone in the org. would call them out on it." Its just a truism of pro sports, some teams spend more money, some owners pocket more money.

Quote:
And I can point to Jamal Williams, Jarvis Green and Bannon all in one offseason when McDaniels was blowing his wad on guys that were average or worse and Bowlen did nothing. So you lose that one too.
Same **** as Mike Shanahan. Guys who got mid-range deals heavy in back end money they never saw.

Quote:
The last guy we lost out on was the DE that went to Seattle and the money was the same but he chose Seattle because he felt they were a better team (according to him) and he was right.
Nope, disproven with Mebane above. Quit spin doctoring bull****.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #25
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yeah because the Patriots, Eagles, Vikings and Packers never field competitive teams, Drek.
1. The Pats are the poster child for a masterful GM + franchise QB model in today's NFL. You know, the same model we had when we won our two titles with Bowlen. That doesn't come along very often.

2. How did the Eagles do last year? Or do you think their quick payoff exit the year before was impressive? Not too long before that they actually were a top spending team.

3. The Vikings are in the same group as us. They spend mid-range money and as a result are good for a few years every decade. Just like the Broncos.

4. Where are the Packers on that list? Dead in the middle. And they're the only team go from one franchise QB to another with no gap. Prior to Favre they were looking pretty damn raggedy.

Best of all, the Pats, Vikings, and Packers spend ~$4M more than us (about Mebane's cap hit this season), so have about 33% less cap room than us. There is a gap between the bottom 3rd spenders and the middle 3rd, we're in the bottom 3rd while those guys all that next step up from us.