The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Default Max Starks v Doom

IMO this is the biggest matchup of the day. Is it just me or does Doom look especially nimble and fast this preseason? Starks is coming off an injury to his knee and the Steelers wanted to be able to find a new starter at that LT spot but no players worked out. That tells me Steelers don't think much of him and Starks coming back is more damage control then building the oline they want.

The last time they faced each other Doom was killing him, then he got injured and left the game. Now he has to face Doom in his first game back.

I see 2 sacks for Doom and no way Starks can block him. He may have been able to block him better in 2009, but not now, not coming off a bad injury. Throw in the fact I think Doom looks the best he ever has and it could be a really long day for Starks and Big Ben.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Jetland

it will be an even longer day if the refs choose to call holding....fingers crossed
Old 09-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

For a second I thought it was a new marvel match up. Stark Ironman vs. Von Doom.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'm hoping they move Miller and Dumervil around, so they give their o-line different looks, which right now, the Steeler o-line is a question mark as it is.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
I'm hoping they move Miller and Dumervil around, so they give their o-line different looks, which right now, the Steeler o-line is a question mark as it is.
The RG spot been trouble for them with an injury just like Denver. I think both QBs will see pressure in this game.

But I just think Doom looking so good right now.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetland View Post
it will be an even longer day if the refs choose to call holding....fingers crossed
I had not considered the fact he may get away with some holds if refs don't want to throw a flag. Good point.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Dumervil was playing with a high ankle sprain last year...this year it's all systems go.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I bet we have at least 5 sacks.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

We get to Roth that much Requiem we may really put a hurting on him to start season. Unlike Manning who will just throw it away to avoid hits Roth will hang in and take them.

Could be big for a guy like Wolfe with a high motor. Roth moves to avoid the speed guys, holds ball, lets a player like Wolfe come eat him up.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

It is going to be all about Von Miller, I am guessing they will keep a RB in to help out Starks agains Dumervil a lot, so Miller has to be able to take the matchups he gets and just pummel the snot out of Roethlisberger.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
For a second I thought it was a new marvel match up. Stark Ironman vs. Von Doom.
I did too.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #12
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Uh, not so sure about that. I'm loving a healthy Doom and Miller but Big Ben is damn crafty in the pocket and he often can still complete a pass or get rid of the ball with a defender hanging on him.

I'll say 2, maybe 3 sacks this week.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Uh, not so sure about that. I'm loving a healthy Doom and Miller but Big Ben is damn crafty in the pocket and he often can still complete a pass or get rid of the ball with a defender hanging on him.

I'll say 2, maybe 3 sacks this week.
He does shrug off 1-2 sacks a game. But the fact he will hang in there is going to kill him eventually. Broncos need to keep hustling and I think they get a ton of shots on roth. Regardless of how tough you are passes thrown while getting hit lead to turnovers.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #14
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

I'm thinking the Steelers will attempt to run the ball quite a bit. Hopefully the Broncos D will be up to the task, and create plenty 3rd down opportunities for sacks. Don't forget Ayers, who had 2 sacks against Starks last year.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #15
DENVERDUI55

I think the sacks will need to come from the other side. I expect Starks to get a lot of help there and the steelers to try and pound the ball on the ground.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #16
jutang
Perennial Pro-bowler

Only chance the Steelers have is to run out the clock, score enough, and keep Manning from lighting them up and play right into denver's defensive strength.

Replacement refs worry me a lot with subjective calls on holding and pass interference.
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #17
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutang View Post
Only chance the Steelers have is to run out the clock, score enough, and keep Manning from lighting them up and play right into denver's defensive strength.

Replacement refs worry me a lot with subjective calls on holding and pass interference.
I had a dream last night that we were up 10-9 late in the 3rd Q when Manning went long to Thomas and the refs called PI at the 1. Willis pounded it in to go up by 8 heading into the 4th.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #18
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Doom has looked good this preseason, but Von is the guy the Steelers need to key on

He is gonna chop ***** Sunday night if our offense can put up some points and force the issue with Pitt
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #19
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

our D line is even better than the last time we met...................bring it
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #20
Great13
He's Great!

Here we go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
our D line is even better than the last time we met...................bring it
This.
Great13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:42 PM   #21
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
He does shrug off 1-2 sacks a game. But the fact he will hang in there is going to kill him eventually. Broncos need to keep hustling and I think they get a ton of shots on roth. Regardless of how tough you are passes thrown while getting hit lead to turnovers.
True. There will be a few times this game that you would think we would have had a sack but it didn't materialize because Ben made something out of nothing. He's been to consistent at that to not expect it to happen.

I'm really looking forward to that trench match between Warren and Pouncey. I know it sucked to lose Bunkley he was a very solid DT but Warren is looking very strong out there. He does, when healthy, have that extra something over Bunkley. I think he matches up well with Pouncey. That will be so key in this game. If we can plug up that middle some on the run game and not give Ben those escape routes up the middle, I think Doom and Miller will get to Ben 3 or 4 times. If we can't hold that middle and Ben can slide up to avoid the side rush from Miller/Doom, that's going to hurt.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:10 AM   #22
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Doggcow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #23
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Don't be surprised if its 2 sacks a peice for Von, Doom and Wolfe .. maybe Malik or Ty also get in on the action for a sack as well. 7 sacks has a nice odd number ring to it and sounds about right to me ... Give Big Ben the willies all night from the first drive onward, and blast him to the turf another 5 of 6 extra times after forcing him to throw early and making him and the rest of the Steeler's so glad to get back on that plane and reset their season to start next weekend.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:04 AM   #24
dictionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
Don't be surprised if its 2 sacks a peice for Von, Doom and Wolfe .. maybe Malik or Ty also get in on the action for a sack as well. 7 sacks has a nice odd number ring to it and sounds about right to me ... Give Big Ben the willies all night from the first drive onward, and blast him to the turf another 5 of 6 extra times after forcing him to throw early and making him and the rest of the Steeler's so glad to get back on that plane and reset their season to start next weekend.
More or less my thought as well. With a need to double team either Doom or Von, that leaves Warren and Wolfe who both look to be in top form to collapse up into a pocket. Stillers only have so many hands and feet to plug the holes on the OL and I am sure the Del Rio will find them quickly and then exploit them.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:19 AM   #25
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

I'm so stoked about our pass rush and DL with Warren/Wolfe in there.

Can't wait to see how our offense stretches the field using DT, Decker/Tamme.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote