The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
FantomForce
Long live the Mane!

The Incredible BULK!

Default Replacement Refs (M)

I'm just curios about how the Omane feels about the replacement refs. As someone who played one year of junior college I was so overwhelmed by the speed of the game from the high school level. That was just JC ball, I can't imagine what D1 speed would be like. Then you have the speed of the NFL, it is unreal. These guys have been picked up from who knows where, not a lot of experience and have seemed to have quite a few hiccups already. Will they change the outcome of the games? Hopefully this can be resolved soon
FantomForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
FantomForce
Long live the Mane!

The Incredible BULK!

Default Replacement Refs

I'm just curios about how the Omane feels about the replacement refs. As someone who played one year of junior college I was so overwhelmed by the speed of the game from the high school level. That was just JC ball, I can't imagine what D1 speed would be like. Then you have the speed of the NFL, it is unreal. These guys have been picked up from who knows where, not a lot of experience and have seemed to have quite a few hiccups already. Will they change the outcome of the games? Hopefully this can be resolved soon
FantomForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

I don't see the NFL backing down, from the referee union. The league is in a position of strength. The games are being played, and fans are happy. It would take a slew of screwups, to change that dynamic...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
I don't see the NFL backing down, from the referee union. The league is in a position of strength. The games are being played, and fans are happy. It would take a slew of screwups, to change that dynamic...
i just think its the wrong battle to pick. Its not like they are asking for million dollar salaries. And these refs have been ****. Why put your product at risk
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

You should have let me sleep!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

They're terrible. And the payoff isn't worth the fallout the NFL is taking. You're talking about a very small group of NFL employees who have a dangerous and important role. I am not sure why they are coming so hard after these guys, but it makes the NFL look cheap to the point being irresponsible.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
lolcopter

It's like Troy Aikmen said while announcing a preseason game a couple weeks ago, NFL fans get to watch the world's best football players every week, they deserve to have the best officiating crews also

These replacement guys are garbage
Old 09-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

My biggest issue is that these refs are refs who don't have experience at a higher level of the game. Some of these guys are coming from High School or lower levels. Some from D2.

I don't know why the NFL couldn't get refs from some D1, some Pro (indoor, Canada), and then some D2. These guys just don't seem to be able to keep up with the pace of play. They can't seem to determine whether its holding or not or even when its important to call holding. There's going to be a lot more fighting this year amongst teams as players get away with more "illegal" use of hands and bodies.

I would like to see a change in the review challenges to allow a challenge on anything with the coach getting two challenges and not losing those challenges until the first one is denied. I think PI needs to be challengeable.

All that being said, I'm fine with the league not dealing with the refs. They may deserve better pay, but these guys basically work one game a week for 16 weeks and make somewhere between $80k and $150k doing it. Its the best part time job I can think of being involved in a great sport. Also, the usual refs also screw up.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post

All that being said, I'm fine with the league not dealing with the refs. They may deserve better pay, but these guys basically work one game a week for 16 weeks and make somewhere between $80k and $150k doing it. Its the best part time job I can think of being involved in a great sport. Also, the usual refs also screw up.

C'mon now, that's like saying the players only work 16 weeks out of the year.

The refs had to maintain their physical fitness as well as stay up to date on new rules and I'm sure they have conferences to attend along with other crap. It certainly isnt an easy job, and those numbers are minuscule compared to other $$$ that get thrown around in this league (even with the new rookie pay scale)
Old 09-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Meh, the level of officiating will definitely suffer, you just hope the mistakes even out in the end.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Not on the scale we've seen this preseason. Not even close.

When the highest compliment that the Ginger Hammer could dole out was that these replacements "will do a credible job," you know you're in trouble. When they go out and **** all over themselves, like they did in the SF/Denver game and the NE/Giants game, to the point where "credible" doesn't even enter the equation, you've got massive problems and the issue needs to be fixed.

If they are given a whole season, I see no way that the lack of seasoned NFL officials doesn't change the outcome of several contests throughout the year.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
C'mon now, that's like saying the players only work 16 weeks out of the year.

The refs had to maintain their physical fitness as well as stay up to date on new rules and I'm sure they have conferences to attend along with other crap. It certainly isnt an easy job, and those numbers are minuscule compared to other $$$ that get thrown around in this league (even with the new rookie pay scale)
They do have to attend meetings after each game. The ref team goes over game film and all their blatant mistakes. Evaluate their stinking up the field.

The scrub refs will have plenty to watch, with multiple opportunities to mumble the word "oops"
Old 09-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #12
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler
Default Replacement Refs

Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #13
DenverBroncosJM
Post here Vine

If my math is not completely wrong P. Manning will make more this year than the cost of having the real refs for the entire season.

Thats with the new deal they are asking for...that seems wrong to me and they should be paid
DenverBroncosJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #14
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Not on the scale we've seen this preseason. Not even close.

When the highest compliment that the Ginger Hammer could dole out was that these replacements "will do a credible job," you know you're in trouble. When they go out and **** all over themselves, like they did in the SF/Denver game and the NE/Giants game, to the point where "credible" doesn't even enter the equation, you've got massive problems and the issue needs to be fixed.

If they are given a whole season, I see no way that the lack of seasoned NFL officials doesn't change the outcome of several contests throughout the year.

Yep. I think the regular refs know you can't bring the ball out to the 20 if the punt was downed at the 4 yard line.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #15
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

If the difference really does amount to the less than $100K per owner per year figure that I've seen thrown around, it's ridiculous that it's gotten this far. That's a rounding error for those guys.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #16
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBroncosJM View Post
If my math is not completely wrong P. Manning will make more this year than the cost of having the real refs for the entire season.

Thats with the new deal they are asking for...that seems wrong to me and they should be paid
I don't know about all the arguments of each side, but I think it has to do with more than a seasons pay. More like a life's worth of pension
Old 09-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #17
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
My biggest issue is that these refs are refs who don't have experience at a higher level of the game. Some of these guys are coming from High School or lower levels. Some from D2.

I don't know why the NFL couldn't get refs from some D1, some Pro (indoor, Canada), and then some D2. These guys just don't seem to be able to keep up with the pace of play. They can't seem to determine whether its holding or not or even when its important to call holding. There's going to be a lot more fighting this year amongst teams as players get away with more "illegal" use of hands and bodies.

I would like to see a change in the review challenges to allow a challenge on anything with the coach getting two challenges and not losing those challenges until the first one is denied. I think PI needs to be challengeable.

If all the refs are making is 80k a year, they are woefully underpaid.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #18
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
If the difference really does amount to the less than $100K per owner per year figure that I've seen thrown around, it's ridiculous that it's gotten this far. That's a rounding error for those guys.
I've seen that the issue is $70million over the next 5 years.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #19
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
If all the refs are making is 80k a year, they are woefully underpaid.
Thats what they make, but really they only have to put in about 10 hours of work per week. I would love to pick up a part time job that paid that.

I do ultimately agree that these guys are underpaid and the replacements are absolutely horrid. I think the refs should get full benefits from the NFL, which is, I believe one of the issues.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #20
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

meh, every team will deal with the same issues.

Im with the "refs will get better every day" crew
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #21
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
I've seen that the issue is $70million over the next 5 years.
works out to essentially $400K per year, per owner
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #22
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Anyone catch this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantomForce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyama View Post
Old 09-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #23
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

So it seems you guys are of the same person. Mod, can we check out Fantom FOrce and Houshyama's IP?

3 threads all the same and yes Stout, I did notice and couldnt tell if he was mocking FantomForce but it is exactly the same post.

Classic! Did one get banned and created another account?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #24
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

So are you FantomForce? Same exact thread, different name.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #25
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
They do have to attend meetings after each game. The ref team goes over game film and all their blatant mistakes. Evaluate their stinking up the field.

The scrub refs will have plenty to watch, with multiple opportunities to mumble the word "oops"
Well, then that one day job is now a 3 day job as I suspect it takes 2 days to cover all the **** up calls in the conference room.