The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: In Your Opinion Who's The Greatest Quarterback Of All Time?
John Elway 25 53.19%
Johnny Unitas 4 8.51%
Dan Marino 1 2.13%
Joe Montana 2 4.26%
Peyton Manning 9 19.15%
Sammy Baugh 0 0%
Tom Brady 1 2.13%
Ricky Stanzi - Brodie Croyle 2 4.26%
Otto Graham 3 6.38%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default OT: Patriots owner Robert Kraft: "Gisele's husband is a better quarterback than Hanna Montana"

"I think that Tommy, with all due respect, is better than Joe Montana," Patriots owner Robert Kraft said. "I know that's a leap, but I really think he might already be the best of all time. I watch how involved he is, how driven he is. He's like (Bill) Belichick, he's into the details. And he's got a skill that makes him so special, he can process all of it so quickly. ... And then, he's just got that quality. Certain people have that sincerity. He's a very genuine guy. People can relate to him. People can trust him."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...an-joe-montana

Bobbys acting skills are on par with his ability to evaluate talent.

video platform
video management
video solutions
video player

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Why do people tag football threads with "OT"?
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

I love Elway, but my unbiased answer would be Peyton Manning. He changed the game, and no one prepares and works as hard as him.
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson View Post
I love Elway, but my unbiased answer would be Peyton Manning. He changed the game, and no one prepares and works as hard as him.
Peyton plays in a ridiculous era for rules. the rules so overwhelming favor the offensive passing game over defense that you really can't compare him to guys who played 20 or more years ago. same with Brady. same with Brees.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
Peyton plays in a ridiculous era for rules. the rules so overwhelming favor the offensive passing game over defense that you really can't compare him to guys who played 20 or more years ago. same with Brady. same with Brees.
Manning's skill and play changed the game and the rules, and made the league a QB friendly league. He is the one that changed the league to a more passing league than running the ball. It is unfortunate he doesn't have more rings to show for it, but he is the greatest QB of all time in my books.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:46 PM   #6
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

So Brady is better than Montana because people trust him?

Err...

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

And Tom Brady & Drew Brees shouldn't even be mentioned in your post. It took those guys atleast a few years to start playing at an all star level. Manning was a star from the get go.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:12 AM   #8
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson View Post
Manning's skill and play changed the game and the rules, and made the league a QB friendly league. He is the one that changed the league to a more passing league than running the ball. It is unfortunate he doesn't have more rings to show for it, but he is the greatest QB of all time in my books.
that's nonsense. are you under 30?

ever heard of Marino, Elway, and Kelly? those guys did more to change the league from "3 yards and a cloud of dust" to a passing league than Brady, Brees, or Manning. they did it in an era where you could still hit the QB and cover the receivers without drawing tacky-tack flags on every bit of incidental contact too.

and long before those 3, Unitas was the one who showed how to win in the NFL with the passing game.

you also had guys like Fouts, Moon, and Favre throwing the ball around like there was no tomorrow.

forget the ESPN hype. Manning and Brady and Brees are the beneficiaries of the rule changes, not the reason for them.

Last edited by Gort; 08-31-2012 at 12:14 AM..
Old 08-31-2012, 12:14 AM   #9
Agamemnon

Jim Kelly.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:18 AM   #10
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Jim Kelly.
he's in the HOF. you knew that, right? he was part of what was likely the best QB class in draft history. he took his team to back-to-back-to-back-to-back SBs running a no huddle offense and flinging the ball around like a madman in an era when football was still a physical game. he's certainly not the greatest of all time, but guys like him helped change the game so that guys like Manning could excel in this era.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:34 AM   #11
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
that's nonsense. are you under 30?

ever heard of Marino, Elway, and Kelly? those guys did more to change the league from "3 yards and a cloud of dust" to a passing league than Brady, Brees, or Manning. they did it in an era where you could still hit the QB and cover the receivers without drawing tacky-tack flags on every bit of incidental contact too.

and long before those 3, Unitas was the one who showed how to win in the NFL with the passing game.

you also had guys like Fouts, Moon, and Favre throwing the ball around like there was no tomorrow.

forget the ESPN hype. Manning and Brady and Brees are the beneficiaries of the rule changes, not the reason for them.
You mention some great points. Marino, Kelly, Elway, and Unitas are great QBs no doubt. I agree that the rules were different 20 years ago and weren't friendly to QBs like it is nowadays, but Manning has probably the best resume out of any QB that has played this game: 11 of 13 seasons with 4,000 + yards, 10 + wins in 11 of 13 seasons, career completion % of 65, career passer rating of 94.9, and numerous NFL records. He is the most prepared player in this league, and is a coach/field general on the field. I'm most definitely sure if he had some good defenses on his team he would have atleast 2 more rings.

I hated his guts when he was a colt simply because he kicked our ass all the time, but am I glad he's on our side now.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:37 AM   #12
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
he's certainly not the greatest of all time, but guys like him helped change the game so that guys like Manning could excel in this era.
Are you serious? Manning would've excelled in any era since the existance of the NFL.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:51 AM   #13
lolcopter

Right now John Elway

But it will be Peyton Manning after he wins three Super Bowls in Denver
Old 08-31-2012, 09:24 AM   #14
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

In all honesty if Elway, Marino and Kelly played in Goodell's NFL (protecting the quarterback and rules that favor the passing game) imagine the numbers that they would put up.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:50 AM   #15
Blart
I'm gay for the Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
all @ same time

If they didn't play during the same era, they're playing different games.
Blart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:53 AM   #16
Agamemnon

Quote:
he's in the HOF. you knew that, right? he was part of what was likely the best QB class in draft history. he took his team to back-to-back-to-back-to-back SBs running a no huddle offense and flinging the ball around like a madman in an era when football was still a physical game. he's certainly not the greatest of all time, but guys like him helped change the game so that guys like Manning could excel in this era.
It was a joke. Jesus. I was making reference to his attitude towards himself where he clearly thought he was the greatest ever back then. It was always funny to me and still is.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:54 AM   #17
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
In all honesty if Elway, Marino and Kelly played in Goodell's NFL (protecting the quarterback and rules that favor the passing game) imagine the numbers that they would put up.
I'm going to guess they would look a lot like the numbers Manning, Brady, and Brees have put up.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:14 AM   #18
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
It was a joke. Jesus. I was making reference to his attitude towards himself where he clearly thought he was the greatest ever back then. It was always funny to me and still is.
i went to college in western PA for a couple of years back in those days. i knew a guy who grew up with Kelly. said he was a good guy and still kept in touch with everyone, even after moving onto the NFL. alot of good NFL QBs have come from that part of the world. Namath. Kelly. Marino. Montana. Unitas. i'm not from there, but those folks live and breathe football every bit as much as the people in Texas.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:19 AM   #19
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
i went to college in western PA for a couple of years back in those days. i knew a guy who grew up with Kelly. said he was a good guy and still kept in touch with everyone, even after moving onto the NFL. alot of good NFL QBs have come from that part of the world. Namath. Kelly. Marino. Montana. Unitas. i'm not from there, but those folks live and breathe football every bit as much as the people in Texas.
Yah, West PA is known for breeding good football players and PSU was the main beneficiary for many years.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #20
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Otto Graham.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #21
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Why do people tag football threads with "OT"?
Because you touch yourself at night.
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #22
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by StugotsIII View Post
Because you touch yourself at night.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #23
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin' Bronco View Post
Otto Graham.
How did you make it to Broncos game safely back in the day with all those dinosaurs roaming around?
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:51 PM   #24
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
How did you make it to Broncos game safely back in the day with all those dinosaurs roaming around?
Heh, I went off stats...but you could go either way between him and Elway.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #25
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin' Bronco View Post
Heh, I went off stats...but you could go either way between him and Elway.
I have to read up on him, don't know much about him and obviously never got to see him play.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote