The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Fight_On!

Default Food for thought on Manning and the Broncos....

13 years as a Colt, Manning went the SB twice and won once. He had a better supporting cast in Indy than he does in Den. What are the odds the Broncos go win the Super Bowl, let alone go to one in the 3-4 years(max 5)he plays in Den. NFL history is not on Denver's side, how many Super Bowl winning QB's have gone to another team and won the SB with their new team? Zero. This is not "Bronco Bashing" just food for thought.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
swaiy

Might as well forfeit the games and not try because the statistics say it's improbable.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I think you're wrong in that the Colts had better surrounding talent. We have a better defense, line and run game, and I expect Manning to make Decker/Thomas/Dreesen etc. look like Wayne/Harrison/Clark etc.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

That may be true, but there were no other QB options besides Tebow, or bottoming out for whoever the next college stud is.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

8-8 with TT who I liked but coulnd't pass consistently ......then adding one of the greatest passers of all time..............I LIKE OUR ODDS !
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
Fight_On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
That may be true, but there were no other QB options besides Tebow, or bottoming out for whoever the next college stud is.
I believe that's what Elway was thinking. But Den is a young team, why not develope for the future instead of wanting to win it it all now?
Old 08-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #7
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

what are the odds that any team wins a superbowl? all things being equal, it averages 1:32, right? It's pretty steep to begin with.

What are the odds that Manning can win a superbowl in a given season? Based on past history, it's 1:13. Therefore the odds of Denver winning a superbowl within the next 3 years is 3:13, or just shy of 25%.

I'll take those odds, especially given the 0:infinity odds facing the raiders.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Be gone troll!

All of these QB's had injury-durability-age concerns when acquired by their new teams.....

1972 - The Miami Dolphins pay $100 waiver wire fee to acquire creaky old QB Earl Morrall, who takes over after starter Bob Griese goes down with injury, and goes 11-0 (including playoffs) as their starter preserving the only undefeated season in NFL history

1977 - The Denver Broncos acquired creaky old QB Craig Morton via trade from the NY Giants...he leads them to AFC title, losing in SB to Dallas 27-10. Broncos go 12-2, 10-6, 10-6, 8-8, and 10-6 with him over the course of his career, winning AFC west twice, making playoffs 3 times...narrowly missing out on them the last week in '81

1997 - The Falcons acquire creaky old QB Chris Chandler who in his 2nd season with them leads the Falcons to the NFC title over creaky old QB Randall Cunningham who led the Vikes to a 15-1 season. Chandler went on to lose SB to creaky old John Elway

2005 - The Arizona Cardinals acquired creaky old FA QB Kurt Warner and he leads them to playoffs twice, winning NFC conferencere championship in 2008, losing SB to Steelers 27-23 on a last minute TD.

2009 - The Minnesota Vikings acquired creaky old QB Brett Favre, and he leads them to NFC conference title bout, losing in OT to eventual SB champion New Orleans.

add in that creaky old QB Joe Montana led KC to AFCCG appearance in his 2nd year there, and that creaky old QB Warren Moon took Minnesota to playoffs his first year

That's 9 examples of where signing an older guy to QB your team has gotten those teams to the playoffs, with 78% of them making it to conference title game, and 44% of them making it to the SB...don't recall any team winning the SB without making it there first.

sure only Elway won a title after age 36...but then again he's probably the only one who could compare to Manning in ability to read a defense, perhaps you could also say Warner (he of the last minute loss in SB)

Last edited by errand; 08-30-2012 at 05:37 PM..
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #9
Fight_On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
what are the odds that any team wins a superbowl? all things being equal, it averages 1:32, right? It's pretty steep to begin with.

What are the odds that Manning can win a superbowl in a given season? Based on past history, it's 1:13. Therefore the odds of Denver winning a superbowl within the next 3 years is 3:13, or just shy of 25%.

I'll take those odds, especially given the 0:infinity odds facing the raiders.
Well, a team with an elite QB and a top 10 D has far better odds than an average team. Maybe Manning can buck history and be the 1st SB winning QB to win the SB with a different team. At the moment, historical odds are stacked against Manning and the Broncos.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
Fight_On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Be gone troll!

All of these QB's had injury-durability-age concerns when acquired by their new teams.....

1972 - The Miami Dolphins pay $100 waiver wire fee to acquire creaky old QB Earl Morrall, who takes over after starter Bob Griese goes down with injury, and goes 11-0 (including playoffs) as their starter preserving the only undefeated season in NFL history

1977 - The Denver Broncos acquired creaky old QB Craig Morton via trade from the NY Giants...he leads them to AFC title, losing in SB to Dallas 27-10. Broncos go 12-2, 10-6, 10-6, 8-8, and 10-6 with him over the course of his career, winning AFC west twice, making playoffs 3 times...narrowly missing out on them the last week in '81

1997 - The Falcons acquire creaky old QB Chris Chandler who in his 2nd season with them leads the Falcons to the NFC title over creaky old QB Randall Cunningham who led the Vikes to a 15-1 season. Chandler went on to lose SB to creaky old John Elway

2005 - The Arizona Cardinals acquired creaky old FA QB Kurt Warner and he leads them to playoffs twice, winning NFC conferencere championship in 2008, losing SB to Steelers 27-23 on a last minute TD.

2009 - The Minnesota Vikings acquired creaky old QB Brett Favre, and he leads them to NFC conference title bout, losing in OT to eventual SB champion New Orleans.

add in that creaky old QB Joe Montana led KC to AFCCG appearance in his 2nd year there, and that creaky old QB Warren Moon took Minnesota to playoffs his first year

That's 8 examples of where signing an older guy to QB your team has gotten those teams to the playoffs, with 75% of them making it to conference title game, and 50% of them making it to the SB...don't recall any team winning the SB without making it there first.

sure only Elway won a title after age 36...but then again he's probably the only one who could compare to Manning in ability to read a defense, perhaps you could also say Warner (he of the last minute loss in SB)
I am refering to SB winning QB's...I totally forgot about Warner, he his the one QB that came pretty damn close.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
LonghornBronco
Ring of Famer

Hook'em Horns

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Dumb ass Troll GTFO!
LonghornBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #12
Fight_On!

People....this is not trolling or Bronco bashing....just food for thought.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #13
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight_On! View Post
I am refering to SB winning QB's...I totally forgot about Warner, he his the one QB that came pretty damn close.
I know...was just pointing out that signing an older QB isn't the albatross some fools on here think it is....I noticed that the better the QB, the teams that signed them were closer to the end result of winning a title.

And we got Peyton Manning!

On edit : Nice curse word filter there TJ...well played...

Last edited by errand; 08-30-2012 at 05:58 PM..
Old 08-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #14
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
People....this is not trolling or Bronco bashing....just food for thought.

Was just kidding about the trolling part...we know who the real trolls are on here.....but then again you're a non-Broncos fan on a Broncos message casting doubting Thomas aspersions against the Broncos
Old 08-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #15
Fight_On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
I know...was just pointing out that signing an older QB isn't the albatross some fools on here think it is....I noticed that the better the QB, the teams that signed them were closer to the end result of winning a title.

And we got Peyton I'd like to crawl in the same snuggie with!n@ Manning!
Well, Manning can't solve all of Broncos problem.....but having Manning gives Den better odds than having Tebow....and I believe is what Elway is thinking.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #16
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Things that are more enjoyable than this thread:

1. A good BM
2. A throat punch
3. Pulling nose hairs out with tweezers
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #17
Bacchus

Quote:
13 years as a Colt, Manning went the SB twice and won once. He had a better supporting cast in Indy than he does in Den. What are the odds the Broncos go win the Super Bowl, let alone go to one in the 3-4 years(max 5)he plays in Den. NFL history is not on Denver's side, how many Super Bowl winning QB's have gone to another team and won the SB with their new team? Zero. This is not "Bronco Bashing" just food for thought.
You're right, I thought the Broncos would for sure go to the SB this year when they signed Manning. I now think it is only a 90% probablility. Sorry to be such a debbie downer
Old 08-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #18
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Quote:
That "supporting cast" won 2 games last year, enough with this already

The Colts sucked, he single handily carried them on his back every year
Before he even got hurt Ray Lewis said the Colts without him were a "very below average team"

This year he will have the best defense of his career along with the best running game since the Edge days

We may not win the superbowl, but at least with him we have a legit shot
That is more than most teams can say
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #19
Fight_On!

Manning was brought in for than a legit shot to win as much as Montana was brought in for the Chiefs.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #20
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Manning was brought in for than a legit shot to win as much as Montana was brought in for the Chiefs.
So we are going to the AFC championship game?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #21
Fight_On!

This is not about just making it to the AFC championship but winning the SB
Old 08-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #22
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
This is not about just making it to the AFC championship but winning the SB
Food for thought, no team as ever made it to the SB without first making it to the championship game.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #23
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

He's convinced me! Why even try to win? We should hide under our beds and drink our pee.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #24
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona

OP doesn't watch football.
Colts have a better supporting cast??
Please explain that one.
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #25
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex Gunmetal View Post
OP doesn't watch football.
Colts have a better supporting cast??
Please explain that one.
He doesn't need to. He's right. It's not like Manning has broken any records or precedents. It's not like he's deviated from the norm toward the exceptional.

Come. Sit with me in fear under this bed. We shall feast on fear, hopelessness and urine.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote