The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What's your take on Knowshon?
I am a "type 1" maner 15 11.54%
I am a "type 2" maner 83 63.85%
I am a "type 3" maner 32 24.62%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
Ronnie Tsunami

Default Mane Pulse: Should Knowshon Make The Team?

Discuss. I believe there are three types of people on the mane.

The first thinks that Slowshon isn't worth the football he fumbles. They think that despite his less-than-$900,000 salary this year, he should be cut in favor of a more promising back such as Jeremiah Johnson. He can't contribute on special teams and he has no hope. Might as well cut him, there is no optimism here. Slowshon will never be more than an injury prone 3rd down back. Cut. Our. Losses.

The second thinks that the jury is still out on Slowshon, even though they have a suspicion he will never be anything more than a backup. They believe he should be kept on the roster at all costs primarily due to his low salary and a few hopeful bursts of talent every few snaps. They remember that, just plays before his season ending injury last year, he actually shook off and then hurdled a defender en route to a surprisingly large gain. Last week, they saw his brutal stiff arm against a 49er rookie, and hope to keep him around. They think he is worth $900,000.

The third, frankly, has moved on. DGAF. If he makes the team, "good for him." If he gets cut, "Whatever, the bust sucked anyway."

I find myself partial to the 2nd option. I think he's too cheap to let go, and while I am a realist, and understand he is a long shot to be anything substantial, we should use him as a change of pace, 100 carry type guy. Good check down option for '12, even if takes touches away from Jeremiah.

Last edited by Ronnie Tsunami; 08-29-2012 at 07:35 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I see no reasonto. ut him if he's the 2nd or 3rd best back on the team. He is what he is. Play'em a little and get him in space so his lack of vision less of a problem. That means throw him the ball and find ways to get said space.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

He provides a good depth RB. If you keep 4, he is better than the alternative. I think he can prove more useful then Ball.
Ray Finkle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #4
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think you have to keep him as the 3rd down back.

If Hillman had been healthy through camp and gotten some more reps with the first team unit then I could see Knowshon being expendable for sure, but there's a question mark there.

He's been a huge disappointment given we spent the twelfth overall pick on him, but he still has some ability as a runner and has good hands and pass protects well.

I won't lose any sleep if we ditch him all the same.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

He should be traded to the Lions for a draft pick or LB depth.
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

If he can't contribute on special teams, get.him.out. I don't believe that he is the future of the Broncos running game. Put me in the Type 1 category...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Still of the opinion that when healthy, he has the opportunity to be GREAT in space. It seems, imo, that a LOT of his carries start with line protection problems (people in the backfield as soon as he touches the ball, poor blocking, etc), and I think that having a QB who can make adjustments on the fly will really help his style of running.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
ozomulsion
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The ladies man.

What about that ill advised swing pass that left him to have to break away from 2 defenders behind the line of scrimmage, and some how turned it into a first down. If Hillman had done that OMG....The whole orangemane would be freaking out about how great he is. Fact is, he's averaged over 10 YPR over his career, and not many RBs in the NFL can claim that.
ozomulsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozomulsion View Post
What about that ill advised swing pass that left him to have to break away from 2 defenders behind the line of scrimmage, and some how turned it into a first down. If Hillman had done that OMG....The whole orangemane would be freaking out about how great he is. Fact is, he's averaged over 10 YPR over his career, and not many RBs in the NFL can claim that.
I don't disagree entirely, but you don't spend a #12 pick on a guy that can pick up blitzes and perform well with swing passes

eventually he has to, you know...run consistently as well

he isn't just awful, but he's a major disappointment whether it's fair to say or not
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #10
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

A backup who can't stay healthy and doesn't play special teams. Drives drunk with a license plate describing his drunken state. Definitely worth a roster spot.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
I don't disagree entirely, but you don't spend a #12 pick on a guy that can pick up blitzes and perform well with swing passes

eventually he has to, you know...run consistently as well

he isn't just awful, but he's a major disappointment whether it's fair to say or not
He loves the guy let him bask in the glory. Moreno has been a big underachiever and I'm ready to move on. His upside is he is cheap and we might as well roll with him give him his couple catches and carries then when he gets hurt IR him then cut him.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #12
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

You can find better backs on the waiver wire most likely. He just looks so slow I don't get why they drafted him. Rbs should blow you away with talent to get into the first round.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #13
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

the fun part will be having this exact discussion again next year
Old 08-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #14
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Moreno is a decent backup RB. Good pass catcher, decent blocker, and average runner.

You're not going to find that on the waiver wire. The real question is if we cut Moreno do we have anyone better or equivalent to replace him? I don't see it in Jeremiah Johnson, Fanin is injured, and the rest were training camp fodder.

Every year going back a decade we've seen injuries at the RB position so do we really want to be in a situation where Lance Ball is the starting RB if McGahee misses time?

As much as I'm underwhelmed by Moreno, I would start him over Ball.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #15
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

This poll is insufficient.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #16
Stagger Lee

#3 for me. Just don't give a damn about him anymore. Keep him, cut him, whatever. The end result will be about the same, not much help to this offense.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #17
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Karlos Dansby

Type 2 for me.

I don't think Moreno has the physical abilities to become a feature back in the NFL. Add to that his idiotic off field Sauced incident and injury history and I think if we had quality RB depth at all that he would be gone.

That being said, we don't have quality depth and as such Moreno should make the team based on his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and that he is pretty decent in protection. Hillman though talented isn't ready to get significant touches in a game. Ball is the type of grinder/special teamer that you need on a roster, but not a guy you want as a 1A or 1B RB option. As as mentioned earlier everybody else is camp fodder.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #18
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

I've been a fan of Knowshon since he was at Georgia. I think he can excel this year in this offense. No sense in cutting him.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #19
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I've been a fan of Knowshon since he was at Georgia. I think he can excel this year in this offense. No sense in cutting him.
I think he can excel also. But he's definitely not the type of back that can play better than his OL. The interior of the OL really has been a mess and combined with him getting injured too often has really hurt him.

This is pretty much Moreno's final chance though. Hillman was specifically drafted to replace his skillset.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #20
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Well, he's better than Ball.
spdirty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #21
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

There is absolutely no reason to get rid of him this season. He is ideal for this type of offense if we use him in space, and he's excellent at picking up the blitz on 3rd downs. He has earned a roster spot, like it or not.

He will be on this team.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #22
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I am not sure I would say he has earned a spot, I think he will get one because we have no better options.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #23
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

I think we need the depth.

Plus, he's better than Lance Ball. Not by much, but he is better.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #24
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
A backup who can't stay healthy and doesn't play special teams. Drives drunk with a license plate describing his drunken state. Definitely worth a roster spot.
As opposed to his competition for the #3 spot who is a mediocre special teamer, can't break any tackles, fumbles regularly, and is literally worse than Moreno at everything.

And those two (Ball and Moreno) are head and shoulders above the other guys we brought in to compete for the 3rd RB job.

Still think we should move Moreno to slot WR long term though.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #25
Greatspirits
Perennial Pro-bowler

"Little Von!"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trev

Keep him, this league is tough on running backs and you can never have enough of them. Yes he's under-performed but I still think he can be a valuable contributor to this team.
Greatspirits is offline   Reply With Quote