The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default Needs: WLB & RB2

Possibly another WR as well... Maybe Jordan Shipley?

Woodyard at WLB just isn't a playmaker. Need some production there. At least someone that can make an occasional play. RB2 is a big problem right now. Was really hoping to see Hilman be that guy, but he can't get healthy. For a RB that is dependent on speed and elusiveness, a hammy injury can be hugely problematic... Look how many injuries Knowshon has dealt with.

Any teams out there with an abundance of RBs or LBs? Wouldn't be surprised to see the Broncos pick up one of the backs the Seahawks cut.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

I endorse this thread. Would love to see them move Knowshon for a legit starting WR
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll15Hyde View Post
I endorse this thread. Would love to see them move Knowshon for a legit starting WR
Who will give us a "legit starting receiver" for KNowshon?

Plus i dont even think thats near our biggest concern.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Who will give us a "legit starting receiver" for KNowshon?

Plus i dont even think thats near our biggest concern.
Fair points. We would be lucky to get a conditional 4th/5th for Knowshon. I was dreaming out lout a little. LB concerns me more than a 3rd WR
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I doubt Broncos can make any moves that will really help the team at this point. Maybe a journeyman.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post

Woodyard at WLB just isn't a playmaker. Need some production there. At least someone that can make an occasional play. RB2 is a big problem right now. Was really hoping to see Hilman be that guy, but he can't get healthy. For a RB that is dependent on speed and elusiveness, a hammy injury can be hugely problematic... Look how many injuries Knowshon has dealt with.

Any teams out there with an abundance of RBs or LBs? Wouldn't be surprised to see the Broncos pick up one of the backs the Seahawks cut.
Our LB will be a huge liability this year.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
I think the hope is that the offense and pass rush will put other teams in a position where our linebackers do not have to be difference makers - this is a team that is very much geared towards air superiority, not a way of attrition on the ground.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I think the hope is that the offense and pass rush will put other teams in a position where our linebackers do not have to be difference makers - this is a team that is very much geared towards air superiority, not a way of attrition on the ground.
Any coverage requirement by our LB's will trouble. I think Woodyard is not horrid but not great either. Von is a pass rush LB, and Joe Mays can play the run but he also gets caught in coverage.

On D that unit will be a liability at times this season.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post

sky is falling!!

hey, it's a preseason game homey.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
Drunken.Broncoholic

Brady destroyed the defense with TEs. Antonio Gates will be lickin his chops. I'd rather have an extra CB in there than one of these liability LBs.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #11
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I'm more concerned with the defensive line. If they can produce, the LBers will be ok. Remember, Travathen didn't play.

Irving looked fine, sure, he whiffed on a tackle but what LBer doesn't occassionally do that?

I'll answer that for you--every friggen LBer in the NFL has done that at one time or another.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #12
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

At this point, you've pretty much gotta run with the horses you've got.

No team is going to give anything or anyone of significance for Moreno. And at this point, he's going to make the roster by default anyway. The best we can hope for is that Hillman recovers and flashes enough ability to be the no. 2 back by the season opener.

At WLB, I hate to say it, but you've gotta keep D.J. in the loop for the rest of the year. Say he gets an 8 game suspension and the Broncos go 4-4, or 5-3 in that stretch, you still get him back in an attempt to go 10-6 and nab the West or a Wildcard. D.J.'s a jackass, but he's the best WLB on the team. . . That being said, you draft WLB in the first round next year and cut or trade DJ's ass in 2013.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Any coverage requirement by our LB's will trouble. I think Woodyard is not horrid but not great either. Von is a pass rush LB, and Joe Mays can play the run but he also gets caught in coverage.

On D that unit will be a liability at times this season.
Mays is good at dropping deep in the cover 2 type zones. And pretty good in all zone defending. Not good if he has to chase a TE across the field or stay with a rb 1 on 1. Woodyard I think IMO looks sort of lost in zones, seems to be with his guy in man to man situations but then never makes a play. Like he is there but just doesn't stop the completion.

Miller I can't say that I notice that stuff as much. Seems like he is always rushing the passer to me. I know he isn't, but really haven't watched much of him dropping back and covering. Would have to go back and find those plays.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #14
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Seattle is a good team, they are strong getting to the edges. its gonna kill us. as of this moment. I rank needs as WLB, MLB, WR, RB TE.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #15
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
Seattle is a good team, they are strong getting to the edges. its gonna kill us. as of this moment. I rank needs as WLB, MLB, WR, RB TE.
Seattle's first team didn't do much against the Broncos and IF the Broncos hadn't turned the Ball over the score would be much different.

Russell Wilson killed the Broncos period. He pulled some amazing plays out of his ass and consequently made the Broncos pay big time.

Kudos to Wilson. Otherwise, nothing special by the seahawks.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #16
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Why? because numbnuts is sitting more than half the year? If that is you case then your going to be surprised..

We will not be any worse than we were last year, but probably better now that we actually have a decent DL for a change..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #17
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Mays is good at dropping deep in the cover 2 type zones. And pretty good in all zone defending.
lulz
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #18
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Grant or Addai would be nice.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #19
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
I think TE position is not a need otherwise I agree with your list.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #20
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

It's time to bid good-bye to Studs! Lance Ball sucks! For the Broncos to head into the regular season...with him as our #2...says a lot!

Look around and try to find a #2 back as talent deprived as Ball? Good luck!

It doesn't get much better after Ball (oman & Morneo...Yuk!)....and a 3rd round mini-mouse RB who can't get on the field. Sounds like the Colts running game to me. We had better hope that Magahee holds up.

Our LB's....very poor overall. We will have hell all year against the run and covering intermediate routes. This could be a huge issue for us...if teams keep the ball 6:00/7:00 a clip. Mays would not start anywhere else...neither would Woodyard...enough said!

Pleasant surprise....our Dline! They look sharp...and if our secondary can stay healthy, they're not bad either.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #21
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Seattle's first team didn't do much against the Broncos and IF the Broncos hadn't turned the Ball over the score would be much different.

Russell Wilson killed the Broncos period. He pulled some amazing plays out of his ass and consequently made the Broncos pay big time.

Kudos to Wilson. Otherwise, nothing special by the seahawks.
Well said. Seattle is probably a 6 win team. They have a lot of talent...but you can only start 11 guys on each side of the ball. The most important position, QB...they are below average (Flynn). Wilson played exceptional for a rookie against everyone's 2's and 3's....but, he's no better than Flynn.

The difference between Flynn and Peyton? 4-6 games in my opinion.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #22
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
lulz
Whatever I agree he struggles really bad once he is one on one but I think his deep drop in the cover 2 is pretty solid. Still I agree we need a better MLB for the defense to really be good.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #23
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post
It's time to bid good-bye to Studs! Lance Ball sucks! For the Broncos to head into the regular season...with him as our #2...says a lot!

Look around and try to find a #2 back as talent deprived as Ball? Good luck!

It doesn't get much better after Ball (oman & Morneo...Yuk!)....and a 3rd round mini-mouse RB who can't get on the field. Sounds like the Colts running game to me. We had better hope that Magahee holds up.
You can't really make chicken salad out of chicken ****. Aside from Willis, that's basically what we have. Denver invested a top 15 pick at RB. . .a guy that was pretty much the consensus top back coming out and he wasn't nearly as good as he looked coming out of college. In retrospect, running a 4.6 40 at 195 pounds should have been a red flag. The guy just doesn't have the ability to be a featured RB in the NFL, or even the ability to be an effective change of pace co-featured back. So. . . ., they drafted his replacement in the 3rd round this year and the kid can't get on the field. None of this is really Stud's fault. I still think Hillman is going to be the type of explosive change of pace back that this team needs, but he needs to get reps in games and learn how pick up the blitz in passing situations.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #24
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
At this point, you've pretty much gotta run with the horses you've got.

No team is going to give anything or anyone of significance for Moreno. And at this point, he's going to make the roster by default anyway. The best we can hope for is that Hillman recovers and flashes enough ability to be the no. 2 back by the season opener.

At WLB, I hate to say it, but you've gotta keep D.J. in the loop for the rest of the year. Say he gets an 8 game suspension and the Broncos go 4-4, or 5-3 in that stretch, you still get him back in an attempt to go 10-6 and nab the West or a Wildcard. D.J.'s a jackass, but he's the best WLB on the team. . . That being said, you draft WLB in the first round next year and cut or trade DJ's ass in 2013.
DJ is not that great a WLB why is everyone hung up on this guys nuts?

Because he lead the team in Tackles? Anyone ever stop to think they may be running/going at him because they know they are going to get the first down even if he does make that tackle?

In his 8 years in the NFL he has had 4 years where he has had more than 100 total tackles.. and 2 solo over 100..

in 2011 of the top 50 LB's the mid #25 range was 104 tackles..
in 2010 of the top 50 LB's the mid range was 105 tackles..
in 2009 of the top 50 LB's the mid range was 106 tackles..
in 2008 of the top 50 LB's the mid range was 105 tackles..
in 2007 of the top 50 LB's the mid range was 109 tackles..
in 2006 of the top 50 LB's the mid range was 109 tackles..

DJ has averaged 101 over that time frame below number 25 for each year..
If you just look at mid range top 50 average he is below that..

Why is everyone hanging on his nuts..

If he was popping guys at the LOS or making lots of tackles for a loss I could see it..

But I've been watching this skell for most of his career and rarely does he make a tackle that he is not dragging someone down from behind after they have made 2-6 yards..

They thought at one time he could make a great MLB.. Until they found out as mike he could not call plays to the front 7 even in some cases when they called it into him headset.. and was incapable of making adjustments when the O changed something.

Yes he does make loads of tackles, has even led the team a couple of years.. But I suspect that said more about the other LBs than it does about how great he is..

Or better yet just how bad the DL has been..

As for him being ready to play after his 8-10 weeks suspension, he can not practice with the team so will not know any adjustments made in his absence, he will not be in any sort of football shape probably take a couple of more weeks for that to happen..

Now should we cut him now? no need as he does not cost us anything roster spot wise. maybe not even salary (although I seem to remember that the suspended players salary goes to NFL charities) therefore Pat still has to write them a check for it..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #25
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Omon is ineligible for the practice squad, no? Isn't it two years and that's it?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote