The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Default Fifth Down blog Broncos preview

Good read from Andy Benoit.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...eason-preview/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
TonyR
Franchise Poster

...Bronco fans should be a little worried about Willis McGahee’s being their primary ballcarrier. McGahee was excellent as a methodical chains-mover in Denver’s ground-n-pound system last season, but in a single-back offense that features a lot of off-tackle runs, his depleted initial quickness will be an issue.

Fourth-year pro Knowshon Moreno, on the other hand, has great skills for this system. Problem is, he’s coming off an A.C.L. injury and has always been inconsistent. That’s why the Broncos drafted Ronnie Hillman, a small but elusive space-oriented runner, in the third round. Hillman should have no trouble surpassing downhill pounder Lance Ball on the depth chart.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #3
CEH
Ring of Famer

Knowshown is starting to show mental mistakes that are not helping his cause
He was kicked out of a walk through last week when he dropped the ball
Basically a lob pass fox replaced his immediately and studes laid into him
Add in his DUI and he better get his stuff together
CEH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:18 AM   #4
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Demaryius will be more of a possession receiver

McGahee will suffer in single-back offense

Moreno has awesome skills

Walton & Beadles are awesome

D.J. Williams athletic stallion

This guy has missed his calling as a star contributor for the bleacheye report..

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #5
TonyR
Franchise Poster

For now the safeties will be last year’s fourth-round pick Quinton Carter and free-agent pickup Mike Adams. Frankly, it’s not a great tandem. Carter gets exposed in man coverage (which the Broncos asked their safeties to play frequently in sub packages last season) and Adams, though versatile, is ordinary. The Broncos would love to see physical 2011 second-rounder Rahim Moore claim a starting spot, but he’s been up-and-down thus far.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #6
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
This guy has missed his calling as a star contributor for the bleacheye report..
Benoit actually has a pretty good rep. But he's not going to get everything perfect on every team in the league, so yes he's going to miss some.

I actually agree with some of those comments. For example, a perfect world Moreno style would be much better for this offense than McGahee, for example. And D Thomas might be "fast" but he isn't quick/speedy like the typical Indy style receiver. And D.J. is athletic, despite being a bonehead.

Don't bash a guy because you don't like some of his observations and conclusions.

Last edited by TonyR; 08-17-2012 at 06:31 AM..
Old 08-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #7
CEH
Ring of Famer

This years d will be different in scheme to last year with more zone and zone blitzes

Manning could have gone anywhere but I think dt was a huge selling point for him

Last edited by CEH; 08-17-2012 at 06:31 AM..
Old 08-17-2012, 06:47 AM   #8
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

So, we are a much better team than a year ago but are predicted to finish 3rd in the AFCW.

Gold.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
So, we are a much better team than a year ago but are predicted to finish 3rd in the AFCW.

Gold.
Not outlandish if you sit back and think about it. Tougher schedule, improvement from Chargers and Chiefs. Could happen. More likely than many want to accept.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:07 AM   #10
CEH
Ring of Famer

I'm thinking Maghee will go for about 1300-1400 yards this year.
If he can ground and pound last year with 8 men in the box there is no way he sees 8 men this year and we saw last year he still has the speed to break off 50 yard runs

I'm curious of this guy even visitied TC this year or talk with anyone outside NYC
Old 08-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #11
srphoenix
77 rushing touchdowns

The next TD

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:

Gold.
I thought he was a good writer with some accurate views until I saw that. Sorry but there is no way that a team that was 1st last year gets less than a wild card this year with a healthy Peyton Freaking Manning.
srphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #12
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I usually just disregard anybody from the East Coast but this is a pretty solid analysis. He says a lot of things that most Broncos fans don't want to hear. The main thing that has worried me, and that he points out, is his argument that Manning's game is built around timing and precision put together with a core of players over years in Indy. There's no way we can expect him to duplicate that precision in such a short period of time here in Denver. Face it, he's not a scrambling, pull a play out of your ass kind of QB. Still, I think this guy underestimates this defense. I think Wolfe is a bigger addition than they give credit (especially with Von and Dumervil in the mix), and having Del Rio and Fox running the show is going to make a huge difference. Many in the sports media realm might be looking for Manning to make it happen in Denver, when in fact, it might just turn out to be the defense that does the job.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #13
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
I'm thinking Maghee will go for about 1300-1400 yards this year.
If he can ground and pound last year with 8 men in the box there is no way he sees 8 men this year and we saw last year he still has the speed to break off 50 yard runs

I'm curious of this guy even visitied TC this year or talk with anyone outside NYC
If McGahee stays healthy, I also think he will have a tremendous year. And as to the original article, what the hell does and off tackle run play have to do with blazing speed? It is more about the blocking on the edges than blazing speed by the RB. In the end, it is still an interior run play that pops out instead of in. If we have an advantage somewhere on the line, I think getting our mauler RT involved in the run game is one of our pluses.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #14
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Not outlandish if you sit back and think about it. Tougher schedule, improvement from Chargers and Chiefs. Could happen. More likely than many want to accept.
How exactly have the Chargers improved?

Edit: I will give you, the article is not bad really and he makes some valid points. I just don't see how us improving would drop us to third. Schedule or not.

Last edited by Rabb; 08-17-2012 at 07:23 AM..
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #15
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

McGahee runs on 1st down during 1st preseason game:

3 yards, 0 yards, 2 yards

Not a good start. McGahee averaged 4.8 YPC last year. If the Broncos can average over 4.0 YPC this year while having ~488 carries (same as 2006 Colts), we could still be a top 10 rushing team.

The key stat is > 4.0 YPC (anything more is icing on top of the cake).
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #16
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I don't agree with the idea of the Broncos finishing third. I see no support for that guess. I think we've improved quite a bit from last year, especially on defense. While everybody in the media has their tunnel vision on "Manning, Manning, Manning" (just like they did with Tebow last year), it will be the defense that carries the load. Manning will definitely increase the Broncos scoring abilities, which is just what this D needs.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I think these types of predictions are based on a few things, one, Manning's health and the transition to a new team, two, the Broncos schedule and three a defense that doesn't garner a lot of national respect. I'm ok with the Broncos sort of flying under the radar even with Manning. I guess the fourth aspect of these predictions is that many in the national media feel kc and sd are better also.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #18
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
How exactly have the Chargers improved?
That's a fair question. Maybe they haven't. I just pessimistically expect Rivers to rebound from whatever that was we saw from him last year, amont other things. And I agree with you overall in that I don't really agree with picking the Broncos 3rd. But I do thinks it's more possible than most want to admit.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #19
CEH
Ring of Famer

The number of 3 and outs last year was epic
The strain on the defense was epic
All 4 teams will be driven by the qb play
I like our chances
The qb play drives hfa is arrowhead a tuff place to play if cassell is sucking
Not really same with the other venues
I expect Denver to play well at home this year
Old 08-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #20
jutang
Perennial Pro-bowler

For someone who doesn't follow the Broncos closely, Benoit does a pretty good job. He's also writing without orange tinted glasses that 99% of posters here have.

I agree that he is underestimating the defense especially with what we saw against the Bears. 1st preseason game is usually a very vanilla based scheme so I tend to believe that the Broncos out preformed the Bears based off talent level. Again it is only one preseason game, but I think a lot of Maners feel a lot more comfortable with the loss of Bunkley, DJ, and Dawkins.

The interior O-line is the biggest worry for me and Kuper's latest injury is a huge blow. For whatever reason Blake hasn't been very quiet which worries me since none of the backups seem serviceable. I could see Benoit being right about McGahee not being effective in this scheme, but relying on Moreno is like hoping I win the next Powerball. Hillman also having lingering hamstring problem may pose a real problem to the run game this year.

I laughed when I saw Benoit placed us third, but his crappiest writing is still superior to anything at the denverpost.
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #21
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Benoit actually has a pretty good rep. But he's not going to get everything perfect on every team in the league, so yes he's going to miss some.

I actually agree with some of those comments. For example, a perfect world Moreno style would be much better for this offense than McGahee, for example. And D Thomas might be "fast" but he isn't quick/speedy like the typical Indy style receiver. And D.J. is athletic, despite being a bonehead.

Don't bash a guy because you don't like some of his observations and conclusions.
Isnt that what we are supposed to do? If you think a guy is way off target, a bashing is a normal response.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #22
dictionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I usually just disregard anybody from the East Coast but this is a pretty solid analysis. He says a lot of things that most Broncos fans don't want to hear. The main thing that has worried me, and that he points out, is his argument that Manning's game is built around timing and precision put together with a core of players over years in Indy. There's no way we can expect him to duplicate that precision in such a short period of time here in Denver. Face it, he's not a scrambling, pull a play out of your ass kind of QB. Still, I think this guy underestimates this defense. I think Wolfe is a bigger addition than they give credit (especially with Von and Dumervil in the mix), and having Del Rio and Fox running the show is going to make a huge difference. Many in the sports media realm might be looking for Manning to make it happen in Denver, when in fact, it might just turn out to be the defense that does the job.
Your assessment pretty much sums up how I feel about the team. I am amped up about the D and cautiously optimistic about the offense. Manning is just extra whipped cream to the Sundae.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #23
Bacchus

Quote:
I thought it was a good article. I did disagree with this

"Thomas, despite what he showed in the playoff win over Pittsburgh, is not a prototypical playmaker. His fairly ordinary acceleration and top-end speed will make him more of a possession target in the long run."

Thomas is ppretty explosive after the catch and has great top-end speed. Where he is lacking is his route running , which we all know is his big issue especially in this offense.

I also disagree with his 3rd place finish prediction.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #24
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

McGahee, Omon, Hillman, Ball.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #25
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
McGahee, Omon, Hillman, Ball.
I think you might be right. Moreno is cheap this year but his salary for 2013 is over $5 million. They might look at it like he is not going to be here after this year anyway so lets keep Omon. Also there should be caution regarding Omon. He is 27 and has already washed out of 4 NFL teams.