The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default Torn Labrum?

This is actually a football thread, so it's on topic.

My son is at his school's training camp and they decided to try him as a punt protector (6'4" 340lbs - starting Right Guard). Anyway, an idiot freshman didn't hear the words "walk through" and decided to spear my boy right on the shoulder socket with the crown of his helmet (bad technique, right?).

Anyway, he is now diagnosed with a minor tear of the Labrum and they are going to rest him for two weeks then see how it goes. They are ordering him a really good athletic shoulder brace and are giving him great care. However, I was just interested in how this has worked out for others.

So, I know there are many different type of tears (I believe his is in the front of the socket), and also varying severities, but I thought I would ask about how others did with this. So, if you have had such an injury how did it go for you? Were you able to return to action pretty quickly? Did you eventually have surgery, or did yours repair itself?

He is planning on playing this season, and is trying to get ready for the season opener in three weeks, but I thought I would get an idea of what he is in for.

Thanks in advance.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Ouch. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope he makes a full recovery.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
huh??
Back in the 5280!

...pretty good at lurking.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Wow. That sucks. I don't know about your injury questions, but best of luck to your son.
huh?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I've had it as an adult. The surgery was honestly pretty brutal - way worse than, say, an ACL surgery (I've had two). My problem, prior to surgery, was with pain and movement. The pain could easily be fixed with a cortisone shot. The movement, not so much. I wouldn't think he would need as much flexibility, playing the OL. I would tell him to gut it out, unless the doctor feels he could do permanent damage.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Shoulder injuries suck. I have a torn rotator cuff and the surgeon says make surgery your last resort. It's painful, painful, painful and is especially hard while rehabbing.

So make sure he rests and doesn't try to tuff guy it out.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
JLesSPE
Pro Bowler

Did your boy end up going to S&T? I remember you telling me he was considering it. Anyway, I have a minor tear and have had it for a long time...10 years or so. Its painful at seemingly random times. The most annoying thing is when I put up too much weight on bench my shoulder pops and feels almost like a dislocation, but I drop the bar on myself every time. It's always the pushing motion that screws it up. Sometimes if I lift my elbow too high and rotate my arm backwards it hurts pretty bad. I've considered surgery but I've heard it's painful and the rehab sucks. I hope your son's is minor and his will heal on its own.
JLesSPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post

My son is at his school's training camp and they decided to try him as a punt protector (6'4" 340lbs - starting Right Guard). ...
weeks, but I thought I would get an idea of what he is in for.

Thanks in advance.
Is he the teams Backup and WC QB?

at the Tebow joke but I hope your son heals fast and all is well quick.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

MRI is the only way to know for sure. Had same torn labrum....it limits strength especially shoulder height or higher. Orthopedic surgeon needs to guide you on this, not this board.

3 surgeries later my shoulder has been replaced with 10 grand of metal and plastic and my other shoulder is on its way but take him to an orthopedic surgeon and get an mri...........................
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

I tore mine about 15 years ago. Had surgery two years ago. My shoulder would slightly dislocate just reaching back to put my arm in my jacket. Learned over time to put my right arm in first. Lived with a good bit of pain for years. Hard to sleep with my arm over my head as a result. But I was able to compete in non contact sports with minimal pain.

I had the surgery in July 2010... Brutal doesn't begin to describe it. Part of the problem with waiting so long is the bone spurs that result. Had to have bone spurs shaved down and part of my collar bone removed, called an AC Joint Excission or something like that. Doc said it would be painful... NO BS there!!! Took a good 6 months to recover. Now, I am close to 100%. Lost a little mobility and strength. But pain wise, my right shoulder feels better than my left.

My advice, play with the pain for now and have it fixed in the future. The Labrum basically is a tendon that holds the shoulder in the ball and socket. With it torn, you are more apt to dislocate it under stress. With a partial tear, I bet it is more stable, but probably more painful b/c of the nerve endings.

Good luck, the only more painful surgery is an Achilles or Rotator Cuff... From what I've been told. Also, I asked my PT how long it would take a professional athlete to recover from the same surgery. About half the time with the daily therapy and conditioning a pro athlete receives. I was getting therapy twice a week, a pro athlete probably twice daily!

Last edited by Broncoman13; 08-15-2012 at 03:22 PM..
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

I did this about about two months ago, it sounds similar to mine. I had rest and therapy and was back to being active in a few weeks. The key is the total rest and following the rehab (there and home).
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #11
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Whew I was worried it was going to be a Bronco lol. Too bad about your kid though i hope he heals up quick.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #12
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Time to file a lawsuit against the school, coaches and the idiot kids family lol

I had shoulder surgery in 2000, bone spurs tore into my rotator cuff, So had had the spurs sanded down, cuff fixed and the arthritis scraped from my color bone as well. Totally sucked and hurt for quite a long while afterwards. Is it as good as new...hell no, but it is alot better than it was.

Good luck, I hope his is very minor and does not need surgery.

PS: That is one large SOB child you have... Damn, Denver can use him
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #13
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Sounds more like a torn labia to me

just kidding - hope your boy makes a speedy recovery and that freshman gets a boot to the ass

I have had some shoulder pain when I pitched in HS, but nothing torn. Wish i could give you more insight. Good luck
LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLesSPE View Post
Did your boy end up going to S&T? I remember you telling me he was considering it. Anyway, I have a minor tear and have had it for a long time...10 years or so. Its painful at seemingly random times. The most annoying thing is when I put up too much weight on bench my shoulder pops and feels almost like a dislocation, but I drop the bar on myself every time. It's always the pushing motion that screws it up. Sometimes if I lift my elbow too high and rotate my arm backwards it hurts pretty bad. I've considered surgery but I've heard it's painful and the rehab sucks. I hope your son's is minor and his will heal on its own.
Yes, he is at S&T and he loves it there. They had a good winning season and the program seems to be turning around quickly with their new coach. This year, they join a new conference and if they win their conference, they get an automatic bid to the D2 playoffs. It will be fun to see how this season pans out.

It's kind of funny that he has been playing football (often o-line, d-line, and special teams) since he was in sixth grade and this is the first football injury that required a visit to the doctor. Hopefully, this turns out to be minor.

He just told me tonight that after his two weeks of rest and rehab, they will perform an MRI to check his actual injury and progress. So, I feel like they are taking good care of him.

Thanks to everyone for the "good wishes."
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #15
ol#7

I tore mine playing QB in H.S. (Uncle Rico), and have reinjured/rehabbed it more times than I care to recount. Was going to get it operated on once, then they had a bunch of people with massive trauma come in and my surgeon got called away, got another opinion and that Dr. told me to wait as long as I could. I wouldnt say it is any better or worse today, but it is not as strong either. The thing is I have full mobility which seems to be what alot of people post surgery lose.

Dont let your son slack on the rehab, I got mine almost to 100% a couple of times, then slacked off or went back to doing things like tossing a ball before I should have, and set it back. Also, dont let him take the cortisone injections in the joint, it can bring down inflamation but is really bad, bad, bad for the long term health of the joint. I had 3 which they say is the max on any one joint, but have been told it would have been better to avoid altogether, plus it is just a short term fix.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:28 AM   #16
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
I've had it as an adult. The surgery was honestly pretty brutal - way worse than, say, an ACL surgery (I've had two). My problem, prior to surgery, was with pain and movement. The pain could easily be fixed with a cortisone shot. The movement, not so much. I wouldn't think he would need as much flexibility, playing the OL. I would tell him to gut it out, unless the doctor feels he could do permanent damage.
I have had two surgeries to repair a similar injury and neither was particularly successful. I still experience shooting pain in full motion of the shoulder joint, but i have to ignore it somewhat because of the kind of work I do.

Give the injury time to heal and resort to surgery as the absolute last possible option. I would even suggest leaving the sport rather than submitting to the surgery. It is brutal and painful and only produces marginal success in a high percentage of cases.

I understand that Ben Rothlesberger has a torn labrum, but 'it isn't considered serious'. Ha! The guy is going to need an opium pipe after every game, and if it worsens due to contact, I honestly believe it will endanger his career.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:24 AM   #17
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I partially tore my labrum playing FB in high school the second week of my senior season. I was not about to sit out any time in my final year, so I wore a brace during practice that prohibited my arm from raising above my head, then iced it after practice every day. It was nagging throughout the season, but I could deal with the pain. Anyway, the second-to-last game of the season, I fully tore it and that effectively ended my football "career." :-) Anyway, I had the shoulder scoped and did PT for a couple months afterwards. It has some minor arthritis in it, but I am very active to this day. I'm 36 now.
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:46 AM   #18
Brandon29
Rookie

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I tore mine and had surgery two years ago. Mine started off with occasional pain (only when I played softball) and slowly grew to be more day to day pain. It hurt my arm to reach up and pull a glass down from the cabinet.

I was in a sling for about a week and started rehab about two weeks after surgery. Rehab was the most important thing for getting range of motion back. I'd go and do exercises, but the best thing was the PT's stretching my arm out afterwards.

My arm feels pretty good now, but it still has its moments. They'll probably tell you within a year it'll be back to normal, but my PT friends were right when they suggested it's closer to 2. I'm back to playing softball 2-3 nights a week and feel like everything has come back as strong as before.
Brandon29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:56 AM   #19
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post

My son is at his school's training camp and they decided to try him as a punt protector (6'4" 340lbs - starting Right Guard). Anyway, an idiot freshman didn't hear the words "walk through" and decided to spear my boy right on the shoulder socket with the crown of his helmet (bad technique, right?).

Anyway, he is now diagnosed with a minor tear of the Labrum and they are going to rest him for two weeks then see how it goes. They are ordering him a really good athletic shoulder brace and are giving him great care. However, I was just interested in how this has worked out for others.

So, I know there are many different type of tears (I believe his is in the front of the socket), and also varying severities, but I thought I would ask about how others did with this. So, if you have had such an injury how did it go for you? Were you able to return to action pretty quickly? Did you eventually have surgery, or did yours repair itself?

He is planning on playing this season, and is trying to get ready for the season opener in three weeks, but I thought I would get an idea of what he is in for.

Thanks in advance.
Sorry to hear this and I hope the best your boy's recovery, but it does sound like a completely clean hit. You're coming in facemask and hands first, and often attacking an outside shoulder to try and penetrate. Sounds like the kid was either just a bunch shorter or got lower than your son before impact.

The end result definitely really sucks, but it sounds to me like misfortune instead of poor practice.

Get well soon though!
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #20
tnedator
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
He be gone..

It all depends on the type of tear. There are multiple types that can occur in different areas.

In most cases, the only way they can know if it is truly a torn labrum and the extent is either with a MRI with contrast or an arteriogram (or something like that -- another die based imaging test).

I had a torn labrum. The doc wasn't 100% sure if it was the labrum or not, but suspected it. I first tried anti-inflammatory meds and then three steroid shots and got no relief.

I was having severe pain from the top of my shoulder to about a third of the way down my back on the right side, also extending to my bicep. When I moved the arm, I would feel it catch and pop and stuff.

He opted not to do the arteriogram (he had previously done a non-die MRI), because with no relief with conventional therapy, surgery was going to be the only option.

I had previously had surgery on my left shoulder for chronic bursitis, that was caused by a small hook on the end of my acromion bone (I think that's right) that was rubbing and inflaming the bursa.

Since the xray & MRI showed a similar hook, he felt it was either caused by that, or there was a labral tear.

When he went in, he found a small flap tear (not sure that's the exact term) that he removed.

Anyway, other than the first few days of post surgical pain, made worse by the fact he went ahead and trimmed the acromion bone to avoid the possibility of the bursitis problem I had in my left shoulder (trimming or breaking bone HURTS), the recovery was pretty painless. While it wasn't standard anymore, I asked for a lidocaine pump, that they pin to the sling and there is a little tube that is run directly into the joint, similar to the way they insert drains during surgery, and it is pre-measured with six full doses of lidocaine (or some caine) that immediately numbs everything in the joint. I had learned from the left shoulder that I could use about a third of a squeeze, and get more like 15-18 doses, so that it lasted for several days.

Anyway, it did take a few weeks before I could start range of motion exercises, and then mild strengthening with therabands, but if I remember I was back to golfing in about three months, or maybe less.

So, again, there clearly is a huge difference in the recovery time and post surgical results. In my case, after I was through the initial pain and trauma of the surgery, within a week or two, it was clear that most of my pain was gone. I almost immediately felt much better than before the surgery, and by the time I went through the range of motion and strengthening and finally got released, I was as pain free as before the surgery.

I would be very careful about the "have him play through it and don't have the surgery" approach, because you need to be 100% sure that having him grin and bear it and continue to use the arm isn't just going to make the tear worse, and possibly to the point where it won't be possible to have a clean surgical repair.

Good luck.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #21
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...eds-formatted/
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #22
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Better than a torn labia, that's for sure.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #23
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I first read "torn labia" and I thought this thread was about Jay Cutler.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #24
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Better than a torn labia, that's for sure.
beat me to it.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote