The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Smelvin
Pro Bowler

Default Sports Bar recommendations (near stadium)

I'm coming into town for the Steeler game and am looking for sports bar recommendations for before the game. I'm with Niner fans, so it's really important we're as close to the stadium as possible so we can watch the conclusion of the Niner/GB game yet still get to our seats in time for opening kickoff.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Smelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Niner fans? Probably something off of Colfax. Actually The Church (if still around) is probably where you want to go that night.

Brooklyn's is close to stadium (walking distance) but there is so many places to hit in LoDo. If you are not going to tailgate in stadium lots (and you really should), go to Sports Column near Coors Field. A few others all around there too.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football

GO..........BRONCOS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Cant get any closer to the stadium than brooklyns. but it gets crowded early.
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
lolcopter

Tailgating is probably your best bet, tbh. Otherwise just pick any sports bars in LoDo and cab it to the stadium

Downtown Tavern has a pretty sweet upper balcony and tv setup for the other games, and Jackson's isn't a bad option either. Hayters has surprisingly good food but not the best sports venue imo

There are plenty of TVs inside Mile High too, so I would recommend tailgating and going into the stadium a bit early. It's going to be pretty wild given its the home opener so the earlier the better!

FWIW there aren't ever really any open container issues with tailgating

Last edited by lolcopter; 08-14-2012 at 11:03 AM..
Old 08-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Shotgun Willie

If you take care of the girls, I'll let you drink for free at my establishment.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Brooklyn's is as close as tailgating, but you need to get there early if you want to be planted in front of a tv.

The Denver Broncos have the Broncos Barn right in front of the stadium, where you can buy drinks and watch all of the other games live. I think there is a cover to get in, but you don't have to worry about missing the game as you are literally 45 feet from the main entrance of the stadium.

The SkyBox Lounge at Hotel VQ is on the north side of the stadium and is just off the north parking lot. Again, I think it can get crowded, but not nearly as bad as Brooklyn's. Also, it has a great 360 view of Denver, the stadium and such.

The next best bet, by far is to go to the Sports Column in LoDo, just a half block from Coors Field. They have a free shuttle that goes to Mile High to drop people off for the game.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

I'll echo what others said. Sure there's Brooklyn's by the Pepsi center, but I'd do LoDo and cab to stadium.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
bfoflcommish

GO..........BRONCOS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
I'll echo what others said. Sure there's Brooklyn's by the Pepsi center, but I'd do LoDo and cab to stadium.
there is a brooklyns closer to stadium than the pepsi center location. its basically in the stadium parking lot
Old 08-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
bfoflcommish

GO..........BRONCOS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Willie View Post
If you take care of the girls, I'll let you drink for free at my establishment.
shouldnt this go for all of us maners??
Old 08-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoflcommish View Post
there is a brooklyns closer to stadium than the pepsi center location. its basically in the stadium parking lot
yes, all bricks and you could probably eat, drink and park there the whole day.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #11
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Don't listen to CaliJohn. The Church is a ****in' nightclub. WHOOMP WHOOMP stuff.

The Original Brooklyn's is just South of the stadium. You'll have to get there for the morning games too (I know; what a sacrifice) or you won't get a table, but they have lots of seating, Teevees upstairs and down, and good food. The steak tips are outrageous, and so is the Bronco burger. Good green chile stew, too.

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...d=0CJwBEPwSMAM
Old 08-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
Smelvin
Pro Bowler

Has anyone been to The SkyBox Lounge at Hotel VQ? It looks close enough to walk to the stadium, and seems like a good option. Any opinions on their TV's, food, prices?
Smelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelvin View Post
Has anyone been to The SkyBox Lounge at Hotel VQ? It looks close enough to walk to the stadium, and seems like a good option. Any opinions on their TV's, food, prices?
yes, great option and many people stay there when in town for games. THey have a small gift shop that has a decent supply of Broncos goods. They charge parking there of about $20.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #14
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
I've kinda done this before, but on the light rail. LR to Lodo, have a few drinks. LR to Mile High for the game. LR back to Lodo for drinks after the game, since nobody heads that direction, then once the crowds thin, take the rail back to wherever you started.

A few times we've parked in Pepsi Center parking then had drinks at Brooklyn's while the parking lot empties. That's fun too, except then someone has to drive.

Anything to avoid the crowd and have a good time on the way out is my focus.

Either way, probly not the right approach if you work the next day though.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #15
Mile High Salute

Lots of great options in LoDo and downtown. In LoDo, I like Hayter's on Blake Street, between 19th and 20th. Lots of TVs, good food, beer pong and pool. Then walk to Union Station and take the light rail to the stadium.

If you decide to go downtown, I like the Yard House (ridiculous beer selection) or the Rock Bottom Brewery (also good beer and food) on the 16th Street Mall. There are a ton of pubs/bars on Market Street as well, just a block off of 16th street between 14th and 15th. When you're finished, take the 16th Street Mall Ride up to Union Station, and then take the light rail to Mile High. I live near downtown, and that's how I get to every game.

You pretty much can't go wrong with any of the suggestions in this thread - have fun!
Old 08-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #16
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
I'm coming into town for the Steeler game and am looking for sports bar recommendations for before the game. I'm with Niner fans, so it's really important we're as close to the stadium as possible so we can watch the conclusion of the Niner/GB game yet still get to our seats in time for opening kickoff.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
1) strangle the 49ers fans
2) take their wallets
3) pat yourself on the back for ridding the world of x number of 49ers fans

you did say any suggestions would be much appreciated.

i still haven't' forgotten 55-10.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #17
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Prices are fine - $3 domestic beers, $5 well drink type prices. Food is average and a little higher than average price. Here's a menu: http://www.hotelvq.com/wp-content/up...kyBox-Menu.pdf. You'll get better food at Brooklyn's, but you'll have to fight more of a crowd.

They have a few tvs, not tons and not that big, but you won't have a problem seeing them. Honestly don't know if they have directv - so the 49ers might not be on there.

It has the best views but probably the worst ambiance of any other suggestion here - besides the Church. That place blows unless you like to wear glow sticks and stare at strobe lights. Also, it doesn't open until after dark.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #18
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Just come play beer pong with me in lot N
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #19
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Strange Brewing is where you want to be. The owners are huge broncos fans. It's close to the stadium. They make great beer... I watch a lot of away games there
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #20
enjolras
Ring of Famer

If you're hungry Jack and Grill is a nice spot before the game too...
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #21
lolcopter

I'm rarely on the south side of the stadium but I completely forgot about Mile High Station... It's a pretty good bar close enough to the stadium and it will sure to be packed with a lot of fans
Old 08-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #22
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Salute View Post

You pretty much can't go wrong with any of the suggestions in this thread - have fun!
pretty much this, but if you're from out of town (or even a local) stay away from the 16th street mall... it's just a big tourist trap. LoDo, market, ballpark, larimer square if you're feeling fancy, or there are plenty of good places close enough to the stadium... All would be much better than the mall imo
Old 08-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #23
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
Strange Brewing is where you want to be. The owners are huge broncos fans. It's close to the stadium. They make great beer... I watch a lot of away games there
Awww ya strange is right by my work. Just had some brews there after work. Awesome beer. Reppin lyla with the tig ol bitties!
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #24
eff1ngham

Avoid Swankys if you're with a 49ers fan. That's the local Packers bar (downtown).

My favorite place (other than Brooklyns next door to Mile High) is either Sports Column or Jackson's. SC has better food and drink specials FWIW
Old 08-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #25
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

If your main priority is drinking some beers and watching as much of the 49ers game as possible before the Denver game, then the Broncos Barn is your best bet as it's right outside of the stadium and they show all of the other games.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote