The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Bacchus

Default Manning gets emotional

Peyton Manning reflective after Denver Broncos debut

By Gregg Rosenthal
Around The League editor

Peyton Manning was trying to pretend Thursday night was just another game. After his encouraging performance against the Chicago Bears, the four-time MVP let the public see how he really felt during his return to the field.

"I got an email from [brother-in-law Will Thompson] today that said, 'Hey, after that first snap, you ought to take a minute just to reflect about where you were at this point last year.'" Manning told Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports as Manning left for the team bus.

The Denver Broncos have Peyton Manning, but John Elway believes they'll need more to be a true Super Bowl contender, Ian Rapoport writes. More ...

"Just the fact that I was able to be out there taking a snap in an NFL game ... anybody, if you asked ... it meant a lot. You'd almost have to talk to the Indy trainers, the guys that really saw me, that really know. Without getting too deep, you couldn't make any predictions. There's a lot of unknown to this injury."

One reason Manning connects with NFL fans is that he so obviously loves what he does. For big football fans -- no matter who you root for -- it was a cool moment to see him on the field again. It's a moment we almost take for granted. Manning doesn't.

"Four-minutes into a rat-a-tat-tat post-game interview, the former Colts mega-star paused and collected himself," Ian Rapoport of NFL.com wrote. "It was almost as if the new Broncos leader was tapped on the shoulder and reminded him, There was no guarantee you'd ever get back on the field. In his first playing time since a nerve issue in his neck robbed him of his 2011 season, resulted in two vertebrae being fused together, and made him one of the most sought-after free agents ever, Manning was hit by emotion all at once.

"I always have to take the time to say, 'I sure have come a long way in a year,'" Manning said. "'How much hard work I've put in. How much help I've gotten.'"

Manning told Silver he did take time to reflect after that first pass. And he made sure to remember it was only a moment early in his journey, not the destination.

"I keep having to fight this battle," Manning said. "I throw one good pass and everybody says, 'He's back,' and I'm kinda going, 'Hey, I'm on the way.'"

Click to read some great comments
Rest of article http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-broncos-debut
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Bacchus

I have a great feeling about this team and what Manning is doing for the team. He and Elway have turned this whole organization around.

Simply the greatest Free agent signing in NFL history. Even if he gets injured I believe what he has done for the organization already is worth the $19 million he is paid for this year. The team has purpose and direction.

Everyone in that locker room is marching right in lock stop with Manning there is no way they will be unsuccessful on winning the West this year.

I predicted 9-7 and I think I am ready to go higher. Denver will be a tough out this year.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:06 AM   #3
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

He looked good as far as reading defense, scanning the field and knowing where to go, which is 75% of the battle. His timing just a tad off which he should get back with a few more games. The arm strength is just a bit slow compared to what I've seen before. Who knows when or if that will come back to 100%, we'll just have to wait and see. Hard to tell much from that short of a preview. I think we'll have a much better feel after next week. I think he'll play 3 or 4 series.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #4
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I have a great feeling about this team and what Manning is doing for the team. He and Elway have turned this whole organization around.

Simply the greatest Free agent signing in NFL history. Even if he gets injured I believe what he has done for the organization already is worth the $19 million he is paid for this year. The team has purpose and direction.

Everyone in that locker room is marching right in lock stop with Manning there is no way they will be unsuccessful on winning the West this year.

I predicted 9-7 and I think I am ready to go higher. Denver will be a tough out this year.
irrational fanboy is irrational
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:55 AM   #5
nyuk nyuk

I'm verklempt!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDXEgBh0TF0
Old 08-11-2012, 05:58 AM   #6
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
Still butt hurt I see.....

Oh, but fyi, your hero is picking up right where he left off too....50% completions, very few yards , and a God-awful int.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:24 AM   #7
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Still butt hurt I see.....

Oh, but fyi, your hero is picking up right where he left off too....50% completions, very few yards , and a God-awful int.
you're projecting.

i'm slowly getting used to Manning. my reservations were never about him replacing Tebow per se. i just hate the Indiacrapolis Irsays with a passion and for all intents and purposes, he was the Indiacrapolis Irsays... but i see you're still butthurt that Tebow helped us win the AFC West and a playoff game. it must suck to be you.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
Bacchus

Quote:
Maybe, I wasn't when it started. I just love how it is moving forward. I expect great things this year. I think Peyton demands greatness and this team will follow him.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Remains to be seen.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

whats really horrible is that this signing and Manning's Broncos career with forever be linked to Tebow...hence this message board will follow suit
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Moronic troll is moronic and trolling.

Seriously, has your Jets gear arrived yet?
Old 08-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #12
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Seemed like a pretty rational fanboy to me. Went from a 9-7 expectation to a bit higher... thats not really that irrational given time to think and process what this team actually is.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #13
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
you're projecting.

i'm slowly getting used to Manning. my reservations were never about him replacing Tebow per se. i just hate the Indiacrapolis Irsays with a passion and for all intents and purposes, he was the Indiacrapolis Irsays... but i see you're still butthurt that Tebow helped us win the AFC West and a playoff game. it must suck to be you.
Au contrare my friend..... my only issue with tim tebow was his fans like yourself and the fact that the kid could not throw a football accurately..... and it's a shame because if not for you and your clown posse the kids would probably still be in denver... he would not be our backup quarterback but he would still be in denver
Old 08-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #14
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Au contrare my friend..... my only issue with tim tebow was his fans like yourself and the fact that the kid could not throw a football accurately..... and it's a shame because if not for you and your clown posse the kids would probably still be in denver... he would not be our backup quarterback but he would still be in denver
silly errand is silly

here's a tip, maybe it'll make you less silly. don't breath the vapors while you're making meth in your bathroom. it's not good for you. i saw that on Breaking Bad. maybe you'll find that info handy.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #15
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
Seemed like a pretty rational fanboy to me. Went from a 9-7 expectation to a bit higher... thats not really that irrational given time to think and process what this team actually is.
umm...

Quote:
Simply the greatest Free agent signing in NFL history. Even if he gets injured I believe what he has done for the organization already is worth the $19 million he is paid for this year.
...that's the irrational part.

after 1 drive in the 1st preseason game, the OP is ready to declare Manning the greatest FA signing in history and worth every penny of the $19M he's going to be paid this year. that's not mere hyperbole. that's hyperbole on steroids wearing orange tinted glasses and swimming in a vat of Orange Crush soda wearing a #7 jersey.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irrational
Old 08-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #16
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Manning isn't worth anything if Denver fails to make the playoffs this year.

If the "unbelievably bad" Tebow can do it than the impeccable, expensive Manning sure as hell better.
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #17
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUB View Post

If the "unbelievably bad" Tebow can do it than the impeccable, expensive Manning sure as hell better.
This is a pretty absurd line of reasoning too.

If Manning fails to get us to 8-8, this year will have been a failure. Thankfully, we've signed Manning to five years.

If Tebow can't unseat Sanchez, is it even worth discussing? he still has trouble reading defenses, and still looks to run too soon.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #18
Bacchus

Quote:

So is Manning a failure if Denver does not go to the SB this year but they go next year? Your logic is stupid and you must be a tebow nut.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #19
CEH
Ring of Famer

You watch
MaGahee is going to dominate this year. The rushing attack will be just as dynamic as last year sans Tebow

Willis right now is 245 lbs of pure man out there in TC.
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #20
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton
This is a pretty absurd line of reasoning too.

If Manning fails to get us to 8-8, this year will have been a failure. Thankfully, we've signed Manning to five years.

If Tebow can't unseat Sanchez, is it even worth discussing? he still has trouble reading defenses, and still looks to run too soon.
Quote:
So is Manning a failure if Denver does not go to the SB this year but they go next year? Your logic is stupid and you must be a tebow nut.
Both of you idiots did not follow the conversation.

The discussion was about how Manning is worth $19m this year (even if he doesn't play a down).
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #21
Bmore Manning

Quote:

The cost of Manning contract has no bearing on him being the greatest FA signing. Franchise, HOF QBs, who are in conversation as the GOAT, don't typically get cut and become UFAs very often..more like never. That alone qualifies as the greatest FA signing in the history of the game.

And the unbelievably bad Tebow, helped the 8-8 Broncos make the playoffs. You could say they were fortunate with that soft schedule, and some luck also helped them win the division. 8-8 was good enough last year, might not be this year to win the West. To think the Broncos aren't a better team with Manning is comical and very niave. And they have one of the hardest schedules in football.

Peyton eludes class that is something most STARS seem to lack in professional sports. Look what he's done for the city with the fires and the shooting. He was mad that the media got word of him calling victims family's and seeing them personally. Peyton doesn't want the spot light, he also didn't need $19 million. But he had to set market value so other QBs can get paid. He gave year to year outs, look at Brees, and how he complained for guaranteed money. I hate that there are some unappreciative, haters of the selfless Greatest QB to play the game.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #22
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
The cost of Manning contract has no bearing on him being the greatest FA signing. Franchise, HOF QBs, who are in conversation as the GOAT, don't typically get cut and become UFAs very often..more like never. That alone qualifies as the greatest FA signing in the history of the game.
Sorry, it happened in 2008. In NY, it was an abject failure. Nobody there would tell you it was the right move for that team. It came closer to success in Minnesota, but that came one play away from a Super Bowl. If we don't get at least that close, the consolation of having scored a "big free agent signing" will ring pathetically hollow. Signings matter because of the hope those new players bring. If that hope ends in nothing, nobody cares about the signing itself.

Quote:
And the unbelievably bad Tebow, helped the 8-8 Broncos make the playoffs. You could say they were fortunate with that soft schedule, and some luck also helped them win the division. 8-8 was good enough last year, might not be this year to win the West. To think the Broncos aren't a better team with Manning is comical and very niave. And they have one of the hardest schedules in football.
There was nothing easy about Denver's schedule going into last year. Going into the season, drawing the NFC North and AFC East was anything but cupcake. Sure some things happened throughout the season that softened things up a bit. But that happens every year. We can start complaining about the tough schedule when things actually turn out that way.

Quote:
Peyton eludes class that is something most STARS seem to lack in professional sports. Look what he's done for the city with the fires and the shooting. He was mad that the media got word of him calling victims family's and seeing them personally. Peyton doesn't want the spot light, he also didn't need $19 million. But he had to set market value so other QBs can get paid. He gave year to year outs, look at Brees, and how he complained for guaranteed money. I hate that there are some unappreciative, haters of the selfless Greatest QB to play the game.
Nobody hates Peyton Manning. Nobody. Stop it.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #23
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post

Nobody hates Peyton Manning. Nobody. Stop it.
Not too sure about that Beavis....there are posters on here who go out of their way to discount Manning being on our team, lamenting that he'll cause our team to become the Browns in two years....people who resent that he replaced their favorite player, etc....

Is the hatred widespread...of course not...but to claim nobody hates him is not accurate.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #24
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Not too sure about that Beavis....there are posters on here who go out of their way to discount Manning being on our team, lamenting that he'll cause our team to become the Browns in two years....people who resent that he replaced their favorite player, etc....

Is the hatred widespread...of course not...but to claim nobody hates him is not accurate.
Funny. That sounds 100% exactly like you throughout the Orton/Tebow exchange, and yet you still claim you don't hate Tim Tebow.

And nobody here has hated on Manning a tenth as much as you did Tebow.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #25
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post

Peyton eludes class that is something most STARS seem to lack in professional sports.
I think you meant to say exudes?