The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Elway: Peyton is two Super Bowls away from being the best ever

John Elway thinks Peyton Manning has what it takes to go down in history as the greatest quarterback in the history of football. But to accomplish that, Elway needs to put the right team around Manning.

In Elway’s opinion, if Manning were to close out his career by winning two Super Bowls as the Broncos’ quarterback — the same way Elway closed out his own Hall of Fame career — that would be enough for Manning to be considered the best ever.

“Winning championships, that’s the only way,” Elway told NFL Network’s Albert Breer. “If he wins two more championships, he’ll be, without a doubt, the greatest quarterback ever to play the game.”

Of course, Elway knows that Manning can only do so much to ensure that he’ll win two Super Bowls. When Elway finally won his two Super Bowls in his 15th and 16th NFL seasons after falling short so many times earlier in his career, it wasn’t because Elway was better than he had been in his first 14 years in the league. It was because the Broncos built a better team around him. Likewise, if Manning wins two Super Bowls with the Broncos, it will be partially a testament to his own greatness as a quarterback, but also a testament to Elway’s work as an executive.

Manning has already won a record four regular-season MVP awards. If he were to come back from a year away and win a fifth MVP in Denver, he’d have a good case for being the best quarterback ever regardless of what happened in the playoffs. But Elway is correct that quarterbacks are remembered to such a large extent for their teams’ success or failure in the playoffs that Manning probably can’t go down in history as the best ever as long as he has only one Super Bowl ring. And he probably will go down in history as the best ever if he retires with three Super Bowl rings.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...the-best-ever/
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
skunk
Seasoned Veteran

WOE UNTO THEE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
No

didnt read a single word
skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

He, at least, needs to tie his brother for number of rings...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I completely agree with this and have been making the same argument on poker nights with my buddies. And for the most part, they have a hard time arguing otherwise.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Agamemnon

If he can win two Super Bowls with this roster in the next three or four years I'll certainly rank him as the greatest ever. I mean that would be a miracle of Biblical proportions to be honest...
Old 08-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
Denver Bronco56
Head Coach

The Greatest

With is numbers which will only get better with a couple more years, any additional rings would seal the deal... the main argument agains Manning was his SB wins.... never an issue with production.
Denver Bronco56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
If he can win two Super Bowls with this roster in the next three or four years I'll certainly rank him as the greatest ever. I mean that would be a miracle of Biblical proportions to be honest...
....well considering who you think could have, i like his odds
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

he's going into the HOF, who ****ing cares?
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #9
Greatspirits
Perennial Pro-bowler

"Little Von!"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trev

My goal/fantasy/dream is they make the playoffs this year, then Peyton comes back and wins back to back Super Bowls ala Elway and retires off to the sunset. He will definitely be considered one of the best if not "The" best quarterback ever!!
Greatspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
John Elway thinks Peyton Manning has what it takes to go down in history as the greatest quarterback in the history of football. But to accomplish that, Elway needs to put the right team around Manning.

In Elway’s opinion, if Manning were to close out his career by winning two Super Bowls as the Broncos’ quarterback — the same way Elway closed out his own Hall of Fame career — that would be enough for Manning to be considered the best ever.

“Winning championships, that’s the only way,” Elway told NFL Network’s Albert Breer. “If he wins two more championships, he’ll be, without a doubt, the greatest quarterback ever to play the game.”

Of course, Elway knows that Manning can only do so much to ensure that he’ll win two Super Bowls. When Elway finally won his two Super Bowls in his 15th and 16th NFL seasons after falling short so many times earlier in his career, it wasn’t because Elway was better than he had been in his first 14 years in the league. It was because the Broncos built a better team around him. Likewise, if Manning wins two Super Bowls with the Broncos, it will be partially a testament to his own greatness as a quarterback, but also a testament to Elway’s work as an executive.

Manning has already won a record four regular-season MVP awards. If he were to come back from a year away and win a fifth MVP in Denver, he’d have a good case for being the best quarterback ever regardless of what happened in the playoffs. But Elway is correct that quarterbacks are remembered to such a large extent for their teams’ success or failure in the playoffs that Manning probably can’t go down in history as the best ever as long as he has only one Super Bowl ring. And he probably will go down in history as the best ever if he retires with three Super Bowl rings.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...the-best-ever/
I might argue with the statement I bolded. He was a smarter quarterback in those years, and you could argue that that made him a better quarterback. I don't think he had lost much, physically; but he definitely gained a lot, mentally. Of course, the offensive system allowed him to play smarter, as well. It relied less on the physical dramatics. Plus, replacing a bunch of 3rd and 15s with a bunch of 3rd and 1s didn't hurt, either.

Man, I love me some John Elway.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

John Elway - master motivator. John's a competitor, absolutely hates to lose (pool table...) and he knows that Peyton is one too. This is to light a fire right under him just before the season starts - not that I think he needs it, but it can't hurt. We're going to see the Broncos win a Superbowl the next couple of years if it kills Manning.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #12
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

i'm good with plan A. at least two super bowl wins.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
Jay3

I think I would have stuck with one Super Bowl. No QB has ever won the Super Bowl with 2 different teams. Elway should have been non-specific in his wording, and just said if he can win the championship here, late in his career with the Broncos, he'll be the best ever.

Two just makes me think "but what about just one?" And I picture Elway going "NO! Then he would not be the best ever!!"
Old 08-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #14
BroncsRule
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

There are several QB's with 2 rings.. more than 2, that's a much shorter list, and Aikman and Bradshaw get marked down on most folks' 'best evaaarr" lists because, although they are quite good QB's, they are generally thought to have been greatly aided by the strength of their supporting casts (why this doesn't apply to Joe Montanna I will never know).

That's probably where John was coming from. You get that 3rd ring, you start to separate yourself from the pack.

Of course, Tom Brady further muddies the water: Will Peyton even be remembered as the best QB of his era, let alone best of all time?

But it would be sweet if he can become the first to win multiple championships with multiple teams.
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:36 AM   #15
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Its really starting to look like we should have brought Elway in to run the team years ago.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #16
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
Its really starting to look like we should have brought Elway in to run the team years ago.
I agree but you'd be watching Jay Cutler for sure. The whole McD error just plained sucked
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #17
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:

This!

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #18
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

Hype much, John? Ask Terry Bradshaw if having rings is enough. I know hoo when I hear it.
Circle Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #19
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
I agree but you'd be watching Jay Cutler for sure. The whole McD era just plain sucked
Just about as much as the last decade of Tanahan did..

Save for up to the AFCCG we had one season worth a crap when it comes down to was it a good season or not.. Winning in the playoffs..

And we all know just how bad we got our asses kicked in that game..

He should have resigned after that debacle..

Just maybe we would have had some decent rounds 1-3 talent left on the team at this point....
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #20
Bronco Yoda

I don't care how many SB's PM wins from here on out... I'd take Elway over PM any day in their prime. PM may be a smarter QB but John was always a more complete weapon who could also do damage with his feet. ... And John had that magic.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #21
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
I don't care how many SB's PM wins from here on out...
I do.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #22
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncsRule View Post
There are several QB's with 2 rings.. more than 2, that's a much shorter list, and Aikman and Bradshaw get marked down on most folks' 'best evaaarr" lists because, although they are quite good QB's, they are generally thought to have been greatly aided by the strength of their supporting casts (why this doesn't apply to Joe Montanna I will never know).

That's probably where John was coming from. You get that 3rd ring, you start to separate yourself from the pack.

Of course, Tom Brady further muddies the water: Will Peyton even be remembered as the best QB of his era, let alone best of all time?

But it would be sweet if he can become the first to win multiple championships with multiple teams.
Or what if Marino had two rings? Best ever? Possibly. Best of his generation? As a Broncos fan, I'd probably homer it and say no, but almost everyone else would say yes.

I think the rule is it's hard to be in the GOAT debate without rings, but rings don't automatically put you in the debate.

Needless to say though if PM ****s the bed in Denver, he's still in that discussion. People will just write any future failure off on his neck issues.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #23
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:

QFT

It sure seems that way more and more everyday. The day we fired Shanny should have been when Bowlen made the move with John.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:54 AM   #24
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
I don't care how many SB's PM wins from here on out... I'd take Elway over PM any day in their prime. PM may be a smarter QB but John was always a more complete weapon who could also do damage with his feet. ... And John had that magic.

I 100% agree on John vs Peyton.

I want a ring in Manning era at least or its a failure. At least the Manning era should make Bronco football way more exciting and more about football itself . Less about off the field greatness or college days greatness we had recently.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #25
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

i think you can already make a case for manning being the best regular season QB of all time. he hasnt been money in the playoffs though, and now he has a chance to change that here.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote