The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Default Profootballweekly says Moore improving

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...ng-improvement

Broncos 2011 second-rounder Rahim Moore has looked good in training camp in the battle to start at safety with Mike Adams, we hear. His competition, Quinton Carter, has been out with hamstring and knee injuries, also helping Moore’s cause.

The first safety taken in the 2011 draft, Moore didn’t live up to expectations, and one source believes that he wasn’t the same after a preseason hit on Bills WR Donald Jones that cost the rookie $20,000. Coming out of college, Moore showed strong ball skills but there were questions about his tackling and physicality, and that seemed to show in 2011.

Moore told reporters on Monday what he learned from watching tape. “When you’re a rookie, you’re trying to make some plays. You want to get respect,” he said. “Sometimes you’re just so fast for your own good and that’s when disciplinary issues come in. Missed tackles come in, missed opportunities, missed picks.”

Reports indicate that Moore’s improvement in his first full offseason has given him an edge for the starting job.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

I know it was the in vogue Mane thing to completely rip the kid a new a-hole last year, and he did struggle, but one positive play stood out I remember in a goal-line situation against New England (regular season game) where he closed incredibly well and made a play in space that prevented a touchdown. A lot of these kids are so athletic out of high school and even in college, that they don't learn how to tackle. Hopefully, Moore's improvement will be sustained throughout preseason. Right now, we talkin bout practice.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This would be great.

Adams was a good signing, he should be a solid starter/good depth player while he's here. But Moore has the much higher ceiling, a lot of people rated him highly coming out of college. He was billed as a ballhawk, would be great to have a Safety back there consistently making plays for the first time in a long while.

The last time Denver had a safety with more than a single interception over the course of a season was 2005, that's hopeless!!

If Manning and the offense clicks and start forcing teams to pass the ball a lot against us it'd be great to see us have a defense that consistently gets turnovers, it's been a long time.

With the likes of Doom, Miller, Ayers and hopefully now Wolfe and maybe another newcomer out there rushing the passer there should be opportunities for the secondary to make some plays. I don't think we're good enough at LB and DT to be a really top defense this year, but we do have some playmakers out there, especially in Dumervil and Miller rushing the passer.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I'm sure Rahim Moore looks all-pro when he doesn't have to tackle.

We'll see what happens when the actual hitting starts.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
This would be great.

Adams was a good signing, he should be a solid starter/good depth player while he's here. But Moore has the much higher ceiling, a lot of people rated him highly coming out of college. He was billed as a ballhawk, would be great to have a Safety back there consistently making plays for the first time in a long while.

The last time Denver had a safety with more than a single interception over the course of a season was 2005, that's hopeless!!

If Manning and the offense clicks and start forcing teams to pass the ball a lot against us it'd be great to see us have a defense that consistently gets turnovers, it's been a long time.

With the likes of Doom, Miller, Ayers and hopefully now Wolfe and maybe another newcomer out there rushing the passer there should be opportunities for the secondary to make some plays. I don't think we're good enough at LB and DT to be a really top defense this year, but we do have some playmakers out there, especially in Dumervil and Miller rushing the passer.
I was wondering why he slipped to the early 2nd. Most reports I read had Rahim Moore as a mid-first round pick.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
Rolandftw

Well, a very limited training camp basically last year hurt a lot of young players. Obviously disappointed last year, but good to see that he's improving and hope it continues to be that way
Old 08-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandftw View Post
Well, a very limited training camp basically last year hurt a lot of young players. Obviously disappointed last year, but good to see that he's improving and hope it continues to be that way
Moore looked like a beast last year until he laid the wood down on a Buffalo Bills receiver in the preseason and was flagged for it. He played far too careful after that.

Hopefully he has regained some of that agression this year.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Let's be clear here, you are NOT going to learn how to tackle in the NFL. DC's did not have the time to implement tackling elements into practices before the New CBA. What you can do is be a much better play reader and break quicker on the playcall. that can be learned at this level.

Kid is not going to wake up and tackle better one day. Name one safety who has done that in the NFL. I can name half a dozen high round safeties who struggled to make tackles in college and still struggle today. Taylor Mays, Reggie Nelson, Brandon Meriweather, and Michael Griffin all come to mind. Great at one thing, but not a true safety in any sense of the word.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #9
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
I was wondering why he slipped to the early 2nd. Most reports I read had Rahim Moore as a mid-first round pick.
Looked great as a junior but regressed some in his senior year.
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

A safety who can't tackle hopes to tackle. Hooray, fluff!
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

No OTA's last year really screwed him, too. And they completely threw him into the fire right out of the gate.

Sounds like he was humbled and worked all offseason to get better. Still a very, very good prospect.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #12
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
Moore looked like a beast last year until he laid the wood down on a Buffalo Bills receiver in the preseason and was flagged for it. He played far too careful after that.

let us be honest here. His lack of tackling wasnt because he was afraid of getting flagged. Those normally happen on the timing of a receiver catching the ball. He was missing open field chances.
As for Moore improving this season, he could not be much worse once the season rolled around. I, and many, tend to forget someone can get better after their first season. He is a Bronco and therefore I will try to give him the benefit of the doubt ...for now.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #13
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post

Attachment 31242

Last edited by Pony Boy; 11-02-2013 at 05:28 PM..
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #14
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
That's 100 percent serious.

He went Kenoy Kennedy on the Broncos after that fine.
Missouribronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
I'm sure Rahim Moore looks all-pro when he doesn't have to tackle.

We'll see what happens when the actual hitting starts.
You can teach that though. You can't teach athleticism.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #16
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Part of the tackling problem is that he's built like a CB rather than a safety and a thin CB at that. It is tough to make open field tackles against TEs and WRs that are much bigger than you, to say nothing of being forced to make tackles around the LOS as an in the box safety. He's not an in the box safety and they have to organize the defense in such a way that the safeties are not interchangeable. In other words, they don't rotate strong/free based on the formation. There is a free and there is a strong, no matter the look. Otherwise, they'll formation you into a situation where Moore has to slide down into the box and the other safety has to rotate up to the middle third in response to the motion and then they can run right at him at the perimeter. He's got to be a free safety, period, out of the box at virtually all times. In those two safety high looks, he's a half field safety who's job is to break up deep to intermediate passes with his range (Cover 2 and Cover 2 Man) and in a single high safety look, his job is to be that single high centerfielder who can break up anything between the hashes as well as outside post routes that end up between the boundary and the hashmarks (Cover 3 and Cover 1). Depending on how good he is man to man, they can play some quarters with him if he can read routes well and is able to either bracket the outside WR on the fly or play M-M on the inside reciever if its a vertical route. His job, in any event, is in pass coverage, based on his skillset. The expectation that this rail thin kid is going to make tackles in space after the catch is not realistic, unless he uses the sideline as an ally and can get a great angle on the reciever.

All that said, I'm glad to hear he is apparently improving, as most guys should in Year 2.

BRING BACK BUTCH

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 08-07-2012 at 09:48 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #17
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Let's be clear here, you are NOT going to learn how to tackle in the NFL. DC's did not have the time to implement tackling elements into practices before the New CBA. What you can do is be a much better play reader and break quicker on the playcall. that can be learned at this level.

Kid is not going to wake up and tackle better one day. Name one safety who has done that in the NFL. I can name half a dozen high round safeties who struggled to make tackles in college and still struggle today. Taylor Mays, Reggie Nelson, Brandon Meriweather, and Michael Griffin all come to mind. Great at one thing, but not a true safety in any sense of the word.

This.

Anyone who watched him in college knows he could not tackle. He could very well go the way of taylor mays.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
A safety who can't tackle hopes to tackle. Hooray, fluff!
I watched him a lot at UCLA. He really just needs to learn to not think he has to run full speed all the time. You make your first move wrong at full speed you can't get back in position. At UCLA they just let him run around and try to make big plays. And he did. They can work on having him concentrate on not just getting to the spot, but getting their under control to make a tackle. He will never be Dennis Smith though, those days are gone I think. He's more a tweener IMO. But he has ball skills I saw them live and in person more then once. I still think he ends up a solid starter for the Broncos.

Also I bet he makes an interception this yr at a key point to help win a game. Not just a pick in the stat line, I'm saying a big one, like when you think all is lost he steps up and get a huge pick.

I think he can be a Tyrone Braxton type defender once he gets schooled up a bit.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #19
jsco70
Seasoned Veteran

I pretty watched him exclusively at the scrimmage. There wasn't much action his way, but two plays in particular stand out.

1. Pass out into the left flat, Moore read the play well and was in good position. However, upon contact he wrapped up but dropped right to his knees. Tackling 101 in my book says to stay on your feet and drive through the ball carrier.
2. Run play straight up the middle, I do not remember who the ball carrier was. Moore ran straight towards the ball, RB cutback to his right, Moore did not breakdown and was washed out of the play.

I have no doubt he can excel in coverage, not sure he'll ever get there in regard to tackling. Hopefully he will improve.
jsco70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #20
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Rahim is talented, if he wants to tackle (on any given play), he'll tackle. It may not be pretty but he can do it. In the NFL it comes down to "want" more the "can" IMHO.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #21
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
I know it was the in vogue Mane thing to completely rip the kid a new a-hole last year, and he did struggle, but one positive play stood out I remember in a goal-line situation against New England (regular season game) where he closed incredibly well and made a play in space that prevented a touchdown. A lot of these kids are so athletic out of high school and even in college, that they don't learn how to tackle. Hopefully, Moore's improvement will be sustained throughout preseason. Right now, we talkin bout practice.
good post
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #22
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
good post
Except for the "in vogue" in lieu of en vogue part...
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #23
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Except for the "in vogue" in lieu of en vogue part...
you crafty SOB you
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #24
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post

Adjusting to the speed makes a significant difference. He'll never be Chuck Cecil vs the run, but he'll improve.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #25
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

tons of dbacks struggled rookie season and got better. The notion no safetys ever improve is pretty funny to me. And if you think they don't work on tackling at the NFL level you are crazy. His poor tackling due to poor positioning because he doesn't take his time analyzing a play. He just starts running all over the place trying to use his speed and range.