The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
Domostick
Training Camp Junkie!

Wrath of Khan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis
Default 8/4/12 Scrimmage Updates

I just have some brief updates as the scrimmage only lasted about 20 minutes!

Offense -

Manning - Looked very sharp even though the second team OL was constantly letting pressure get through on the edges. Hit Stokley for a dump off when it looked like he was surrounded and going down. Then hit I believe Caldwell for a deep pass towards the right sideline. Finally hit Decker in the endzone to end the first series. He was intercepted by I believe Bruton but they just continued the series. Before the scrimmage he was doing endzone drills with Decker and he seemed to really be coaching him on where he expected Decker to be.

Hanie and Weber - Hanie didn't look bad but didn't look great, was mainly hitting little dump offs. Weber seemed unimpressive but did have a nice run up the middle.

Osweiler - Seemed very intimidating. Had good touch but you could tell he had the arm strength. Made good reads but as of now he is just a project.

OL - One of the tackles seemed to be getting beat like a drum, couldn't tell who it was. Had pretty good push on running downs especially up the middle.

Receivers -
Manning seemed to be mostly targeting Caldwell, Stokley and Decker. When he is in trouble he really looks for Stokley. I expect Decker and Stokley to be the main targets while Thomas is more of the big play threat. Decker was running impressive routes very crisp. Didn't see much of the tight ends.

Defense -
Second team defense seemed to have sloppy coverage against Manning but I guess that is just Manning being Manning. Defensive line was getting fantastic pressure on pass plays but I don't believe the first string OL was entirely in the game.

Once the first team defense came in wow you can tell the difference in coverage. The other QB's could only take dump offs as the coverage was tight. Porter looked very good. Dumervil and Miller converged a few times within seconds on Hanie and they will definitely wreak havoc.

Kind of disappointing in how short the scrimmage was!
Domostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domostick View Post
I just have some brief updates as the scrimmage only lasted about 20 minutes!

Offense -

Manning - Looked very sharp even though the second team OL was constantly letting pressure get through on the edges. Hit Stokley for a dump off when it looked like he was surrounded and going down. Then hit I believe Caldwell for a deep pass towards the right sideline. Finally hit Decker in the endzone to end the first series. He was intercepted by I believe Bruton but they just continued the series. Before the scrimmage he was doing endzone drills with Decker and he seemed to really be coaching him on where he expected Decker to be.

Hanie and Weber - Hanie didn't look bad but didn't look great, was mainly hitting little dump offs. Weber seemed unimpressive but did have a nice run up the middle.

Osweiler - Seemed very intimidating. Had good touch but you could tell he had the arm strength. Made good reads but as of now he is just a project.

OL - One of the tackles seemed to be getting beat like a drum, couldn't tell who it was. Had pretty good push on running downs especially up the middle.

Receivers -
Manning seemed to be mostly targeting Caldwell, Stokley and Decker. When he is in trouble he really looks for Stokley. I expect Decker and Stokley to be the main targets while Thomas is more of the big play threat. Decker was running impressive routes very crisp. Didn't see much of the tight ends.

Defense -
Second team defense seemed to have sloppy coverage against Manning but I guess that is just Manning being Manning. Defensive line was getting fantastic pressure on pass plays but I don't believe the first string OL was entirely in the game.

Once the first team defense came in wow you can tell the difference in coverage. The other QB's could only take dump offs as the coverage was tight. Porter looked very good. Dumervil and Miller converged a few times within seconds on Hanie and they will definitely wreak havoc.

Kind of disappointing in how short the scrimmage was!
Just curious... if he has a good arm and good touch and he makes good reads, how is he still a project? What else is there?
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
Just curious... if he has a good arm and good touch and he makes good reads, how is he still a project? What else is there?
He takes a while to make those reads. Because of that, he's holding on to the ball far too long. The kid has all the tools, but like every rookie he just needs the game to slow down some for him to be more effective. He should be the #2 going into the season.

Manning definitely didn't look sharp to me though. The 2nd team Dline was eating up the starting Oline.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:31 AM   #4
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
Accuracy, knowledge

but I agree project is the wrong word. Too me by the description he gave he isn't a project he is just inexperienced and needs reps.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:33 AM   #5
Agamemnon

A guy who only started one season at the college level is always going to be a project. Always.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:56 AM   #6
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I'm not as ready as everyone else to anoint Decker the main target over DT. It's super early we haven't even had a preseason game yet. I still believe they most dominant athlete usually pans out in these situations. But I'm not stubborn Decker on my short list of sleep WR in fantasy. I just think people already talking them both up too soon and they will be over drafted.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
jsco70
Seasoned Veteran

A couple of my observations from the endzone opposite the Manning to Decker TD:

1. Manning will be in big trouble if Kuper and Franklin miss any time.
2. McGahee looked great...had a huge stiffarm on someone and pickup up about 20 yards on a sweep left. He was running hard and hitting holes with speed and power.
3. Rahim Moore still takes terrible angles playing against the run.
4. Prater flat out sucked today. He missed more than he made I believe, including the warm up session.
5. Osweiler looked like one would expect from a rookie. He holds the ball too long, but he did make a couple of good throws. He looked much better than Hanie, but Hanie was going up against the first team.

Overall it was about what I expected. The defense is ahead of the offense at this point. However, the impact of not having Kuper and Franklin in the game was obvious. Manning didn't have much time and would have been sacked at least twice. One in particular where a blitzing LB came untouched through the right side. It would have been a clean shot. Even more troubling was the fact it was the second team D.

I also didn't think Manning looked sharp, but hard to fault him based on the pass protection. There were at least two passed that should have been picked off. A few of his throws seemed to hang up in the air too long. However, he hit a couple of throws in very tight windows, the Decker TD for example. I'm sure it will get better with more work over the next couple of weeks.
jsco70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
Domostick
Training Camp Junkie!

Wrath of Khan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsco70 View Post
A couple of my observations from the endzone opposite the Manning to Decker TD:

1. Manning will be in big trouble if Kuper and Franklin miss any time.
2. McGahee looked great...had a huge stiffarm on someone and pickup up about 20 yards on a sweep left. He was running hard and hitting holes with speed and power.
3. Rahim Moore still takes terrible angles playing against the run.
4. Prater flat out sucked today. He missed more than he made I believe, including the warm up session.
5. Osweiler looked like one would expect from a rookie. He holds the ball too long, but he did make a couple of good throws. He looked much better than Hanie, but Hanie was going up against the first team.

Overall it was about what I expected. The defense is ahead of the offense at this point. However, the impact of not having Kuper and Franklin in the game was obvious. Manning didn't have much time and would have been sacked at least twice. One in particular where a blitzing LB came untouched through the right side. It would have been a clean shot. Even more troubling was the fact it was the second team D.

I also didn't think Manning looked sharp, but hard to fault him based on the pass protection. There were at least two passed that should have been picked off. A few of his throws seemed to hang up in the air too long. However, he hit a couple of throws in very tight windows, the Decker TD for example. I'm sure it will get better with more work over the next couple of weeks.
I was sitting in the corner of the endzone opposite the Manning led offense the entire time. Who was in at tackle instead of Franklin?
Domostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domostick View Post
I was sitting in the corner of the endzone opposite the Manning led offense the entire time. Who was in at tackle instead of Franklin?
Chris Clark
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
Goobzilla
Lights Out B***h!

BA-ZING!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Erickson

20 minutes? I'm sure 41,000 people were thrilled with that. Can't wait for Thursday!
Goobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #11
broncos-rock
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
Chris Clark
He signed autographs for both of my kids. I told them he probably wouldn't make the team. We must of sit in the bad o-line section because my son also got Manny Ramirez. Fun times though and free!!
broncos-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #12
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I'm not as ready as everyone else to anoint Decker the main target over DT. It's super early we haven't even had a preseason game yet. I still believe they most dominant athlete usually pans out in these situations. But I'm not stubborn Decker on my short list of sleep WR in fantasy. I just think people already talking them both up too soon and they will be over drafted.
Does Manning typically even have a "main target". I think both receivers (and the tight-ends) are going to have monster years.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I was sitting in the south stands. the people right behind me, commentary the whole time... stinking annoying. looking forward to broncos football. the skydivers were awesome
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #14
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
Does Manning typically even have a "main target". I think both receivers (and the tight-ends) are going to have monster years.
Yes......the open man.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote