The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default OT: Go, Curiosity!

For those who might not know, at approx. 1:30 AM on Monday the newest Mars rover, Curiosity, will touch down on the surface of the planet. This thing is an engineering marvel and the technique they are using to land this craft is so dicy, they are calling the procedure, "Seven Minutes of Terror."

Here's the vid of what they are attempting: http://www.space.com/16265-7-minutes...ing-video.html

Let's hope they pull it off.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
For those who might not know, at approx. 1:30 AM on Monday the newest Mars rover, Curiosity, will touch down on the surface of the planet. This thing is an engineering marvel and the technique they are using to land this craft is so dicy, they are calling the procedure, "Seven Minutes of Terror."

Here's the vid of what they are attempting: http://www.space.com/16265-7-minutes...ing-video.html

Let's hope they programmed everything using the same units or made the appropriate conversions. Thatwould be a start.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Glad I am not the only person here interested in NASA!

I got our Daycare into the rover program, they built their own big rover and each kid built something they would like it to have. Lots of fun!

Hope this goes well, this is certainly not the KISS method. If the rockets don't fire the rover crashes.

NASA said that this was the best planetary insertion they have ever done so, so far things are on track.

It is amazing to think they are going to land what is essentially a mid sized car with a Lab and lasers on the surface of Mars!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
ant1999e
Ring of Famer

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE???

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Money Ball

ant1999e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

pretty nuts! thanks for sharin
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

great thread/ post. thanks!
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #7
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Glad I am not the only person here interested in NASA!

I got our Daycare into the rover program, they built their own big rover and each kid built something they would like it to have. Lots of fun!

Hope this goes well, this is certainly not the KISS method. If the rockets don't fire the rover crashes.

NASA said that this was the best planetary insertion they have ever done so, so far things are on track.

It is amazing to think they are going to land what is essentially a mid sized car with a Lab and lasers on the surface of Mars!
I just hope I get the chance to see Americans walking on the surface of Mars before I die.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
The bouncing beach ball method was an odd way to land a rover. Hopefully in the future they ditch the parachute portion of the descent.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
The bouncing beach ball method was an odd way to land a rover. Hopefully in the future they ditch the parachute portion of the descent.
Why? It's efficient, cheap and reliable -- at least compared to powered descent.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #10
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Less crazy than the bouncing ball method, IMHO
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

seems incredibly complicated, lots of opportunity for something to not go right.
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #12
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
seems incredibly complicated, lots of opportunity for something to not go right.
My 1st thought, problem is Curiosity is way too big to use the beach ball method, they could do it with the other smaller rovers and it worked well.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #13
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
I just hope I get the chance to see Americans walking on the surface of Mars before I die.
I kinda "meh" on sending people to Mars, it is a barren wasteland.

Now I would love to see people land on Europa or Titan in my life time and send back realtime (delayed only by distance) footage of Jupiter or Saturn from their moon.

I think there are better chances to find lifeforms (think animals or fish) on Titan or Europa than on Mars. Lot further to go though.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
BlueCrusher
Bowlen's drinking buddy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post
Let's hope they programmed everything using the same units or made the appropriate conversions. Thatwould be a start.
As a software engineer that worked my ass off on those programs at Lockheed in Waterton canyon for those missions to only see them fail.
+1
BlueCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #15
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:

Now I would love to see people land on Europa or Titan in my life time and send back realtime (delayed only by distance) footage of Jupiter or Saturn from their moon.

I think there are better chances to find lifeforms (think animals or fish) on Titan or Europa than on Mars. Lot further to go though.
100% with you right there. Though, it doesn't have to be humans going since we are still a long way off.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #16
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Get Gene Kranz in there. It would be dubbed ""2 minutes of ease landing".
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #17
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

I think i read somewhere Titan was the closest thing to earth, right? Atmosphere wise? Not that its livable, either, but still.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:49 AM   #18
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

awesome lets hope NASA stripped down cheaper missions pay off.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:55 AM   #19
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
awesome lets hope NASA stripped down cheaper missions pay off.
This isn't a stripped down mission. This was in the works before budget cuts and cost $2.5B.

Right now we rely on Russia to ferry our astronauts to the space station. We give NASA less money annually than we spent in Iraq and Afghanistan in a couple months.

In 2030 when China is the dominant force in space exploration and puts a man on Mars the American people will wonder how we let that happen.

The answer will be that a bunch of short sighted, selfish pricks voted for a bunch of other short sighted, selfish pricks and deconstructed the U.S. step by step to increase short term gain for the wealthiest citizens. Hell of a legacy we're leaving behind.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:48 AM   #20
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCrusher View Post
As a software engineer that worked my ass off on those programs at Lockheed in Waterton canyon for those missions to only see them fail.
+1
Stupid gravity.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #21
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
This isn't a stripped down mission. This was in the works before budget cuts and cost $2.5B.

Right now we rely on Russia to ferry our astronauts to the space station. We give NASA less money annually than we spent in Iraq and Afghanistan in a couple months.

In 2030 when China is the dominant force in space exploration and puts a man on Mars the American people will wonder how we let that happen.

The answer will be that a bunch of short sighted, selfish pricks voted for a bunch of other short sighted, selfish pricks and deconstructed the U.S. step by step to increase short term gain for the wealthiest citizens. Hell of a legacy we're leaving behind.
^ yep

And the American people will probably be paying for that Chinese mission.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #22
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

don't overlook the probability that we already have an operational replacement for the shuttle (Aurora). my guess is that it will be revealed within 10 years or so. watch for the unknown sounds/lights in the sky. we are not THAT stupid to rely on the Russkies for launch to orbit.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #23
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/ma...ity_news3.html

live coverage.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #24
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

This is a great app: http://eyes.nasa.gov/
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #25
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by orinjkrush View Post
don't overlook the probability that we already have an operational replacement for the shuttle (Aurora). my guess is that it will be revealed within 10 years or so. watch for the unknown sounds/lights in the sky. we are not THAT stupid to rely on the Russkies for launch to orbit.
I am not aware of a shuttle replacement project called Aurora. There was a Project Aurora that was never officially released to the public that was more of a SR-71 Blackbird replacement. Some say it never flew, I have heard it has, I would like to think we have one in a sunk works bunker somewhere ready to go if needed.

Constellation was Bush's Whitehouse push in his lameduck presidency years which was to get men back to the moon and maybe even Mars. It did stipulate the new Larger Orion Capsule that looked more like a Saturn V with 2 SRB's attached. It was to have test launches by 2012 but it would have also kept us in Low earth orbit for years until the longer distance Mars crafts were developed. Bush also wanted to see a Moon base as a jump off point for Mars.

Obama's WH stripped out Bush's WH Constellation, giving up to $1Bill each to 3 private contractors to service the Low Earth Orbit, ISS delivery bus.

WHen I first heard that I got bent about it and thought NASA was being gutted and my kids would be doomed to a life without a public Space Adminstration that would get people to deep space.

Then a few months after the Shuttle was decommishend the Obama WH announced the SLS Deepspace Platform.

When I went to KSC this summer and heard the talk about the SLS project I was won over by our tour guides. THey showed us the new Platforms for the SLS and Orion gantry that they need to make 3 times taller.

The SLS will have the 1st non-manned test launch for 2014. with manned testing in 2020ish.

I like it the more I think about it, My kids could be the ones to test out Orion in low Earth orbit some time in 2024.

I think SLS gives us the best chance to get to Mars or Titan, or Europa. before I get too old and die.

I think it makes sense to spend good money on a good project and let the suborbital/orbital privateers take care of the ISS