The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Beat the Chefs! Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default Hunter takes over Ayers starting spot

http://www.maxdenver.com/news/2012/0...rs-down-at-de/

Is the above just a TC motivation ploy or is Hunter going to send Ayers to the bench.

I am sure Ayers will still get some good running down snaps but he may be coming off the field more often than he used to.

Ayers always seemed to be able to push the edge back but never seemed to have the gas left to make a move and get to the QB. Plus he always seemed to me to be more of 1 trick pony. Maybe this will motivate him more?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

not buyin it.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Ayers has been very good on the run but apparently Hunter has looked wild this camp.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
Ayers has been very good on the run but apparently Hunter has looked wild this camp.
Ayers has had his "moments" both good and bad vs. The run. If hunter is practicing with a passion to see more snaps then have at it. Ayers IMO has shown very little production especially being a 1st pick.
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

It could be true, but don't read anything into the depth chart at this point. These coaches are doing a great job of rotating everyone into different packages.

Ty Warren was also running with the second team, and from all accounts he has been a brick wall against the run this camp. We know that he is our day 1 starter in the middle of the line. I also think they had Jeremy Beal playing some first team d-line.

This depth chart will be very erratic for a while (as these coaches have shown). However, reports are that Hunter has been extremely aggressive and disruptive. Competition is good, and Ayers better be looking over his shoulder.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

some other quotes from JDR, per CBSsportsline:

"I love Jason," said Del Rio. "Jason is a rugged defensive lineman; that's what we're looking for with our defensive line. He plays with great temperament, toughness, attitude. Every day he brings it with passion...I haven't seen (Hunter) yet not be ramped up and ready to play hard and tough," Del Rio said. "So that's why he's running with the ones right now. We're going to play the guys that are the most dependable, the toughest, the most physical up front and he's being all that right now for us."

and then,

"Robert has talent," Del Rio said. "He's working hard. He's probably working harder than he has in a while. We'll just continue to let camp play out and let things sort themselves out. But at this point, a week into it, Jason's had a stronger start to camp. That's all."

I heard the interview yesterday on 104.3. There's more that JDR said that CBS ommitted - DMac asked JDR if there is something else that he needs to see from Ayers after JDR got done praising Hunter, and he basically said (and I'm paraphrasing here), "yeah, what I just got done talking about with Jason. We need to see more of that," and then he continued on with "Robert has talent" bit above.

so, basically I'm taking away three things here:
  1. a fire has been lit under Hunter, and he's realizing that he's played for 3 teams in 5 years. As a 28 year old, he may not have much time left in the NFL and he's giving it everything he's got. Alfred was talking yesterday about how it took him 5 years in the league to begin playing with a sense of urgency. Hooray for Hunter for fulfilling his potential.
  2. this is a ploy to motivate Ayers. This is a wake-up call - a concrete demotion, followed out by being called out in the press. It's time for Mr Ayers to step up his game and get after it.
  3. a difference in style between JDR and DA. JDR was a fiery guy - he played with passion, he expects to see passion from his players. Not sure if that's what DA was all about. The fact that JDR says that Ayers is "probably working harder than he has in a while" and that it still isn't enough says to me that he hasn't been working hard enough up until now.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

also - from Cecil Lammey's notes:

Quote:

Jason Hunter is a man on a mission. Not only is he getting in a fight/shoving match every day but hes also in on every run play. He lit up McGahee on the inside during 9-on-7 drills.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
I just want a guy with the last name Hunter to be a ****ing bad ass

is that too much to ask?
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

May the best man win. Regardless, Denver needs to come out of this next draft or free agency with another edge man.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Put the best 11 on the field.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
I just want a guy with the last name Hunter to be a ****ing bad ass

is that too much to ask?
That would be sweet!
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #12
DENVERDUI55

I like hearing Hunter is fighting and creating havoc. We need the attitude that has been missing since Romo was here. I'm sure both will log a lot of minutes.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #13
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
I like hearing Hunter is fighting and creating havoc. We need the attitude that has been missing since Romo was here. I'm sure both will log a lot of minutes.
Al Wilson was nasty too!!! Damn nasty!!! Maybe not spit in your face nasty... but nasty either way.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #14
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
Al Wilson was nasty too!!! Damn nasty!!! Maybe not spit in your face nasty... but nasty either way.
He was but I loved the Romo talking shiat after a play and backing it up. He was our best playmaking LB we have had in awhile. He always stepped up and made a big INT, sack or fumble when we needed it. His speech on the field after first Superbowl was one of my favorites. I loved the AFC champ game when he was pounding his head to kordell Stewart after his INTs.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #15
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, because players who can't keep their **** in check during camp are sure to be penalty free come the regular season.

How 'bout they play with motivation and passion without being knuckleheads who need to start fights/shoving matches? That'd be real cool.

As for Ayers, sounds like this is about what he needs to take the next step in terms of commitment. He's been in the league long enough to start diversifying his tool set, he can't just rely on his power indefinitely and be something worthwhile.

I don't see us starting Hunter at strong side end come the regular season though. If Ayers doesn't step up to the challenge we'll just see a lot of Wolfe and maybe Jackson there along with Ayers on early downs, with Hunter taking over on passing downs. We can't expect a DE tandem of Hunter and Doom to be anything but awful against the run.

Hell, as it is I'm hoping they greatly reduce Doom's snaps in obvious running situations this season now that we've got a host of bigger bodies who can play DE.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #16
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

I think it's great that Hunter stepped up, it's easy to cheer for a guy who used to be a cop - we need more of those guys on the team.

wait, er.

[IMG]http://www.freakinawesomenetwork.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/I-REALLY-dont-think-hes-****ing-around.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by cmhargrove; 08-03-2012 at 01:29 PM..
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #17
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
He was but I loved the Romo talking shiat after a play and backing it up. He was our best playmaking LB we have had in awhile. He always stepped up and made a big INT, sack or fumble when we needed it. His speech on the field after first Superbowl was one of my favorites. I loved the AFC champ game when he was pounding his head to kordell Stewart after his INTs.
I don't think Romo would mesh very well with the new kinder cuddlier NFL. Something tells me he would spend a lot of time in Rodgers office.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #18
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Yeah, because players who can't keep their **** in check during camp are sure to be penalty free come the regular season.

How 'bout they play with motivation and passion without being knuckleheads who need to start fights/shoving matches? That'd be real cool.

As for Ayers, sounds like this is about what he needs to take the next step in terms of commitment. He's been in the league long enough to start diversifying his tool set, he can't just rely on his power indefinitely and be something worthwhile.

I don't see us starting Hunter at strong side end come the regular season though. If Ayers doesn't step up to the challenge we'll just see a lot of Wolfe and maybe Jackson there along with Ayers on early downs, with Hunter taking over on passing downs. We can't expect a DE tandem of Hunter and Doom to be anything but awful against the run.

Hell, as it is I'm hoping they greatly reduce Doom's snaps in obvious running situations this season now that we've got a host of bigger bodies who can play DE.
I'll take the penalty now and then if it comes with making plays. I have no problem with it.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #19
BroncoBeavis

More than any single player on D, I think JDR is the biggest offseason acquisition this year.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #20
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Dont forget that romo was just the vessel, it was a cocktail of chemicals that really made those moments special.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #21
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Hunter was easily the most vocal player on the line in camp. If you guys get a chance, listen to Del Rio's interview and he's asked specifically about Hunter and Ayers. Hunter is very clearly one of Del Rio's guys. I can tell you right now that if Hunter is playing on the line it is going to cause problems for the other team. Not just against the run but because Hunter never shuts his pie hole and is always trying to start crap with the linemen. It will send a message to the defense that that they want this to be a nasty one that plays with intensity.

Last edited by Kaylore; 08-03-2012 at 01:36 PM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #22
uplink
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Yeah watch Romo on the 1st
atlanta series of the Super Bowl. He was blasting throught blockers selling out to disruping the blocking on every running play, I think that set the tone for the game.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #23
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Someday I hope we don't have to drop a fromer first round player on the depth chart just get him "motivated".
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #24
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post

How about they put in the player who wants to be in there the most? Watching this defense last few years at times they look like they don't even want to be out there. Just goin through the motions and collecting a paycheck. Need some fire under them and del rio is the remedy for that. Weeding out the 80%ers for 100s
Old 08-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #25
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Hunter was easily the most vocal player on the line in camp. If you guys get a chance, listen to Del Rio's interview and he's asked specifically about Hunter and Ayers. Hunter is very clearly one of Del Rio's guys. I can tell you right now that if Hunter is playing on the line it is going to cause problems for the other team. Not just against the run but because Hunter never shuts his pie hole and is always trying to start crap with the linemen. It will send a message to the defense that that they want this to be a nasty one that plays with intensity.
Good it's about time
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote