The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default OT: Serious Question

Back in 2001, my step dad (wasn't my step dad at the time) was drinking with a friend at a bar in Sturgis South Dakota. Him and his friend got into her brand new Corvette. Driving over 100 mph got into a accident. He was thrown from the vehicle and she was found in the passenger side of the vehicle. She was killed in the accident..obviously he ended up living. Her family sometime down the road decided to press charges. They never preserved any evidence leaving the car sit outside in the weather etc...not preserving any evidence. He ended up in prison. There was never any proof that he was ever driving the car. The only "proof" was the HP that was first on scene that went back and changed his original statement. Saying he was 8-10 feet from the driverside door. They went on to repeal the conviction as 2 witnesses stating his friend was driving the car. He was let out after 6 years for about a year before they put him back in. After they had put him back in another witness came forword after reading an article in the newspaper stating she waas driving the car. They again let him out 6 months ago after doing another 2.5 years. Now they are trying to send him back in AGAIN!

I know some of this might not make any sense but how can they have 3 witnesses saying she was driving yet keep him in prison?? So my question is, does anyone know anyone anywhere that could look at this and set an inoccent man free?? Any help would be very much appreciated!!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Bronkota
Solid Starter

I know the story. The law in this state is pretty out of control. Too bad
he couldnt afford a Hollywood lawyer...
Bronkota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Threads that have "serious question" never end well.

My first thought is that he short is fishy. To be released from prison means his conviction was overturned under appeals, right? Which cannot be appealed by the prosecution under double jeopardy laws. He can appeal more than once but it vice versa.

That and how can a witness 6 years later say he wasn't driving. They won't go on just his word would they. Because anyone could theoretically say they witnessed it then.

That just seems fishy to me. Doesn't mean I am calling you or your stepdad a liar just seems odd. SoCal or BroncoBuff hopefully speak up as they have law in their educational background.

Edit: Saw that Bronkota knows the story. That is crazy ass laws if they can get away with that.

Last edited by theAPAOps5; 08-01-2012 at 07:30 PM..
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
Back in 2001, my step dad (wasn't my step dad at the time) was drinking with a friend at a bar in Sturgis South Dakota. Him and his friend got into her brand new Corvette. Driving over 100 mph got into a accident. He was thrown from the vehicle and she was found in the passenger side of the vehicle. She was killed in the accident..obviously he ended up living. Her family sometime down the road decided to press charges. They never preserved any evidence leaving the car sit outside in the weather etc...not preserving any evidence. He ended up in prison. There was never any proof that he was ever driving the car. The only "proof" was the HP that was first on scene that went back and changed his original statement. Saying he was 8-10 feet from the driverside door. They went on to repeal the conviction as 2 witnesses stating his friend was driving the car. He was let out after 6 years for about a year before they put him back in. After they had put him back in another witness came forword after reading an article in the newspaper stating she waas driving the car. They again let him out 6 months ago after doing another 2.5 years. Now they are trying to send him back in AGAIN!

I know some of this might not make any sense but how can they have 3 witnesses saying she was driving yet keep him in prison?? So my question is, does anyone know anyone anywhere that could look at this and set an inoccent man free?? Any help would be very much appreciated!!
Your stepdad clearly needs a good lawyer.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

I would think that double jeopardy would have kicked in after the first reversal..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
Threads that have "serious question" never end well.

My first thought is that he short is fishy. To be released from prison means his conviction was overturned under appeals, right? Which cannot be appealed by the prosecution under double jeopardy laws. He can appeal more than once but it vice versa.

That and how can a witness 6 years later say he wasn't driving. They won't go on just his word would they. Because anyone could theoretically say they witnessed it then.

That just seems fishy to me. Doesn't mean I am calling you or your stepdad a liar just seems odd. SoCal or BroncoBuff hopefully speak up as they have law in their educational background.

Edit: Saw that Bronkota knows the story. That is crazy ass laws if they can get away with that.
There were witnesses prior but his ****ty appointed lawyer didn't do his job! I'm sure none of them would have ever imagined an innocent man would be put in prison. Not sure why someone he has never met would come forward and say they saw her driving! Not only that, there was and still isn't any evidence of him ever driving the car!!
Old 08-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Your stepdad clearly needs a good lawyer.
$$$$$...don't have it!
Old 08-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Did they happen to take any pictures of him after the accident showing any injuries? If he was wearing a seatbelt, or she was, perhaps there is a bruise, and the line woudl cross the body only one way depending on which seat you were in.

Sounds like they probably didn't have seatbelts on tho.
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

I guess I would research other groups that have freed other innocent people, do lots of calling to find out what they would suggest to do and see if they can't connect you with some firm that wants to take it on pro-bono.

How much time is he looking at doing? I would guess the longer he is facing the more chance you would have to get help.

Good luck! Maybe you can find someone who is either trying to make a name for himself, do a good deed, or get some pub.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I guess I would research other groups that have freed other innocent people, do lots of calling to find out what they would suggest to do and see if they can't connect you with some firm that wants to take it on pro-bono.

How much time is he looking at doing? I would guess the longer he is facing the more chance you would have to get help.

Good luck! Maybe you can find someone who is either trying to make a name for himself, do a good deed, or get some pub.
He is charged with vehicle homicide...so 25 years max and parole at 13...he's done a total of 11. He was in a minimum security prison prior to being let out the second time. I think this whole thing is ****ed up!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

obvious your Mom likes bad boys if she was to marry a ex/current con. Good luck to him if he was really innocent.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
obvious your Mom likes bad boys if she was to marry a ex/current con. Good luck to him if he was really innocent.
Two different judges thought he was innocent enough to let him out. With 3 different witnesses, there is no doubt in my mind he's innocent. It's the state of South Dakota's justice system that is ****ed up!

They were together prior to him going to prison.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #13
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

Quote:
Two different judges thought he was innocent enough to let him out. With 3 different witnesses, there is no doubt in my mind he's innocent. It's the state of South Dakota's justice system that is ****ed up!

They were together prior to him going to prison.
Now I'm not an expert, but I have some experience. Double jeopardy should definitely apply based on what I'm hearing.

Also, just looking at reasonable doubt and the burden of proof it doesn't seem like you need a great lawyer it just sounds like you need a decent one!
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
Now I'm not an expert, but I have some experience. Double jeopardy should definitely apply based on what I'm hearing.

Also, just looking at reasonable doubt and the burden of proof it doesn't seem like you need a great lawyer it just sounds like you need a decent one!
The one he has now seems pretty good...I would love an explanation of how you can put a man in prison with no proof of guilt but 3 different people proving his innocense! I'm sure there is a lot im missing but I've given the gist of it all...It pisses me off! Imagine anyone you know really well being thrown in prison like that...11 year and prolly more he will never get back!!
Old 08-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #15
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissys

Prisons are big business.

Lots of bad stories.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #16
extralife
Ring of Famer

The story you tell sounds blatantly illegal, which means either there's something about double jeopardy laws that I don't know, or you're lying/leaving things out.

Even if she was driving, is there something in the law regarding the culpability of other people in the car? If this woman was over the legal limit and he both knew it and got in the car with her behind the wheel--is that against the law, or otherwise relevant in some way in a vehicular homicide case? Makes him a ****ing idiot either way, of course. But I guess they don't put people in jail for being idiots (insert joke).
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:18 AM   #17
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

We're definitely missing a lot of detail here. Necessary detail to give any advice worth a damn. I know you think this is the "gist" of what happened, but it couldn't possibly go down that way, no matter the state it occurred in. Double jeopardy laws are double jeopardy laws. You simply cannot be taken out of prison and put back in for the same crime 3 different times, when the only new "evidence" supports your innocence. Something else is going on here.

Honest advice: let him finish out his term. He's already done 11 out of 13 anyway, so he'll be out in 2. Any attempted appeal he files now would eat up a good deal of that and probably wouldn't do much good anyway. Sucks, but that's the way it goes sometimes.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #18
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
We're definitely missing a lot of detail here. Necessary detail to give any advice worth a damn. I know you think this is the "gist" of what happened, but it couldn't possibly go down that way, no matter the state it occurred in. Double jeopardy laws are double jeopardy laws. You simply cannot be taken out of prison and put back in for the same crime 3 different times, when the only new "evidence" supports your innocence. Something else is going on here.

Honest advice: let him finish out his term. He's already done 11 out of 13 anyway, so he'll be out in 2. Any attempted appeal he files now would eat up a good deal of that and probably wouldn't do much good anyway. Sucks, but that's the way it goes sometimes.
No, i'm not leaving much out. They are saying because these "new witnesses" came to surface since after the state convicted him, that he has to be retried by the state. It is not 100% he will have to go back but the state wants him back in there like ASAP. With the way this thing has gone, i would not be surprised for him to go back. There is nothing much else to it, i'm betting its that the state does not want to admit they put an innocent man in prison for 11 years. Easy to say just do the last 2 years when you're guilty. He's been fighting it since he got in there! The state of SD is jacked up man, i'm telling you!
Old 08-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #19
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
$$$$$...don't have it!
IF your step dad is indeed innocent, but he doesn't have any money, he needs to go public with his story. He needs to tell any reporter/journalist, etc. that will listen.

If he's NOT innocent, I doubt he will be willing to do this b/c it could come back and bite him even harder in the ass.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #20
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
IF your step dad is indeed innocent, but he doesn't have any money, he needs to go public with his story. He needs to tell any reporter/journalist, etc. that will listen.

If he's NOT innocent, I doubt he will be willing to do this b/c it could come back and bite him even harder in the ass.
It's been in the paper multiple times...3 different people said they saw her driving...the witnesses would have come forward years ago had they ever been contacted by his original lawyer! At one least found out he went to prison by reading an article in the paper about it.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #21
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
It's been in the paper multiple times...3 different people said they saw her driving...the witnesses would have come forward years ago had they ever been contacted by his original lawyer! At one least found out he went to prison by reading an article in the paper about it.
then he needs to hire a PR person who makes this a big story. Fire the damn lawyers as they are doing nothing to help him and you and your family should pay a PR firm to take his damn story public. Like really, really LOUD.

If the state is indeed abusing it's power, the media (not the local yokel, small town dip****s who are in bed with the police, but a large media/news agency) loves this type of story.

Have your step dad admit his culpability (I was young and dumb and made a crappy decision, but I was NOT driving and I've served my time, yadda, yadda, yadda).

Or, do as Boston suggests and just do the rest of the time and be done with it.

It's really up to him. If he's truly innocent and wants some "justice" for himself, he needs to be pro-active. Otherwise, seeyah later...
Old 08-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #22
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
then he needs to hire a PR person who makes this a big story. Fire the damn lawyers as they are doing nothing to help him and you and your family should pay a PR firm to take his damn story public. Like really, really LOUD.

If the state is indeed abusing it's power, the media (not the local yokel, small town dip****s who are in bed with the police, but a large media/news agency) loves this type of story.

Have your step dad admit his culpability (I was young and dumb and made a crappy decision, but I was NOT driving and I've served my time, yadda, yadda, yadda).

Or, do as Boston suggests and just do the rest of the time and be done with it.

It's really up to him. If he's truly innocent and wants some "justice" for himself, he needs to be pro-active. Otherwise, seeyah later...
His lawyer is pro bono. The current one seems to give a **** and be doing a decent job. He shouldn't have to throw money, he or my family does not have, at some PR firm. How much are we talking and what firms?? I have never done anything like this before...
Old 08-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #23
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
His lawyer is pro bono. The current one seems to give a **** and be doing a decent job. He shouldn't have to throw money, he or my family does not have, at some PR firm. How much are we talking and what firms?? I have never done anything like this before...
I worked for a small PR firm as an intern in college but that was YEARS ago. We advertised & did the promo work for the Pope's US tour back in 1993?... good Lord that sucked... anyhow, that's my suggestion. Try googling it and calling some PR firms and ask them first if they even want to work with you and if they say sure, then start talking money.

If your step dad is squeaky clean outside of this one incident, a PR firm may be willing to do some pro bono work too with the option of making money on the story if it gets lots of publicity? I'm really not sure how a PR firm works as far as getting paid, I was just a low level intern/grunt worker in college.

The PR thing is just a suggestion. If that doesn't work send his story to someone who has media exposure like a well known personality? Perhaps they will pick up the story.

I dunno, if the lawyer you currently have is worth the paper he prints on, he should be able to do something, right?
Old 08-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #24
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
I worked for a small PR firm as an intern in college but that was YEARS ago. We advertised & did the promo work for the Pope's US tour back in 1993?... good Lord that sucked... anyhow, that's my suggestion. Try googling it and calling some PR firms and ask them first if they even want to work with you and if they say sure, then start talking money.

If your step dad is squeaky clean outside of this one incident, a PR firm may be willing to do some pro bono work too with the option of making money on the story if it gets lots of publicity? I'm really not sure how a PR firm works as far as getting paid, I was just a low level intern/grunt worker in college.

The PR thing is just a suggestion. If that doesn't work send his story to someone who has media exposure like a well known personality? Perhaps they will pick up the story.

I dunno, if the lawyer you currently have is worth the paper he prints on, he should be able to do something, right?
If all else fails. We'll see if he has to go back etc. I think what is going to end up happening is that he will be retried by the state. Seems like they have an agenda though...

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/fed...be81215ab.html
Old 08-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #25
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Did the investigators examine the position of the driver's seat to see where it was positioned? How tall is your step dad? How tall was the woman?

Was she seatbelted into the passenger's seat when the paramedics arrived?

Does your stepdad remember what happened, or was he at a blackout level of intoxication?
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote