The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2012, 02:35 AM   #1
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15
Default Broncos could move Franklin to guard

Per Legwold. Would love to see Franklin replacing Beadles and having Ryan Harris back at RT. The Kuper and Franklin tandem is pretty good in short yardage though.

Quote:
The Broncos have kicked around the idea of moving Franklin to guard because he's a powerful force in the running game and has struggled in pass protection. Moving him inside would take advantage of what he does best and limit his exposure to one-on-one pass protection situations against more athletic defensive ends.
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...s-availability
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2012, 02:37 AM   #2
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
Per Legwold. Would love to see Franklin replacing Beadles and having Ryan Harris back at RT. The Kuper and Franklin tandem is pretty good in short yardage though.

I agree, to tell you the truth I forgot Harris was even on the team. Is his back healthy? If so he has to be better than Franklin. I also believe with Harris' size he would be better than Beadles at guard.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:42 AM   #3
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

That's been talked about around here for awhile now. He just looks like a guard to me.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:21 AM   #4
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post

Ryan Harris was good when healthy both run and pass. I think our short yardage improved last year with kuper and franklin though without looking at specific numbers
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:21 AM   #5
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

He's always looked like a guy who'd be a beast at Guard, plenty of people on here have been saying it for a while. With Manning at QB it's not as big a problem as it would have been with him protecting Tebow's blind side, but a move still makes sense given how poor Beadles has been at G.

The problem with committing to a move is that you're putting a lot of trust in Ryan Harris staying healthy, which is basically insane. I'm pretty confident that Harris would do a good job as the starting RT as long as he's healthy, but I just expect him to break down at some point.

If Franklin goes to LG then who's our #3 OT?
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:51 AM   #6
illbroncsfn
Ring of Famer

adopt a bronco- Barrel Man's Barrel

Just get the best 5 lineman out there......
illbroncsfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:54 AM   #7
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
If Franklin goes to LG then who's our #3 OT?
A few options:

* You could always shuffle Franklin back to RT and insert Beadles at LG?
* Beadles has RT experience himself from his rookie season.
* The team likes, and has liked, Chris Clark- playing as their 6th lineman in Jumbo sets last season.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:06 AM   #8
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
A few options:

* The team likes, and has liked, Chris Clark- playing as their 6th lineman in Jumbo sets last season.
The problem with that is one injury causes 2 changes your line. They like to avoid those situations. Still a line with Beadles out of lineup sounds good to me. If Blake could win the center job I would be really excited. I just don't think much of Beadles and Walton. They seem soft to me.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #9
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
A few options:

If we move Franklin I'd like to see us commit to the change and stick with it, so I'd much prefer the Beadles at RT option.

Forgot that he'd played a few different spots, he'd be a useful backup with that versatility. Also, most of his problems seem to come with just getting overpowered by bigger DT's, which wouldn't be so much of an issue at OT. He's actually decent in space, could be a better fit at OT.

Glad to hear they like Clark, big difference between being a 6th lineman in Jumbo sets and going one on one with top class DE's though, surely. Hopefully he'd be able to step up, or maybe we can pick up a decent OT when teams make final roster cuts?

Hope you're enjoying the job btw Montrose, sounds like fun!
Old 07-28-2012, 05:43 AM   #10
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

There is a few of us who have stated that Franklin would make a better guard than tackle. I hope the move is made since pass protection is key to keeping Manning healthy, among other reasons. I am just not a big fan of Beadles, who seems to get pushed around too much IMO and probably better off at RT, but hopefully Harris is healthy enough to start there.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:21 AM   #11
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Agree with the move. His pass blocking issues are of concern. The fastest way to the qb is a straight line. If your interior line struggles with pass blocking, that can get ugly.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #12
Lolad
Ring of Famer

Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Last year I thought was made beadles serviceable was the fact that he was great at pulling on run plays. I'm not sure if Franklin is fast enough to be a pulling guard.
Lolad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #13
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Agree with the move. His pass blocking issues are of concern. The fastest way to the qb is a straight line. If your interior line struggles with pass blocking, that can get ugly.
Your not going to beat Franklin inside 1-1. He's a beast. His pass blocking issues are foot-speed related, with defensive ends getting off the ball before he can get to the outside. Once he's set out on the edge, however, you rarely saw anyone even challenge him.

I do think he can develop into a really good tackle, as his feet issues appear to be more technique than physical ability.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #14
GreasyQtip
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
A few options:

Was reading a blog that said after practice Kuper was working on snapping and playing some center.

At this point, I like continuity, but the idea of Clady-Beadles-Kuper-Franklin-Harris gets me hot
GreasyQtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #15
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyQtip View Post
Was reading a blog that said after practice Kuper was working on snapping and playing some center.

At this point, I like continuity, but the idea of Clady-Beadles-Kuper-Franklin-Harris gets me hot
If Blake could hit the ground running then Clady-Franklin-Blake-Kuper-Harris might be the optimal grouping, though I'd be tempted to stick Kuper next to Clady and have an awesome left side.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #16
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolad View Post
Last year I thought was made beadles serviceable was the fact that he was great at pulling on run plays. I'm not sure if Franklin is fast enough to be a pulling guard.
He's plenty fast enough to pull. Getting somewhere quickly when you know exactly where you are going (pulling), is much easier than adjusting to outside defenders in open space (pass blocking).

I have been one of the proponents of the Franklin to LG scenario ever since we drafted him. He really played well and surprised me last year, but he has the chance to be a pro-bowl caliber Guard IMO. If Harris is truly healthy, this is a no brainier for me. The last time we had Harris, his pass blocking skills were light years ahead of Franklin's (no disrespect to Orlando - just the facts).
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #17
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyQtip View Post

I posted this yesterday, nobody seemed to catch on..
Franklin to RG and I'd even see what Blake is made of at LG..
Clady, Blake, Kuper, Franklin, Harris..

But I'd rather see- Clady, Franklin, Blake, Kuper, Harris
Old 07-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #18
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

moving him off the RT position kinda scares me. Harris' back needs to be fully healthy to make that move without downgrading the line(though if Beadles or Walton is moved out it's addition by subtraction)
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #19
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

What about Clady-Kuper-Blake-Franklin-Harris?

Keep Franklin on the right side, and Kuper (when healthy) should pretty much own wherever he goes.

This could dominate in the rushing game and great pass-pro, to boot.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #20
Bigdawg26
Ring of Famer

Just let it happen!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk idiot kicker View Post
What about Clady-Kuper-Blake-Franklin-Harris?

Keep Franklin on the right side, and Kuper (when healthy) should pretty much own wherever he goes.

This could dominate in the rushing game and great pass-pro, to boot.
I agree with this, and I think that would be the best 5 linemen on field. The only thing is that can you really expect Ryan Harris to stay healthy? If he can then great, but it's hard to expect Harris to go a season without his back going out!
Bigdawg26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #21
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 View Post
I agree with this, and I think that would be the best 5 linemen on field. The only thing is that can you really expect Ryan Harris to stay healthy? If he can then great, but it's hard to expect Harris to go a season without his back going out!
Then, all Franklin would have to do is swing outside. It wouldn't be that big of a move. A little built-in insurance, just in case.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

This Oline could be something special, whatever the final lineup. Given that we now have the QB who is the best at setting up assignments and the fastest in the league at getting rid of the ball, there could be some real fireworks out of this offense.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #23
Drek
Ring of Famer

I'd love it, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Last season they played Franklin at RT and Beadles at LG even though Franklin spent more time playing guard than tackle in college, while Beadles spent more time playing tackle than guard in college and split time at both positions as a rookie.

So unless they're really impressed by Harris early on or they've suddenly found something that makes them give up on Franklin as a RT I just don't see it actually happening.

It would be ideal though. Then we could have a seven man line of:
Clady - Franklin - Walton - Kuper - Harris
With Blake pushing Walton and being a backup C/OG, and Beadles would be a quality swing tackle/swing guard double purpose guy.

That's some nice depth as we could lose any one player on the OL and not need to move anyone else off position, and could lose any two interior guys without having to move guys. Only if we lost both Clady and Harris would we then be up against it, and Beadles at LT, Franklin at RT is better 3rd and 4th OT depth than almost any team out there.

Its the quick answer to improving the OL, even if Blake doesn't hit the ground running and take over an interior OL job.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #24
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

But why hasn't Harris been able to stick with one team for very long?
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #25
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
But why hasn't Harris been able to stick with one team for very long?
He's never healthy.

He wasn't healthy all last season for the Eagles. He left here after being inconsistent from a health standpoint every year except for '08.

If the team is moving Franklin in to get Harris on the field it's the wrong thing to do because Harris probably isn't going to make it more than half the season again. If they're moving Franklin in because they think he will be a much better guard and the presence of Harris and versatility of Beadles only makes it easier then it's a good move.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote