The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default Khan's camp report 7/26

Hello everyone. Just back from the biggest camp I have ever seen in my many years of going. I got there about forty five minutes early and the line was to the parking lot looping around on itself once. I had to park pretty far away. Worried I wasn't going to get in, Socalorado urged me to imagine my spot. I envisioned a shady area under a tree near the end zone. Amazingly I was able to find such a spot when I get in, so thanks for the positive affirmations. So let's get this thing started.

Caveat: I didn't see everything and this was one practice of training camp. Do not come back and complain I promised Matt Willis was going to be a pro-bowler because he had a good day in camp.

There were no pads today, which kind of sucked. Some of the drills were half speed. That said, some of the linemen did some pretty decent hitting and a few drills and scrimmages were full speed, so there was a lot of fun.

QB's

Manning: He looks fantastic. I don't know what the complaints about him are or were, but his throws had zip, were on time and accurate. I counting three throws that were off. On was a little behind the receiver, one was an overthrow on an out to the running back, and the two others were a bit low. I should point out again I didn't see every throw. I just saw four bad ones. There were an exceptionally large number of incredible ones. He checks down quickly. He looks players off and makes throws with his peripheral vision. His favorite targets are Tamme and Decker. More on those later. He stays in his pocket and steps into the rush to plant and make the throw. Manning is as advertised, or many NOT as advertised since all I've heard is he's weak, rusty and one hit from being a headless corpse. It was so weird seeing him under center. He made some really great throws.

Caleb Hanie: The first thing I noticed was how small he is. He's listed as 6'2" but I felt that was generous. Hanie is pretty bad. His deep ball isn't accurate. He tends to float his passes to get them over the line of scrimmage and he makes weird reads. I will say he isn't ever behind his receivers. They are either on target or too high and in front. Overall, I was not impressed.

Brock Osweiler: Brock was the biggest surprise of camp for me. His size is immediately apparent. The next thing you notice is his freaky dexterity. Someone of his size shouldn't move so well. He is smooth. He has excellent feet and his release is effortless. He has the strongest arm of all four QB's. He really can put some heat on his throws. Most surprising, and more importantly, Osweiler is accurate. He made several throws that were on time and exactly where they needed to be. He still had rookie moments. There were a few times he didn't know what read to make and just took off running. One of his throws were almost intercepted had the receiver not broken it up. So he is raw. Having said that, he's about as good as Hanie is right now. That's not saying much, but for the first camp as a second round rookie, I was totally blown away.

Adam Weber: I would say he was the worst of the four, which was disappointing. I had thought he was one of the better throwers last camp, but he seemed to be having a hard time today. He had some picks, deflections and some bad reads.

WR's

Eric Decker: If you want to put money on DT or Decker having a better year, I would say Decker. His route running is looking really good. He beat Champ a few times and is already developing chemistry with Manning. He's a large receiver but plays like a small-to midsize one. They ran a lot of routs inside with him - more than I expected. I think he could develop into a decent slot receiver in addition to his outside game. He had some nice catches.

Demaryius Thomas: Thomas will make his money on the yards after catch this year. He is still working on the circus catch, so despite his size, I didn't see a lot of jump ball catches. What he is doing is a lot of quick strikes that he takes the distance. Dude has a second gear. I saw two quick catches, a slant and a curl that grabbed and then exploded after the catch that left the corner straggling. Other than those few throws, Decker and Caldwell seemed to get more balls from Manning, though.

Andre Caldwell: Andre seems to have also developed a chemistry with Manning. He made some nice deep catches and is one of the more polished receivers. He made one catch that really got the crowd going on a deep throw from Manning. I would say (again, after one camp) he and Decker are your X and Z.

Best of the rest: Willis had some really nice throws. I think Manning likes him to some measure but he rarely gets to work with the ones. Mark Dell had some really nice catches as well. Greg Orton had a nice deep catch on one play as well.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

gutless drunk!
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

Thanks for the report Kaylore.. good stuff as always..
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
swaiy

Thanks for this and that "headless corpse" comment literally had me laughing. Hahhhh I started laughing just typing it.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
JJG
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

fantastic work! thanks Kayore
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
rideco

Thanks for the report..
Old 07-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer

Ole J

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter

awesome... thanks!
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #8
Binkythefrog
Seasoned Veteran

Really appreciate these reports, better than anything I read anywhere else. Thanks!
Binkythefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
enjolras
Ring of Famer

I live for these yearly write-ups Thanks so much!
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Eric Decker: If you want to put money on DT or Decker having a better year, I would say Decker. His route running is looking really good. He beat Champ a few times and is already developing chemistry with Manning. He's a large receiver but plays like a small-to midsize one. They ran a lot of routs inside with him - more than I expected. I think he could develop into a decent slot receiver in addition to his outside game. He had some nice catches.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

i dunno about decker. Pricejj told us he is **** because he wasn't getting separation in minicamp. He read about it on twitter!
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
phibacka31
Ring of Famer

Leggo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

As others have stated... Thank you!
I really do appreciate these reports!
REP
phibacka31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Listening to the radio, basically everyone who has called in is just raving about Osweiller from this morning. Good for him..
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
ppablo

Awesome report! Thx
Old 07-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #15
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

well you just made gunns day Kaylor...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #16
MABroncoFan
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

Great report, thanks!

Does Colquitt have any competition?
MABroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #17
Drunken.Broncoholic

Word! Let's hope Hanie never sees the field. I'd much rather have Brock be the back up
Old 07-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #18
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

DB's

Champ: Champ got a beat a few times today. I think he is starting to show his age a bit. They were all on somewhat easy stop-go stuff. Nothing deep down field. But his quicks are definitely showing their age. I will say he got beat on two seven yard catches from Manning to Decker, but recovered nicely and deflected one to Decker. He's still the best CB on the team, but as someone who's watched him since he got here, he ain't what he was.

Rahim Moore: Rahim is starting! This was really surprising. He actually looked like he was supposed to as well. He didn't get challenged a lot and while he swarmed on running plays, with contact minimal, it's curious to see if he's learned to tackle. But the staff likes him, for now.

Mike Adams: Mike looked pretty good. He really does a good job talking to the other defensive backs and making sure they're where they need to be. I think this, as much as his playing ability, is why he was signed. His coverage is "solid" but not perfect. I couldn't see his run defending ability, but like I said, he seems to be taking a leadership roll on the field which was encouraging since we lost Dawkins.

Drayton Florence and Tracy Porter: I have these two together because they played very similarly and they were the new free agent acquisitions. Each made some really nice plays in the passing game. I believe Porter got a pick on one play. The secondary was forcing a lot of dump off throws and keeping the ball from going down field. It was encouraging - even with Manning at the helm.

Chris Harris: Chris was active today. He looks like he's been working on using his hands since last I saw him in camp. He made some break ups which was nice to see.

I would say where we used to have one awesome corner and then garbage. Now we have four really good corners. I think that bodes well. Also, my favorite undrafted rookie safety Duke Ihenacho got a pick, so that was pretty cool.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #19
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Thanks Kaylore.

Anyone else have problems on focusing on work during the first few Training Camp days?
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #20
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Khan....stud.

SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #21
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

The preseason has officially started for me...

Thanks Khan!
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #22
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Damn! I can almost smell the grass!

Go, Khan!

BTW, notice if Syd'quan got any playing time?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #23
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Others who stood out:

Jacob Tamme: This guy is probably who you want in fantasy (if you're basing this off one practice. lol) Tamme was Manning's go-to guy. In the individual drills, I didn't think he had the best hands. Julius Thomas appeared to. But against the defense with "live bullets", Tamme is the man. He gets open a lot, and the good coverage meant Manning was checking down quite a bit and that meant a lot of grabs for Tamme. Obviously the experience with Manning has helped him.

Ty Warren: Ty Warren honestly looked like a slightly faster Bunkley. He mostly was playing the run, but he was being disruptive. They were allowing some decent contact, especially at the end and Warren was closing his gab pretty well.

Ryan Harris: It was weird seeing him back on the Broncos. He actually held his own ok during the one-on-one drills. I'm curious what they plan to do with him.

Sealver Siliga: This is a large man and while he mostly played the second team, he was consistently disruptive in both the run and passing situations. I was thought he did a good job using his hands too. Everyone one he went against he could at least get them to move backwards.

Malik Jackson: He is very quick and very strong. I don't know why his draft status was what it was, but his speed and power stood out to me. I am curious how he does with the mental assignments, because he is very athletic.

CJ Davis: This dude got owned today. Every time I was watching one of the people above do something especially impressive, CJ was usually picking himself up off the turf. Bad day.

Wanted to see, but didn't get a chance to: Miller, Fanin, Stokley (was he even out there?), Julius Thomas, Derek Wolfe.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #24
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

threads like these are my favorite thing about the internet.
mwill07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #25
HooptyHoops
We need a DE

C'mon D

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Thanks for the write-up Kaylor.....we all appreciate it, immensely!
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote