The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Siberian Husky...

My family is considering getting a dog. I prefer midsized, if not under-midsized dogs. I've read on the Internets that the Siberian Husky is a mid-sized beast, and I'm intrigued. Would love to hear what people's experiences are with this breed.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I had one for 13 years. Lots of personality, a lot of fun...but i wouldnt recommend them. They tend to be INCREDIBLY stubborn, you cant let them off the leash (its their inclination to run) and forget about every wearing black again because their white sheds everywhere. They dig huge holes in the backyard, they are ultra hyper, and its not unlike them to destroy things. No regrets with my dog, she was a great dog (if a huge PITA), but i just want to show what youre getting yourself into
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Cool dogs and highly intelligent, but I also wouldn't recommend them. Co-sign 100 percent with them being incredibly stubborn. My aunt had one that would literally bolt off leash constantly and chewed everything. They are also highly instinctive and have a high prey drive, which can be dangerous when it encounters other small animals. My aunt finally had to put her's to sleep after he seriously wounded and death shook another smaller dog at a dog park.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
My family is considering getting a dog. I prefer midsized, if not under-midsized dogs. I've read on the Internets that the Siberian Husky is a mid-sized beast, and I'm intrigued. Would love to hear what people's experiences are with this breed.
First off some background on the dogs I have raised. Jindos, Elkhounds, Golden Retrievers. Huskeys are one of those big loveable type breeds that are great as long as the owner is responsible and makes the dog feel part of the pack. If not they can get mean and snippy. They don't make great guard dogs as they don't really want to bite humans. They do however make a good watchdog that will bark at strangers and wag tail for friends.

They have a lot of energy and love to play. Medically they are prone to hip problems like most large breeds. Also my friend who has owned a few claims their skin is pretty sensative.

Now if you want to have an open mind check out Korean Jindos. They don't get along well with other animals but are great dogs. Independent, agile, fast, great hunters, and no genetic problems. My current Jindo will be 15 in January, she still hunts the neighborhood cats and possums lol. She has been to vet only for shots and to have her ears cleaned out once.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:43 PM   #5
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
Cool dogs and highly intelligent, but I also wouldn't recommend them. Co-sign 100 percent with them being incredibly stubborn. My aunt had one that would literally bolt off leash constantly and chewed everything. They are also highly instinctive and have a high prey drive, which can be dangerous when it encounters other small animals. My aunt finally had to put her's to sleep after he seriously wounded and death shook another smaller dog at a dog park.
I'd say with a Huskey, it needs a dominant owner who shows that it is bottom of the pack. Your aunt may not have trained the Huskey right, because normally they listen well when trained.

Dog enthusiasts would probably disagree with the breed being categorized as stubborn. They do have a small animal prey drive.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #6
KillerBronco#76
Perennial Pro-bowler

"The Beast" From the east

Very independent breed a little too much wolf in them, and boundless energy. if your looking for a wolf based breed go with the german sheppard, the same intelligence but much easier to train.
KillerBronco#76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

What they're saying above is true. They are also master escape artists and will need some form of electric fencing (or fencing they can't dig under or jump over) to keep them confined. All in all there are a ton of breeds that are better suited to living in a home. As a vet I've seen a few well-behaved huskies, but far more that are extremely stubborn and just tend to make trouble.

I'd recommend a border collie as a somewhat similar alternative, if you can handle a high energy dog. Much easier to train, less destructive and just generally less hassle as they seem to accept their role more easily than huskies do. Just make sure you spend the time to train them and give them adequate exercise (as should be the case with any dog).

Last edited by misturanderson; 07-25-2012 at 11:54 PM..
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #8
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
I'd say with a Huskey, it needs a dominant owner who shows that it is bottom of the pack. Your aunt may not have trained the Huskey right, because normally they listen well when trained.

Dog enthusiasts would probably disagree with the breed being categorized as stubborn. They do have a small animal prey drive.
No doubt that a forceful and well educated owner is critical and my aunt was certainly not the right type of person to have a Husky. In that regard though, I don't think a stubborn, strong-willed, dog with a heightened prey drive and one that is happiest in a pack setting outdoors would be the best choice to have around children in a suburban environment. Small animal prey drive can also be triggered when kids act like well, kids. I mean on a scale of 1-5 easy to hard breeds to own, a husky is about a 4. I think most knowledgeable dog enthusiasts would agree that it's a lot more challenging, generally speaking than owning a Golden Retriever for example.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #9
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Most people who have dogs who escape aren't excerised enough and trained properly.

I don't think dog breeders would say Huskeys need an electric fence lol. Not when properly trained and worked each day.

But if you don't want to play with your dog an hour a day at least, every day, then don't get a high energy dog like a Huskey. They will end up destroying, digging, chewing, and trying to get out to find something to do.

Breeds like a Huskey need a job to do every day.

Someone mentioned German Shepards. They need the same type of attention. If not they can get mean and destructive like a Huskey can't. Germans have no problem biting people. One of the easiest dogs to get to bit strangers.....With IMO Rottwielers being number 1.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:57 PM   #10
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
No doubt that a forceful and well educated owner is critical and my aunt was certainly not the right type of person to have a Husky. In that regard though, I don't think a stubborn, strong-willed, dog with a heightened prey drive and one that is happiest in a pack setting outdoors would be the best choice to have around children in a suburban environment. Small animal prey drive can also be triggered when kids act like well, kids. I mean on a scale of 1-5 easy to hard breeds to own, a husky is about a 4. I think most knowledgeable dog enthusiasts would agree that it's a lot more challenging, generally speaking than owning a Golden Retriever for example.
I agree. The wolflike breeds although not always good guard dogs, can be snippy. I'd say kids under the teenage yrs would be 100% better off with a Golden Retriever.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #11
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Most people who have dogs who escape aren't excerised enough and trained properly.

I don't think dog breeders would say Huskeys need an electric fence lol. Not when properly trained and worked each day.

But if you don't want to play with your dog an hour a day at least, every day, then don't get a high energy dog like a Huskey. They will end up destroying, digging, chewing, and trying to get out to find something to do.

Someone mentioned German Shepards. They need the same type of attention. If not they can get mean and destructive like a Huskey can't. Germans have no problem biting people. One of the easiest dogs to get to bit strangers.....With IMO Rottwielers being number 1.
Good call on German Shepherds. When well bred and well trained, they are an amazing dog, when they are poorly bred (as is often the case) and not trained they are neurotic, prone to "fear bite" and often have hip problems. My current dog is a Border Collie and he is hands down the best dog I've ever owned (smart, energetic, good around other dogs, surprisingly good watchdog, great personality etc.)
Old 07-26-2012, 12:09 AM   #12
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:

When my roommate got a husky from a husky rescue, that was a prerequisite for him getting the dog. He didn't maintain the fence and the dog escaped constantly. She also dug up our back yard, dug through our fence,ruined our screen door, peed inside regularly, knocked over and tore up our trash on a daily basis, would steal food off the counter, the list of transgressions goes on. He didn't do a great job of training her, but he did exercise her regularly. The dog I had growing up was a husky mix and she did the exact same things.

Quote:

I agree, I don't agree that huskies are no more destructive when bored than other dog breeds. I will always discourage anyone that asks me for advice about getting a husky because they absolutely ruin property when they are bored and they get bored very easily.

Quote:
I have only met 2 mean rotties that I can think of, I know that statistics bear out German shepherds being more likely to bite than most breeds, but I'm not aware of Rottweilers being common biters (especially those that aren't abused or trained as guard dogs).

Last edited by misturanderson; 07-26-2012 at 12:38 AM..
misturanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:12 AM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Good call on German Shepherds. When well bred and well trained, they are an amazing dog, when they are poorly bred (as is often the case) and not trained they are neurotic, prone to "fear bite" and often have hip problems. My current dog is a Border Collie and he is hands down the best dog I've ever owned (smart, energetic, good around other dogs, surprisingly good watchdog, great personality etc.)
Heard a lot of great things about Border Collies. I always assume i may be a bit too lazy for one. My Jindos good with about a 30 minute walk each day. They are really good about just chasing birds and other animals in the yard for hours entertaining themselves.

But they are super agile. They will chase things right over a 6 foot wall when young and in their prime. No joke cat like attributes. When mine where younger I would come home and they would be laying in front yard. Once trained though and settled down out of wild teenage years they would stay in backyard with gate open. But super high prey drive you really cant get out of them. My girl Tara has caught squirrels before they can get up a tree by getting about 6-7 feet up those suckers on a run. That was years ago though, she is 14 now and lost most of her speed. She still gets around though really well.

Best thing about a Jindo is they are incredibly cheep to own. They don't get sick.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:22 AM   #14
Bacchus

Quote:
The very best dog I ever had was a St. Bernard. Very loyal, Super great with kids and just dopey enough to laugh at while drinking beer.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:41 AM   #15
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

We don't have a big yard, and really aren't big dog people. I want something closer to mid-sized, and what I read about the Siberian Husky is that they are that. I think we've ruled out the Husky or the wolf breeds altogether - unless they are bred with a smaller, tamer dog.

My last dog, Ollie, was a border collie/Chihuahua mix - the most awesome mix ever. It was an unlikely mix, and he turned out to be the greatest dog I've ever owned. That's what I really want - Ollie back. But what are you going to do...

Anyway, my wife is saying "no" right now, but when I find the right dog, she won't be able to resist me.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:53 AM   #16
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

This looks like a promising breed:

Shikoku:
http://shikokudog.com/

Very expensive though...
Old 07-26-2012, 02:59 AM   #17
Meck77

I was going to suggest border collie. I have pure breed and when I go to the dog park all the kids gravitate towards him and often leave theirs dogs behind. He's a ball retrieving/frisbee catching machine and the kids can't get enough of him. May not be the best fit with a smaller yard though. Having had one yourself you already know what I'm talking about. Not sure what the personality of a chihuahua/border collie mix is though!
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:04 AM   #18
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
I was going to suggest border collie. I have pure breed and when I go to the dog park all the kids gravitate towards him and often leave theirs dogs behind. He's a ball retrieving/frisbee catching machine and the kids can't get enough of him. May not be the best fit with a smaller yard though. Having had one yourself you already know what I'm talking about. Not sure what the personality of a chihuahua/border collie mix is though!
Ollie was a homebody, who loved to run - but usually on his terms. He was fond of going on walks to get out, but at the slightest hint of rain or bad weather, he refused many a walk preferring the comfort of the fireplace or his bed. But man, when he ran, boy did he run. We called him Barry Sanders Dog because of the little jukes and cuts he would make, and near missed he would miraculously avoid. He was whip smart - too smart sometimes. The Chihuahua in him made him cautious, but the Border Collie in him made him an awesome hiking dog. It was a great mix.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:18 AM   #19
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

We have a two year old Siberian Husky at the moment, he's an incredibly good natured dog. They can be quite stubborn, I have to agree with that, and he's not the best guard dog in the world as he's afraid of strangers and tends to hide when they come to the house! Once he knows somebody isn't out to get him though he's extremely friendly.

I'd recommend them a lot. Wouldn't exactly describe him as mid-sized though, he's absolutely massive!
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:33 AM   #20
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

White German Shepard.

My buddy has one named Thor and he's awesome. Never barks unless there's something actually wrong, very mellow.

I had two Rhodesian Ridgebacks growing up, and they were fantastic as well. They're big dogs though (up to 100+). Great with kids, though, and pretty mild mannered.

Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:31 AM   #21
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Richard III was a field guide.

Yes, as you can see from my Avatar, I also have a White German Sheppard. Like you said, very mellow dog. Only barks at the rabbits in the back yard that I swear taunt him. He is a bit of a whiner at times though.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:39 AM   #22
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Look into a golden doodle. Extremely smart, well behaved, and beautiful. Don't shed near as much, if at all. Plus, they are resistant to disease.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:40 AM   #23
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Booey View Post
White German Shepard.

My buddy has one named Thor and he's awesome. Never barks unless there's something actually wrong, very mellow.

I had two Rhodesian Ridgebacks growing up, and they were fantastic as well. They're big dogs though (up to 100+). Great with kids, though, and pretty mild mannered.

Nailed it!
White German Shepards rule! Great dog with a very loyal personality, and rarely barks. Good watchdog, and an imposing animal. People tend to be aware of these dogs.
Ridgebacks are another fantastic animal. GREAT WITH KIDS. Your right on.
Again, a big, imposing dog that will make a burglar think twice.
A huge issue are dogs that bark, and both of these dogs are naturally not big barkers.
However, whatever dog the author of this thread gets, it MUST be properly trained.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:46 AM   #24
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

After having a few mutts and mixes, I'll never own another purebred dog again. Too many health problems with too many of them.

Plus, with so many animals in the shelter, why not head there to find your new friend?

My dog Missoula is the sweetest animal, loves to play, and weighs about 40 pounds. She's an American Foxhound/OTHER mix, and is just fantastic.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #25
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Blue Heeler. Smart, moderate size and good family dog. Also if you have sheep they are amazing at herd control if trained. And really really smart.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote