The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > Maniac Community Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5
Default OT - Heading to Maui

Taking a family trip with 2 kids, have the airfare and place to stay. Any suggestions beyond Trip Advisor as far as things to do, places to see, where to eat? We are staying on the Northern part of the island.

Any suggestions including driving with hookers while on Ambien will be seriously considered before I rule them out.

Last edited by ghwk; 07-24-2012 at 09:15 AM..
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
TonyR
Franchise Poster

You mean Maui?

If yes, one of the funnest things we did was a catamaran trip to Molokini. All you could drink beers, snorkling in the crater. It was reasonably priced and a very good time. But, I'm talking about a dozen years ago that I did this, and no kids at the time.

One of the worst things? Luau. SO overrated and overpriced. If you're going to do one I would suggest maybe looking into the more authentic one that I think was in Lahaina.

Last edited by TonyR; 07-24-2012 at 07:25 AM..
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
t-diddy
Seasoned Veteran

Sounds like a great family vacation. I've been twice but not with kiddos. Go check out the black sand beaches of Hana... actually, the entire "road to Hana" experience is pretty cool.
t-diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
You mean Maui?
I was wondering that, but it could also be Kauai. The K is right next to the M.

Maui or Kauai, ghwk?
Broncobiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
Meck77

Some advice on saving money. I did two weeks in Kauai this summer. First week blew through all sorts of money until I discovered the costco. Loaded up on beer, wine, seafood etc at the fraction of the cost on the rest of the island.

Even the local markets are super expensive. Costco seems to have been able to keep prices similar to the mainland.

Never been to maui though. Hear it's probably better for kids. More developed but probably more kid friendly with options.
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #6
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-diddy View Post
Sounds like a great family vacation. I've been twice but not with kiddos. Go check out the black sand beaches of Hana... actually, the entire "road to Hana" experience is pretty cool.

this, seven falls also is a blast. Anywhere with waterfalls and hiking was fun, i went there in 8th grade or so, so this is from a kid's perspective back then
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
this, seven falls also is a blast. Anywhere with waterfalls and hiking was fun, i went there in 8th grade or so, so this is from a kid's perspective back then
Isnt that 7 falls on the road to Hana? That was a fun trip around the island. Twisty road
Old 07-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Rent a Jeep, do the Road to Hana, spend some time in Hana Town. Spending the night up there should be a possibility, but you'll need reservations. Very cool.

And hopefully where you're staying has a kitchen and/or a grill you can use. I loaded up at the grocery and we cooked all but a couple meals in. Fresh seafood and pork, great fruit.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
You mean Maui?

If yes, one of the funnest things we did was a catamaran trip to Molokini. All you could drink beers, snorkling in the crater. It was reasonably priced and a very good time. But, I'm talking about a dozen years ago that I did this, and no kids at the time.

One of the worst things? Luau. SO overrated and overpriced. If you're going to do one I would suggest maybe looking into the more authentic one that I think was in Lahaina.
No mauai dammit. I've been spelling it wrong for years.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #10
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncobiv View Post
I was wondering that, but it could also be Kauai. The K is right next to the M.

Maui or Kauai, ghwk?
Maui, see post above.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #11
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
Some advice on saving money. I did two weeks in Kauai this summer. First week blew through all sorts of money until I discovered the costco. Loaded up on beer, wine, seafood etc at the fraction of the cost on the rest of the island.

Even the local markets are super expensive. Costco seems to have been able to keep prices similar to the mainland.

Never been to maui though. Hear it's probably better for kids. More developed but probably more kid friendly with options.
We did Kauai a few times (although it's been 7 years since we were last in Hawaii) aned really liked the island due to it's pace but we stayed on the east side and it is all probably built up now. We had a real hard time finding any restaurant that was worth the money and as you siad it gets really expensive fast. Plus in general the restaurant service sucked. Generally kids that thought they were just going to drop out from the mainland and actually found they had to work for a living. They tend to share thier pain and general disdain for tourists. The more we just BBQ'd at the condo we rented the better the meals were and the more hassle free the trip so even while on Maui we will mix it up. Problem with Costco is we just don't need that much bulk food so we will probably hit up Safeway or local markets for fish, chicken etc. More expensive than Costco but still cheaper than going out.

Last edited by ghwk; 07-24-2012 at 09:27 AM..
Old 07-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #12
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
It will be great with kids but would be great without them too.

Going to have to wait a few more years before I can pull that one off. Airfare is bloody expensive for 4, even having booked back in April.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
We drove out there, it was a long trip on some narrow roads I remember 1 lane bridges and having to get around lots of buses but it was possibly the favorite part of our trip.

I wouldn't do the Haliakala(SP?) again, I am not a morning person and it blew a day and a half until I rebounded with enough rest.

There was a planatation tour that was interesting.

We had dinner at Mama's, not sure if it is still there.

Look for the small local things like state parks and stay away from the commercial stuff like luau's.

I would certainly go back to Hawaii again.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #14
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
Taking a family trip with 2 kids, have the airfare and place to stay. Any suggestions beyond Trip Advisor as far as things to do, places to see, where to eat? We are staying on the Northern part of the island.

Any suggestions including driving with hookers while on Ambien will be seriously considered before I rule them out.
Road. To. Hana.
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #15
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

I agree with the Molokine boat and snorkeling tour. A sail boat would have been better (we were on a power boat) but the snorkeling was great.

We also biked down the volcano. http://www.bikemaui.com/ I am not sure if that is the company we used but it was a relaxing time and a good reason to go all the way up the volcano.

You already mentioned that you have accommodations but for others who are interested you should check out people who are renting their condo's. We went with another couple and ended up paying less then $100 per night per couple for a nice condo. Same as Meck we stocked up on food and beer at Costco and saved a small fortune.

Have fun.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #16
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Bike down the volcano. Just don't go on the sunrise trip.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #17
Grover
Rookie

Where exactly are you staying? I know you said North side, but is that by Kahului/Wauluki, or is it North West around Lahaina?

There is an aquarium (Maui Ocean Center) at Ma'alea Harbor. It's a great place for kids, and a terrific place to go if it's raining outside or you need a break from the beach.

Get yourself a copy of the guidebook Maui Revealed.

There's horseback riding, Honolua Bay or Black Rock for snorkeling plus many other fantastic locations, a blow hole on Nakalele Bay. Zip line excursions on Haleakala. Farmers Markets to get the best fresh papaya, pineapple, and honey bananas, banana bread and quacamole. If you're in Lahaina, I'd recommend the restaurant Honu. Great views and great food, and it's a pizza place as well as seafood, so you can hit it for lunch or early dinner, so would be "fairly inexpensive" for a family.

If you'r a golfer, check out Kahili Golf Course. It's cheaper than the resort courses and has fantastic hillside views, plus it's a fun course to play.

Last edited by Grover; 07-24-2012 at 11:10 AM..
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #18
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Where exactly are you staying? I know you said North side, but is that by Kahului/Wauluki, or is it North West around Lahaina?

There is an aquarium (Maui Ocean Center) at Ma'alea Harbor. It's a great place for kids, and a terrific place to go if it's raining outside or you need a break from the beach.

Get yourself a copy of the guidebook Maui Revealed.

There's horseback riding, Honolua Bay or Black Rock for snorkeling plus many other fantastic locations, a blow hole on Nakalele Bay. Zip line excursions on Haleakala. Farmers Markets to get the best fresh papaya, pineapple, and honey bananas, banana bread and quacamole. If you're in Lahaina, I'd recommend the restaurant Honu. Great views and great food, and it's a pizza place as well as seafood, so you can hit it for lunch or early dinner, so would be "fairly inexpensive" for a family.

If you'r a golfer, check out Kahili Golf Course. It's cheaper than the resort courses and has fantastic hillside views, plus it's a fun course to play.
Napili area. And yes I'm a golfer but don't plan on bringing clubs at the moment, still I may check that out as my oldest son can now swing a club well enough to get around the course. I think zip line is a great idea so will check that out and hopefully the kids will be into it too.

Thanks also for the Honu suggestion, I hadn't heard that one before and it sounds like a good mix to satisfy the kids and my wife and I.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #19
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Bike down the volcano. Just don't go on the sunrise trip.
I agree, the only way I am up at sunrise on a vacation is if I haven't gone to bed yet.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #20
Grover
Rookie

We stay on Napili Bay quite often, and we'll be there in October this year.

There is a coastal trail that starts at the beach parking lot next to Merriman's restaurant at Kapalua Beach, and extends around the point to Flemings Beach. Please don't miss out on that. Great for family excursions and it's beautifully impressive. Depending on where you're staying at Napili, you can walk a road through through the Bay golf course on Pineapple Hill as a shortcut back.

There is also a rocky point near the Ritz Carlton called Dragon's Teeth that is an exciting and wild place to see. Look it up on Yelp. You walk down the side of a fairway on the Bay Course to get there.

Both Napili Beach and Kapalua Beach are terrific for snorkeling. And great family beaches with sea turtles. The Napili side near Napili Kai is protected and is a great place for the smaller kids.

The farmer's market is on the lower road in Honokowai, maybe 3 miles south of Napili. The farmers market goes on 3 mornings a week, but the farmers market store is open daily and it's the same stuff.

There's a fish store in a little strip shopping mall just north of the farmers market, with fresh fish daily.

That's it for my suggestions. Have a great trip!
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #21
Dutch
The Flying Dutchman

Leatherneck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
Rent a Jeep, do the Road to Hana, spend some time in Hana Town. Spending the night up there should be a possibility, but you'll need reservations. Very cool.

And hopefully where you're staying has a kitchen and/or a grill you can use. I loaded up at the grocery and we cooked all but a couple meals in. Fresh seafood and pork, great fruit.
This! I told my buddy about this when he took his kids a couple of years ago, and it turned out to be the highlight of their trip. They had so much fun, they bought a Wrangler when they got home and have been Jeepin' as a family ever since.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #22
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

I have been there several times and it's expensive but well worth the money. Do Mama's Fishouse and the Old Lahaina luau and if you’re a golfer the Plantation course is a must. We always try to do a twilight booze cruise (kids are welcome), I swear you can hear the sun sizzle when it drops in the ocean.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #23
thechamp

Here today, gone to maui
Old 07-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #24
tnedator
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
He be gone..

Heading up Haliakala (biking down if you're into that -- mostly just a gravity thing).

Walking around Lahaina.

Taking a drive on the road to Hana/7 sacred pools. Basically, you drive through an area that is a rain forest, with places to stop and take pictures or walk around (creeks, small waterfalls and stuff), and then wind up at a park area where the seven sacred pools are.

If you guys like snorkling, lots of great places, whether along the shore, or taking a boat/catamaran excursion.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #25
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Thanks everyone 48 hours from now it's Mai Tai Time!