The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
manchambo
Ring of Famer

Default Anyone Work for a Car Dealer?

I've got a strange situation. A little over a month ago I leased a new car, trading the old one. A few weeks later, my wife gets a letter saying that her car has been paid off. We look on line and mine has not been paid off. I call the finance manager, he looks into it and says that sure enough they paid off the wrong one. He doesn't really explain how they could pay off a different make, model, type, color and vin, not to mention that the pay off was substantially less than the car I traded. Anyway, he says there will be no problem fixing it, should be done within 72 hrs. About two weeks pass, we hear nothing back from him but check online and my wife's car is still paid off and mine isn't. I called the finance manager Friday but still haven't heard back.

Now something seems very fishy in all this but I can't figure out what sort of game they could be playing. Obviously they couldn't get away in the long run with paying off the wrong car, and why would they want to? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
manchambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2012, 04:43 AM   #2
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

How on Earth did the dealership even get the necessary info to pay off your wife's car? They'd both have to be in your name and financed through the same exact bank, same wire info, etc.
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #3
gto2005
Just Drafted

This is a very serious issue. I would recommend that you contact the General Manager at the dealership and let him know that you need a personal call back immediately or you are going to report him to the states attorney generals office for finance fraud. Once you get him/her on the phone you need notify that person that if this is not fixed immediately you will report them to the authorities for fraud. I would also get the general managers email and send the same message in writing via email.

I would also contact the finance companies for your wifes car and your car that you traded in and let them know what has happened and let them know that it was the auto dealer that is at fault.

If you don't get this fixed go to the states attorney general, your local sherriffs department and the manufacturer consumer relations and report to them what has happened.

Bottom line, if this dealership goes out of business you may be on the hook for still paying off the remaining balance of your vehicle you traded in.

This could be an honest mistake or they could be doing this to more than just you because they are running out of cash and are close to going broke. You are better off protecting yourself

Last edited by gto2005; 07-24-2012 at 06:44 AM..
gto2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #4
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Were both cars in your name? Or through the same bank? The trade documentation SHOULD have all of the dealership needed for an exact ten day payoff from whichever lending institution held the title of your vehicle. I'm a an auto broker, so please pm me if you have any questions. Sounds kind of fishy to me.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
DenverBroncosJM
Post here Vine

Do not cancel the insurance on the car you traded in. Keep it insured until this gets fixed. Make the dealership pay you back for the increased premium.
DenverBroncosJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Ok, just got to work and am reading over your post again.

I agree with GTO wholeheartedly, it's a VERY serious issue. There are only a few ways they could have "legally" gotten her information and screwed up the payoff.

1. She filled out a joint credit application with you on the new lease, and saw her loan on HER credit report.

2. You co-signed on her car initially, and it's on YOUR report.

3. You had both of your cars at the same bank (under the same account), and they pulled it that way.

Other than that, there is no way they could (or should) have had access to her account information. Whenever you call a lending institution to get a 10 day payoff (in a trade situation, you're paying off the lienholder so that the title can be transferred to the dealership through the state), they require either a Social Security Number or an account number, as well as the customer's information and the vehicle information. Unless you guys had the exact same year make and model, it's highly unlikely that they could've flubbed that up.

First thing I'd do is go back through your paperwork, look at the "dealers bill of sale" and the "power of attorney for a motor vehicle" forms. Both of them are carbon copies, and the latter of the two will be your trade documentation. Make sure that document has the vin and exact mileage from YOUR trade. If it's different, and you signed it, there could be some problems.

Lemme know

Last edited by Boobs McGee; 07-24-2012 at 08:47 AM..
Old 07-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
Conklin
Ring of Famer

call the GM immediately, also a quick call to the new vehicle's manufacturer's finance customer service line will definitely light a spark under the dealerships ass
Conklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Good luck. They should have handled it that day. I just don't understand people and their unwellingness to make up for their mistakes. It's so effing stupid. We know you blew it, do the right thing and set it right.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

File a complaint with the Car Dealer Licensing Board in your respective state:

http://www.dmv.org/buy-sell/car-dealers/
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Someone is going to have to pay late penalties and than there is the issue of your credit rating. Good luck fixing that.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
Bigloco

What's the dealership (if its in Colorado)?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #12
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Give me the number of the car dealership and the name of a local paper and and a reporter that works there.

"Hi, we're running a story about consumer fraud in the local community and we have reports of "this". Do you have any comment before we mention your business in our story?"
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
manchambo
Ring of Famer

Thanks for all the responses. They confirm that I'm not being paranoid and I should get aggressive with this. I am an attorney, so there will definitely be a letter to the gm going out on firm letterhead tomorrow (unfortunatunately I'm traveling today-been traveling a ton so I haven't been n top of this as I should).

In answer to the questions: the trade was in my name, my wife's car was in both our names, and the lease is in both. So, based on the above, it seems they had the info necessary to pull her car, though is still don't see how they could confuse it that badly. It's an suv and mine was a coup, not to mention different make, color etc.

I prefer at this point not to name the dealer in the hope that this is an honest mistake or incompetence. I will say that it is a very reputable luxury dealership, definitely not the kind of place you'd expect shenanigans like this.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #14
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #15
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchambo View Post
Thanks for all the responses. They confirm that I'm not being paranoid and I should get aggressive with this. I am an attorney, so there will definitely be a letter to the gm going out on firm letterhead tomorrow (unfortunatunately I'm traveling today-been traveling a ton so I haven't been n top of this as I should).

In answer to the questions: the trade was in my name, my wife's car was in both our names, and the lease is in both. So, based on the above, it seems they had the info necessary to pull her car, though is still don't see how they could confuse it that badly. It's an suv and mine was a coup, not to mention different make, color etc.

I prefer at this point not to name the dealer in the hope that this is an honest mistake or incompetence. I will say that it is a very reputable luxury dealership, definitely not the kind of place you'd expect shenanigans like this.
Just a caution on this assumption, a friend of mine bought a very high end car from a luxury dealer only to find out the dealer was in bankruptcy and the car wasn't the dealers to sell at that point. He lost the car, got almost none of his money back and the dealer went to jail.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #16
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

You're an attorney and you're posting this legal question on a sports message board?
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #17
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Boy View Post
You're an attorney and you're posting this legal question on a sports message board?
Maybe he's a personal injury lawyer?
Old 07-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #18
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

He was posting a question about a car purchase, not a law question.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #19
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
He was posting a question about a car purchase, not a law question.
If they paid off the wrong car even a hairdresser would know they got a problem that demands immediate attention.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #20
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:

It sounds like they had access to all of the information they would've needed (since your name was on the car). There's a VERY slim chance for error, which they SHOULD recognize and fix once you talk with them. As far as your car goes, depending on when your payment was due, you have a 30 day window before it starts reporting negatively on your credit.

First thing I would do, is go through your paperwork that they shouldve given you on the new lease. Look for the Power of Attorney copy, and MAKE SURE it has the car you "thought" that you traded in's information. Vin, make, model, exact mileage. See if you signed it. Check through allll of the paperwork and see if ANY of your wife's vehicle's info is on there. And get on the horn with the dealership as quickly as you can.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #21
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Threaten them with a major lawsuit too. Fuggit. You're a lawyer.
Tombstone RJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #22
manchambo
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
If they paid off the wrong car even a hairdresser would know they got a problem that demands immediate attention.
I was certainly aware that I could sue them for what they did, but wanted to understand the workings of a car dealership. I don't practice trade-in pay off law. I try to focus on more lucrative areas.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #23
manchambo
Ring of Famer

OK, I called the gm and got an immediate response. They're overnighting a payoff of the actual trade in tonight. He was extremely embarrassed and apologetic.

Still no real explanation of why it happened or why it wasn't fixed when I first brought it to the finance manager's attention. But it looks like it will be fixed.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #24
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
I was certainly aware that I could sue them for what they did, but wanted to understand the workings of a car dealership. I don't practice trade-in pay off law. I try to focus on more lucrative areas.
I sure you do but letting two weeks go by without saying anything and coming here for advise makes one wonder how you passed the bar exam.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #25
manchambo
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I sure you do but letting two weeks go by without saying anything and coming here for advise makes one wonder how you passed the bar exam.
You mean not doing anything about it except immediately contacting the dealer, who told me they would fix it right away?